OtakuBoards

OB got n00bed

Rhym

[COLOR=Olive][SIZE=1]*claps for Baron* bravo my friend

This is the distinction of n00bs that Baron mentioned earlier. At one time or another, everyone is new to something. And everyone posting in this thread was once new to this forum. Just because your new, does not mean your stupid, or unknowledgable at the topics of the forum, it just simply means your new. And personally, I think we should be much more accepting to the new people of the forum. They'll make mistakes and such, but not one person here can say they havn't made mistakes concerning this forum. So, ChemAngel, for example, should be applauded for posting her POV on the situation when she, not inparticular, was the subject of this topic.

When I say n00bs, I mean it just as Baron does. People who are new, but don't really care to assimilate to the ways of the forum. They spam, post unknowledgable posts, argue and discount others opinions and advice on to become a better forum occupant. I think most of the people in this forum open newcomers with open arms, and its kind of a smack in the face when someone just ignores the rules and posts however they choose. The things I've mentioned, are just my opinion however. I can't speak for everyone when I say these things, but I do appreciate all the comments and thoughts on the new people to the forum. Hopefully they'll be useful.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[COLOR=teal][SIZE=1][FONT=arial]Well, this was the first forum I had ever joined. 0_o; and the only one since. Wow, that is a weird thought...I joined September 30, 2002. I always remember when I joined because I used to calculate it from the time Piro married Queen Asuka?eight months and twenty four days. (Weird how my mind works) I even remember when Baron joined.
I would have to agree with Baron, I would have thought that the distinction is quite clear between a newbie and a n00b.
Anyway, now that I've established that I have been here long enough (3 years) to watch many waves of newbies and n00bs alike, I would like to state that the Otakuboards has in my opinion grown a lot. The posting quality especially, has been moved up a few notches in the past few years. Kudos to the brave moderators! And also many of the RPGs in the Adventure Forum do have very good plots and are very interesting, it is just that they don't last very long. I agree that it is very hard to find a RPG that you think will last beyond two pages even one sometimes. I think that it has become a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. "I'll join this one, although it probably won't last a week..." With that kind of thinking from the start it is a wonder they even get started. Though I must admit that I too have done that, but it is something I am working on. Positive thinking, that is what the Adventure Forum needs, not to mention a few good examples of what real RPGing is.

All in all the OB has not been attacked with a overflowing and never-ending wave of n00bs, in fact it is just the opposite, the amount of n00bs on here has slowly diminished over the three years I have been on here.
Ahem. Now that I have thrown in my 2 cents, I'll shut up.^_^;[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']In regards to the 'class' issue, the internet is all about separation and finding your own niche. Look at the principles behind clans and guilds. Look at the separation between different forums. Look at each group of poeple, as they have made themselves. n00bs are a whole diferent breed to Newbs, and if you cannot make that kind of distinction, then you end up spending 2 pages of thread defining them.[/size][/quote]

[quote name='Umbra II']While I agree with you on the fact that we all start out new, and that newer peolple are the life blood of this website, the problem, as stated in the previous pages, lies not with newbies, but "n00bs" which, I believe, has now been defined as a seperated class, so to speak. I say "so to speak" because that, although I can't find a better word for it, I don't like the idea of making "classes" over the internet[/quote]

I [I]DID[/I] say that they (n00bs) were different to newbies. Please do not mistake my reluctance to use a word as a denial of the difference between newbies and n00bs. THe only other word I could think of at the time was "breed", and if you know why I don't want to use the word "class", then you can certianly see I I would not choose "breed".
But its all moot now, for I've found a better word. Form. n00bs are a different form of newbies, and sometimes not even newbies but semi-senior members.

By the way, I stated in a previous post that I thought perhaps I was an anomoly in regards to me being new, because if the fact that I seem to type better and am more in depth than the average newer person. Either that, or I was delusional. Don't leave me in the dark here. (Hmm? Umbra in the dark? without realising it, I've made a joke, which is the first ever on the otaku boards.)[I]Umbra[/I]

[size=1]Yeah, I know that you said that newbies and n00bs were different. I was merely illustrating that the internet [b]is[/b] about classes, and so is much of life. Some form of categorisation and separation is inevitable at any point where people can make a choice about where to go, or what to do.

n00b is a mindset, not much related to the length of time you've been somewhere. Generally though, n00bs are new, which is how the word came about I guess. It's not that they're spammers as such, but they [b]are[/b] spammy. There is a difference, in principle.

