Dragon Warrior

Do you like Star Wars??  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Star Wars??

• Yes
    • No
    • Somewhat
    • What is Star Wars?

I was rewatching A New Hope today, and I have a question in general about something C-3PO says rather early on. On the rebel ship when it's under attack, he says something like "the princess won't be able to escape this time" but when R2 plays the message for Luke and Luke asks who the woman is, 3PO just says "someone of high importance I guess." Was he just playing stupid, or did he know that there was a princess but didn't know who she was? O.o

On a side note, I'm part of the way through The Empire Strikes Back, and it's awesome of course.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Syk3']I was rewatching A New Hope today, and I have a question in general about something C-3PO says rather early on. On the rebel ship when it's under attack, he says something like "the princess won't be able to escape this time" but when R2 plays the message for Luke and Luke asks who the woman is, 3PO just says "someone of high importance I guess." Was he just playing stupid, or did he know that there was a princess but didn't know who she was? O.o[/quote]
I think so, lol. There's nothing in the OT to suggest that he actually knows who she is, just that there is a Princess on board, but it seems like he doesn't know what she looks like. Interesting.

I honestly am dissapointed. :-( My DVDs keep freezing!!!! *cries*

In A New Hope and Empire Strikes back they froze for a few seconds but quickly caught up. I was able to rewind and watch the part again. But not so with Return of the Jedi. :-( It freezes, skips like five minutes ahead and when I rewind, it freezes during the rewind. I'll have to return them. :-(

But from what I was able to see, wow. I love them. I was waiting so long for these. I just wish they could have come out sooner so I wouldn't have had to wait as long. I too have a question.

In Empire, when Vader is talking to the Emperor. Have you always been able to see his face like that? And has he always said all that he says? I seem to remember that his face was kind of hidden behind the shadow of his hood in the other ones.

[quote name='Zeta']In Empire, when Vader is talking to the Emperor. Have you always been able to see his face like that? And has he always said all that he says? I seem to remember that his face was kind of hidden behind the shadow of his hood in the other ones.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]As far as I know Zeta that was one the changes in the DVD Editions, they decided to redo the old version of the Holo-transmitions with new ones using Ian McDiarmid, who played both New Trilogy Palpatine and Palpatine in ROTJ. Seems logical enough to me.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Zeta']In Empire, when Vader is talking to the Emperor. Have you always been able to see his face like that? And has he always said all that he says? I seem to remember that his face was kind of hidden behind the shadow of his hood in the other ones.[/quote]

[quote name='Kane][SIZE=1']As far as I know Zeta that was one the changes in the DVD Editions, they decided to redo the old version of the Holo-transmitions with new ones using Ian McDiarmid, who played both New Trilogy Palpatine and Palpatine in ROTJ. Seems logical enough to me.[/SIZE][/quote]

[color=green]Yeah, for the original release of ESB the Emperor was played by an old woman with prosthetics and looked rather silly. In fact, every time I watch it now I?m paying more attention to Palpatine than to the dialogue.

Just one of those random bits of trivia.[/color]

[QUOTE=Boba Fett][color=green]Yeah, for the original release of ESB the Emperor was played by an old woman with prosthetics and looked rather silly. In fact, every time I watch it now I?m paying more attention to Palpatine than to the dialogue.

Just one of those random bits of trivia.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Yeah I remember rewatching The Empire Strikes Back a while ago and just thinking how stupid Episode V Palpatine looked, then we see McDiarmid as Palpatine in Return of the Jedi and he fits the part to a tee. I think at times it can be unfortunate to have seen the Original Original Trilogy as it often leaves you nit-picking the stuff you don't like about the Special Editions.[/SIZE]

I know this has nothing to do with the DVD's and such, but it does have to do with Star Wars nontheless.

Well, I recently just finished reading [i]Shatterpoint[/i] by Matthew Stover, and have decided to find anyone elses opinions on the book?

[spoiler] As a book itself, I found it to be great. The action was just amazing. Though, I still find Stover's action scenes in [i]Traitor[/i] better, they were awesome. The final battle at the end was just amazing. I absolutely did not think that Mace and the Korunnai would win the battle. Then when Kar(one of the main characters, VERY cool by the way) convinces the Clone Troopers that Mace was killed, and starts to fight the Balwalai(the offworlders not native to the planet Haruun Kal) I was like "crap! Shouldn't have ever trusted him." The battle between him and Kar was just amazing. Oh man. I am not even going to explain what it was like, you should read it yourself if you haven't all ready.One thing I didn't like though, was the way Mace was portrayed. I just never really pictured him like that from watching the movies. To me...he just seemed [i]mean[/i] Heh. He would like just go all out at times, like when he arrives on planet. He threatens, he fights a lot..things I never thought he would ever do, what with being on the Jedi Council and stuff. To me, it didn't seem like he even tried to "de-escalate" the situation. Another thing I didn't like was his former padawan Depa. I just did [i]not[/i] like her, period. There was something about her from when you first meet her that I didn't like. And then whens he fights Mace....and then breaks down into tears beggin for forgivenesss....bah. Didn't like it at all. But overall, it was a very good read. But I have read better.[/spoiler]

And now, I have started to read Timothy Zahn's [i]Survivo'rs Quest[/i]. Just the fact that it is about the Outbound Flight project being found is enough for me to read it. I think it only right that he should write about it, seeing as how it was he who created the thing in the first place. I am like four chapters into the book, and I am hooked. Zahn is my favorite author. I loved all his other books, and will no doubt love this one as well. I'll get back to everyone on how I think it is. Has anyone read this one?

A few more screengrabs. Say hello to Zoetrope Studios.

[font=Tahoma][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD117RESIZED.jpg[/img][/font]

[font=Tahoma][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD115RESIZED.jpg[/img][/font]

Below, you'll notice a peculiar similarity to the text crawls for Star Wars. The images below are grabbed from clips from a Flash Gordon episode, a series that Lucas was particularly fond of, and that influenced much of Star Wars.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD_108.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD_109.jpg[/img]

For a few side-by-side comparisons, examine the following:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD_090.jpg[/img] vs [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD_091.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD_094.jpg[/img] vs [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD_096.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD_092.jpg[/img] vs [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/madsatirist/PDVD_093.jpg[/img]

Clearly, there is no contest at all as to which version looks better and cleaner. Just judging from these pics alone, the OT looks utterly unfinished. And...I'd always wondered why Han runs from just a few Stormtroopers. In the revised scene, however, I'd get my -ss out of there if I ran into a [i]hangar full[/i] instead of a few standing in a hallway.

[color=green]I happen to like the landspeeder "Force Field"/Vaseline smudge and that first Yavin in the X-Wing takeoff scene looks more like someone?s finger on the lens than a gas giant.[/color]

[quote name='Zeta]Well, I recently just finished reading [i]Shatterpoint[/i'] by Matthew Stover, and have decided to find anyone elses opinions on the book?[/quote]

[spoiler]I thought that ?ShatterPoint? was a good read and a pretty typical prequel style novel. It?s plot was decent, and I liked the way that Mace Windu was forced to deal with personal issues rather than tackle the situation head on and win, as is done with so many prequel novels. It?s nice to see that Stover recognize the era in which his novel is placed and show the fallibility of the Jedi. Without this point, which needs to be emphasized over and over in the prelude to Episode III, the deaths of almost the entire Jedi Order will seem ludicrous.

Depa?s fall to the Dark Side was troubling to me. She is shown in the other novels as such a powerful and wise Jedi Master that it seems very difficult to believe that she?d fall so easily. Since the combination of the planet?s hate ridden atmosphere and her flirting with danger by using Style 7 lead her to stray, according to the book, it?s almost a foregone conclusion she was definitely not ready to be a Jedi Master. After all, the Jedi have no social promotion, and her handicap (Vapaad) shouldn?t have been overlooked because of her success.

This does tie in well with the theme that the Jedi aren?t the invincible, incorruptible warriors of light and truth that they?ve been portrayed as. The whole concept of shatterpoints in interesting as well, and I wouldn?t be surprised if that talent shows up again in the EU.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Zeta]And now, I have started to read Timothy Zahn's [i]Survivors Quest[/i']. Just the fact that it is about the Outbound Flight project being found is enough for me to read it. I think it only right that he should write about it, seeing as how it was he who created the thing in the first place. I am like four chapters into the book, and I am hooked. Zahn is my favorite author. I loved all his other books, and will no doubt love this one as well. I'll get back to everyone on how I think it is. Has anyone read this one?[/quote]

[color=green]This book was truly the best Star Wars book I?ve read in a very long time, blowing the entire NJO out of the water. The events in this book, especially the [spoiler]killer twist at the end[/spoiler] remind me of the Thrawn Trilogy. Great Book.[/color]

Yeah so far, it is the best book I have read as well. The [spoiler] Vagaari(I think that's it)[/spoiler] interest me greatly. I can't wait to find out more about them. I also can't wait to find out more about the Outbound Flight. I've been interested in that since the Thrawn Trilogy.

[quote name='Zeta]Yeah so far, it is the best book I have read as well. The [spoiler] Vagaari(I think that's it)[/spoiler'] interest me greatly. I can't wait to find out more about them. I also can't wait to find out more about the Outbound Flight. I've been interested in that since the Thrawn Trilogy.[/quote]

[color=green]You'll find out a great, great deal about them... ;)

Outbound Flight always has been, ever since it was mentioned in the Thrawn Trilogy, a fan favorite for speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if there's already been a passing mention of it in the movies or there will be in Episode III.

I'll have to check on that...[/color]

I ogt my copy of the DVD trilogy today, and it looks marvelous.

The silver box looks great, and I feel it fits the trilogy well. The movies themselves look great, with the exception of one or two scenes (eg, the Jabba scene in Episode IV)

I started watching the bonus featurettes the other day, so far I've seen Birth of the Lightsaber and the Movie trailers. It was quite itnerestign to see the movie trailers and take a look at how the Star Wars movies were marketed when they were first released. Some of those trailers look and feel downright cheesy. :p

Birth of the Lightsaber was an eye opener, It was quite intriguing to see what inspired Lucas to ocme up with it, how hte original Saber sounds were made etc..

I've yet to see all of the bonus features, I'm savoring this disc so I don't run out of unseen stuff too soon :p But from what I've seen of the DVD set so far, it's all good. :cool:

Well Boba, I just finished SQ. I am glad that Zahn has returned. :-)

[spoiler]I really loved the mystery aspect of the book. When Jinzler is caught snooping around after the lights went out aboard the Chiss ship. And then when you see Fel talking to one of his Stormtroopers, asking him questions about what just went on. I thought it was the Stormtroopers and Fel up until the time that the Geroons umasked themselves. I really like the Redoubt. As the Chiss' last safe haven and stuff. I just really love final havens, and places to put up a final fight and so on.[/spoiler]

There are only a few things that I did not like about the book.

[spoiler] I wish he would have told us exactly why the people of Outbound Flight hate the Jedi. I really want to know. When Feesa first told Luke and Mara that the visitors taught them to speak Basis, I was assuming that the Jedi were these Visitors. But when she said the Visitors came before Outbound Flight, that shot that theory down. It never says why the people hate them so much, unless of course I missed it. Another is who the Visitors are! I know it is a mystery that is meant to be there, I just really want to know. Just like Thrawns threat that the galaxy wasn't prepared for on the edges of the galaxy. I wish they would have showed us the battle between the Chiss and Vagaari. I really wanted to see a nice space battle.[/spoiler]

But other than those small details, I love the book. Now I wait for me new one to come. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]I actually only got a chance to read a short kind of sneak-peek of Shatterpoint at the end of one of the New Jedi Order books, interesting and if I get the chance I'll probably have a read of it.

Has anyone noticed that in the DVD version of [b]A New Hope[/b] Vader's "[I]eyes[/I]" (or whatever you'd call them) are tinted [U]red[/U] instead of the normal black, I wonder if it was a mistake or something intentional since they're black in both the new ESB and ROTJ. Maybe I'm just a Star Wars purist but has anyone else been very distracted when they watch the movies, little differences making it hard to stay focused without think "[I]There's another change[/I]" ?[/SIZE]

I myself haven't seen it tinted red, though I may not be looking hard enough. If it is tinted red, it isn't too noticable, seeing as how I still don't see it. Though it could be my T.V. or something that isn't allowing me to see it clearly.

Anyways. Since I bought the DVDs I have been watching the Episode III behind the scenes dealy much more than I have watched the movie. I love it. [spoiler] Just seeing Hayden in the Vader suit walking up those stairs and then looking at the Emperoro, gives me the chills.[/spoiler]

I finished [i]The Cestus Deception[/i] the other day. Good book, great action. I was hoping for a large scale space battle-I seem to want that in all the Star Wars books :rolleyes: , lol. The droids were a little hard for me to picture in my mind, but that's ok. The fighting with the clones and Jedi were enough to get me pulled in.

Kane: Have you picked up the final NJO book yet?

[QUOTE=Zeta]I myself haven't seen it tinted red, though I may not be looking hard enough. If it is tinted red, it isn't too noticable, seeing as how I still don't see it. Though it could be my T.V. or something that isn't allowing me to see it clearly.

Anyways. Since I bought the DVDs I have been watching the Episode III behind the scenes dealy much more than I have watched the movie. I love it. [spoiler] Just seeing Hayden in the Vader suit walking up those stairs and then looking at the Emperoro, gives me the chills.[/spoiler]

Kane: Have you picked up the final NJO book yet?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Well I've watched it a few times and I'm quite sure they're tinted red, it's weird because if it was an error on the disk it doesn't effect any other part of the picture. I guess we'll have to get a few more responses before we can be sure.

As for the first scene [spoiler]with Hayden as Vader that was just so awesome to watch, I literally felt goosebumps form as he walked up onto the stage. It may have taken what 28 years but it will definitely be worth seeing Vader again.[/spoiler]

Yeah I picked it up about 2 months ago and finished it within a week, I thought it was alright, not great but it was better than average. I liked the appearance by many of the characters from the Star Wars universe although the book felt like it was wrapping up everything in the series as a whole rather than just the NJO. [/SIZE]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Honestly I think I like Return of the Jedi..I think it was called? isnt that the third one of the original? whatever anyway the one with that Rancor monster and when Leya was in a metal bikini was a good one. Also, I liked Clone Wars. I thought clone wars was actually good, and did something that lacked in star wars, a deep love story. even if it was a little cheesy it was still something. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I don't think we've had this in a long while, at least not in the las few months. In my own opinions [B]A New Hope[/B] will always be the best, not sequel or prequel can ever compete with the first time we see and hear Vader. I personally enjoyed the storyline to it far more than any of the other, Han as the kind of rogue almost pirate was very enjoyable as well as A New Hope being the only one with a living Obi-Wan. Luke as the unassuming farm-boy caught up in galactic upheaval, still innocent of the way of the universe was a breath of fresh air. The battle over the Death Star was one of the best cinematic moments of all five films so far.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Kane][SIZE=1]In my own opinions [B]A New Hope[/B'] will always be the best, not sequel or prequel can ever compete with the first time we see and hear Vader.[/SIZE][/quote]

[color=green]Sure, that was kind of neat, but I personally prefer [u]The Empire Strikes Back[/u]. For the first time we get the sense of the rebels being just that, rebels. Not hapless fools bumbling around the Death Star and emerging alive? somehow.

The fight becomes real, the might of the Empire is revealed. It's the most dramatic, well shot and plot driven of the OT. Besides, seeing Yoda for the first time was more interesting to me than seeing Vader. Yoda was witty and funny, while serious and wise. Vader, the first time we see him, is a silent bodyguard to Tarkin wearing a plasteel getup. Pfft.[/color]

[quote name='Kane][SIZE=1']I personally enjoyed the storyline to it far more than any of the other.[/SIZE][/quote]

[color=green]I found it unrealistic and rather silly. They should have been shot to pieces in the Death Star.[/color]

[quote name='Kane][SIZE=1'] Han as the kind of rogue almost pirate was very enjoyable as well as A New Hope being the only one with a living Obi-Wan.[/SIZE][/quote]

[color=green]Obi-Wan is in the prequels as well, although he's not nearly as well portrayed.[/color]

[quote name='Kane][SIZE=1']The battle over the Death Star was one of the best cinematic moments of all five films so far.[/SIZE][/quote]

[color=green]One of the best, yes. The best is in ESB when Vader says: "Luke, [i]I[/i] am your father."

Hands down, best moment in the trilogy.[/color]

[QUOTE=Boba Fett][color=green]Sure, that was kind of neat, but I personally prefer [u]The Empire Strikes Back[/u]. For the first time we get the sense of the rebels being just that, rebels. Not hapless fools bumbling around the Death Star and emerging alive? somehow.

The fight becomes real, the might of the Empire is revealed. It's the most dramatic, well shot and plot driven of the OT. Besides, seeing Yoda for the first time was more interesting to me than seeing Vader. Yoda was witty and funny, while serious and wise. Vader, the first time we see him, is a silent bodyguard to Tarkin wearing a plasteel getup. Pfft.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I'll admit that The Empire Strikes Back had some truly excellent parts to it just didn't seem as good to me, perhaps in a few months or even weeks I'll come back and change my mind but I just didn't think it was as good. One major gripe with the new edition is Fett's voice, I know they got the guy who did Jango to redo the lines but he just seems so stupid now instead of the cool voice he used to have.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Boba Fett][color=green']I found it unrealistic and rather silly. They should have been shot to pieces in the Death Star.[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Yes that was rather silly but then again the same things should have happened to the Rebel Fleet in Return of the Jedi at the Battle of Endor, even destroying the Death Star and that Super Star Destroyer there was still a big fleet there.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Boba Fett][color=green']Obi-Wan is in the prequels as well, although he's not nearly as well portrayed.[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I think McGregor does a fair job with Kenobi but in ESB and ROTJ Obi-Wan is more of a two line character and then he's gone, he has no depth until his converasation with Luke in ROTJ. The Hayden inclusion in the end doesm't look right either.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Boba Fett][color=green]One of the best, yes. The best is in ESB when Vader says: "Luke, [i]I[/i] am your father."

Hands down, best moment in the trilogy.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Yes I totally agree that's why I said [B]one[/B] of the best, "[I][B]I[/B] am your Father[/I]" will always be the best bit in all six films, and is one of the best lines in Sci Fi to date. [/SIZE]

[b]Yes that was rather silly but then again the same things should have happened to the Rebel Fleet in Return of the Jedi at the Battle of Endor, even destroying the Death Star and that Super Star Destroyer there was still a big fleet there.[/b]

Sorry, isn't letting me quote. o_0

Anyways....not entirely true. I am assuming you read the books and the EU right now, correct me if I am wrong (more than just The NJO I mean.) I don't recall where it is first mentioned, but it is mentioned a few times. The only reason why the Empire was so good at the time was because of the Emperor. He held the fleet together and what not, sort of like the Jedi battle meld if you will. Now with him killed, there is really nothing holding the fleet together, so they break and run eventually. Just because there was a large fleet, doesn't mean the Rebellion would get defeated.

Boba's voice was different? o_0 lol. I guess I don't pay attention to such small things, doesn't bother meh though, just happy they are on DVD.

The whole Emperor controlling the Fleet is mentioned mostly by Zahn in the Thrawn trilogy. And, as for the bigger fleet, well...we know that tacitacally, the Rebels (under Ackbar, haha) were far more strategically adept than the Empire. Couple that, with the loss of your superweapon, and the loss of your Lords battleship (the Executor) and its no wonder that most of the Empire turned tail and ran...or just surrendered their ships.

Empire is my favorite of the Star Wars movies, basically because of the reasons that Boba mentioned. I also love the fight between Luke and Darth Vader, because it's so well-paced and suspenseful. The all-out action of RotJ's and the prequels' lightsaber fights are pretty cool, but nothing will beat the duel in Cloud City, for me.

Anyway, I'll assume that some of you guys have seen the Episode III trailer by now. What did you guys think of it? Personally, I liked it, and it did what any movie trailer sets out to do: it intrigues you and gets you interested in the movie. I'm hoping beyond all hope that Episode III is where Lucas gets all of the pieces of the puzzle right, and comes out with a great film. Hell, I'll even accept a solid film, after the last two lol.