OtakuBoards

Soul Calibur III

Charles

Who your favorite Soul Caliber fighter?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who your favorite Soul Caliber fighter?

• Nightmare
    • Sigefried
    • Mitsirugi
    • Taki
    • Kilik
    • Maxi
    • Raphel
    • Xianugha
    • Cervantes
    • Ivy
    • Cassandra
    • Sung mina
    • Yung Sung
    • Sophita
    • Voldo
    • Lizerd man
    • Assisanin
    • Asteroph

Yeah I do have to say the second Soul Calibur was overrated. It was slightly above mediocre, but honestly it was so similiar to other fighting games ( as most fighting games are alot alike) it got boring fast Also the first Soul Calibur, aside from being alot more innovative, had more unlockables.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with these replies? My goodness.

[quote name='Kamuro]I bought SCII and wasn't really impressed. [B]It was fun, but there wasn't much depth to it. [/B'] It was fun, but I don't expect much from SCIII, or the series for that matter. Also, if the game is PS2 exclusive, it would make no sense at all. Generic stated it before. Why would the original open up and actually vary between systems and then come out with a sequel exclusive to just one.[/quote]

There wasn't much depth? Are you joking? It's true, Soul Calibur is a game newcomers can feel comfortable easing into, but they would never stand a chance against an experienced player. The array of techniques available to each character is astounding. Soul Calibur doesn't have quite as much depth as, say, Virtua Fighter 4, but it's not far off.

Also, it's hard to call this game a Playstation 2 exclusive when there are rumors circulating that it could be released on the Xbox 360. In any case, I can understand the benefits of releasing it on one system at this time. When a game is released across three platforms, it doesn't really take advantage of any of them. By concentrating on one platform, the developers will be able to make a stronger game.

[quote name='Killer7']Yeah I do have to say the second Soul Calibur was overrated. It was slightly above mediocre, but honestly it was so similiar to other fighting games ( as most fighting games are alot alike) it got boring fast Also the first Soul Calibur, aside from being alot more innovative, had more unlockables.[/quote]

While I'll agree that it was overrated simply because gameplay-wise, it wasn't much different than the first, I'd say that it was [b]far[/b] from mediocre. The animation has a smooth, natural look to it that most other fighting games simply don't possess. Furthermore, the gameplay easily put it in the top tier of fighting games when it was released. And, you know what? It's still there.

I also put into question your claim that the game is generic in the field of fighting games. Not only are the characters, art, and plot more distinctive but the weapons-based fighting is easily the best I've ever experienced in the genre. What other fighting games are you playing that make the Soul Calibur games seem mediocre? I would like to know.

[font=trebuchet ms]I totally agree with Charles, the only thing I disliked (minor as it is) is the fact that not all of the characters had 3P outfits to unlock.

I just spent about an hour soaking in the website, I haven't been there yet. I really didn't think that the PS2 could get graphics that good. It really felt that the folds in the clothes were popping out of my monitor. I heard rumors that Raphael would be like a vampire, but reading his story, it's starting to seem true. Seigfried and Nightmare, as said by Sage, look to be two characters. This is really cool, but I hope that there's enough separation in moves to make them two different characters.

I also noticed that some of the returning characters don't have a story, they seem to be the less important characters, while Seigfried, Nightmare, and Raphael have been pushed to the front. Or maybe there's more to the other characters that they don't want to share until the game comes out?

I'm also saddened by the lack of Hwang or Yunsung this time around, as well as Cervantes. However, it looks like you can create similar characters in Character Creation mode.

I am also amazed at what's been hinted by that desktop image myself. It reminds me of something out of FFV or FFT. I really can't wait for this game, I'm like... shaking in excitement over it![/font]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms]
I'm also saddened by the lack of Hwang or Yunsung this time around, as well as Cervantes. However, it looks like you can create similar characters in Character Creation mode.
[/font][/QUOTE]

Don't be sad, R.A.R.! It is said that all the characters from the second installment will be in this game too (although I'd be so much happier if they left that damn-annoying, damn-useless Xianghua out!).

The website is still obvously lacking in material, I'm sure they will add more characters in the near future, as well as the background-story to them all. I'm actually quite surprised that they reveal that much from all of the characters in a website, it's pretty unusual.

I agree that the wallpaper featuring the character creation reminds me of the job-system from countless rpgs, but I hope the options will go beyond those generic jobs listed, as the row/line of characters implies.

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms]I totally agree with Charles, the only thing I disliked (minor as it is) is the fact that not all of the characters had 3P outfits to unlock.

I just spent about an hour soaking in the website, I haven't been there yet. I really didn't think that the PS2 could get graphics that good. It really felt that the folds in the clothes were popping out of my monitor. I heard rumors that Raphael would be like a vampire, but reading his story, it's starting to seem true. Seigfried and Nightmare, as said by Sage, look to be two characters. This is really cool, but I hope that there's enough separation in moves to make them two different characters.[/quote]

Yeah, it's really amazing what Namco has been able to accomplish on the PS2. Soul Calibur 3 runs on an enhanced version of the Tekken 5 engine. If you've never played the Playstation 2 port of Tekken 5 I highly encourage you to do so. It'll really give you a glimpse of what you can expect. Namco has really been on the ball lately; if they were able to rebound successfully after Tekken 4 with such a masterpiece, then I'm sure that Soul Calibur 3 will be awesome.

[quote]I also noticed that some of the returning characters don't have a story, they seem to be the less important characters, while Seigfried, Nightmare, and Raphael have been pushed to the front. Or maybe there's more to the other characters that they don't want to share until the game comes out?[/quote]

They'll all have plots. As you undoubtedly know, every Soul Calibur has been very plot-oriented. Although certain characters are emphasized over others, everyone's given a distinctive and usually interesting backstory. Since this is the first version developed specifically for a console and not the arcade, I'm sure we'll see that tradition furthered.

[quote]I'm also saddened by the lack of Hwang or Yunsung this time around, as well as Cervantes. However, it looks like you can create similar characters in Character Creation mode.[/font][/QUOTE]

In addition to what Sage has said, I've also heard that every character from the series will be returning.

So yeah, I can't wait for this game. It's probably one of the most underrated holiday releases this year.

• 2 weeks later...
This game look awesome! It makes me wish I had bought a PS2 instead of Gamecube. Anyways, the three new characters are ok. Setsuka and Tira look good but I'm not sure about Zasalamel. Probably because his weapon style reminds me of Astaroth and I don't like Astaroth a lot.

I'm gonna miss some of the characters from SC2 that aren't returning but the three characters I use most (Raphael, Kilik, and Talim) are return so I'm happy!

Chronicles of the Sword reminds me a lot of Dynasty Warriors. Must be the level up system, the real time strategy with the chracters moving around on paths like the generals in Dynasty Warriors. The three kingdoms you can fight as also reminds me of the Three Kingdoms in Dynasty Warriors. I guess I have Dynasty Warriors on the brain...

I hate that this game is PS2 exclusive and possibly for the 360. But where's the port for Nintendo? I guess Nintendo isn't getting SC3... :animecry:

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Im really look foward to this it soo awsome ppl love Soul Caliber III you can find a charater an get attach to it like nothin every1 has a signigtar chareter *mostly Nightmare ppl chose*, the creat a chareter mode is cgonna have ppl doin back flips doin alot of customazations and choosin ur class like a ninja, gladiator, monk, samurai and others so far this diffrenitly gonna have best fighter out soon lol [/COLOR]

These are all the characters I've seen that are going to be in SC III, but do not have profiles on the official site.

[spoiler]-Yoshimitsu(Returning)
-Amy(New)
-Arthur(Unkown)
-Abyss(Unknown)
-Ocadan(New)
-Rock(Returning)
-Hwang(Returning)
-Li Long(Returning)
-Lizardman(Returning)
-Cervantes(Returning)
-Revenant(Unkown)
-Seung Mina(Returning)
-Sopitia(Returing)
-Yunsung(Returining)
-Max(Returning)
-Xianghuai(Returning)[/spoiler]

I put spoiler tags because I didn't know the current story and what these characters had to do with it. But, if you want to, please take a look. Though, most of them are from the old games.

I must say myself that I can't wait for the game. I really like costumizing charaters and such, so that feature will bring alot of fun to the game to me.

I wish there would be some more enviroment/character interaction like there was in Tekken 5, even more. All you could do in a stage on SCII was knock your opponent off of it or hit them againist the wall. It's was very easy to be cheap while playing a easy CP on Weapon Master with Voldo's run+triangle attack.

So, with the number of character's I can use, and being able to even make my own, it's a must buy fighting game for me.

Why did you put Setsuka under the spoiler-tags? She's a completely new character and HAS a profile in the official site.

I know about [spoiler]Li Long, Rock (aka. Berserker) and Hwang (aka. Assassin)[/spoiler] even though they didn't appear on SC II (in their own original forms), but who are [spoiler]Amy, Arthur, Abyss, Revenant, or Ocadan[/spoiler]? And where are Seung Mina, Yunsung, Maxi, Xianghua and Charade?

I better go check the new, awesome official site again, in case they've added them there...

[QUOTE=Sage]Why did you put Setsuka under the spoiler-tags? She's a completely new character and HAS a profile in the official site.

I know about [spoiler]Li Long, Rock (aka. Berserker) and Hwang (aka. Assassin)[/spoiler] even though they didn't appear on SC II (in their own original forms), but who are [spoiler]Amy, Arthur, Abyss, Revenant, or Ocadan[/spoiler]? And where are Seung Mina, Yunsung, Maxi, Xianghua and Charade?

I better go check the new, awesome official site again, in case they've added them there...[/QUOTE]

Well, my list wasn't very good...

[spoiler]Yeah, I forgot Seung Mina, Yunsung, Xianghua, but they're in SCIII though.[/spoiler] Though, it seems Charade isn't in the game. Though, [spoiler]when you beat "his" story mode, it seems "he" merged with the Soul Edge, so maybe he's with Nightmare as Soul Edge.[/spoiler]

The 2P costume I saw of Setsuka is very different from her 1P, so I thought she was a totally different character.

[spoiler]Amy, who is new, is a girl from Raphael's past. I think she's seen during the intro scene and is mentioned a few times.

Olcadan is new, and like Charade, he uses random weapons.

Arthur was a subsitute for Mitsurugi in countries where samurai are forbiddin. He might not be the Europian and American version of the game, because I don't see a reason for him.

I can't find anything about Revenant or Aybess though.[/spoiler]

I'll fix my post. Thank you for pointing out my mistakes.

Very interesting, I thought Tira, Zasalamel and Setsuka were the only new characters in the game, plus the ones created from the character creation system.

Oh yes, Charade [spoiler]wasn't a person, just a personification of the particles of the Soul Edge. I'm glad he's not in this game, as he was quite fugly and useless...[/spoiler] ;P

EDIT: [url]http://www.soularchive.jp[/url] now has profiles for Maxi, Xianghua, Yunsung and Seung-Mina!! :D Plus three new stages. ;)

The hype is increasing, definately...

• 1 month later...
I juzt recently bought Soul Caliber 3 & it cease to amaze me the movie intro is well done, there are mre characters in the game, new wepons, some old characters came back, the story mode plays like an rpg, & when u play with a persons story u get sorta of a resident evil 4 thing u cant relax on the cutscenes, but this game really is good I havent done the create a character yet but I hope there are good choices on it but its a really good game ot buy not rent, buy

I got it the other day and I was reminded of how long its been since I played SC. I suck so bad right now, but thankfully I was able to get better with Siegfried, Kilik, and Yoshimitsu. I also noticed how good Zasalamel(sp?) is when I played through the game with him. [spoiler]I honestly picked him just so I could skip the clocktower scene but with no such luck. I think they tried to pass it off like it was his two subconscious's fighting each other but that doesn't negate the fact that I'm sick of that scenario.[/spoiler]

The fact that you have to input commands at certain times in the cinemas is a neat idea but I'm also distracted by the background or something when it shows up. I rareley get it inputed in time or correctly.

I love this game so much that I just might marry it. However, I'm angry at how absurdly difficult it is. Setsuka (who is probably my favorite new character), Xianghua, Seong Mina, and Abyss are nearly impossible to beat, no matter what character I use. It's also annoying that when I pick on of those characters, they're nowhere near as good as the CPU makes them. That's just because I'm human, though.

Maybe Raphael[spoiler] is a vampire now? I haven't read his profile, so I don't know if it says anything about it, but I was playing as either Siegfried or Nightmare, I don't remember, and my character said "You're not human anymore, are you?" So, that's pretty ub3r nifty.[/spoiler] Did anyone else think he resembled David Bowie in SCII? Not so much anymore, though.

Chronicle 10 in Chronicle of the Swords is the hardest thing I've ever done. [spoiler] Hyle is impossible, because he constantly guards everywhere, and I can't hit him enough. On top of that, his arena lowers the offense, so when I do hit him it barely hurts. He also button mashes, if the insane weapon slashing of the CPU could be called that. He's worse than my sister. Even if I do manage to beat him, which I've only done twice, the boss sends out a huge horde of soldiers who start recapturing all my forts. They're not too strong, but after struggling with Hyle I won't have but one or two allies left.[/spoiler]

So, overall, I think this is the best game I've ever played. I especially adore the character creation system: I made a list of all the characters I wanted to make and it ended up over a hundred (at least eighty eight original characters, some people from anime, and several annoying people from school whom I wanted to beat up, including the administrators at my old school: money pirates. =D)

This game is yummy. <3

No, Raphael and his adopted daughter [spoiler]Amy were tainted by Soul Edge fragments. Now, he's trying to taint the world so Amy doesn't feel different anymore.[/spoiler] He just looks like a vampire now.

The game play keeps the same old formula, but takes away the ability to guard impact so easily. The new characters are nice, but I'm more insterested in playing my favorite older characters, Talim and Mitsurugi. Though, the new additions to the rooster are still nice. Each of their fighting styles are very unique to their own, and fun to play with.

Creating your own character is a nice ideal. Even if they are a little uneven, but it really shows in Chronicless of the Swords. My characters can beat level 60 guys, but not level 30? Also, it's hard moving your characters around, and your main characters always enters a battle first, so they're always the highest level of your soldiers. It just seems strange and unpolished. But, it's still is fun.

I've had the game for 3 days, and have unlocked alot of niffty things. Though, everthing I've unlocked only stractches surface. There's still tons of more weapons, characters, and extras to unlock.

So, I'm diffently having fun with the game.

But I was wondering, are there third costumes?

• 2 weeks later...
[font=trebuchet ms]Ok, I've played this game nonstop for a week, ignoring homework and social life to do so.

The English voiceovers are horrible. After the first two days I switched the language to Japanese and was much happier.

Xianghua has been taking steroids since SCII, while some of the more broken characters like Talim and Ivy have been toned down. I'm disappointed with Talim now, until I decide to get used to her new moves. Ivy's good moves are harder to do, but they make more sense.

Kilik is a lot better in this game, as if he wasn't n00btastic enough in the last game. I hate what they did with Maxi's jumping attack, they stuck it right in the middle of his combos so your opponent can sidestep and watch you dive off the cliff. Fun. Some characters, like Cassandra, were barely changed, which is fine with me.

I'm disappointed with how few moves Tira has, and her lack of speed doesn't help. Her moves seem to be interrupted constantly; I'd rather play as Seigfried or Nightmare, who feel faster this time around. At least Tira can juggle you right out of the ring when things go well.

Setsuka and Zsalamel are awesome, though. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like Setsuka until I bought the game and lost to her some fourty times before I decided to quit and play the game as her. She was the first character I beat the game with. Zasalamel's moves are just plain awesome and well-balanced, I like him.

I have not bothered to play Chronicles yet, as I decided to wait to get good weapons and cool stuff to make characters out of. I keep hearing that it's next to impossible, so I guess it's good that I waited anyways.

Making your own characters is fun, what's better is making characters based off of your friends, having the real person come over, and you kicking their *** with him/her.

Overall, it's a fun game, but a few of the changes made me mad. I'm not sure if I can really say I like it better than SCII, especially since I know that game like the back of my hand.[/font]

Troo' dat, Rifles. I made a bunch of my friends (including myself) and even some teachers that I had. My boyfriend and I fought (me as him and him as me), so it didn't matter who beat who; we both won. =D

I'm kind of laying off it recently, because I've discovered some other new things that occupy my time more. Wheee. The soul still burns, though.

[quote name='XxZeroxX']Does anyone know how to get other classes for create a character mode im lookin for a Samurai, Knight, Assaine, & Gladior I fight them but I dont have the classes can someone help me out?[/quote]

Well, it's hard to unlock things in the game. You could probably do it with through battle count, like most things in the game, but here's how to get the other classes.

Assassin- Get a Ninja character to lvl. 30 in Chronicles of the Sword.
Gladiator- Get a Barbarian character to lvl. 30 in Chronicles of the Sword.
Pirate- Get a Thief character to lvl. 30 in Chronicles of the Sword.
Sage- Get a Saint character to lvl. 30 in Chronicles of the Sword.
Samurai- Get a Assassincharacter to lvl. 50 in Chronicles of the Sword.
Knight- Get a Gladiator charater to lvl. 50 in Chronicles of the Sword.

Though, you'll mostly unlock things as you play longer. Just play through Chronicles of the Sword and you will probably be able to unlock most of the classes in the store.

• 1 month later...
[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms]Ok, I've played this game nonstop for a week, ignoring homework and social life to do so.

The English voiceovers are horrible. After the first two days I switched the language to Japanese and was much happier.

Xianghua has been taking steroids since SCII, while some of the more broken characters like Talim and Ivy have been toned down. I'm disappointed with Talim now, until I decide to get used to her new moves. Ivy's good moves are harder to do, but they make more sense.

Kilik is a lot better in this game, as if he wasn't n00btastic enough in the last game. I hate what they did with Maxi's jumping attack, they stuck it right in the middle of his combos so your opponent can sidestep and watch you dive off the cliff. Fun. Some characters, like Cassandra, were barely changed, which is fine with me.

I'm disappointed with how few moves Tira has, and her lack of speed doesn't help. Her moves seem to be interrupted constantly; I'd rather play as Seigfried or Nightmare, who feel faster this time around. At least Tira can juggle you right out of the ring when things go well.

Setsuka and Zsalamel are awesome, though. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like Setsuka until I bought the game and lost to her some fourty times before I decided to quit and play the game as her. She was the first character I beat the game with. Zasalamel's moves are just plain awesome and well-balanced, I like him.

I have not bothered to play Chronicles yet, as I decided to wait to get good weapons and cool stuff to make characters out of. I keep hearing that it's next to impossible, so I guess it's good that I waited anyways.

Making your own characters is fun, what's better is making characters based off of your friends, having the real person come over, and you kicking their *** with him/her.

Overall, it's a fun game, but a few of the changes made me mad. I'm not sure if I can really say I like it better than SCII, especially since I know that game like the back of my hand.[/font][/QUOTE]

I finished the Chronicles mode a little while ago, and it wasn't really that hard except for a few parts that were nearly impossible. A little bit of luck can go a long way. Theres also a super cheap move that you can use repeatedly with the Iron Sword move set, but I won't spoil it if you don't already know it since its kinda no fun.

So far I've only managed to beat the story mode all the way through night terror with Kilik, who I have almost his whole moveset down. It took me a long time though since dying once is pretty easy to do. I still haven't beaten Amy, but I beat the shop girls and most of the other unlockable side characters.

I think Chronicles is really fun, it unlocks a ton of costume parts and also gives you a good reason to play your created characters. The actual strategy part is pretty weak, but it is what it is. I just got the Type X-parts that let you build Kos-Mos, though I'm not sure why I wanted to :)

Talim is in it, but she's not as fast. Her moves don't combo as easily, but she jumps around a lot more. My friends say that she's more "cat-like". I used Talim almost exclusively in Soul Calibur II, but I can't see myself doing that in Soul Calibur III.

My friends and I are obsessed with this game. It's the only thing we play when we're together, and all my friends practice by themselves when we're not. Usually, we pick one character and stick with it, but I haven't picked one yet. xD Like I said, I don't like Talim as much in this game. Maybe she's less cheap... hm...

-Arvi