OtakuBoards

Game Boy Micro

Purple Haze

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]At the revealing of the Revolution they showed a mini GBA.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[img]http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/article/615/615202/e3-2005-hands-on-game-boy-micro-20050517002425445.jpg[/img]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Purple]It is ony 4 inches wide, 2 inches long and LESS than 1 inch thick.They took it back to the longer wider form of the original GBA, which is good because my hads were cramped as hell while trying to play a SP. The screen is suppossedl supposed;y to be brighter than the SP as well. No word on if it will have the rechargable battery pack or if you ill have to have to put in batteries. The release date is scheduled for fall 2005. I might buy it depending on the price because i'm ot gonna shell out $150 for a smaller GBA when I can buy a DS which is the exact same price. [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

I was skeptical for a second, but then I realized something. With such a compact size and with technology as being at the DS level right now, I can't help but think, this thing is gunna be cheap. If this thing stars out at 60 or 50 bucks, everyone who doesn't have a GBA will, and I will have my third. If its 70 or over, it won't sell, but I have a feeling this will work in Nintendo's favor.

[color=#4B0082]Well, I can't really say I'm excited about this, considering I already own a GBA, GBA SP, and DS. So I won't be buying one of these myself.

Another reason, though, is that the only advantage I see the Micro model having over the SP is the headphone jack. (I'm assuming that's a headphone jack on the right side of the cartridge slot, anyway. Looks like it.) Really, I can't image ever having enough room for this, yet not having room for an SP. And I doubt it'll be anywhere near as comfortable to play as an SP, unless your hands are way, way tiny.

If these Micro models are a good bit cheaper than the SP is, however, I can see a good use for them: Inexpensive GBAs for use with GCN games like FF: Crystal Chronicles and Zelda: Four Swords Adventures. It would be a lot easier to justify spending $40 or $50 on a Micro, than it would be to drop $80 for an SP.

I wonder, though, with the reduced size of the system, if the screen is the same size as the GBA/SP's. Anyone heard whether the screen size has been changed?[/color]

[color=#737373]I think this thing is primarily aimed at people who don't yet own a Game Boy. Obviously some hardcore Nintendo fans will buy it, but Nintendo isn't going after them with this unit.

I think it's a pretty cool idea, especially if the price is low. Might be a good way to attract people who still down't own a Game Boy, especially more women.[/color]

[quote name='James][color=#737373']Might be a good way to attract people who still down't own a Game Boy, especially more women.[/color][/quote]
So, basically...

[center][b][size=3]Game Boy Micro:[/size]
[/b][i]Strong enough for a man, but made for a purse.[/i]
[left]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
[/left]
[/center]

There apparently was confusion on some things.

1.) It uses a rechargable battery like DS and SP.
2.) That is a headphone jack.
3.) The screen is smaller according to everything I've read. However, saying "quite a bit" seems to be an exaggeration.

I'm wondering if people just [i]think[/i] it's much, much smaller because the screen no longer has that thick border around it like on the GBA/SP.

It's obviously not meant to appeal strictly to existing users. Nintendo doesn't need to sell GBAs to the same people four times, they want to sell them to new groups who wouldn't necessarily have bought one before because of the dorky "I'm playing a game!" image that even the SP gave off.

I see this appealing more to hipsters than women.

Anyway, Kaplan recently said in an interview that they plan to launch it this Summer or Fall.

Reggie Fils-Aim took GBM and compared it to an ipod mini, saying it was around a half-inch bigger. I trace an IPM and drew an approximate scale GBM, then traced a GBA. The Micro was around 3/4ths of an inch smaller per side. The screen, according to REggie, is smaller, but it is the the brightest screen ever. If its 50 bucks or less, I will buy it, despite having a GBA and an SP and my brother has a DS. I know some gamers who don't have the GBM who said they'd happily buy it if its under 60 bucks.

These pics from Gizmodo are the best ones yet to determine the size, I think. I've seen pics of people holding it on IGN, but the position of his hand made it very hard to judge.

[URL=http://img262.echo.cx/my.php?image=gbamicrohandson26eh.jpg][IMG]http://img262.echo.cx/img262/2871/gbamicrohandson26eh.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://img262.echo.cx/my.php?image=gbamicrohandson8zd.jpg][IMG]http://img262.echo.cx/img262/8051/gbamicrohandson8zd.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]I want to get my hand on one of these to really determine the size of it myself, but by the looks of it is just a little smaller than my cell phone. But I'm glad that they made changable face plates becuse when ever I get a system or console they chage the design or color right after I get mine. The biggest question to me so far is gonna be the price of it. If it's under $60 I might just trade in my SP and GBA to get one, but then again I don't play my SP much and I could trade them in for a new PSP.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

You know. I doubt this is the Gameboy they were talking about that was supposedly supposed to beat the PSP. I mean. GBA currently inferior to the PSP and by making this it's obvious that all they want to do is fill in the gaps that were either lost by the PSP or get those who didn't buy the original GBA or the SP to buy something cheap.
Again remember how Nintendo released a smaller version of the original gameboy called gameboy pocket before releasing the Gameboy Color. This could be the same situation.
This has no chance in beating the PSP which is Nintendo's aim. It's a marketing scheme created to generate profit for the following Gameboy. I won't be dishing out $50 for this primarily becuase SP is working perfectly for me and has a wider screen.
In my opinion it's worth the money to those who don't own a GBA system but not for those veteran GBA players.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I don't think that Nintendo is trying to out do Sony's PSP with a [I]second[/I] GBA remake. That's just silly, you couldn't possibly expect someone to get it over PSP. Although, i don't realy understand why they are making it in the first place, because you can already get a GBA for real cheap these days, and DS is backwards compatable with GBA titles, so for someone looking for a new handheld, either DS or PSP is the obvious choice.

I never droped extra money on an SP, and certainly wont for this. I'm fine with my original GBA, besides i rarely play gameboy games anymore (or any games for that matter, i've just had a falling out, with some exceptions).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]IMHO, this is a pretty good idea. Since when was it easy to play Dawn Of Souls in Boscov's? I mean, C'mon. I'd love to have a much smaller GBA on-hand, so instead of quickly flipping out the light, and snapping the lid shut on the SP, I can stick the GBAM in my shirt pocket that much faster when a department manager walks past. kudos to nintendo. :animesmil [/FONT] [/COLOR]

Okay.... I read an article on it which said that its 4" by 2" and the screen is only 2" long. This causes minor problems with the text, but doesn't effect the action. Satoru Iwata said something to the effect of, "The GBM is meant for people who dont have a GBA or SP and want one. It is also for the image consience gamer, with its removable cover and custom skins. If you already own a GBASP, there is not much reason to buy this." And I probably wont. Also, it only plays GBA games, no GB.