OtakuBoards

Soul Calibur III

Charles

Who your favorite Soul Caliber fighter?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who your favorite Soul Caliber fighter?

• Nightmare
    • Sigefried
    • Mitsirugi
    • Taki
    • Kilik
    • Maxi
    • Raphel
    • Xianugha
    • Cervantes
    • Ivy
    • Cassandra
    • Sung mina
    • Yung Sung
    • Sophita
    • Voldo
    • Lizerd man
    • Assisanin
    • Asteroph

A new scan from Gamepro ( from the May issue, not the April one) has surfaced, which reveals some interesting, and unexpected information alongside some character art and screen shots. The biggest surprise (considering the sales of the GameCube version were the strongest) is that Soul Calibur 3 appears to be a Playstation 2 exclusive. If the game adopts the Tekken 5 engine it should still be technically impressive but I really can't see the point in limiting this to one console after the previous game's terrific marketing scheme.

The ability to create a fighter is interesting, however, along with the author's claim that "Everyone knows that Soul Calibur 2 was a disappointment." lol

[CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/ridleysaria/superweak.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats really retarded, Soul Calibur 2 was a great game, and the series is one of the most fun fighting games. The only disappointment about it was the PS2 version that had a lame Tekken character when they could have snagged someone really cool like a FFX Auron or something.

That being said I'm definitely excited about 3, the characters and weapons are always cool, and if they seem to think that they need to step it up in terms of innovation then more than likely the game will be pretty cool. The lady in green is pretty naked too and that will never hurt.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']It seems strange that the magazine is citing the game being on each system with a different character as the sole reason as to why it didn't advance the gameplay significantly. In fact, it just seems entirely ridiculous.[/quote]

Yeah, I've always thought that Gamepro's brand of "journalism" was bad, but I had no idea it was this laughable. The quality of writing in the article is probably the equivalent to a poor post on a message board. Which, is why I'm surprised that they were able to secure such an exclusive story. It also makes me question the credibility of their claims of PS2 exclusivity here.

I have never trusted Gamepro, and I never will. I'll wait till' it shows up in GameInformer, so I can get facts, instead of opinions like the ones shown in this report. If it does turn out to be for PS2, I will dismiss it as "crap" and not even try to get it. Soul Calibur 2 is FREAKING AWESOME.

Yeah, it's really strange to hear somebody claiming that Soul Calibur II is a bad game, or at least a big letdown. SC2 is currently the only fighting game I own (or have ever owned), and that's only because I'm really into fantasy weapons (and naturally fighting with them). SC2 has been the joy of many evenings in my life, and I see nothing bad in it (well, maybe to someone who has played all the fighting games ever made it might seem repetitive, but wouldn't that be the case in any other genre/game as well).

I really hadn't heard anything about SC3 yet, so this article is new info for me. Are there only three new characters? That seems a bit too few... Well, the other features (like making up an own character) sound cool enough, although I'm a bit sceptical on how they make it happen (a character constructed of separate parts hardly compares to a premade character in visuals).

Anyhow, I guess this is another game to wait for, although I'm not saying I'm going to buy it as soon as it hits the stores just yet. Let's see what it has to offer that SC2 doesn't already have.

There a Soul Caliber 3 I thought it was just a story Namco just finish Tekken 5 and they still need to finish the Xenosaga series, now this can't belive it but the pics Charles is showin doesn't lie i guess, I liked soul caliber on the gamecube alot but could of been alot better could have online play for Ps2 and Xbox live hopein that soul caliber 3 is really good but in my thought I really hope it has online for thr PS2 and the Xbox.

I suggest waiting until it appears on IGN.COM before you crack a spaz. I usually don't trust Gamepro when it comes to games as they are usually wrong about a few games. A Create A Character mode would be the equivalent of a Smackdown game hopefully so the Animation of a created character is always not going to be on par with a Default character. They also need to get their facts straight with Soul Caliber 2, It was on of the biggest selling games over the last year. IMyself am going to be wary until more details are released.

well I only recently got Soul Calibur 2 on GCN of course as it has Link and think it is a great game. Anyway if they do release a third it's disapointing that it's not on multiple systems as it means they won't be having special characters again.

