OtakuBoards

The Incredibles

Xander Harris

I got back from it just now. Very solid, funny movie. The writing was sharp, and the nonstop action during the latter half of the movie was very well done.

Frozone is the man, I wish there was more of him in the movie. He's such a badass. His fight with his wife near the end of the movie was awesome, too. I'd quote it for you, but it's a line that's best heard within the movie lol.

Edna 'E' Mode was so hilarious, too. She and Frozone are my favorite characters. "No cape!" Haha, she rules :D

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well I've only seen a few trailers for the film and read a review in one of the daily papers, however it seems good and I'll probably go see it either tomorrow or Thursday. When I first saw the trailer in my local cinema I actually thought it was a kids movie but from what you guys are saying it actually sounds pretty alright. Honestly I don't think it would take much effort to out do the current run of Marvel Films though Spiderman 2 was actually really enjoyable. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Kane][SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well I've only seen a few trailers for the film and read a review in one of the daily papers, however it seems good and I'll probably go see it either tomorrow or Thursday. When I first saw the trailer in my local cinema I actually thought it was a kids movie but from what you guys are saying it actually sounds pretty alright. Honestly I don't think it would take much effort to out do the current run of Marvel Films though Spiderman 2 was actually really enjoyable. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

The great thing about most pixar films is that they aren't just for kids. (although I think 'Cars' will be... the preview looked like something only a five year old could love... blech)

I liked the marvel films, but I just thought The Incredibles did a much better job of things.

Plus, it's funny and has groundbreaking animation. Go see it.

I thought the movie was very funny and had a lot of good graphics and better animation (oh course since it is a Pixar movie :beer: ). I saw it two times with my friends and family, the acting was spectacular and the story line was just awsome and matched well with movie. My favorite characters would have to be Edna and Mr. Incredible because their both funny and really made the movie enjoyable.

This movie simply rocked the house! The graphics were awesome, the voice acting was great, and the plot was really sound. I really liked the different names they had for the varoius heros, and the way they (the superheros) used their powers was just great!

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I enjoyed it for the most part. The only thing that gets me is how cliched most of it is. Maybe they wanted to make a point of being cliched ([spoiler]villain on a volcanic hi-tech island, the Urd-looking lady changing sides like that...[/spoiler]), but that point has been lost on the James-Bond-parody audience a long time ago. At this point it's either just plain cliched or it's asinine, take your pick.

There's another gripe I have, and it's a bit personal: there were no Batman or Superman jokes. I mean come on! Those jokes are [i]always[/i] funny, and this movie had 10000 opportunities to throw one in. It blew each and every one. The "no capes" scene! Gimme a break! I just thought of three Batman/Superman jokes that could've been in there off the top of my head....

I also wish the Incredibles weren't the Fantastic Four in different guise. Strechy, strong, force field generating + invisible, fiery. They got all four. Well, they added another in, but still it's yet another giant cliche to throw into the bin.

Despite all that, I did enjoy it. They squeeze a heck of a lot of plot into the film but it isn't paced frantically, which is a sign of a good movie. The voice acting and animation are of course top-notch; that's a given. And the [spoiler]Omnidroid[/spoiler] (permission to use term granted by Lucasfilm Ltd., lol) was sweet!

Overall, The Incredibles is lots of good stuff, a bit of bad stuff. If the plot wasn't so overloaded with lameness and predictability, it'd be spectacular.

[quote name='ScirosDarkblade']Overall, The Incredibles is lots of good stuff, a bit of bad stuff. If the plot wasn't so overloaded with lameness and predictability, it'd be spectacular.[/quote]

I didn't really mind the plot, but some of the dialogue in the second half kind of got to me. There were better, subtler ways the writers could have conveyed the whole warm, fuzzy "embrace your family" message they were trying to get across. Granted, the parts which (for me at least) rang false weren't nearly as irritating or moralistic as those in most movies aimed at the younger set.

While the writing could have been a bit better, the graphics were incredible. And I'm glad I'm not the only one thought Mirage looked like Urd, heh.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't think the plot was that bad, especially for a 'family' movie. I especially like the whole 'superheroes get sued' concept at the start of the movie.

As far as characters, Frozone was definatly the best, and it's a shame that he didn't have a larger role. Edna was great, too. Of course, the other characters have their moments, like when Mr. Incredible picks up his truck and the kid sees him do it, or when Elastigirl gets stuck in the doors. And the baby (I forget his name) beating on Syndrome at the end was just great. I definatly enjoyed this movie.

