OtakuBoards

OB got n00bed

Rhym

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1]Corey speaks the truth!

All they need is a li'l lovin' and understandin', yeah? I've seen my share of n00bs who eventually grew out of the label and are now leading normal, happy lives. Guidance, tolerance and a good banner/avi set is what I'd recommend. (And really, the last thing n00bs need are 733ts reminiscing like old geezers.)

Let's set a good example, shall we?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Charles']Of course, the irony in all this is that new members are being spun in a negative light. They're being portrayed here as if they're detrimental to the condition of the forums when, in reality, new members are what keep the site lively and functional. If the post quality is lacking in RPGs, then you can't just blame the new membership. I've seen wonderful new members that completely put some mediocre veteran ones to shame. In any case, the message here is that the success of a forum lies in team effort. New members keep forums going and generate fresh activity while older members are supposed to be there to set a standard. A novel concept, huh? So, do that. It's not as if you don't have the means to create your own RPG where you control the quality through sign-ups.[/quote]

Quoted for truth.

Not everyone is going to write some award winning novella. The best counteraction to poor posting is simply just to post well yourself, I think. If that person is really that terrible, they'll be talked to or removed from the site by the mods anyway.

People need time to get used to the functions of this place. Many forums don't require the same levels of certain things that OB does. I think it's unfair to expect each and every new person to automatically and instantly be among the best members here. Most people who would complain loudest weren't exactly hot **** when they started here either.

I havn't been in the boards all that long but I think that the post quality is pretty good. You can't mention 2-3 RP's out of the tons that have been introduced and generalize that they're all n00bish. I do, however, believe that people should read the rules before posting, not just at the square, but anywhere. How can you post adequately without even knowing the rules and regulations of the forum your posting in?

ok, I have been reading what has gone before and I'm a bit confused.

Please define n00b. is it merely someone who has not been here for a long time, or is it someone with poor grasp of the english language and philosophy.

Some might say that these two are symbiotic, but if this is true, then are we tarring evryone with the same brush?

please enlighten me.

I tried every variation of the word 'n00b' that I could in dictionary.com, but no luck. The word simply doesn't exist. Funny how people who are stressing correct language and grammar don't use it themselves. I'll define "n00b" in my own terms.

[b]n00b:[/b] Someone who is new.

Describes satan right there. Lets cross ourselves.

[QUOTE=Lacuna Coil]I tried every variation of the word 'n00b' that I could in dictionary.com, but no luck. The word simply doesn't exist. Funny how people who are stressing correct language and grammar don't use it themselves. I'll define "n00b" in my own terms.

[b]n00b:[/b] Someone who is new.

Describes satan right there. Lets cross ourselves.[/QUOTE]
ok so you say the definition of n00b is someone who is new?

one question still sticks out in my mind: just exactly how long do you have to be here before you are no longer considered a n00b? or does it depend on post count/post quality?

[SIZE=1]A [B]n00b[/B] is a new member (or old, in some cases if they haven't been banned) who uses language like this: Liek OMFG!!!! Inuyasha is teh rox0rzzzzz :catgirl: :catgirl: :catgirl: :catgirl: :catgirl: :animesmil :animesmil :animesmil :animesmil Inuyahsa is sexy!!! :animenose :animenose :animenose :animeblus

See?

A new member is just that, a new member who, while they may get a little lost as we all do in new environments, has readable posts, uses proper spelling and grammar to the best of their ability and doesn?t just spam up threads with talk of anime or other more pointless things.

Didn't someone already go over this?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Well, like everyone else has said,
[b]n00b[/b] = New person, whose posting quality is terrible, doesn't follow the rules, and/or uses excessive smilies.
[b]Newbie[/b] = New person, whose posting quality is just as good as regular members, and may slip up every now and then.

Now, I [i]do[/i] believe that the quality in the Arena is somewhat lacking, and while it may be better than what it used to be, there is still room for major improvement. I'm longing for quality RPGs that stick around a little longer than a few pages. We need some of those... **shifty eyes**[/SIZE]

Newbies are your future, bud. They are your next generation. if you don't like they are up to par with what you would like to see on the forums, [b]encourage[/b] them to be better. No one can take initiative to improve anything without first having [i]courage[/i] and being [i]encouraged[/i].