Is it just me or does that bottom left pic in the scan look like Lulu from FFX? If they are going to include one or more FF characters in soul Calibur 3 it would be awesome.

[QUOTE=Meggido]well I only recently got Soul Calibur 2 on GCN of course as it has Link and think it is a great game. Anyway if they do release a third it's disapointing that it's not on multiple systems as it means they won't be having special characters again.

Is it just me or does that bottom left pic in the scan look like Lulu from FFX? If they are going to include one or more FF characters in soul Calibur 3 it would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

It would have to be a mexican-fiesta version of lulu, and she would probably be the worst character to include just because she is a terrible fighter. The special characters included in the games are always cool, especially since the big lisence games which have cool characters tend to stink (DBZ Budokai). If they make the create-a-character thing really well you can make ripoff's of favorite FF characters or something?

really creating a fighting game character would be cool, but hard to make unless you just copy one of the in-game fighting styles. Its a tough balance between making it too hard to make your own fighting style or just copying someone elses. Create a weapon would be even more fun; don't worry about the fighter but to be able to make cool weapons would be excellent. Guitar shaped axe!!!

The woman on the bottom-left corner is definately [I]not[/I] Lulu from FFX. I think it's Taki wearing an alternative dress (at least I'm pretty sure that the woman fighting Mitsurugi in the next picture is Taki), but it could very well be a new character, a gypsy woman or something...

New Famistu scans.

[url]http://img237.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img237&image=sciii11qx.jpg[/url]

[url]http://img237.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img237&image=sciii22ew.jpg[/url]

Also, there's an article up on IGN which features new information, confirms the PS2 exclusivity and features new media.

[url]http://ps2.ign.com/articles/598/598424p1.html?fromint=1[/url]

Hmm, I think it's very good that they didn't add yet another character with some sort of sword, because frankly speaking SC 2 had way too many of those [spoiler] (let's see: Mitsurugi, Taki, Raphael, Cassandra, Xianghua, Yunsung, Nightmare, Ivy, Yoshimitsu, Sophitia, Cervantes, Assassin, Link in the CG version... 13 in total, a big majority)[/spoiler]

So, the new characters are pleasingly varying: [spoiler]the arabic Zasalamel wielding a scythe, the bionic-looking Tira with a bladed hoola-hoop, and the geisha Setsuka with a dagger and a parasol.[/spoiler] Wonder if any more characters will appear...

It's getting to the point where I don't know why I should even support third parties on the GameCube in the first place. Why should people pay full price for something like SCII when it was new, pushing the GCN verison to the highest sales numbers and then just be told it's not getting the next installment? It just seems so futile.

I have both systems, but it's certainly a blow to people who don't.

Also, I don't think Ivy's weapon can easily be categorized as a simple "sword".

[QUOTE=Generic NPC #3]
Also, I don't think Ivy's weapon can easily be categorized as a simple "sword".[/QUOTE]

I hesitated before putting her name on the list, but ultimately an "Ivy Sword" is still [I]some sort [/I] of sword, as I said (the name itself reveals the reason). ;)

Okay, this is totally needless nitpicking, so forgive me... :sweat: Uh, SC3 rocks!!! (Phew, now this [I]totally[/I] has nothing to do with spam...)

Zasalamel looks badass (plus his name is fun to say), and Setsuka seems sort of uninspired, but I'm split on Tira. She seems out-of-place in the Soul Calibur universe, when you consider how everybody else is either true-to-history or some sort of monster from under the bed. She's more impish, in an almost disgusting way, if you judge her by the pre-rendered image. She looks a lot better in-game.

Still, though, I don't see much of a reason for a Soul Calibur III yet. I'm still in love with the second one, so unless they do something really cool and/or innovative, I'm probably just going to rent this one first.

I'm hoping that this PS2-exclusivity is for a limited time only, if only for the sake of console-exclusive characters. Though I never really used Spawn and Heihachi, Link was my cheap last resort, and I shall miss him dearly.

But what is up with the new logo? It practically screams "Star Fox."

I have found out more information on Soul Calibur 3 on [url]http://playstation2.joystiq.com/entry/1234000337030927/[/url] and apparently Dante may appear in the lineup. It has also been revealed that it might just be PS2 exclusive at first. Well, Fingers crossed for all of the GCN and X-Box owners.

[QUOTE] Taken from [url]http://playstation2.joystiq.com/entry/1234000337030927/[/url]

According to a recent interview with Namco producer, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Devil May Cry?s leading man, Dante, could wind up in Soul Calibur 3 for the PS2. Reportedly, Capcom borrowed the Soul Calibur 2 engine for a boss fight in the upcoming Devil May Cry 3. In return, Namco requested the rights to use Dante in the next Soul Calibur sequel to ?appease? fans.[/QUOTE]

When I heard it was gonna be PS2-exclusive, I got kinda depressed. The art looks gorgeous and the gameplay was already pretty much perfect in the second one (and even the first) so I'm wondering how they're gonna improve that. But the PS2 had trouble running the Windmill level so I'm scared as to how its gonna run. I play the SC2 on the Gamecube and it runs perfectly, without slowdowns or anything like that, but the PS2 isn't as powerful as the Gamecube or XBox... I hope it turns out nicely, or that its only PS2-exclusive for a while. I really don't wanna play the game if it isnt running at it's fullest (it'll probably just irritate me since I'll end up comparing it to SC2). But SC2 is already great, so I'm probably just gonna stick with that (rather than buying a PS2 just for SC3 >P)

Aside from that though, the new characters look pretty interesting. I wanna see how their weapons and everythiing will work.

I just saw a trailer of Soul Cailber 3 the game looks beautifil three new kick *** fighters (one looks like Lulu from FFX but that's cool)I'll get it when it's on the PS2, and the Gamecube also I hope the Gamecube has Link still that's what made Soul Caliber 2 really good.

Hiroaki Yotoriyama (The Soul Calibur III producer) has confirmed that there won't be any guest characters in the game, and that there won't be any online play. I personally find these to be bad moves, and in a sense, hypocritical, when you consider how he's been going on about how he aims to please the fans. I never saw anybody who said that they disliked cameo aspect. In fact, I know several people who bought all three versions of the game simply for the cameos.

I don't care about online play so much, but it would still be cool to have. Let's hope that the new features they're putting in the game will make up for what they're lacking.

Soul Calibur II was a great game! The DAY it came out I made my mom drive me an hour to a nearest Future Shop so I could buy it for Xbox. I spent weeks on it. Even after I beat everything I just used to challenge people over and over and over again. My friends also come over and play against me. I don't get why they call it such a crappy game because it certainly does entertain me.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Tatsubei Yagyu']They're going to have a create-a-fighter mode.[/quote]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.sweethypocrisies.com/sort/forumfun/images/sucks/pastjustcalled.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

You've posted--yet contributed nothing! It's magic! A post that requires more than two seconds, requires some measure of effort and a dash of real thought to create would be appreciated within my thread. Thanks!

I bought SCII and wasn't really impressed. It was fun, but there wasn't much depth to it. It was fun, but I don't expect much from SCIII, or the series for that matter. Also, if the game is PS2 exclusive, it would make no sense at all. Generic stated it before. Why would the original open up and actually vary between systems and then come out with a sequel exclusive to just one.

• 4 months later...
It has been a while since I visited the [B]official site [/B] of SC3 ([url]http://www.soularchive.jp[/url]), and to my delightful surprise, it was packed with new info!

[B]Character profiles[/B] are now available, besides the three new characters, for Mitsurugi, Taki, Ivy, Voldo, Astaroth, Cassandra, Raphael, Talim, Kilik, and both Siegfried and Nightmare (who seem to be two different characters in this game)!

Also, the site offers [B]360 degrees view [/B] to at least seven stages (didn't count).

But the best thing I found, to my opinion, is located at the Desktop Items-section. [b]Check out the last wallpaper and behold the might of the character creation system[/B]! I had my doubts on it, thinking it would only have some generic options, but if you can really create such versatile characters, I'm definately getting this game! ;D