OtakuBoards

What Do You Think?

Xyandar

Here's a good question that always gets on everyones mind at some point in time.
[B]What Do You Think The Meaning Of Life Is??[/B] Do you think it is just to live life and see how long you can last? What do you think?

I think that the meaning of life is that we were created to see how long we can live and how successful we can become in our lifetime. Someone who constantly smokes for numerous years and gets into hard drugs and alcahol will not get them a very successful life at all. They will have a really low immune system and will get really sick and possibly get disorders, Overdosing, or Alcahol Poison. Those are bad obstacles that try to stop us from continuing in life or at least shortening and/or threatening our life span.

So what do you think??

I'm eager to see what other people will post under this thread, since theres a lot of different people here with a lot of different opinions. Myself, an athiest, couldn't really tell you the meaning of life. Since I don't believe in god I can't refer to him or why he created us. And if he did, it seems we're some sort of amusement for him. "People are doing well, eh? Lets throw some cancer down there and see what happens." Its terrible to think of it that way, but can anyone prove it wrong? No. Truth is no one knows why we're here, so this thread will probably cause lots of opinionated bickering, which is always fun.

[quote name='Morpheus]The meaning of life is and will forever be [B]47[/B'].[/quote]

Actually, the answer to Life the Universe and Everything is [b]42[/b], not 47. Though, we shall never know what that means until we truly understand the question.

Click [URL=http://www.google.ca/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=deskbar&q=what+is+the+answer+to+life+the+universe+and+everything%3F][U]Here[/U][/URL] for the Google Calculator and [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Answer_to_Life,_the_Universe,_and_Everything][U]Here[/U][/url] for Wikkipedia article on 42.

Back on topic, this is actually a deeply Philosophical question that has been asked since the beginning of life itself.
Many believe that our lives are consequential and have no purpose.
Some believe that this life is a passage to the next and is either a test or a deciding factor for the next "life".
Some Darwinists may argue that the purpose is to procreate and have our species prosper and suceed.

Although my knowledge in either subject is embaressingly minimal, I am particularly interested in the Zen/Ch'an Buddhist teachings and the Chaos theory.
Zen attracts me with its teachings of simplicity and importance of one's inate nature, while the Chaos theory is attractive because it makes the future so complex that things can only flow and nothing can be predicted.

Although at the moment my life policies and religion in general are in flux, my purpose in life is to find my purpose and have turned to Philosophy to find my answer.

Oh and "God's final message to his creation: Sorry for the inconvenience"

-ArV

[SIZE=1]Well, I feel there are a few points to life.

1. To live to better the human race, and make it a more enjoyable place to be farther down the road for your offspring. It's basically that "greater good" philosophy coming from here.

2. And to live the best life you can. To try and live up to your morals, and to excel at what you do. To push ahead, slogging through the muck and grime of the world to push forth society and yourself.

3. Or perhaps to worship God.

4. Or perhaps just to die -- our life is inconsequential. We cease to exist when we die, so in the grand scheme of things, what is the point?

I personally, go to explaination #2, and perhaps a little less of #3.[/SIZE]

Wow I really like the opinions in here.
Kakashi: I know what you mean about him just using us like rats practically. See how we live and then add a few wars here n there n a whole bunch of diseases to see how we live after... for all we know he's waiting for our race to end so that he can re-create us or a different race to see how they live, learn, and act. Noone really knows but it's interesting to think about.