I joined OtakuBoards several years ago ... back before it was even its own web address and not some subfolder off theOtaku. So I have seen more than my share of "n00bs," myself included. But you know what? Those "n00bs," as you like to affectionately dub them, became your moderators, became your super moderators (now known as "team leaders" or whatever it is), etc. Myself included (not anymore, though).

OtakuBoards seems to be growing faster and faster, generations of members seem to not be lasting as long compared to a the past. Even though OtakuBoards is still a relatively small community, changes are always happening. If you don't like them, try to improve them. Don't just sit there and complain about it.

I [i]really[/i] hate the word "n00b," haha. Honestly, it just irks me to no end.

I must confess that I see no need to distinguish between so-called n00bs and other new members as though they're two entirely different species or something. I can't even say I understand why there's such an emphasis (and this applies to message boards in general, not just OB) on who's new and who's not.

That aside, I second what Piro & Charles said.

~Dagger~

[color=gray][size=1]Drop the subject! o_O; A newbie is a normal new person and a n00b is someone who just doesn't [i]seem[/i] to change (who keeps his bad grammar etc.). Yet, n00bs may change. Take me as an example, both James and SuperSaiyan/Chaos couldn't stand me XD (wait, Chaos still can't stand me probably and James... I dunno XP)

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']Now, I do believe that the quality in the Arena is somewhat lacking, and while it may be better than what it used to be, there is still room for major improvement. I'm longing for quality RPGs that stick around a little longer than a few pages. We need some of those...[/size][/quote]

I, for one, do not think the Arena has improved. It's different, but that doesn't mean it's better. Right now, people create and/or participate in at least two RPGs at a time. This may resolve into people quiting other RPGs because they want to spend more time in others, or the quality of the RPG (plotline) may drop.
Though I did see some nice RPGs around here, it's like Retribution said: The RPGs just don't keep people's attention long enough. Might be because [i]1.[/i] the people have other RPG's to work on, or [i]2.[/i] they just don't like the idea anymore. I think both of these things should be worked on.
If people lose interest, the plot is probably lacking or the RPers are not creative enough. [i]1.[/i] seems easy enough to solve though.

I must say though that the posting quality has risen a lot within these three years, I just wouldn't say the Arena improved that much.
[/color][/size]

While I have as much against the thoughtless spammer as the next fellow or lady, there's no reason to set out on a witch-hunt. Drinking the blood of n00bs doesn't grant you any of their crazy mutant virus powers, and giving them the beat-down is, at best, not among the most impressive things in the world.

Also, [b]you are lucky to be here.[/b] Ever seen Gaia Online? A place so overcome with spam no one has any real concept of what a n00b even is? Somewhere any one may begin cybering in the most innocuous of threads and [i]not be reprimanded[/i]? Somewhere a post over 50 words in length is considered the Great American Novel?
There are boards out there where the most elite of [i]mods[/i] would be instantly banned from these precious servers for sheer inability to punctuate or spell.

So calm down and revel in your superiority. If it weren't for them, we'd have nothing to prove us awesome.

Edit: Any one else feel a crappy teen movie coming on? "You Got n00bed!"

Hmm...
This argument has gone in a direction I had not expected. Now the very meaning of the word "n00b" has been called into question. Dagger, I think there is a call to distingiush between n00b and newbie. The definitions posted by others seems to fit the bill, so I'll go on that.
Also, I must correct myself. I stated before that I was reluctant to join because of the n00bs. But in reality, the quality was much better then other anime forums that I've visited that this seemed the premium choice.
There comes a time in any persons life to eat their words, and this must be mine.
One last thing before I go. Has no one considered the possibility o fnewbies who types well, like myself? Or am I just fooling myself? I try to do my best. But thats not the point. If there is a group of educated newbies, but its to small to stand for itself, I thik we should include them. If I'm simply an anomoly, or dillusiona, then go right ahead and ignore me.

Now I need to give an apology to Baron Samedi.
Like I've said, and what you can read, I have not been here to long, and I didn't know you were joking.