Anomaly? Sorry, but probably not, heh. Less common though? Yeah, I'd call it that. As being a n00b is a mindset, Newbie is a sort of mindset as well. It's more like a situation where you can look at someone and say "Hey, they're new" or "Geez, what a n00b". There are plenty of intelligent and mature people who come to the boards, and are like that right off the bat. It is more common for people to 'grow' to that level though, particularly due to the age-group an anime board attracts, and the different expectations placed upon members by OB.[/size]

[quote name='Patronus']OB has definitely been n00bed, but there's nothing we can do about it. All good things are n00bed in time.[/quote][size=1]
Oh, yeah. That would presumably explain why there is only one locked thread on the first page of the Lounge, one in Music Movies and TV, three [omg] in the Art Studio, only [b]one[/b] in this tehpwnzriated Arena of ours, two in Play It, [b]none[/b] in Mac/PC, and three in the Anime Lounge.

Geez, we are totally being overrun by n00bs, hey? Totally.

Right? I mean, I haven't seen any 13375P34K for a while...but, surely Patronus is right. I mean, it's a deluge of n00bs, right?

Right?[/size]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]
Right? I mean, I haven't seen any 13375P34K for a while...but, surely Patronus is right. I mean, it's a deluge of n00bs, right?

Right?[/size][/QUOTE]
|)|_||)3, 100 P3|^(3|\|7[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

It does surprise me a bit that anyone would create those "I'm new, how are you?" ect. threads. Do the rules need to have an addition, stating that threads of these nature are not allowed in the otaku boards? Truthfuly, I never learned that creating a thread like that was wrong when I read the rules. It was when I observed some one creating a thread like that, then, minutes later, a moderator shut it down. I just read the rules, and, although one can assume it from reading the restrictions, I didn't find a spot that directly states that threads of that nature are prohibited. That may mean that, even if some one who just joined read the rules, they might not know that it's wrong. Maybe there should be prohibitation specificly for that.
This thread really [I]has[/I] deviated from its origanal purpose. I wonder wha'ts to become of it?

Guest Kaise
I stopped coming here after a while. I visited in october last year last time.

I hardly recognize anybody. N00bed it has been.

[QUOTE=Kaise]I stopped coming here after a while. I visited in october last year last time.

I hardly recognize anybody. N00bed it has been.[/QUOTE]

[color=#737373]That makes no sense. You only recognize nobody because you last came in October of last year, several months ago. That's the reason why you don't recognize people - not because of new members.

In any case, if we had no new members since October last year, I'd certainly be more worried about that. lol[/color]

Guest Kaise
[QUOTE=James][color=#737373]That makes no sense. You only recognize nobody because you last came in October of last year, several months ago. That's the reason why you don't recognize people - not because of new members.

In any case, if we had no new members since October last year, I'd certainly be more worried about that. lol[/color][/QUOTE]

I mean NO ONE familiar. Not one person. I had to actually go and LOOK for the people who were once my friends. I haven't seen a familiar face here since...ever.

[quote name='Kaise']I mean NO ONE familiar. Not one person. I had to actually go and LOOK for the people who were once my friends. I haven't seen a familiar face here since...ever.[/quote]

[color=#737373]So? I don't know how many people you knew around here, but you are still listed as a New Member. So you must not have posted terribly often. I've been here for years, but I only barely recognize your username.

Many of the people I knew here have now moved on. But you know what I did? I actually got to know the newer people. Some people at OtakuBoards who are now considered more popular members are people who have been here for a relatively short time. I mean, our Administrator has only been here a short while. And I still remember Shinmaru's old username like it was yesterday. ~_^

In some respects, even those members are "newbies" to me (relatively speaking). But I don't have any problem with that. We were all new once and without new members, the site would never grow or change.

Besides, I like getting to know new people. If you want familiar faces on OB, you have to actually take the time to post and get to know people. That's all it comes down to.[/color]

Guest Kaise
[QUOTE=James][color=#737373]So? I don't know how many people you knew around here, but you are still listed as a New Member. So you must not have posted terribly often. I've been here for years, but I only barely recognize your username.

Many of the people I knew here have now moved on. But you know what I did? I actually got to know the newer people. Some people at OtakuBoards who are now considered more popular members are people who have been here for a relatively short time. I mean, our Administrator has only been here a short while. And I still remember Shinmaru's old username like it was yesterday. ~_^

In some respects, even those members are "newbies" to me (relatively speaking). But I don't have any problem with that. We were all new once and without new members, the site would never grow or change.

