Dragon Warrior

Do you like Star Wars??  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Star Wars??

• Yes
    • No
    • Somewhat
    • What is Star Wars?

[quote name='Shinmaru']Anyway, I'll assume that some of you guys have seen the Episode III trailer by now. What did you guys think of it? Personally, I liked it, and it did what any movie trailer sets out to do: it intrigues you and gets you interested in the movie. I'm hoping beyond all hope that Episode III is where Lucas gets all of the pieces of the puzzle right, and comes out with a great film. Hell, I'll even accept a solid film, after the last two lol.[/quote]

[color=green]I saw it, and liked it a lot. There were a few brief scenes that had potential for corny-ness, but it should be good.

Let me rephrase that.

This needs to be the best Star Wars film ever made. The acting, plot, dialogue, CGI, props and everything else need to be stellar. Being the last Star Wars movie, this film's reviews will be how most of the public will remember Star Wars.

If it bombs like Episode I, I wouldn't be surprised to see a major backlash against Lucasarts, on a scale never before seen.[/color]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dMage']The whole Emperor controlling the Fleet is mentioned mostly by Zahn in the Thrawn trilogy. And, as for the bigger fleet, well...we know that tactically, the Rebels (under Ackbar, haha) were far more strategically adept than the Empire. Couple that, with the loss of your superweapon, and the loss of your Lords battleship (the Executor) and its no wonder that most of the Empire turned tail and ran...or just surrendered their ships.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I read most of the earlier EU about five or six years ago so my memory about the specifics of the story. The comment though about Ackbar is incorrect though, according to the novel [B]Dark Apprentice[/B], part two in the Jedi Academy series by Kevin J. Anderson, Ackbar actually learned all his tactical knowledge from Grand Moff Tarkin.

I do accept though with the loss of the Executor and the second Death Star your average Imperial troop might have surrendered but we're talking about the elite of the Stellar Navy. As such I think that may have even spurred them to fight harder, though as we later learn in the EU they Empire pretty much falls apart after their defeat at Endor.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Boba Fett][color=green]I saw it, and liked it a lot. There were a few brief scenes that had potential for corny-ness, but it should be good.

Let me rephrase that.

This needs to be the best Star Wars film ever made. The acting, plot, dialogue, CGI, props and everything else need to be stellar. Being the last Star Wars movie, this film's reviews will be how most of the public will remember Star Wars.

If it bombs like Episode I, I wouldn't be surprised to see a major backlash against Lucasarts, on a scale never before seen.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I haven't seen the trailer yet so I'm very much looking forward to seeing some of the up coming action in [B]Revenge of the Sith[/B], though the name still needs work if he decides to change it. I could have swore there was a trailer for ROTS in the new edition DVDs but I'll be damned if I can find it, I saw the kind of "[I]Making of It[/I]" but that didn't really have any spoilers to it.

I'm in one-hundred percent agreement with Dave on this one though, this film better be the best of the New Trilogy by a long margin and would even need to be better in parts than the Original Trilogy. If this does bomb then LucasArts can pretty much kiss it's credibility goodbye because after this nobody will want to either see or play anything they produce.

Actually if memory serves he's thinking about doing the EU like he did the [B]Young Indiana Jones[/B] series, it might work though he'd have to do certain books (most of the plot heavy ones) in parts rather than as single units. I'd personally like to see it though chances are if ROTS goes pear shaped he won't do anything else. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE]Dark Apprentice, part two in the Jedi Academy series by Kevin J. Anderson, Ackbar actually learned all his tactical knowledge from Grand Moff Tarkin. [/QUOTE]
That is true, but you must also remember that Tarkin was
1) the most brilliant tactician the Empire had (save Thrawn)
2) Incredibly secretive. No one but the Emperor (and even some things were kept "supposedly" secret from him) got to talk to Tarkin much, or even learn of his battle strategies. The reason why Ackbar learned from him was because he used to like to gloat in front of Ackbar and show him how his people (the Alliance) would be defeated by him.
so yea...thats all

[QUOTE=dMage]That is true, but you must also remember that Tarkin was
1) the most brilliant tactician the Empire had (save Thrawn)
2) Incredibly secretive. No one but the Emperor (and even some things were kept "supposedly" secret from him) got to talk to Tarkin much, or even learn of his battle strategies. The reason why Ackbar learned from him was because he used to like to gloat in front of Ackbar and show him how his people (the Alliance) would be defeated by him.
so yea...thats all[/QUOTE]

[color=green]I love it when people fall from high places due to arrogance.