[size=1]Let the rivers run red and the mountains fall to their knees, [b]because there has already been definition of n00b presented.[/b]
[quote=Pumpkin]Newbies = New Person
N00bs = YAh I RuLe ThIs Place YER! LYKE OMG! U WILL BE PWNED!! XOXO[/quote]
Get over yourself Lacuna Coil. There is no comparison between someone whose soul contribution to a thread is "gO2 rOX yO!1! AaahAHA hEz kIKING!1!11" and someone who can post something related, sensible, intelligent and readable. "Funny how people who are..." blah blah blah. Grow up man. Using the term n00b is an acceptable use of language, because the word has it's own meaning. Of course it's not a real word, because no real words use zeros. Anyway, you weren't looking [u][url=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=n00b&r=f]in the right place[/url][/u].

And dude, stop trying to be a smartass. You don't know what you're talking about.[/size]

Think it's been getting better over the past two years I was gone. That's why I came back. I left because there was a point where there were so many N00B's (not newbs) around just causing a mess. I remember it being incredibly strict to the point where us "L337 HaXoRs" were restrained. I've been spying here (yes, under this name) and I think it's finally better. So I'm saying negative on the poll, perhaps there [i]is[/i] a short-term n00bification that I don't know about, but it's a lot better looking at the long term.

[QUOTE=Corey][size=1]Jesus Christ, you guys.
You all act like you've never been new members before. You act like you plopped into the midst of Otakuboards the well grammered and respectful members you are today. Please. Get off your damn high-horse.

[b]We were [i]all[/i] like that at some point.[/b]

And as for the Arena, who are we to judge a good RPG from a bad one? Grammer? Spelling? Creativity? Who gives a **** if you can have fun. The caliber of RPG isn't important. The only important thing is that the participants can have fun. If you check out an RPG that seems to leave a bad taste in your mouth with the lack of storyline or poor writing, don't sign up. But don't ***** about it. Just let the people that [i]are[/i] playing have fun.

Get off you *** and write one yourself if you want a good RPG.

I find people like you, Rhym, more annoying than any new member.[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]I love you. <3 :heart:

[quote name='Charles']Of course, the irony in all this is that new members are being spun in a negative light. They're being portrayed here as if they're detrimental to the condition of the forums when, in reality, new members are what keep the site lively and functional.[/quote]

That's what I've been saying that for [i]years[/i]. ^_^ Anyone old remember this: "Newbie and Darn Proud of it!" ? That was part of what I was trying to say with that. [size=1]But how [i]is[/i] it that nobody pays attention to something I've been saying for a really long time, but the minute Charles says it, everybody agrees. I'm making you my official spokesperson, Charles, in which everything important I say gets said through you because people listen to you, but when I speak, all they hear is "blah blah blah." Like now. ~_~[/size]

I agree with GodelSensei, too. I've been outside of my OB bubble for about five minutes, and I came running back. I've seen poor forums (never joined anything like Gaia Online), forums where the mods yell at you any time you try and suggest something (I had a fight with a mod because someone else's signature was like... 640 x 480 or something, and I said "some people's sigs are too big" and she thought I meant her sig, which was something like 500 x 200. Needless to say, I left.). You should all be grateful for how well-kept this place is. I know it didn't start out that way.

Some of you are acting like grammar Nazi's, and spelling elitists for chrissake. Lighten up. N00bs & newbies come to OB all the time and people improve. There's more n00bs at sometimes than others. Things like that happen, and it's not the end of the world if there's some bad grammar on OB once in a while. [/color]

[QUOTE=Manic Webb]Actually, I'm of the belief that there's a difference between n00bs and newbies. Newbies are those young (and sometimes old), confused newcomers who might need a guide every once in a while, but eventually gain their barrings and fit in with the older members.

n00bs R t3h sux0rz!!!11!1eleven

I have nothing against newbs. It's the n00bs you have to look out for.[/QUOTE]

I've only been a member for just under three months and I don't feel that OtakuBoards is being n00bed *never heard that term before now* I've seen alot of what Manic Webb is taking about, newbies who are confused that with help become good active members. And the one's who refused to do so were quickly taken care of by the moderators here. *awesome job as usual*

Though since I haven't been here very long maybe there was a problem before I started visiting this site. Still compared to most of the other forums I use to visit, there just isn't any comparision. OtakuBoards is light years ahead of most other places. I love coming here as there's always interesting discussions to either just read or participate in. I've never joined one of the RPG's but from what I have read a lot of them are really amazing! Though again I am comparing them to other sites I have been too.