I saw the movie yesterday, and I must admit.. I was extremely pleased. ^_^ I had high expectations based on what I heard from other people who saw it, and they were surpassed for the most part, I'd say. It's definitely going on my "list of movies to buy when they are released to DVD".

The movie was just so.. satisfying. It had a lot of hype, and once I saw it I knew why. A lot of movies lately have been a big let down so this was a refreshing change of pace. Most, if not all, Pixar films have been like that too - generally a very solid story and script, and I don't think there's one movie from them that I didn't like, heh. It's great how they find a way to appeal to all age groups.

I enjoyed making predictions throughout the movie, as well. More specifically, [spoiler]the baby showing his powers around the baby sitter[/spoiler] and [spoiler]the demise of Syndrome being caused by his cape[/spoiler] were things that I saw coming, but not [spoiler]Incredible Boy becoming a bad guy[/spoiler].. which was a pretty good idea, heh. Of course, the animation was spectacular as well, but that's to be expected. ^_^ Frozone was cool, and I agree that there should be more of him, but Edna was just kind of annoying, in my opinion. :p One of those stuck-up designer ladies. ;_;

Am I the only one who thinks that Elastigirl is attractive, especially with the lisp-type-thing of hers? XD

[quote name='Syk3']Am I the only one who thinks that Elastigirl is attractive, especially with the lisp-type-thing of hers? XD[/quote]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=INDIGO]
I'm not the only one! [I]Thank GOD![/I].

Anyway, the movie was fantastic and helluh funny. I think I prefer it to Finding Nemo. (Jason Lee and Samuel Jackson rocked my socks.)
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=darkred]I don't mind Pixar movies at all. As long as the plot isn't something ridiculously stupid, then I'm happy. I'm more concerned with the comedy, and listening to the dialogue and the jokes that the characters crack within the movies mainly, because they're always a barrel of laughs, and I find them to be almost as compelling as the plot itself. As a result of it, Toy Story's 1 and 2 and Finding Nemo are among my favourite movies of all time.[/color]

[quote name='Syk3']Frozone was cool, and I agree that there should be more of him, but Edna was just kind of annoying, in my opinion. :p One of those stuck-up designer ladies. ;_;[/quote]

That's why I thought she was so funny. Edna is such an absurd caricature of fashion designers lol. I probably like her almost as much as I do Frozone. She's hilarious.

Oh, and if you like Elastigirl's lisp, you should watch Silence of the Lambs. I swear that her lisp sounds just like Jodie Foster's lol. So much so that I thought Jodie Foster was doing the voice of Elastigirl :p

[SIZE=1]I actually learned an interesting little fact about Pixar films recently, seemingly John Ratzenberger (the guy who played Cliff in Cheers) has had a part in every Pixar film to date (I only recognise him as the Piggy Bank from Toy Story), he's supposed to be their lucky mascot or something along those lines. Just seemed interesting.[/SIZE]

[font=georgia][color=blue][i]I saw this movie last week while I was visiting my boyfriend.

He lives in Witchita and I'm from the Bay Area, California. I started cracking up at the beginning of the movie when Mr. Incredible was driving through the streets of Berkeley, since I used to live & work there!

Frozone & Edna were two of my favorite characters. I didn't see the baby's ability coming, to be really honest. I definatly thought it was cool.

And I did't really understand Mirage's ability...maybe I just missed something.[/font][/color][/i]

[quote name='Rames brother of James']Oh, and if you like Elastigirl's lisp, you should watch Silence of the Lambs. I swear that her lisp sounds just like Jodie Foster's lol. So much so that I thought Jodie Foster was doing the voice of Elastigirl :p[/quote]Ooooh, I'd like to see that then. :o

I do have one question, I just realized, relating to [spoiler]the baby's ability. What is it? O_o; Going berserk? I saw.. him being able to turn into a really heavy metal, and change into a demon. I don't relate either to superhero powes, haha.[/spoiler]

Regarding two questions listed above:

Mirage had no super powers; she just had a cool codename.

[spoiler]Baby Jack's powers were a reflection of everything Edna designed his costume for. She said it was fire proof and bullet proof, so Jack lit himself on fire, and became bullet proof. The little devil thing I can only assume was a joke about Terrible Twos.[/spoiler]

I thought the movie was surprisingly deep, when you look at the underlying themes: not the ones about family, but the ones about society.

What idea keeps coming up in the film, echoed by Syndrome and Dash? The idea of some people being "special". Dash says it himself: if everyone's special, isn't that just another way of saying that no one's special?