He refused a shuttle, refused to accept that the Rebellion might have found a weakness in the Death Star, and died.

He underestimated both the rebellion's generals, and it's will to fight.

With him went the last of the intelligent Imperial officers...[/color]

[QUOTE=dMage]That is true, but you must also remember that Tarkin was
1) the most brilliant tactician the Empire had (save Thrawn)[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I would actually say that Tarkin was probably even more brilliant than Thrawn, after all it was after the defeat of the Empire and the death of the Emperor, Vader and many other Imperial Admirals that Thrawn came to power. Now I'm well aware that because Thrawn was a Chiss he wouldn't have been treated as fairly in terms of promotion but I still think that Tarkin was probably a better tactician only blinded by arrogance. Though in saying that it's been years since I've read the Thrawn Trilogy so I may be wrong. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=dMage]2) Incredibly secretive. No one but the Emperor (and even some things were kept "supposedly" secret from him) got to talk to Tarkin much, or even learn of his battle strategies. The reason why Ackbar learned from him was because he used to like to gloat in front of Ackbar and show him how his people (the Alliance) would be defeated by him.
so yea...thats all[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Actually if memory serves Ackbar was Tarkin's slave and as such he had no belief that a mere Mon Calamari might have the intelligence to comprehend Tarkin's stratgeies. In fact Tarkin used to discuss his strategies with other Imperials with Ackbar only meters away.

Actually Admiral Daala was Tarkin's lover and even though she was less brilliant than Tarkin he did impart many of his strategies to her before he died. In fact it was Tarkin who promoted her to the rank of Admiral even though she was a woman, because he saw potential in her, as well as something else...[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kane']Actually Admiral Daala was Tarkin's lover and even though she was less brilliant than Tarkin he did impart many of his strategies to her before he died. In fact it was Tarkin who promoted her to the rank of Admiral even though she was a woman, because he saw potential in her, as well as something else..[/quote]

[color=green]Bah, she was a pretty mediocre tactician. Anyone can play hit and run with a Hyperdrive and some turbolasers. I think she literally slept her way to the top, and then her superiors figured out she was a dud so Tarkin shipped her off to the maw so he wouldn't get in hot water over the whole thing.

...and probablly to allow him to get a new lover.[/color]

[QUOTE=Boba Fett][color=green]Bah, she was a pretty mediocre tactician. Anyone can play hit and run with a Hyperdrive and some turbolasers. I think she literally slept her way to the top, and then her superiors figured out she was a dud so Tarkin shipped her off to the maw so he wouldn't get in hot water over the whole thing.

...and probablly to allow him to get a new lover.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Heh well that sounds just like something that could happen in the Imperial Navy, if you're a woman and they discriminate against you just sleep with your boss and get a promotion. I have to admit that yes she was a very average tactician and her attack against Mon Calamari was defeated because she sued one of Tarkin's strategies which Ackbar was familiar with. Well that and she met her end because of the Sun Crusher, piloted by a young man whom she'd condemned to death, heh such an unlucky girl. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Siren]Ah, but if she had enough sense to sleep her way to the top, doesn't that make her a [i]better[/i'] tactician? ;)[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Of sorts, though as I said in our AIM conversation she'd probably have had a fairly big advantage since she was a young woman and Tarkin was an old man who probably hadn't gotten any since the days of the final days of the Old Republic. I can honestly say I never thought something like that would ever be said in this thread, though I guess we can all be wrong at some point ;) .[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=Teal]Daala probably wasn't one of the best Imperial Adrimals, loosing three Star Destroyers in such a short period of time isn't the best kind of incidint you want on your resume.

I personally like Pellaeon much better, one of my favorite imperial adrimals right after Thrawn. He really shows his stuff during the Yuuzhan Vong Wars, despite nearly loosing what the Remnent had left. He shows loyalty to his men and doesn't flinch in the face of fear. An all over very well rounded adrimal.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Tigervx][FONT=Arial][COLOR=Teal]I personally like Pellaeon much better, one of my favorite imperial adrimals right after Thrawn. He really shows his stuff during the Yuuzhan Vong Wars, despite nearly loosing what the Remnent had left. He shows loyalty to his men and doesn't flinch in the face of fear. An all over very well rounded adrimal.[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

[color=green]While I agree that Pellaeon is loyal to his men and holds steadfast against threats, I see him more as a leader than a tactician.[/color]

[QUOTE=Tigervx][FONT=Arial][COLOR=Teal]Daala probably wasn't one of the best Imperial Adrimals, loosing three Star Destroyers in such a short period of time isn't the best kind of incidint you want on your resume.

