OtakuBoards

What's it like being in High School??

Guest smoothlady15

Guest smoothlady15
I'm having the homework blues, so I just thought up a post of what you guys think of High School. :( I really hate having homework, but it helps me pass a test. Um... :nervous: That'll be all for now!!! Bye. ^^;

ok, so im an anarchist,and i live in Northbrook Illinois, one of the richest communities in the contry (good combo huh), and im a sophmore at Glenbrook North, (Yes, the hazing school) and there are so many standerds that people want you to meet, the education is like 10 times harder than most other schools, and you have to go to a good college, or your way below average. its crazy tryin 2 be wut other people want you 2 be, to do wut they want you 2 do.

(just i side note, i was in the deans office, and they thought a kid with a "hicky" was abused by his family, pretty funny 2 watch a sophmore try 2 exlain a hicky to an 80 year old woman :laugh: )
and remember kids, when in highschool... FIGHT THE SYSTEM, ANY WAY YOU CAN!!! :devil:

Having homework does suck, but I can deal. I don't know where you are in school, but you have to keep your friends close in high school, or you [B][u]WILL[/u][/B] go crazy. High school subjects are so boring. I learned all of this stuff in fifth grade, and it seems a waste to pound it into my head. You've got to take a good elective to break up your day.
With tests, I could care less about anything they are teaching me. If you looked at my grades you would think I cared, but I just have a good memory. None of this is going to help me ever. You need pre-algebra, but beyond that it's just wasteful.

My website and career as a comedic performer/writer don't benefit from genetics. Or Shakespeare. I think High School should be a lot more technical. If you don't like the class by Freshman year, I think it is a safe assumption that you won't have a career in that particular field.

Guest Alchemist
High school is seriously overated. I am a freshman and got no respect, no respect at all. The other stupid freshman in my class go "haha lets go smoke weed and get drunk after class cause that the high school." Give me college please

[color=darkviolet]Oh, it's like the best four years of your life...if you become extremely depressed after.

Homework is a boring necessary evil because if you don't do homework you'll have to hope your teacher really didn't want it handed in and only wanted you to give an example.

I graduated 89 out of 345 students in 1999. I have a regents diploma. I'm currently unemployed. I'm just glad that I graduated without having a nervous breakdown.

College was slightly better...atleast there you can do things to some of the people who annoy you...like cleaning around the faucets with her toothbrush. :D [/color]

I'm getting tired of high school. Its not the homework or the tests, its the friggin drama. Everyday another friend is claiming to have some new mental illness or life threatening problem. One of my friends is starting to say she has "three people living inside her." Another one of my friends says she's stopped eating for two weeks now because she got dumped. And then she claimed her step dad was molesting her but later told us it was a lie. I mean.... ARGH! I'm just so tired of the cutters, the emos, the drugs. It makes me happy to start looking up colleges.

High school's all right. It's getting tiring, but the year's almost over, and this is my last year. I'm trying to enjoy it and learn as much as I find is worth learning.

I really never have any homework. I get most of it done at school one way or another, or I end up just winging it and getting good grades. I definitely won't be able to do that once I get to college, though.

[COLOR=Navy]I could deal without all of the immaturity, drugs, sex, and drama in high school. I'm in my senior year and I can't wait to get out of there. I love the classes, don't get me wrong. I just hate the foul language, the sex, the drugs, and the smoking.

Kids smoke in the parking lot all the time, even though the parking lot is part of the campus and there is a rule of no drugs on school grounds. It just sickens me.

Another thing I hate...the immaturity. Here are people who get super depressed over getting dumped, cry because they accidently broke a nail, and complain all the time. There are also those that are loud, inconsiderate, and rude. They don't care about the people around them. They do what they want, regardless of the consequences that follow.

There are also those kind of people that are so called [I]light-switch[/I] friends. They are your friends one day, and they make you feel like absolute crap the next. I also have to deal with some other issues, like, right now, I feel like I'm being replaced and forgotten. If that's true, oh well. I don't really care all that much. I have my good friends and I'm happy to have them. I do agree that friends help you a lot when it comes to surviving in high school. Otherwise, high school would be a total depressing and lonely place.