Besides, I like getting to know new people. If you want familiar faces on OB, you have to actually take the time to post and get to know people. That's all it comes down to.[/color][/QUOTE]

I know, that's what i'm trying to do.

I guess it's like Lunar to Lunar 2: only 2 returning characters. Only minus the millennium in between. :)

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Well, I do think that, while not all the n00bs are bad, a lot of them just don't look at how you're supposed to post. I mean, it's like I was the only one who actually read the stickies about how to post in the adventure square and in the inn. Oh, yeah, and then there's the introduction threads...*cold shiver*. Then again, we all went through those phases, when we were still learning the ropes of OB (conversely, I'm not entirely sure I understand them completely, even now...) I think that if someone starts off well enough, then they'll be a contributor to the site and they'll be accepted. If they keep spamming threads, making stupid, pointless comments and are generally just a pain in the ***, which doesn't tend to happen often, then those are the ones who generally end up getting banned.

So, on that note, I haven't noticed many bannings in recent OB history, so...I'm not exactly sure that the whole thing's gotten n00bified. Now, on a related note,I'm not sure who put this quote on the site, and I'm not sure which thread it was in, and I'm not exactly certain that it's been used already in the thread and I just didn't notice, but it's one of my favorite quotes, and it goes a little something a like-a-this-a (Note: this isn't the exact quote.) [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Most of the spammy, stupid newbies are weeded out within a few posts, so only the dedicated, serious members generally remain on the site.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]
[COLOR=SlateGray]This whole noobification thing has happened before and it'll happen again. Will most of them stay on the site? Well, probably not, they'll get bored and move on, but will we still have to bear with them for the short amount of time that they're here? Well, sure, but OB is a changing and evolving place, the ebb and flow of successful RPGs in the inn varies as often as the seasons, and with the fall of the influx of n00bs we'll have to bite the bullet and realize that there will always be noobs and there will always be spammy posts and there will always be introduction threads. I apologize for being Grandiose. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Beorhun][COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Well, I do think that, while not all the n00bs are bad, a lot of them just don't look at how you're supposed to post. I mean, it's like I was the only one who actually read the stickies about how to post in the adventure square and in the inn. Oh, yeah, and then there's the introduction threads...*cold shiver*. Then again, we all went through those phases, when we were still learning the ropes of OB (conversely, I'm not entirely sure I understand them completely, even now...) I think that if someone starts off well enough, then they'll be a contributor to the site and they'll be accepted. If they keep spamming threads, making stupid, pointless comments and are generally just a pain in the ***, which doesn't tend to happen often, then those are the ones who generally end up getting banned.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I agree that not all n00bs are bad. Not to be mean to other sites, but until I came here other sites were not only full of spamming and other stuff, but a lot of them didn't even have any threads posted on how you are suspose to post. I was so surprised that there was even a thread on how to post that naturally I just had to read it as I had never seen any guideline on posting before.

I'm betting that a lot of the n00bs, so to speak, don't even think to read the thread on posting. I mean if they visited sites I've been to, such a thing didn't even exist. I think the threads on how to post are awesome, espically the tip on how to post spoilers so you don't have to read it unless you want to. It lets you discuss stuff without ruining it for others. I never saw any spoiler tags at other sites either.

I'm sure there will always be those who just won't even try to improve their posting, and I'm equally sure there will be many like me who wished they had found this place sooner. Untill I found OtakuBoards, I thought online forums were a joke. Now I know better. :animesmil

[quote name='Beorhun']Well, I do think that, while not all the n00bs are bad, a lot of them just don't look at how you're supposed to post[/quote]
[quote name='SunfallE']I agree that not all n00bs are bad.[/quote]
[quote name='Baron Samedi']Yeah, I know that you said that newbies and n00bs were different.[/quote]
[quote name='Umbra II'] (n00bs) were different to newbies.[/quote]
[quote name='Kamuro'] When I say n00bs, I mean it just as Baron does. People who are new, but don't really care to assimilate to the ways of the forum. They spam, post unknowledgable posts, argue and discount others opinions and advice on to become a better forum occupant.[/quote]

I don't know were you two have been, but it sounds to me like you're talking abouts newbies, not n00bs. As defined before, n00bs are the sum of everything not to do in a forum, and how long they've been on doesn't affect it(though it is true that n00bs here get banned fast) where as newbies are new people, their skills at grammer and decency irrelevant. Don't confuse the two.