I don't think there is a meaning. The meaning of life is simply to exist. After all, we are born, do a bunch of stuff and then pop our clogs. All you have to do is live, after all, life is all there is to live for.
:animeshy: :animeshy: <---OMG there's blood coming out of my eyes! *cough* whatever

[FONT=Tahoma]I don't think there is an exact meaning of life. Life is random, life is complicated, simple, joyful and tragic all at the same time. Life is what you make of it, depending on what makes you satisfied and happy, is what will determine your "life". Life is a chance to do things, to make the most of while your here. It's a chance to fall in love, loose love, make friends and loose them, it's a balance of good and evil and a intertwining twist of religion. Whatever you choose to base your "life" on is life. Life is only what you make of it, and everyone's life will always be different. Life is you to sum it all up =).[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma]_ kittyahh[/FONT]

Why are we here, what's life all about?
Is God really real, or is there some doubt?
Well tonight, we're going to sort it all out
For tonight it's the Meaning of Life.
What's the point of all this hoax?
Is it the chicken and the egg time,
Are we just yolks?
Or perhaps we're just one of God's little jokes.
Well ça c'est the Meaning of Life.
Is life just a game where we make up the rules,
While we're searching for something to say,
Or are we just simply spiralling coils,
Of self-replicating DNA?
In this life, what is our fate?
Is there Heaven and Hell? Do we reincarnate?
Is mankind evolving or is it too late?
Well tonight here's the Meaning of Life.
For millions this life is a sad vale of tears,
Sitting round with nothing to say,
While scientists say we're just spiralling coils,
Of self-replicating DNA.
So just why, why are we here?
And just what, what, what, what do we fear?
Well çe soir, for a change, it will all be made clear,
For this is the Meaning of Life
-c'est la sens de la vie,
This is the Meaning of Life.

M-hmm. Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations

Also, we should all wear more hats.

Thats an interesting poem! hehe I do almost everythin u sed Xander. I don't eat alot of fat, I read books, and I wear different hats=P

KittyLynn: Wow what you said really got me thinking about if that really is what life is. I love all of these opinions because there is so much to think about and it makes everyone think 'what if one of these are the meaning of life and we haven't realized it?'

[QUOTE=Retribution]
1. To live to better the human race, and make it a more enjoyable place to be farther down the road for your offspring. It's basically that "greater good" philosophy coming from here.
[/QUOTE]
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only difference between us and the animals is that we can reason. The meaning of life should be the meaning for all speices. Not just us humans.

I belive the meaning of life is simply to live and then to die and continue the existence of our speices.
Nobody knows what lies beyond this world. How can you even be sure that this is not a dream. What if the whole meaning of life thing is just a question to torture our minds in this world until we die.
No theory can be proven in this world so I figure why ask when you'll more than likely find out when you die.

What's the meaning of life? Well, if I believed in God, I think I'd probably say something about proving myself worthy of redemption and getting to heaven.
Personally, I think it's all just a huge game. We live short lives and learn nothing really...We do well for a short period of time, and then we hit a pitfall and flounder around for a time...it's like a wheel...
The meaning of life is simply to live, I suppose...that's what gives life a meaning.

Looking at it from a more depressing point of view, I guess one could draw the conclusion that there really isn't a meaning at all. I mean, what do humans do with their lives? They spend their time on earth hurrying around trying to prove to everyone that they're the best, they reproduce out of the strange need to further their pathetic race's existance...and they spend so much time trying to achieve immortality...what for? To die of course, because no matter what...that's what happens. :animeswea

I apologize if I offend anyone in the following post.

[quote]Since I don't believe in god I can't refer to him or why he created us. And if he did, it seems we're some sort of amusement for him.[/quote]
Does it seem like we're just a form of entertainment? If there were a creature that was on a level so high that it could just decide to throw an epidemic upon the world, how much pleasure could it take in doing so?
If one were so enlightened, how could it take pleasure in the suffering of others? Human philosophers have found that with an increase in intelligence and an increase in understanding comes an increase in compassion and empathy. A being who is enlightened to the point of God-like powers should thus be compassionate enough that it wouldn't just create an epidemic because of tea-time boredom.

I don't necessarily believe in the creator image myself, but even if I bring myself to it, the reason I have can't come to the conclusion you came to.

[quote]3. Or perhaps to worship God.[/quote]
Sometimes I really have to wonder why people devote themselves to [b]anything[/b]. I don't mean to offend anybody religious, but honestly why? Some psychologists may say that humans need to belong. They need to find an answer to explain things and that's why myths, religion, science, and philosphy were created.
Although this explains the reason religions exist, it doesn't explain why people will blindly sign on to a blatantly fantastic story that has no basis of proof other than circumstantial, biased letters and artifacts.
Why would you devote yourself to something unseen, and unfelt? Why would you listen to what somebody thousands of years tells you to do? Why would you blindly follow rules without even understanding all of them.

[quote]Um...what? Did you mean "inconsequential"? : P Silly Arvie.[/quote]
yes, that's what i meant. >P

[quote]Life is what you make of it, depending on what makes you satisfied and happy, is what will determine your "life". [/quote]
Ah, the 'everyone gets their own meaning' argument. The problem with this argument is that it only eplains our purpose. It explains what to do with life, "the meaning of life is to be happy...etc." but it doesn't explain why we exist. Why does suffering happen? Why do some people have more chance than others? Why am I so fat/ugly/sick/(fe)male/unlucky etc.?
Why are we on Earth? Are put here by a logical form? If so, why? If not, how and why are we here? Is there no reason but to enjoy yourself and satiate your hungers? Does that justify psychotic killers and rapists?

[quote]I wish I could take credit, but it's actually from Monty Python lol...[/quote]
Gotta love the flying circus. That Viking(Or was it pirate?) bit before/after the movie was strange though.

[quote]I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only difference between us and the animals is that we can reason. The meaning of life should be the meaning for all speices. Not just us humans.

I belive the meaning of life is simply to live and then to die and continue the existence of our speices.
Nobody knows what lies beyond this world. How can you even be sure that this is not a dream. What if the whole meaning of life thing is just a question to torture our minds in this world until we die.
No theory can be proven in this world so I figure why ask when you'll more than likely find out when you die.[/quote]
Ah... very nice. You cannot prove or understand the meaning of the universe because you are always a part of it. If you are dreaming, you do not know it. In that sense it is difficult to realize if this world is a dream.
Although Lucid Dreamers can tell the difference between dreaming and reality (using simple techniques that anybody can learn) I like to think that the statement serves a different purpose. What I believe you're touching upon is that we cannot trust what our emotions tell us. Also, there is no way to prove anything unless you rely upon emotions to observe the results.

Life is confusing, yes. Can we understand it? I think so. I believe that if we use our reason and logic, we can use facts and data that can not be altered by emotions or preferences (1+2 will always be 3). How long this will take... is a different matter.

The knowledge of the Universe can come to you, but only when your mind is open and willing to receive.

-ArV

ps. Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I just like to debate. ^^;; And I hope this made sense... I typed as quick as I could...

see, thats why I said this post was so opinionated, everyone has different religions and every religion has a different veiw on god/the creation of earth. My comment referring to us being gods amusement is just that. Who says godi s a divine creature? If he/she does exist, who says they're someone worth worshipping. And it annoys me how some people fallow these religions so blindly, its ridiculous. Pledging your life to something or someone your not even sure is there. And praying to someone who might now even be listening. False hope only goes so far.

As for the opinionated thing, I'd just like to hear what others say when they're forced to rethink their ideas. That's why I asked about certain things.

[quote name='x kakashi x']Who says godi s a divine creature?[/quote]

Well... definition of divine directly deals with God.
"[b]Godlike, or coming from, or having to do with a god.[/b]"

For the sake of continuing though, I assume that you meant compassionate. Somebody who wouldn't use lower life forms as a means of amusement.

As I said before, as a creature becomes more enlightened comes the greater compassion. All religions and faiths agree that when one becomes enlightened (or whatever the counterpart) there loses a need for the worldy desires that humans have.

Therefore, if an entity were powerful enough to destroy and play with our lives, it would have to be enlightened to the point of compassion. It would also be rid of the desires like the desire for entertainment from something so barbaric.

-ArV

well, I was never really good at definitions, you got what I meant by divine anyway. I'd like to reply to the brilliant comment you've posted, but at the moment I'm a bit out of it at the moment, and I didn't really get what you were trying to say. You don't have to re-post and break it down for me, that would just confirm my stupidity lol. My point was, everyone has their own beliefs and ideals, so how can we classify one thing as right or wrong. Especially something as important as this (in some people's lives). Whether god created us or not, we've been given free will. We're able to choose what is right and what is wrong for ourselves. We're able to do what we want but expected to follow rules previously created in the bible, or another historical text. And the bible wasn't even written by god, or jesus, or another "divine" figure. It was written by prophets. And as we all know, people can be decptive and sinical and god's words could've been twisted in any way they saw fit. I think its unfair to follow the words of others rather then god himself. Isn't that disrespecting the one they claim to follow?

Many things lead me to disbelieve in god and/or his teachings. The people who claim to worship god sin frequently, and just because they apologize and repent, that makes it ok. Well, its not ok to apologize for something and then continue to do it. Unless you learn from your mistakes then you've learned nothing and continuing to repent is just stopping you from growing as a person. I do my best to live a good life and be a good person, whether I go to church every sunday, every once in awhile, or not at all. I believe a higher power, whoever it may be, will acknowledge this and I will be rewarded, rather then those who choose to judge and hurt people, even when their "god" is against it. Sorry if I offended anyway, I always make it a point to apologize at the end of these, since its religion and such :animesigh

[COLOR=DarkGreen]The meaning of life, you say?

I have a theory that life is nothing but a game that some people are destined to win as others may not be so lucky. To see how well you can progress on this game without losing... that's why there are so many mature people out there. Some choose to take on the responsibility while others choose to dwindle in the moment of youth and waste away their lives.

Maturity comes with how you set your standards in life, not age. Some don't have the choice of living out their childhood because their parents are too dense to understand that by making a child grow up too fast on education at such a young age that they're ruining any chances of the child wanting to continue this little "game" called life.

I am not a person who asks "Why?" much... just as I am not a person who believes that there is a force out there controlling all of our actions... I run on instincts and treat life as if it were a game or mission that needed to be finished.

The purpose of life is to learn things and discover whole new possibilities that can possibly help the generations to come... and by wasting one's life on alcohol and drugs, you are only tainting the world with more scum that it can live without.

Don't get me wrong, having fun is all apart of life! Hells, I love partying hard and having a good time, but I don't have to drink and do drugs just to have fun while ruining my own life.

My purpose in life is to finish the game and learn new things before my end. ^.^[/COLOR]

[B]x kakashi x[/B]
I re-read my post and found the language terrifyingly unclear. Please don't blame yourself.

Basically, my only reason for posting was to pull out your opinions more. I'd like to hear your opinions. Rather than agree to disagree (that's very boring to me) I like to have Philosophical debates that [b]have[/b] conflicting sides.

Nothing you say can offend me in anyway. Unless you talk about my hat. I like my hat.
... Okay I don't have a hat.

[b]Kawaii Seth[/b]
Do you mean that the only meaning in this life lies in the physical domain you see before you? What do you think happens when somebody dies? Do our actions in this world affect what may happen? If they do not, why act a certain way? What's the incentive?

Also, why don't you ask Why?

-ArV

I'll buy you a hat for your birthday ;) . And I understand what you were trying to do, I agree, its boring to just conform your opinion to someone elses, or just agree to disagree. Hopefully, someone got something from my rabbling posts. And even if they didn't, all I ask is for them to respect my beliefs and opinions, like I do theirs, even if they don't agree with it.

X kakashi X: I have read everything you posted in this thread I created and you make alot of sense! Everything you've said makes me think and start on another thought and opinion:P

Same with you r2vq. What you said is sort of where I'm going..just in my head haha. Wow I didn't see this thread actually making it this far lol...i mean...I created it late at night!=P