I personally like Pellaeon much better, one of my favorite imperial adrimals right after Thrawn. He really shows his stuff during the Yuuzhan Vong Wars, despite nearly loosing what the Remnent had left. He shows loyalty to his men and doesn't flinch in the face of fear. An all over very well rounded adrimal.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Yeah I guess you really wouldn't want to have to explain to your boss why you just lost three very valuable ships in a half-assed attack on a Rebel held planet where one of their best tacticians had retired.

I actually liked Pellaeon too, though I agree with Dave too, he was more of a leader than a tactician though he was a very good leader in his own right, not blinded by hate for the New Republic. He even stayed true to the cause after losing his son, whom I think was called Captain Davies, in the battle against the Vong in the NJO novel [B]The Final Prophecy[/B]. [/SIZE]

Woo dang. I like Pellaeon as well. Though I like the Imperial Remnant itself. They are basically what the New Republic was before they became the New Republic, until peace was signed of course.

I really like the Imperial Remnant in the NJO. When they jumped into the Ithor system and helped pull our Corran Horn and the battle at Ithor in the Dark Tide books, I got chills. The first book of the Force Heretic trilogy is quite possibly my favorite paperback of the NJO. I love the battle with the Remnant and Vong. Quite possibly my favorite right behind the invasion of Coruscant. Finally we get to see the Imperials actually flex their muscles at something, I love it, heh.

[QUOTE=Zeta]Woo dang. I like Pellaeon as well. Though I like the Imperial Remnant itself. They are basically what the New Republic was before they became the New Republic, until peace was signed of course.

I really like the Imperial Remnant in the NJO. When they jumped into the Ithor system and helped pull our Corran Horn and the battle at Ithor in the Dark Tide books, I got chills. The first book of the Force Heretic trilogy is quite possibly my favorite paperback of the NJO. I love the battle with the Remnant and Vong. Quite possibly my favorite right behind the invasion of Coruscant. Finally we get to see the Imperials actually flex their muscles at something, I love it, heh.[/QUOTE]

[color=green]This is the true Empire, the true spirit of the post-Republic goverment perverted by the Emperor and his dark Jedi followers.

Probablly the Empire's real golden age.[/color]

[QUOTE=Boba Fett][color=green]This is the true Empire, the true spirit of the post-Republic goverment perverted by the Emperor and his dark Jedi followers.

Probablly the Empire's real golden age.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Well you also have to remember that the only reason "The Empire" came to be was because of Palpatine and his dark Jedi followers, though more correctly they were Sith. Well except maybe for Vader since he was trained as a Jedi, and Dooku, does anyone actually know what the exact difference between a Sith and a Dark Jedi is ?

But yes I think the Remnant actually managed to pull itself together in the New Jedi Order series, perhaps this has to do with the fact that they were actually fighting an enemy with whom they could give it their all. When they were fighting the Rebellion they had to watch out for spies and treachery and the like but I highly doubt any Imperial would have turned traitor to the Vong.[/SIZE]

I'm sure you people have already discussed it, but I saw the trailer for the new episode the other day. Once more, I'm sure you people have already seen it ages ago. But I was excited. I also dropped a brick when I saw it come on during the previews of a movie I went to see. OMG, the excitement >:^D

And Anakin was evilness :(

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]I'm sure you people have already discussed it, but I saw the trailer for the new episode the other day. Once more, I'm sure you people have already seen it ages ago. But I was excited. I also dropped a brick when I saw it come on during the previews of a movie I went to see. OMG, the excitement >:^D

And Anakin was evilness :([/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]The last post about it was fifteen replies ago, one of mine actually. As I said back then I haven't seen the trailer, for some reason fans here in Europe always have to wait ages for anything compared to America. From what I've seen about [B]Revenge of the Sith[/B] from the Extras Disk in the Star Wars DVD Trilogy it looks as if the mixture just might have got better. I think that in the new trilogy they focused a little too much on the romance aspect of Anakin and Padmé as opposed to the more obvious political upheaval. I remember seeing Hayden as Vader for the first time and it sent a shiver down my back, I can't wait to see the proper film in May of next year though no doubt everyone is.

[[I]Has reached 1000 posts as of this one.[/I]][/SIZE]

[quote name='Kane]Well you also have to remember that the only reason "The Empire" came to be was because of Palpatine and his dark Jedi followers, though more correctly they were Sith. Well except maybe for Vader since he was trained as a Jedi, and Dooku, does anyone actually know [b']what the exact difference between a Sith and a Dark Jedi is?[/b][/quote]
Good question, Kane, and it's a question I'm surprised nobody has answered, lol.

Long before the Old Republic, long before KOTOR ever took place, there was a specie of creatures known as the Sith, who dabbled in various types of black magic...magic that eventually would become Dark Side powers, I think.

During the Jedi exile, a few Jedi came across Korriban, the Sith homeworld, and began learning the ways of the Sith, gaining this immense power. Those Jedi, now Dark Jedi, returned and began challenging the Old Republic, also recruiting for the Sith Army.

I guess the answer depends on what you mean by "Sith." If you're talking about say...the Sith Diplomats in KOTOR, Dooku, etc, then there's really no difference between the Sith and a Dark Jedi, except that the Dark Jedi (like Dooku) are trained in the Force, while the Sith (like the Diplomat) are not--they're just regular officers.

If you're talking about Sith as a species, then that's completely different from anything we see in the films. The original, true Sith on Korriban were their own specie. Over time, however, the two species (Sith and human) became one peoples.

I hope that answered your question, heh.

Guest ScirosDarkblade
I thought Sith was some sort of religion that dark jedi dabbled in. I'm don't remember where I heard that, but I haven't looked into it...

[QUOTE=Kane][SIZE=1]The last post about it was fifteen replies ago, one of mine actually. As I said back then I haven't seen the trailer, for some reason fans here in Europe always have to wait ages for anything compared to America. From what I've seen about [B]Revenge of the Sith[/B] from the Extras Disk in the Star Wars DVD Trilogy it looks as if the mixture just might have got better. I think that in the new trilogy they focused a little too much on the romance aspect of Anakin and Padmé as opposed to the more obvious political upheaval. I remember seeing Hayden as Vader for the first time and it sent a shiver down my back, I can't wait to see the proper film in May of next year though no doubt everyone is.

[[I]Has reached 1000 posts as of this one.[/I]][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Well I think the reason why they spent so much time on the love factor is that the reason Anakin probably goes to the Dark Side may have something to do with Padme. She may die, she may leave Anakin, who knows. I think it is such a big part of the movies because it may play a part with him going to the Dark Side. Sort of makes sense. Shmi dies and he kills all the Tuskens at that camp, and if Padme dies would probably push him over the edge. *shrug* Just my guess.

Siren is right. Sith were originally a race of alien beings and after humans and them intermingled the Dark Side users labled themselves Dark Lords of the Sith. If I remember correctly the Sith honor these Dark Lords and thats why of the Sith was added.

[quote name='Zeta']Well I think the reason why they spent so much time on the love factor is that the reason Anakin probably goes to the Dark Side may have something to do with Padme. She may die, she may leave Anakin, who knows. I think it is such a big part of the movies because it may play a part with him going to the Dark Side. Sort of makes sense. Shmi dies and he kills all the Tuskens at that camp, and if Padme dies would probably push him over the edge. *shrug* Just my guess.[/quote]

[color=green]I don?t think Amidala will die (Her name isn?t Padme?), at least until the twins are born. After that, it?s anyone?s guess.

I don?t think her actual death, if it occurs, will be a big step in his falling to the Dark Side. His relationship with Amidala opens him up to a whole score of emotions that are dangerous for Jedi. These feelings, in particular rage, jealousy, worry and protectiveness, are the ones that drive him to call upon the Dark Side. Combined with his naturally brash behavior, this is a recipe for disaster for Anakin.

If any of you have been keeping up with the comic books, Anakin?s fall is already well underway and it?s painfully obvious he?s close to crossing the line. He?s been made a Knight at long last, and now is free of Obi Wan?s restraining influence; which is something, despite his accomplishments, that he isn?t ready for.[/color]

[quote name='Zeta'] Siren is right. Sith were originally a race of alien beings and after humans and them intermingled the Dark Side users labled themselves Dark Lords of the Sith. If I remember correctly the Sith honor these Dark Lords and thats why of the Sith was added.[/quote]

[color=green]That?s correct. The Sith brotherhood was once strong, but after it?s defeat by a large portion of the Jedi, Darth Bane was the only one who survived. He decided that the Dark Side was weakened when spread too thin, so he decided that from that day onward a single master would train a single apprentice. This practice preserved the Sith line for millennia, until the rise of Darth Sidious. Sidious broke the code and took multiple apprentices as part of his plan to restore the Sith Empire. These new followers became Dark Jedi, and Lord Vader was the first of their kind.[/color]

Star Wars slang. Who uses it, and what words do you use? This is wholly unrelated to Amidala's birthing the twins, but this just popped in my head and I'm seriously wondering.

I find myself adopting variations of actual specie names from Star Wars, and using them as curses. For example, when I used to play SWG, and hunt on Dathomir, I would routinely get my little Mon Cal fin handed to me by baznitches, both the regular and mutant variety. As I kept getting Deathblowed, incurring massive woundage and getting sent back to the Science Outpost, I would exclaim, "You f-ck-ng baznitches!"

Eventually, "baznitches" replaced my use of the word, "b-tches." Later, "baznitches" and "b-tches" merged, forming my new curse word, "biznitches," which incidentally had its debut in my recent MyO update, lol.

I've been known to toss around the phrase, "Rebel Scum," a bit, too. For me, actually, "Rebellion" is synonymous with "whiny little biznitch."

Anybody else suffering from this? lol

[quote name='Siren']Anybody else suffering from this? lol[/quote]

[color=green]For me it's more online abbreviations, especially from SWG. I find myself thinking in such terms, but I don't recall having actually used any in conversation... yet.

... as for getting wasted on Dathomir, that's pretty funny. It's rather easy to get buffed, drink brandy, get armored up and go kill pretty much anything within reason.

And if you are on a planet such as Dathomir where you will occasionally be in mortal peril, clone. Saves on the wounds. :P[/color]

[QUOTE=Siren]Good question, Kane, and it's a question I'm surprised nobody has answered, lol.

Long before the Old Republic, long before KOTOR ever took place, there was a specie of creatures known as the Sith, who dabbled in various types of black magic...magic that eventually would become Dark Side powers, I think.

During the Jedi exile, a few Jedi came across Korriban, the Sith homeworld, and began learning the ways of the Sith, gaining this immense power. Those Jedi, now Dark Jedi, returned and began challenging the Old Republic, also recruiting for the Sith Army.

I guess the answer depends on what you mean by "Sith." If you're talking about say...the Sith Diplomats in KOTOR, Dooku, etc, then there's really no difference between the Sith and a Dark Jedi, except that the Dark Jedi (like Dooku) are trained in the Force, while the Sith (like the Diplomat) are not--they're just regular officers.

If you're talking about Sith as a species, then that's completely different from anything we see in the films. The original, true Sith on Korriban were their own specie. Over time, however, the two species (Sith and human) became one peoples.

I hope that answered your question, heh.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Indeed it did, although I was already aware of the race known as the Sith as well as their conquering by Exar Kun if I remember correctly however my question was answered none the less. The question itself was actually based more so towards the EU area of later Star Wars, it's there where we see the term Dark Jedi steadily replace the term Sith. I suppose another way to look at it would be that a Sith Lord would have to have been trained in the dark arts of the Sith to call theselves one.

Thus the distinction between those who fall from the ranks of the Jedi and calling themselves Dark Jedi have actually very little in common with the Sith since there is no common training. You've also made me even more impatient to play Knights of the Old Republic now Alex, bah I really have to change this relic of a PC.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Upon digging through my mum and dad's old records, I came across something mildly sexy. The original Star Wars soundtrack on a record! God my oh! So I took out the record player we have and tried it. I need help adjusting the thing because I'm not very fluent in... well... in crap.

But wowness :^D That record is the shiz! If I could burn it onto a CD, I would (and it's possible to burn it onto a tape, but I don't use cassettes). Is this a treasure or what? Or do you all have one and want to make me cry? :(