In modern society, we constantly tell our children that they're all special, and can do anything when reality tells us otherwise. Incredi-Boy's insistance that he could be a super-hero was the logical regergitation and perversion of that philosiphy: I can be anything I want; why can't I be a super hero?

And, of course, the great tragedy of Syndrome's character is that he was "special", but he was so blinded by his obsession with super heroes that he didn't use his technological prowess towards heroic ends. He was so fixated on super heroics that he'd rather do evil things in an attempt to appear heroic than be a good, "average" person achieving heroic things.

We tell ourselves that we can be anything we want, which creates the entitlement idea. Incredi-Boy wanted to be a hero, and felt that he deserved to simply because he wanted to.

Yet, at the same time, what happened to the truely "special" heroes in the movie? They're torn down by society, and made to be just like everyone else. The mentality displayed was that the truely unique and gifted had to lower themselves to sub-par performance to secure the egos of those who didn't have such abilities. Violet and Dash were good contrasts of the results of such a mindset: Violet saw her abilities as a hassel, whereas Dash saw his inability to use them as a hassel.

Mr. Incredible, however, was the best of both worlds; he wasn't only "special" because of his powers; he was simply a good person. Mrs. Incredible was wrong; he wasn't trying to relive the glory days. He was just trying to help people the best he could, and he couldn't deal with the artifical restrictions placed on his ability to do so. Whereas Syndrome was focused soley on glory and popularity, Mr. Incredible worked in secret until the very end of the movie. "Perfect heroism means doing unwittnessed what you're capable of doing before the entire world".

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw The Incredibles. I thought it was going to be a totally silly slapstick movie, and it wasn't! It had very funny moments, but also had quite a few poignant parts too.

I loved how they portrayed the characters in such a realistic way. The "aging" super heros, family life, etc...

the fear of becoming older, hiding who you really are. It was just a great movie. I'm so happy I went and saw this movie.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]Though Toy Story is my favorite Pixar movie, The Incredibles is a close second. I've never really liked anything from Pixar since TS, but the idea of The Incredibles had enough lure to get me to see it...twice actually. [spoiler]I didn't expect Incredi-boy to be Syndrome later on, kinda caught me by suprise.[/spoiler] I really enjoyed the storyline and found Frozone one of my favorite characters. [spoiler]Yelling at his wife, asking for where his super suit was one of the funniest parts of the film.[/spoiler] It's about time, to me, that Pixar actually made a good movie since Toy Story...[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]The Incredibles was finally released in Ireland last weekend, and I must saw it was one of the most enjoyable film experiences I've ever had, definitely one of the Buy on DVDs list. I went in there with fairly high expectations from what I'd read here but it simply blew me away, I liked the film so much that I saw it twice in the space of 24 hours, on both Friday and Saturday night, yes that might have been a little sad.

The whole "[I]Being Special[/I]" theme as Deathbug pointed out was something that I found very noticeable, I was actually a little sad to see Buddy's gift go to waste when indeed he could have been a great Superhero. The whole frustration issue between Violet and Dash regarding the use of their powers was also very noticeable, Dash's belief that his powers were something he should be free to use and Violet?s frustration at not being normal. I think Syndrome?s line where he tells Mr Incredible that once he sells his inventions to everyone and "then when everybody is special, no one will be" is the quintessential point they're trying to make.

Overall I thought it was a great little film and if any Pixar film deserved a sequel (apart from Toy Story since it already had one) then it would definitely be this. Also Elastigirl was played by Holly Hunter, not Jodie Foster.[/size]

[QUOTE=DeathBug]
What idea keeps coming up in the film, echoed by Syndrome and Dash? The idea of some people being "special". Dash says it himself: if everyone's special, isn't that just another way of saying that no one's special?

In modern society, we constantly tell our children that they're all special, and can do anything when reality tells us otherwise. Incredi-Boy's insistance that he could be a super-hero was the logical regergitation and perversion of that philosiphy: I can be anything I want; why can't I be a super hero?

[/QUOTE]

Heh. Yeah, after we came out of the theatre I said to my dad "y'know, that movie had a surprisingly strong conservative ideology behind it" Take that as good or bad as you will. The movie leaves you with some stuff to think about on the equality of people.

i think the movie was very humorous. it was funny on one hand but also very odd on the other. i never really expected it to turn out the way it is. since the previews made it seem so much different than what it really was. it was very entertaining though i didnt get to enjoy it too much on a count my little cousin was crawling all over me while we were watching it. he kept kicking me while the suppositly "scary" parts would come on. all and all it was a excellent movie. still i think some characters could have used just a little help...