[quote name='Umbra II']I don't know were you two have been, but it sounds to me like you're talking abouts newbies, not n00bs. As defined before, n00bs are the sum of everything not to do in a forum, and how long they've been on doesn't affect it(though it is true that n00bs here get banned fast) where as newbies are new people, their skills at grammer and decency irrelevant. Don't confuse the two.[/quote]

Perhaps a better way to put it would be to say some newbies are being mistaken for n00bs. ^_~ When in fact they are, as you say, simply newbies. ^_^ Even though it's says I'm a member, I've only been here three months. So in many ways I feel like I'm still a newbie. Perhaps that's why I didn't clarify what I was trying to say clearly enough. Since until OtakuBoards I had never heard the term n00bs. On other sites people like that have been reffered to as spammers. I believe I understand what you are getting at. As there is a huge difference between the two.

[quote name='SunfallE']Perhaps a better way to put it would be to say some newbies are being mistaken for n00bs. ^_~ When in fact they are, as you say, simply newbies. ^_^ Even though it's says I'm a member, I've only been here three months. So in many ways I feel like I'm still a newbie. Perhaps that's why I didn't clarify what I was trying to say clearly enough. Since until OtakuBoards I had never heard the term n00bs. On other sites people like that have been reffered to as spammers. I believe I understand what you are getting at. As there is a huge difference between the two.[/quote]
SunfallE is right, there is a big difference between nOObs and newbies. A newbie is someone that is new to a site, someone still learning how to get around. A nOOb is someone who just has no clue what they're doing because they didn't read the site's guidelines. (That or they just don't care)

[quote name='Umbra II']I don't know were you two have been, but it sounds to me like you're talking abouts newbies, not n00bs. As defined before, n00bs are the sum of everything not to do in a forum, and how long they've been on doesn't affect it(though it is true that n00bs here get banned fast) where as newbies are new people, their skills at grammer and decency irrelevant. Don't confuse the two.[/quote]

[COLOR=Olive][SIZE=1]who were you talking to, cause you said "you two" after listing 5 quotes lol *confused* anyway, all we were trying to do was explain the difference between n00bs and newbies, since they are apparently vast and completely different, as I said before, we've all been newbies one time or another, so sometimes its better just to let it go[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Wow...

I've been gone for a long time (My computer completely died on me, wouldn't even turn on, and now I finally have the internet back...so I'm back now! XD), and I don't know much about the problem. But I do have something to say about the whole newbie matter in general.

I'm not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, because I don't like it when people do it to me. But have you stopped to seriously think about the fact that we were *all* newbies at some point or another? You were not born with elite roleplaying abilities, I'm sure. And for a long time, I myself sucked. In some opinions I still do, and that's fine. There's always room for improvement. But the whole 'Oh, look, a n00b, how vile' attitude isn't really going to help the problem.

I admit that yes, sub-par writing in an RPG is annoying. But you have to start [I]somewhere[/I] , people. If anything, you might try PMing this person and offering to help them learn to write better posts? Give them a few pointers? If I, personally, had the opportunity to meet someone like that when I first started, I would have jumped at the chance. But seriously.

I think the fact that there are newbies in the RPGs may be a good thing. It means that more people are interestied in roleplay.

[size=1]For myself, n00bs have never really been an issue to me. True, alot of n00bs arn't the greatest role players around, but if you notice most of the rpgs that arn't very good are occupied with n00bs. If dn't want to be in an rpg with n00bs then don't sign-up for an rpg that a n00b created (If the story line sounds cool, but the sign-up is crappy and the spelling is really bad).
Also, most of the rpgs I join only allow a certain number of people to join in. If the head of the rpg doesn't want their rpg n00b-i-fied then they won't choose that person to go into the actual rpg.

I don't really have a problem with spelling errors (unless it's like Kewl, sk8, and stuff like that) because alot of people on the board who are considered members are still kind of young and havn't gone through all those high school english classes. I myself just got promoted from the 8th grade and i've never seen myself as a good speller. Plus, the person may have just made a typo.

Over all, I don't mind n00bs that much. If I don't want to be around them, I just stay away until they have become mature members and depend on our moderators to close any of their scary threads! yay! ^_^

I just came back to the boards like 4 days ago, so I can't really tell if the n00bs are taking over or what ever.[/size]

[quote name='James][color=#737373'] And I still remember Shinmaru's old username like it was yesterday. ~_^[/color][/quote]

Nobody will ever let it die. :(

It's almost been two years since I rid myself of that accursed name. I should probably make that into an event: 'August (whenever): Shinmaru wised up and got a good username!'

Anyway, I think that the fact that people are getting a bit exasperated over the difference between n00bs and newbies is amusing. So many things are of the most vital importance on the Internet. :rolleyes: