Do you like Star Wars??  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Star Wars??

• Yes
    • No
    • Somewhat
    • What is Star Wars?

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior]Time for another sexy resurrection of this thread. :P

Episode Three is nearing and my anticipation grows more with every passing day. I'm not too big of an obsessive fan like some of the good folks who have posted in this thread, but there's no doubt that I'm going to see this right away (I'll have to beat nerds on my way into the theatre just to get a spot in the walkways of the screening).

And has anyone heard anything about George making episodes 7-9? That'd be kickin'.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][B]May 19th[/B], I've already got three tickets reserved in my local cinema and yes I admit that this will probably be the single greatest event of 2005, greater even that my 18th birthday 5 days ago.

As far as I know in regard to Episodes 7-9, there's nothing really known, he says he wrapped up Episodes 1-6 were about the Skywalkers so after that I don't what he'd do.

However Lucas was saying something about doing the [B]Expanded Universe[/B] like he did the [B]Young Indiana Jones[/B] series. Being that many of the Young Indiana Jones TV Movies are only a bit shorter than their cinema counterparts. The advantage of this is that they could do novels in several instalments, but it's a long series and they may only do certain ones.[/SIZE]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Mark Hamel is getting a little old by now and I'm not sure if he'll look the look for episodes 7-9, ye know? But I definitely think it'd be cool to see it. If they can make Harrison Ford look younger for the new Indiana Jones, then they might be able to do some magic with Mark :P

Hey, I'll be turning 18 May 31st, so this'll be a fun birthday thing for me too! Go us XD

I myself would not want anything done after Episode III is finished. All the EU has the OT characters in it as well as new ones. But who would they get to play the OT characters? Everyone is getting old. :( It wouldn't be the same if they had someone else playing them.

Episode III is going to be a doozy for me. I am excited. I have watched that special behind the scenes thing on the OT DVDs God knows how many times. And each time I watch I get the shivers. Going to fight with my life to get to a midnight showing. I will drive half way across the state if I have to, heh. I am seeing this at a midnight showing, or at least opening day. Can't wait. :D

[quote name='Dragon Warrior']If they can make Harrison Ford look younger for the new Indiana Jones[/quote]
Say whua?!? Digital face tucks, eh? lol

I certainly would be interested in seeing what they could do with a Young Indiana Jones-esque approach to the EU material. I certainly would love seeing some of the Bounty Hunter works adapted, notably Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

With any luck, I'm checking out Episode III May 28th. Annie is comin on down here, and Drix may very well join us for the weekend. ^_^

Sounds like a real shindig. I'd go, but ye know... I can't :P Muhahahahaha.

And yes, they must use a load of make-up to make Harrison look good for the new movie. He's teh oldness, word :^D And I'd like to see Tales of the Bounty Hunters as well, just because the bounty hunters are my favorite part of Star Wars, preferably Boba Fett--the main man!

[quote name='Dragon Warrior']Sounds like a real shindig. I'd go, but ye know... I can't :P Muhahahahaha.[/quote]
We wouldn't want you there anyway. ~_^

[quote]And yes, they must use a load of make-up to make Harrison look good for the new movie. He's teh oldness, word :^D And I'd like to see Tales of the Bounty Hunters as well, just because the bounty hunters are my favorite part of Star Wars, preferably Boba Fett--the main man![/QUOTE]
Well, not only that, but they're just really groovy stories in general and show sides to the bounty hunters that we don't get to see. I found the story about 4-LOM and Zuckuss to be particularly interesting. I liked the Intuition portions especially. ^_^

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Arial]I would have to agree that out of all the "Tales" (which are probably some of the more interesting EU works out there) TOBTH would probably draw the best crowd. Though I think it would be far more feasible and interesting if it was animated and not RL. The stories of Boba and Dengar would be pretty cool [spoiler]especially watching the stand-off between Han and Boba, or the swoop race between Dengar and Han in the- Crystal Canyon would be pretty sweet to watch as well.[/spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]Hmm well I was hoping that this might have gone on slightly longer, considering Episode III draws ever closer. I finally saw the trailer to the film about forty minutes ago and was completely blown away, I've been honestly giddy with excitement since I saw it. The clip was only about twenty second long but it really does instil a sense that this will the the film we've been waiting to see for the last six years.

Since we were taling about what EU novels would be good in "[I]Young Indiana Jones[/I]" style I'd be eager to see the Jedi Academy Series, I've always had a liking for Kyp Duron. I'd also perhaps like to see maybe film versons of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight videogame series, as many of you know I'm a big Kyle Katarn fan, and many of them hve quite good plotlines.

A small thought cropped into my mind as I was about to finish this, since Lucas is very big on adding and subtracting scenes to his films after they've been released, what changes would you make to the New Trilogy ? If we could keep it to small things, even though I'd love if they removed Jar-Jar it would have a dynamic change on the films.

My only changes would be:

In Episode I change the Yoda Puppet to the CGI Yoda used in Episodes II and III, I think the CGI version looks far, far better and more animated than the puppet.

Bring back Jeremy Bulloch as Boba/Jango Fett, his voice was by far superior to, but then they'd probably have to cast in two new actors to replace Temuera Morrison and the boy who played Young Boba. I just found Morrison's voice to be a poor replacement for Bulloch's and it be a small but significant improvement.

And other suggestions ?[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
With the Day coming ever nearer, I felt the need to bring back this topic. What does everyone think of the trailer? Not the teaser, but [i]the[/i] trailer. I myself find it great. I watch it at least once a day. For anyone who hasn't seen it, visit the official site now.

I am curious as to what OBers think of Palpatine's age? How old do ya'll think he is? I'll post what I think in a bit, bit busy right now. ^_^;;

[QUOTE=Zeta]With the Day coming ever nearer, I felt the need to bring back this topic. What does everyone think of the trailer? Not the teaser, but [i]the[/i] trailer. I myself find it great. I watch it at least once a day. For anyone who hasn't seen it, visit the official site now.

I am curious as to what OBers think of Palpatine's age? How old do ya'll think he is? I'll post what I think in a bit, bit busy right now. ^_^;;[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]YES, FIRST POST OF PAGE 100 !!

Newbish glee aside, I've watched both trailers on StarWars.com a few times, and they really do make me salivate for the day I can actually go in and see the final installation of the film series I've been waiting over 13 years to see finished. [spoiler]My favourite scene of the Proper Trailer would have to be Palpatine's "Are you threatening me Master Jedi" line and the ensuing action. However the teaser trailers best bit is definitely our first glimpse and sound of Lord Vader's triumphant return.[/spoiler]

I don't think we can actually determine Palpatine's exact age, as he uses Sith magic to transfer his "soul" from one clone body to another. The corruption of his Dark Side power causes his bodies to age prematurely and as such getting and exact age would be a rather difficult thing to do. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']I don't think we can actually determine Palpatine's exact age, as he uses Sith magic to transfer his "soul" from one clone body to another. The corruption of his Dark Side power causes his bodies to age prematurely and as such getting and exact age would be a rather difficult thing to do. [/SIZE][/quote]

Expanded Universe fiend.
The cannon is the only truth.
Not to say I don't love the novels as well; its just the only thing that can be taken seriously are the movies.

Ep3 is going to rule. The final Star Wars movie ever and maybe the best. Hopefully, Greivous's fights scenes aren't as stupid as in the last episode of season Clone Wars.

I watched the Star Wars OT DvDs this weekend, and I noticed a few things. Tell me if I am right in my speculations.

1. In episode IV, Jabba's animation was redone.
2. Boba Fett had a different voice.
3. A scene of a celebrating Naboo was added to the end of VI.
4. In Empire, some dialogue was added to the Emperor's conversation with Vader.

:animestun

Wow, very good. But, you missed a few things.
IN TESB the Emporers holo animation is different.
The Anakin force spirit at the end of ROTJ is now Hayden Christinsen instead of the old guy.
There are some new clean ups to animations and other things not worth mentioning.

Wow, you guys have too much time on your hands XD I kid, I kid :3

But seriously, I have yet to watch that "Bonus Material" DvD that comes with the four-disk Star Wars Trilogy Set DvD Thingy. I got it for Christmas and haven't viewed its contents. Perhaps I will this week... it is, after all, Spring Break!

[img]http://img131.exs.cx/img131/8930/dwwashere9rz.gif[/img]

My spring break was the first week of March. We only have four weeks left after this week.

Anyway, the bonus material is quite interesting. It goes into detail on some aspects of the first three movies and has a lot of never before seen content. There is a teaser for Ep.3 as well that shows how the Darth Vader costume was made.

I liked the Episode Three trailer I saw in the theatre that is pretty much nothing, but evil. I don't recall seeing a happy moment in that whole trailer and then it ends with showing Vader. Hoo, hoo, sweeeet. This episode is going to rock because it's going to tie everything together. I can't wait to see how they do things. I hope I won't be disappointed.

[img]http://img131.exs.cx/img131/8930/dwwashere9rz.gif[/img]

I started watching the bonus disc and so far it has been very interesting and funny.

My dad bought issue one of the comic book of Episode III, and it seems interesting. I won't say what happens though..unless you want me to. ;)

60 minutes had a Star Wars feature a few weeks ago. George Lucas said that this movie will most likely be rated PG-13, breaking the tradition of Star Wars movies all being rated PG. He said he wasn't going to fight it.

ROTS will be much darker than the previous films so it will earn its PG-13 rating.
Hopefully, everything is explained in full detail without the boring love scenes between Anakin and Padme.
I'm looking forward to the duel between Yoda and Palpy in the senate chamber. It's gonna be sweet watching the two masters fling the pods at each other.

[QUOTE=Foshi Foci]Expanded Universe fiend.
The cannon is the only truth.
Not to say I don't love the novels as well; its just the only thing that can be taken seriously are the movies.

Ep3 is going to rule. The final Star Wars movie ever and maybe the best. Hopefully, Grievous's fights scenes aren't as stupid as in the last episode of season Clone Wars.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I'm afraid you are mistake Foshi, the Expanded Universe is the official continuation to the Star Wars Saga, and as such everything that happens in it is in fact canon and should be taken as seriously as the movies. The movies are brilliant [at least the original ones are] but the EU adds huge new dimensions to Star Wars in terms of characters and events, and allows us to see the original story from different points of view, rather than what we see in Lucas' movies. Also anyone who wishes to ask WTF I mean in that points of view, look back a few pages in this thread and you'll see a very long discussion on it. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Wormmon's Tamer]I watched the Star Wars OT DvDs this weekend, and I noticed a few things. Tell me if I am right in my speculations.

1. In episode IV, Jabba's animation was redone.
2. Boba Fett had a different voice.
3. A scene of a celebrating Naboo was added to the end of VI.
4. In Empire, some dialogue was added to the Emperor's conversation with Vader.

:animestun[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Foshi Foci]Wow, very good. But, you missed a few things.
IN TESB the Emporers holo animation is different.
The Anakin force spirit at the end of ROTJ is now Hayden Christinsen instead of the old guy.
There are some new clean ups to animations and other things not worth mentioning.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Alright, I'm going to take them all as if they were one post, to put things plainly, since the release of the Special Edition videos back in the 90s and the new DVDs last year, Lucas had made what he calls small improvements to the SW films, though whether they are in fact improvements you can decide for yourself.

1] Jabba actually never featured in the original Star Wars before the Special Edition was brought out, I personally didn't like his addition because seeing Jabba for the first time in the original Return of the Jedi gave him a mystique that was completely ruined by just having him appear in the hanger with Solo.

2] Fett is now voiced by Temuera Morrison instead of Jeremy Bulloch, this is simply because Boba is a clone of Jango and would obviously speak exactly the same [barring any accidents]. I much preferred Bulloch as something about Morrison's voice made him seem inferior to the cold, heartless Boba of the OT.

3] Again just a change by Lucas to bring the OT closer to his New Trilogy, although I was hoping Naboo would have been destroyed in the Clone Wars as to erase the Gungans and Padmé and Anakin's atrocious love story.

4] This one I?ll combine with Foshi?s as they?re based on the same thing, in the Original Old Trilogy, Ian McDiarmid was not introduced as the Emperor until ROTJ, before then it was a different actor with a completely different voice. When the DVDs were rolled on they redid that scene with McDiarmid in it this time and changed the lines[ which made them seem much less effective].

5] That Old Guy was David Prose who happened to play Vader throughout the entire Old Trilogy, who was the body while James Earl Jones did the voice. Prose was removed from the ending scenes of the new ROTJ because of something that will happen in Episode III, what that?ll be I don?t know but it had better be good.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']I'm afraid you are mistaken Foshi, the Expanded Universe is the official continuation to the Star Wars Saga, and as such everything that happens in it is in fact canon and should be taken as seriously as the movies..[/SIZE][/quote]
Alright, heres some proof that the Expanded Universe is canon for all those that want to know. Sorry about that earlier statment I wasn't thinking clearly. Some things went through my mind.

The STAR WARS films are the only primary reference. With the exception of only a few minor points, they are indisputable. This is not a merely personal opinion; it is the explicit policy of the Continuity and Production Editors at Lucasfilm. They are interviewed in STAR WARS Insider #23:

What's 'gospel' and what isn't?
'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelisations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers. However, between us, we've read everything, and much of it is taken into account in the overall continuity. The entire catalog of published works comprises a vast history -- with many off-shoots, variations and tangents -- like any other well-developed mythology.

Therefore the films and their adaptations are canon, meaning that they take precedence in essentially all matters. Any other form of unfilmed STAR WARS fiction may be official, meaning that it is subordinate to canon and is required to be consistent with other official works. Works which do not have the blessing of Lucasfilm Ltd (which is not the same entity as LucasArts) are unofficial and cannot be given consideration.

Still I wonder if this includes the video games and Clone Wars microseries? I would say that it does because they are written to expand the universe.

[QUOTE] 5] That Old Guy was David Prose who happened to play Vader throughout the entire Old Trilogy, who was the body while James Earl Jones did the voice. Prose was removed from the ending scenes of the new ROTJ because of something that will happen in Episode III, what that?ll be I don?t know but it had better be good.[/QUOTE]
I think your wrong on this point. The old bald guy at the end of ROTJ when Luke takes off his helmet is not the same guy who plays him the other times. In the OT the force spirit at the end was the same bald guy just not bald. We never get to see who the real guy in the suit is.

[quote name='Foshi Foci']Still I wonder if this includes the video games and Clone Wars microseries? I would say that it does because they are written to expand the universe.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Yes as you just said they'd all be part of the Expanded Universe and as such they would be considered canon, the only thing that might go against that is when certain parts of the EU contradicts one another, though this usually only happens between the games and novels. One such example would be the Jedi Knight series, Kyle Katarn himself is mentioned several times in the New Jedi Order series of novels, but many of his nemesis from the game are not even acknowledged. Now this doesn't really bother me but it just seems an example of one of the flaws of the Expanded Universe.[/SIZE]

Everything is canon unless it specifically says it isn't, such as the Infiniti comic books. I'm sure there are others, but those are all that I am aware of that are not canon.

I just finished [i]Labyrinth of Evil[/i] by James Luceno. I suggest everyone who wants to know what happens immediately before ROTS to go pick this book up right now. A book with plenty of action and suspense, wow. It covers the search for Darth Sidious. Answers questions that arose in TPM and AOTC.

Here are just a few things that go on, highlights that I really enjoyed.

[spoiler] It seems that Sifo-Dyas actually [i]did[/i] order the Clone Army. It wasnt Dooku pretending, or Sidious, or anyone else but himself. It seems that he saw the upcoming problems that would face the Republic. Not the Clone Wars themselves, but he saw something and recognized the failings of the Republic around the time after TPM. He then proceeded to order the Clones and is then killed by Dooku. I am sure, like many, many things going on in GFFA, that it was orchestrated by Sidious.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] Sidious is found! Yes that is right. Starting with the mechano-chair that Nute Gunray is riding in TPM, Obi-Wan and Anakin find a recording of Sidious. By following the makes of the chair, they eventually find out that Sidious is on Coruscant. Mace, some other Jedi, some intelligence people, and Clones begin to search The Works, the place that Dooku lands at the end of ATOC, for Sidious. The Seperatists attack Coruscant and are lead by Greivous, while Yoda meditates and feels Sidious on Coruscant. The Jedi leave the search while the Clones and the intelligence people continue their search and find Sidious. All are killed naturally. But the intelligence director is alive long enough recognized that Sidious had penetrated the highest levels of the Republic, aka Palpatine. Palpatine is captured by the Seperatists, and it ends there, which immediatly leads into the Start of ROTS with the space battle. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]You can clearly see the power of Anakin begin to grow fast, as well as his fall to the dark side progress. There is a part where Anakin and Obi-Wan are on their way to fight Dooku, but it is just a trap. And Anakin gets angry and just yells Dooku!, which causes the whole building to collapse on all three of them. Very cool.[/spoiler]

[SIZE=1]Ah so I get the first post of Page 100 and now I get the 1500th post, my loyalty in reviving this thread consistently is certainly paying off.

I'm going to avoid seeing or reading anything more about Episode III, if at all possible I'd like to go into the film having only seen the trailers and being able to gape in awe at scenes and plot twists that I didn't know were going to occur. I mean if people are getting so hyped up about the film I really don't see how it makes sense to go off and read a book that would ruin part of the film on you. But hey that's just me talking, I've been waiting to see this film for 13 years and as the time grows closer I'm just itching for the 19th to come along so we can see Vader really show his stuff.

Out of simple curiosity, do you think that if it had been Obi-Wan was killed by Maul and Qui-Gon had trained Anakin, would Anakin still have fallen in love with Padmé and gone on to the Dark Side ?[/SIZE]