OtakuBoards

Should Incest Be Illegal?

Gentle

Well? What do you think? I've been going over this question in my mind for a while and finally decided to ask everyone else. Do you think that incest should be illegal?

I'm going to forever stick with yes because if you have an attraction to someone it's just you. No one should care about it or not. Besides, I don't even know over half of my family and I walk by one everyday somehow. Even if they're my father's mother's nephew, I'm not sure of it until someone else tells me.

I've heard someone say that there are too many retards around nowadays and that whoever is stupid enough to try and create more should be arrested for it. The world needs more mutants and retards because it's becoming too prejudice anyway. Most people just don't get it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=blue]Everyone has a different definition of incest. When it comes down to your immediate family, there's no doubt that it should be illegal. Even on a genetic/scientific level, one can consider it forbidden. However, things get a little sticky when you get to cousins and the extended family.

I don't really approve of the marrying your cousin thing, but there's technically nothing wrong with it. It's a hard case, simply because there's no clear, flat-out deleterious problem. Also, it does depend on how close (genetically) they are to you. In fact, isn't that all it comes down to? O_o

Maybe it's circumstantial? I imagine that if you didn't grow up with them, they'd be more attractive or something. *shrugs*[/COLOR]

[color=darkslateblue] Immediate family incest would be bad for the children the two people would have. High, high, high chance of something going wrong during the fertilization of the egg.

Even with extended family, the children have a high risk of being unhealthy or developing some sort of mental problem. But I really have no problem with them marrying. They should just re-think whether they should have kids of not, eh?

Actually, what I'm most curious about when the subject of incest comes up is the psychological reasons brothers and sisters normally will not fall in love other than platonically. And all that fun mind stuff. :)[/color]

[quote name='Lunox][color=darkslateblue']And all that fun mind stuff. :)[/color][/quote]
You should take a look at the anime [b]Koi Kaze[/b]. It's a brilliant, deeply disturbing character study that focuses on an adult man who falls in love with his teenage sister (and vice versa). The show doesn't preach, sugar-coat the situation or pull any punches. It's really a great watch if you don't mind the subject material.

Anyway. I don't particularly see anything wrong with marrying a cousin, although I can't say it's something I would want to do. If I recall correctly, recent scientific studies or whatnot have shown that the potential negative effects of having children with one's cousin are actually far less of a threat than one would be inclined to think. Although I can't remember exactly where I read this.

I do believe that being sexually/romantically interested in or involved with a parent, child or sibling is a sign that there's something seriously wrong, emotionally or psychologically. That's just not healthy, no matter how you slice it.

~Dagger~

[color=#9933ff]You know, the words "Oedipus complex" come to mind. I felt sorry for him because he didn't know it was his mother. But it doesn't make the situation any less icky. ><

I don't approve of marrying your first or second cousin or anything like that. I'm not even a fan of your third or fourth cousin, although the chances of something going wrong with the egg is much less. Actually, FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt come to mind, since they were fourth cousins. I guess marrying someone furhter, like a fourth cousin is alright, but I would never do something like that, no matter how much I liked my cousin. Ick.

Most royalty are inter-related somehow. Well, royalty from long ago, mind you. For instance, Nicholas & Alexandra - the last Romanovs of Russia were distant relations of each other. Meh [/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]I think this is one of those situations where people just shouldn't bother.

I mean, really, what are we going to do? Put police in people's bedrooms to ensure that siblings aren't having sex? C'mon.

In all seriousness, I don't think we should legislate people's relationships whatsoever. Obviously there are exceptions (ie: when one person is unwillingly forced into something or something along those lines). But among consenting adults, there isn't much the law can do anyway.

I would personally never engage in incest, but that's my choice. If other people want to do that, it's really none of my business. I am continually perplexed at those who want to police the bedroom. If you follow it to its logical conslusion, it seems alarmingly close to some kind of Orwellian nightmare to me. What next? The Ministry of Love? The Federal Department of Flirting? The Courtship Council? Seriously, there are more important things that people should be worrying about. lol[/color][/font]

Well this is a constantly changing world. What was once shunned is looked at in a new light. Personally Im against doing it but we should remember that nothing ever stays the same-for example most women were not allowed to work until the early 20th century (only example that comes to my mind at the present time). Also, what if said cousins/halfbrother/sister e.t.c. didnt know they were related?

As I said Before im against doing it but im trying really hard to show both points of view.

Although I don't agree with it, I kind of agree with [B]James[/B] among consenting adults who are we to police what they do?

But among those unwilling or too young it definatly should be illegal. Just like it's illegal to have a sexual relationship with someone under a certain age. Being related shouldn't matter in that type of situation. So under that circumstance I think it should be illegal.

As for cousins, well can't say I find that all to appealing either. >.< I know depending on what level whether it's first, second or so on, it's legal to marry a cousin. But again, ewww! >.< I guess I should mention most of my cousins are nuts! So I can't imagine having a relationship like that with them. :animesigh

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]Please note that I am not trying to suggest that anyone should "agree" with incest. I personally don't have any interest in it at all.

However, if two people are in that kind of relationship, I don't think I have the right to be able to call the cops on them. You know?

I'm not even talking about marriage or legal rights or anything. Just relationships. Even if I don't like or disagree with what someone does in the bedroom (I'm sure there are plenty of sexual things that I wouldn't personally like, lol), I think it's wrong and extreme to make things like that illegal.

However, if we are talking about rape or pedophilia...then yes, it should be illegal. Why? Because in both cases you are talking about an unwilling participant. In those cases you are really talking about a violent crime, versus a consentual adult relationship. [/color][/font]

I fully agree with James on this one, I don't really care whether people do it or not. However, I do believe its unfair to the children they will have, if they decide to. As stated above the chances are great for the child to have several different birth defects and/or diseases from the combination of homozygous chromosomes (incest).

However, if I did know of someone acting in asn incestual relationship, I wouldn't call the cops on them or expect anyone else to do so. Its your freedom, to be with who you want, and much worse things happen everyday. So its probably better to focus on things like abusive relationships and such rather then an incestual relationship.

You know why all incest should be illegal?

Brother Jack and Sister Jill go and have themselves one hell of a hot **** in the family bathroom, but Brother John decides to leave the TrojanMan out of that relationship, and Sister Jill becomes two people instead of one.

Neither believes in abortion, so the baby is carried to term. This of all this:

To Dad John, the child is a grandchild, same with Mom Janine. This isn't complicated, but think of it from Jill perspective: neice and daughter.

Neice and daughter. That is ****** up, no doubt.

Save a neice and a daugher, don't boink your sister...

i am pretty sure some incest is illegal. if they are under age then it is molestation. That is what uisually comes to mind when one mentions incest. They think of fathers and daughters and stuff like that.

Not to preach or anything but its God's will that stuff like that not go on. Anybody i know who has gone against god in this way has had a lot of trouble. It just isn't meant to happen. That's my opinion.

Personally though i may look down upon it, i have no right to judge.

[QUOTE=AzureWolf][COLOR=blue]Everyone has a different definition of incest. When it comes down to your immediate family, there's no doubt that it should be illegal. Even on a genetic/scientific level, one can consider it forbidden. However, things get a little sticky when you get to cousins and the extended family.

I don't really approve of the marrying your cousin thing, but there's technically nothing wrong with it. It's a hard case, simply because there's no clear, flat-out deleterious problem. Also, it does depend on how close (genetically) they are to you. In fact, isn't that all it comes down to? O_o

Maybe it's circumstantial? I imagine that if you didn't grow up with them, they'd be more attractive or something. *shrugs*[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]I kind of agree with AzureWolf's explanation. It all depends on the situation and how you guys are related and what not. I know for one would never marry my brother, that is disgusting. The only way I could see that happening is if I met him and never knew he was my brother sort of thing (Hint: Check out Marmalade Boy) that's a whole different story. I honestly don't think its right and yes to a certain extent it should be [b]illegal[/b] because your babies come out with mental disabilities and its pretty much putting them in the situation of leading a difficult life. Why would you want that for your child especially since its almost guaranteed to happen? I also don't think its right to marry someone who was close to you in that way and shares your same blood. It's just wrong to me and I can't help feeling that way. That is how I see it. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Okay, maybe incest shouldn't be illegal, like James said, who are we to police peoples bedrooms, however I do believe that it should be actively discouraged.

This isn't just because I find it disturbing mind you ( 'cause I do) it can also be very degridational to society on a whole. I mean island populations can become rife with mental and physical problems due to inbreeding. Genes become 'watered down' if you will and the pool becomes stagnant. This is why people who own domesticated animals, particularly farmers, try to get fresh blood into their cycle whenever possible, to prevent the production of 'retards' as Gentle so gently put it (no pun intended).

You don't want more mentally or physically disabled people in society. To attempt to increase such a level is just foolishness. I seriously doubt you would like some kind of disability because of your continuously recycled genes. Its not bigotted or racist, its common sense.

Eventually we're going to have to get some fresh genes from outside earth, because even in a confined breeding environment as big as earth we will still become degraded. It'll take millions and millions of years (assuming the human race survives that long) but we will need to do it. This is what evolution is about people ^_~[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#FF5646][SIZE=1]^ Or we could always mess around with genes and create GATTACA Valids. [i]Oh yes, more Jude Laws, please.[/i]

Yes, "incest" sounds really kinky, doesn't it? With the "ssss" sounds and all. Very serpent of Eden-ish. But don't we humans have some sort of mechanism for sniffing up potential matig partners? Just so happened that you like your cousin's genes. Whether you beget a healthy child or one that is horribly deformed depends on you and your partner's luck (with the exception of certain unpreventable defects, of course).

Shouldn't be made illegal, though. The government can't set limits on relationships between individuals. Just think: lawmakers in pointless debates, wasted tax money, cramped prison cells.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]Maybe there is a sense of draconian authority present in the idea of outlawing incest. And the fact is, how far [B]can[/B] they push the law?

But on the other side, knowingly having sex with a direct family member should be illegal. You are openly taking the risk that in the slight chance there is a child produced, it will be deformed or psychologically damaged. How is this better than beating up someone and leaving them in a wheelchair? In any situation where a person can knowingly, and without valid excuse, endanger the life or quality of life of another person, an offence is taking place. I believe it should be illegal, even if it appears to be overstepping what many would consider the 'boundaries' of the law.[/size]

Isn't....incest illegal already? I'm pretty sure it is here...If not then it's called sexual abuse. It's already illegal for obvious reasons, and should indefinetly stay that way...There's no need to put thought into it...the act is just plain wrong.

Try reading Children in the Attic. That's a disturbing book....I think they actually made a movie or two as well.

[COLOR=Indigo]It should be illegal, whether or not it's the immediate family, or distant relatives. But it also shouldn't. Why?

Adam and Eve. I'm not religious, but I read the bible. Eve was made from Adam. They bore children, and they bore children. If any of this is true at all, then aren't we all byproducts of incest?

On a scientific standpoint, we were also byproducts of incest.

If so, then we are all commiting incest when having sex with ANYONE.

So, if we use this technicality, then having sex would be illegal.

So, yes in normal terms, no in technical.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Thats how retards are made.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Well, my friend has a point. I mean, should this really be a discussion? This is like a crime against humanity.

When same genes intemix, it forms deformed children. Thus, a reason incest should be illegal. It isn't right.

-the one and only [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Havokio][COLOR=Indigo]It should be illegal, whether or not it's the immediate family, or distant relatives. But it also shouldn't. Why?

Adam and Eve. I'm not religious, but I read the bible. Eve was made from Adam. They bore children, and they bore children. If any of this is true at all, then aren't we all byproducts of incest?

On a scientific standpoint, we were also byproducts of incest.

If so, then we are all commiting incest when having sex with ANYONE.

So, if we use this technicality, then having sex would be illegal.

So, yes in normal terms, no in technical.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

]That's obvious isn't it? Why else would the world be so messed up right now? We're all retards.

James...I see your point but....It's too hard to tell if someone is a willing participant or not. maybe some cases it's clear as day but manipulation and suduction are two very powerful tools that make people appear to consent to the act. They've made it Illegal even if you consent as a way of covering the bases and catching people from attempting to escape through loop holes. Now I mean with the direct family...if you're talking about like a distand cousin or even a 4th then...hell its not right for us.

[QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=#FF5646][SIZE=1]^ Or we could always mess around with genes and create GATTACA Valids. [i]Oh yes, more Jude Laws, please.[/i]

Yes, "incest" sounds really kinky, doesn't it? With the "ssss" sounds and all. Very serpent of Eden-ish. But don't we humans have some sort of mechanism for sniffing up potential matig partners? Just so happened that you like your cousin's genes. Whether you beget a healthy child or one that is horribly deformed depends on you and your partner's luck (with the exception of certain unpreventable defects, of course).

Shouldn't be made illegal, though. The government can't set limits on relationships between individuals. Just think: lawmakers in pointless debates, wasted tax money, cramped prison cells.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Mmm. Gattaca was a good movie with Jude Law. We got to watch it in school after reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. XD

If we could genetically engineer our children, I guess incest wouldn't be a problem, because you could eliminate the bad genes or whatever. But right now, I do think it should be illegal. See Baron's post because I agree with him. ^_^

[size=1]P.S.: Delta, I looove your sig. I bet you're an xxxholic fan. Yuuko's the best! ^_^[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

In terms of Incest where both individuals know that they are related to one another then of course it should be illegal. I suppose my main objection would be on the medical grounds due to the obvious dangers of pregnancy and subsequent childbirth, but on another level of sheer revulsion that someone was knowingly engaging in sexual acts with members of their family.

If the two people didn't know one another then I don't really think there's any law can be passed against it, they don't know so how could we know ? If the couple went on to get married and found out that they were related then I would be against the marriage for my main reason.

I guess it would also depend on how closely related the two people were, if they were like 5th or 6th cousins then the medical objections are lessened significantly. In such a case then I'm not really sure if it would be called incest, as there's only a small blood relation between the two people, at 5th or 6th cousins you're talking about your great-great-grandfather's [for instance] being related. At that stage I guess it would be simply down to their feelings on the subject. [/SIZE]
[quote name='O-tako-sama][CENTER][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Only if you're part of the royal family.[/SIZE][/COLOR'][/CENTER][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Well actually most of Europe's royal families are related to one another, in World War One for instance, the German Kaiser and Russian Tsar were grandchildren or grandnephews of the Queen of England [Who's family is in fact German in descent]. [/SIZE]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1][QUOTE=Gavin]
[SIZE=1]Well actually most of Europe's royal families are related to one another, in World War One for instance, the German Kaiser and Russian Tsar were grandchildren or grandnephews of the Queen of England [Who's family is in fact German in descent]. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Yeah they were King George's cousins and if you look at Pictures of our Monarch and Tsar Nikolas the similarity is remarkable, as if they were twins not cousins. I also believe that the affliction the Tsar's son suffered from was linked to genetic weakening due to inbreeding (of course this could just be sensationalism)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=doukeshi03][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]

Yeah they were King George's cousins and if you look at Pictures of our Monarch and Tsar Nikolas the similarity is remarkable, as if they were twins not cousins. I also believe that the affliction the Tsar's son suffered from was linked to genetic weakening due to inbreeding (of course this could just be sensationalism)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]Thats right. I believe that the last of the Tsars all suffered from Haemophilia, where your blood fails to clot. Even a small cut can lead to death. It's primarily caused through...interbreeding, lol.[/SIZE]