If we were to rate how much n00bing was going on here in OtakuBoards, well my verdict would be that compared to other sites it's definately the lowest n00b rate I've ever seen. ^_^

As for misspelling, well I for one could benefit from a spell-check option. I try really hard but I'm a terriable speller. ^_~

[color=Navy]Wow, this is such an interesting discussion...

I've noticed that the Adventure Arena/Square has been mentioned several times.

How I see it is that there are some new members that have arrived and not read the rules, accidentally breeching them.

I've been around for a little over 2 years and most of the time has been spent in the Adventure Arena. I'll admit that I have seen a bit of a decline in RPs, though I don't think its all from new members.

But for those who want good RPs, sometimes I put some up, and because they're long, people turn away, so I'm not sure how to solve that, since they really do have good storylines.

And SunfallE, if you want a spell check, just type your stuff on Microsoft Word or something and use that.

If you don't understand everything I said above, I agree with what everyone who says 'OB isn't being n00bed'.
[/color]

Every forum gets n00bed eventually. But really, I've seen maybe 10-20 n00bs here at the most. That's nothing compared to most forums. OB isn't exactly the kind of place of where n00bs flourish, thanks to the rules that basically prohibit posters from thoughtless posts.

[COLOR=Indigo]I wasn't on for too long, but there may be some "Newbish-ness" going on...

But,

Why the hell should we care? Before commenting on the newb-aspect of the newcomers, weren't we all newbs at some point? Why should we criticize them for not having the same experience that we once lacked?

Think about it, things get borring after some time. Everything dies, and these boards might, eventually. People leave this site on a daily basis, only to be replaced by a newb.

If those newbs don't show up, then this site WILL DIE.[/COLOR]

While I agree with you on the fact that we all start out new, and that newer peolple are the life blood of this website, the problem, as stated in the previous pages, lies not with newbies, but "n00bs" which, I believe, has now been defined as a seperated class, so to speak. I say "so to speak" because that, although I can't find a better word for it, I don't like the idea of making "classes" over the internet, for therein llies the rise of aristocracy, and then monarchy.
But this has nothing to do with this thread, so I'll leave it at this.
And if your wondering why I put this post down, its just to tell Havokio whats been said and defined already

[size=1]In regards to the 'class' issue, the internet is all about separation and finding your own niche. Look at the principles behind clans and guilds. Look at the separation between different forums. Look at each group of poeple, as they have made themselves. n00bs are a whole diferent breed to Newbs, and if you cannot make that kind of distinction, then you end up spending 2 pages of thread defining them.[/size]

I am new to this particular board, but not new to message boards in general. I have currently been a member of another anime board for 3 years.

I saw "myotaku" and like the idea of being able to share wallpapers with other members instead of keeping them hidden under a photobucket account.

My point is...even though I am new to this site, I don't consider myself the type of newbie that you guys are categorizing.

I think the term has been mixed with the another term "spammers". I know what you are talking about because my other message board has also experience this.

They are people who are posting just for sake of posting. Whether they are posting to "up their post count", because they're bored, or simply because they like to see their avatar with pretty words on the bottom of it.

I understand what you guys are saying about the obvious misspellings done on purpose. But I don't think it is right to cricitize people if they have slight grammar or spelling issues. Though I do know how to read or write (I would hope I do with my level of education) at times I am in a hurry and mess up my spelling....we are human afterall.

But I have a feeling that is not the type of spelling or grammar errors you are referring to. I think you guys are basically talking about writings that slightly resemble some alien type language.

As for the RPG solution...I agree with what another member had said earlier. You should selectively make a seperate RPG in which you must approve before you allow them to post. If a admin or mod can help you, they can erase any posts that were posted by people that you didn't approve of.

I blabbed too much, I'm very sorry. You will see me around more often. I hope to contribute to alot of the conversations. Hopefully, I'll stand out as an exception to the stereotypical "newbie"

[size=1][b]There is nothing wrong with 'newbies'[/b]. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them, [b]nobody has a problem with them[/b]. Nobody cares if you accidentally misspell a word. Nobody cares if you fail to use a comma in your sentence, or if you accidentally insert a semi-colon inappropriately. Nobody is going to tackle you about that.

It's n00bs, spammers and other such people that we wish to discourage. [b]Newbies and n00bs are different things[/b]. Why are people having so much difficulty overcoming this concept? It isn't hard. Is it?[/size]