On the positve side, there are a couple things I like. You get free text books and free classes. (college students, you know what I mean)

Another thing that's really entertaining are the fights that happen. They are often times really funny to watch. Mostly, because a lot of them are those weaklings...at my school anyways. They mostly just end up as chick aka cat fights, or a push and shove match.

What makes it even funnier is how it takes so long for the staff at my school to realize a fight is happening, and finally break it up.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Highschool is a slow, monotonous trudge through fashion trends and superficiality. Seriously, I fricking hate high school.

I'm doing my fourth (and second last) year of high school this year, and it's only gotten worse for me as I went along. I came into Year 8 with some optimism and ethusiasm, and I genuinely believed it would be the best years of my life.

But now, 3 years and countless lost friends later, it's just become a chore for me. The work more often than not bores me, the politics between different groups of social (and often drug-******) butterflies makes me cringe. Maybe it's because I (and a lot of my friends) are naturally loners, but who is in the 'in crowd' and who is being shunned for some miniscule foul play just doesn't interest me, and if it doesn't interest you...

Well, you suffer for it and go into the 'out crowd', heh.

As mentioned, the work bores me, and the added burden of homework drives me nuts. I mean, they can't possibly expect me to want to learn [i]quadratic formula[/i] outside of a compulsory Maths class, can they? It makes no sense to me, and, apparently, our Premier (like the Governor of a state), as he made moves to have homework abolished a while back.

Smart man, our Premier. lol Too bad he failed. u.u

And yeah. Obviously, I haven't had the best experience with high school one could wish for, heh. But I definitely detest the concept because of it. [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Highschool can be ******* mad if you can fit in. It's the way every highschool is, and I doubt that's gonna change any time soon. Every kid runs on every other kid, and if some kid don't like that, they don't accept that.

I like highschool at the moment. I started a new school four days ago, I'm in year eleven. It's a damn bludge, I'm havin' a ball.

[size=1]First week of Yr 11, and I'm already taking about an hour of a homework a night. But what can you do? If you don't want to get anywhere with your life, then you don't need to do it. And if you do, then shut up and get on with it. This'll be the easiest you're gonna have it.

And that's all there is to the matter.[/size]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Being a sophomore, I realized something about my school very quickly last year as a freshman. It's just too damn clicky! There's the goths, the idiots who smoke in the bathroom, the preps, the grungy, the skaters, and all others in between. Either you've got friends or everyone thinks you're a terrorist.

And if you don't have friends, then you will be ripped apart. I hate it.

As for the work, freshman year wasn't so bad. In sophomore year, you can be accepted to some advanced classes such as Honors English. (Which simply means that you take the state test with the juniors.) But it's still all too easy...

Except for Biology. When you have a hippie teacher like I do who talks about his Grateful Dead rubber stamps than the actual lesson, then you know all is lost for that freak and your grade.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Jung-Woo][COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Palatino Linotype] Except for Biology. When you have a hippie teacher like I do who talks about his Grateful Dead rubber stamps than the actual lesson, then you know all is lost for that freak and your grade.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[color=darkviolet]My biology/Chemistry (he taught both classes and I had him two years in a row) teacher sounds better than your bio teahcer.

Mr.M (he had us call him that because his last name was so ungodly long) worked for animal control during the summer for extra money. He would tell us about the time he went to remove a raccoon from someone's chiminey and ended up falling off the roof of the 3 story house and landing inches from the pavement. He woke up three days later with a catheter in his...well I forgot his word for them. But yeah very entertaining story

There was also the story about how he electrocuted himself during a chemistry class...my chemistry class. It involved one of those electric orb things and he didn't ground himslef properly one second he's explaining the electric current, next second he's on the ground.

He was a cool teacher though, he made class fun. And he was fair too. SOme kid threw a piece of perch into my bookbag during lab (and screwed up my Neptune Picture) and he wouldn't let anyone go to their locker between lab and class because he wouldn't confess to it.[/color]

[QUOTE=Japan_86][COLOR=Navy]
On the positve side, there are a couple things I like. You get free text books and free classes. (college students, you know what I mean) [/color][/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]Oh my GOSH, you aren't kidding. I spend around $300-$500 per semester on books alone. Sometimes I get lucky and have to use the same book for a two-part class (most of my sciences are like that). Yeah, buying textbooks really sucks.[/color][/size]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet']And he was fair too. SOme kid threw a piece of perch into my bookbag during lab (and screwed up my Neptune Picture) and he wouldn't let anyone go to their locker between lab and class because he wouldn't confess to it.[/color][/quote][color=#ff6600]Oddly, that sounds like many a situation I have heard described as "unfair."

I had two good years of high school, and two not-so-great years of high school. It wasn't a matter of classes (they were all pretty easy) or teachers (I had the same ones every year) or classmates (some were okay, but it was a small school, and you just get sick of seeing the same people every school day for ten years).

The best advice I can give is this:

First, [b]join drama[/b]. All the coolest people are in drama.

Second, [b]be yourself[/b]. It sounds lame, sure, but if I had to redo high school, I would take it far less seriously. I don't mean that I would be apathetic--that won't help you. But be yourself--don't worry about the opinions of others. I know that whatever personal hell I went through was, in retrospect, worth it (for me).

The things I would have done differently in high school are easy to spot and point out:
[list]
[*]I would have joined drama my freshmen (not sophomore) year.
[*]I would have been honest, not coy, when a certain person wanted to go out with me.
[*]I would have done a lot more crazy, funny stuff with my assignments. (Teachers appreciate a sense of humor, and it makes your five page essays a lot more bearable.)
[*]I would have taken a slightly less hectic course schedule my senior year and instead enrolled in some college course at the local Uni.
[/list]

Nothing world-shattering, heh.

I didn't have friends my freshman year. There was a gal I talked with during Study Hall (and PE), but other than that, nothing. It was okay. I wasn't really [i]happy[/i], but I was content.

Honestly. You don't need to "fight the system," or anything crazy like that. In college, there will still be people (far more people, actually) who will smoke, drink, have sex, and talk about nothing else. The thing is, there's a larger gorup of people in general, and you have a good chance of finding those who you are comfortable hanging out with.

I don't know, you guys. Maybe I was just ridiculously lucky with my high school experience--but I doubt it. There are those among my high school friends who hated the whole ordeal as much or more than many of the people who posted here. Maybe it's just my dorky outlook on life. But I honestly don't think it was that bad. Especially at the time, there was a lot of redeeming stuff about it.

Granted, most of those things had to do with the great group of people I hung out with. (On the other hand, a lot of the hellish moments stemmed from the same group of people.)

I guess I'm just going to say this again: things are what you make of them.[/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1].. most people seem so negative about highschool. *scratches head*

I'm Yr 13 now, obviously top of the school, plus they highlight it by letting us wear mufti whereas everyone else is in uniform. I've never been much good at keeping to one group of friends so.. in my 4 years at my current school I've been with about 3 different groups, not counting outside of school. It keeps things interesting I suppose and I get the amusement of hearing different bits of gossip from all sides. Mostly 'close-friends' criticizing each other for something stupid they did :P

Great fun, really. It honestly amuses me.

I actually agree with Lore (Sara) about the part about not being too serious in school. Do the work and find amusement where ever possible. It's just so pointless to get caught up in the drama, or to even care that it's happening.

Ahahaha, my Biology teacher amuses me a great deal, it's been the 3rd year I've had him in a row (although I can request for a class change because of that) but this year in some attempt to compensate for his shiny bald headedness he's got a fully bushy beard that has a white stripe down the middle. I wanted to crack up laughing but that would be rude.

There are the days that I can't stand it, there are the other days that I decide it's not so bad. Which it isn't. My only greatest problem is the motivation to do homework, but at my level, it's mostly on a "you don't do it, it's your loss" basis.

I guess the funnest part so far is going out to the mall during free period in search of air conditioning ^__^

Or looking after the new yr 9's. They are a strange lot.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

As mentioned before in this thread high school is the most stressful time in your life, then you graduate and realize college is the most stressful time in you life. Then you graduate again then realize the working world is the most stressful. So on and so forth until the end of time.

Basically it comes down to life being stressful. Try not to miss the important things like having fun. High school for me was stressful but it was also filled with many wonderful times with friends. Don't forget to take some time out from the studies to have fun.

[QUOTE=Lore][color=#ff6600]

Second, [b]be yourself[/b]. It sounds lame, sure, but if I had to redo high school, I would take it far less seriously. I don't mean that I would be apathetic--that won't help you. But be yourself--don't worry about the opinions of others. I know that whatever personal hell I went through was, in retrospect, worth it (for me).[/quote]

I find this very true. Up until this year, I wasn't fully acting like myself. Now I'm very outspoken and participate in class, and people have caught onto me a lot more. People say hi to me in the halls all the time, and I seem even somewhat "popular," if that is the right term.

Also, definitely people are all too serious about their high school. I don't even really try too hard, because classes are easy. I don't take it seriously to a point. But I still get A's and B's, and a few C's. People get too caught up in it and don't have the fun that's happening all around them.

[quote]I guess I'm just going to say this again: things are what you make of them.[/color][/QUOTE]

This is a nice grain of wisdom, as well.

[quote name='AnarchyMan']ok, so im an anarchist,and i live in Northbrook Illinois, one of the richest communities in the contry (good combo huh), and im a sophmore at Glenbrook North [/quote]

Ew. First. I pity you to be in illinois, because it is quite boring... I actually go to Lockport.. yeah the school with the football team that won state champs for 2 years in a row. The only thing we are really known for.
I have a great school - yes. the people on the other hand arn't the best.

highschool is a time for fun and expanding new possibilities.
first you want to be yourself, you want to experience all there is.. yes that means even the bad, you want to reach your limits in learning as well..
don't forget all those courses that are offered.

I am actually graduating early next year.. i am in my junior year at the moment and graduating half a year. I feel like through this whole time of highschool i have not accomplished anything that I actually set out to do while I was there. Highschool moves by fast for people - before you know it you are already a senior and almost leaving for college. Your freshman year is your first year.. experiencing all the different events and then sophomore year you are adjusted to everything - the schedules and the school, and by your junior year, you are finally becoming one of the upperclassmen and you know what this means... seniority. :]

highschool can either be the best time of your life.. or the worst.
it is your chance to make it whatever you want.

• 2 months later...
High school is pretty much just like what it is in the movies: people stay in their cliques and do the things they do. Its very segregated and you can clearly tell where someone associates. I thought it was just plain sick. So much politics and popularity was constantly floating in the air at all times. Well, thats what it was like for me at least. I'm so glad I'm no longer in that awful awful place.

Guest kizzah3k1
High school, like anything else in life, is what you make of it. I enjoy it because I didn't let myself be convinced that it was only full of nitwits who didn't "get" me. I can say I'm excited to try college next year though.

I'm now in grade 11. Second Semester to be exact. I am even at school right now:P 3rd period.

I don't mind school.. i like coming to school to see the friends i just dont like going IN schooll lol. It's alright though. As long as you can believe and tell yourself that you can get through the years, then you can do it. You are only really in there for 4 years unless you have problems. I have to take an extra semester after grade 12 which really sucks because i droopped my grade 11 math because it was extremely hard. im not a mathematics person hehe.

I didn't really read all the posts in this thread, but I assume young people posted it sucks and older people posted that it was important. And well, I'm 16, and I'm in the middle. I know everything I'm learning in high school is important, but personally, I can't remember anything I learned last year lol. I can't imagine actually using most of the skills I learned in high school in real life. I actually learn more from the personal interaction with people rather then the actually readign and writing. I learn from my friends as well as teachers who actually make it their job to not only teach a subject, but apply it to you and your life. Its sad because a lot of people just teach to teach and aren't really passionate about it, which makes school really not worth going to.