OtakuBoards

OB got n00bed

Rhym

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGrey]Is it just me? Does anyone else notice the n00bs?

It seems to me that over the few years I've been on the Boards, the post quality in Adventure Square has dropped horribly. I refer to RPs I've been in such as Guild of Beginnings (which was entertaining, until the n00bs infected it with crappy writing) and Punishment Divine (in which they took my idea and ignored my character). Compared to Subhuman, a post I joined when I joined the boards, these are crap. Okay, so there may have been some inconsistencies in Subhuman, but it was solid writing through and through.

So, what do you think? Have the Boards gotten n00bed?[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[SIZE=1]Maybe a little bit, but I've only been here a year, so who am I to say? I agree with you that the post quality in the Arena really is below-par for most RPGs, but whatever -- it doesn't really bug me too much. As long as there are a few good RPGs every now and then to join that have good quality, I'll be silent.[/SIZE]

[size=1]OH EM GEE SO U LYKE, JOYND ONE!!1111 [1!!] RPG LYKE U NO AGES AGO AN IT WUZ LYKE GUDD AND LYKE NOW U THINK ALL TEH RPGS ARE CRAPEY!?!?! LYKE D00D DAT WUZ LYKE ONE [1!!!!] RPG AN THERE HAS ALWAYZ BIN LYKE G00D RPGS AN LYKE BADD ONEZ HEY SO LYKE BROWZE THRU TEH, Y NO, ARKIVEZ AND COMPARE THE LYKE, RATIOS AN ALL.

HAHA FLAM SPAM SPAM.[/size]

[color=#9933ff]Well, I don't visit the Adventure Arena (I've been in one RPG in my entire life, and done three sign ups in total eheh. The one I did wasn't even on this board. I'm too afraid to join one because I'll end up screwing it up. >_>), so I couldn't say about the quality in there.

A while back, I think toward the middle/end of v6, there was so much n00b-age running around, I wanted to almost melt or something. It goes in cycles, really. Around Nov/Dec/Jan I remember some things were spamtastic. I think right now it's alright. Like I said, it comes in waves, and not too often. It's not [i]that[/i] bad.

I think my first n00b-shock actually was around the beginning/middle of v6. I was sort of a regular member then, and all these people started signing up and posting [i]a lot[/i] and it was all at the same time and I didn't think it was a n00b attack or anything, but I was really really overwhelmed with new people. It was like "gyah!!!! I.don't.know.these.people. X_x" Most of you, I'm sure, came during v6. That's what I'm talking about. And I mean, you all turned out fine, it was just overwhelming to have that many new people at one time. Of course, I could always just be imagining this in my head, because God knows I'm very very good at doing that. XD

I don't think OB will ever be picked up by newbies and taken over as depicted in stories like Enter the 'Net and Otaku Hollow. Or be taken over in any other form. For some reason, when I say " picked up by newbies and taken over" it reminds me of ants coming to your picnic and taking off with a cracker. It's almost comical, in a way.

No, that's not going to happen to OB. The only way this site will die is if Adam runs out of money and is forced to shut it down. If James accidentally deletes all the files for OB, we can always re-build it. Or if the whole thing disappears and James and Adam and Dagger disappear along with it, we can all just make a new forum for ourselves. I'd do it. *shrug*

Point of my rambling: OB ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE AND IT'S NOT BEING TAKEN OVER BY N00BS, OKAY?!?!? Good. ^^ [/color]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Blue]I agree. The "n00bs" have had a sudden outbreak in the Boards recently. There are a lot of threads that have been closed lately due to new members not knowing the rules. One of my friends recently joined but she learned wuickly, she still sometimes has poor sentence structure but she is getting there. I don't think that the new members won't be as "n00bish" if they read the rules.

So I do agree that the new members are somewhat manifesting the boards, but I think the new member population will decrease with time.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Rhym][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGrey]Is it just me? Does anyone else notice the n00bs?

I refer to RPs I've been in such as Guild of Beginnings (which was entertaining, until the n00bs infected it with crappy writing) [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that proper grammar and spelling is important.

Anyway, yes, I totally agree. Although I haven't been here much these days, it is quite annoying to deal with someone who can't [I]spell[/I] annoying.

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Nah, there's always been the misguided few who have lost their way and found themselves in a place they do not recognize nor belong. Those of continuous post quality soon leave and are neither noticed nor remembered by the older patrons among us. However one must always start at a low level, becoming better and more confident with time

In the Arena specifically, you don't join and suddenly become good at RPing or creating RPs. You start off crap and work your way up to being good ^_^. Prehaps the fact that we have so many poor RPs is a testament to the amount of new people we have here on the boards who have not seen an above average RP that the can aspire to and so continue creating ones they feel are good and yet are sub-par by experienced players standards.

Maybe you should create an excellent RP, letting only those you feel are good RPers who are going to really excel within the world you have created join you. Prehaps then when new starters see such an RP they will know the level they must reach ^_^.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#141416][font=tahoma]You think the OB has been "n00bed"? I saw that you joined in June of last summer, fortunately for you, you missed a huge wave of n00b attack. It lasted for a while, if not was going on when I joined in '03. Sure, there are a handful of "n00bs", and there are posts that are spam-infested, but I don't think that today's "problems" compare to what the OB experienced a couple of years ago _^_

But from what I can tell over the past 7-9 months, the OB seems to be running smoothly and less spammy. Just a whole wave of new and, I [b]must[/b] say, imaginative and creative members. I can pick off two handfuls, at least.

So, all in all, I think the OB has [gradually and productively] been recovering from late '03's and early--early--'04's n00bfest. That's my input, and what I've seen. [/color][/font]

Although it says on my tittle that I am a new member, I am not new to the otakuboards at all. For a very long time I've been reading the scripts without actually participating. And I agree. sometimes the lack of quality can be disturbing. (As for the time last June, that was when I first started looking at it, and what at first kept me from joining in). However, not all newbies are grammaticaly deprived. But you are right in the respect of which, with the rise of newer people, there has been a decline in quality. and most of it stems from new members. So I agree completely with you.

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]OH EM GEE SO U LYKE, JOYND ONE!!1111 [1!!] RPG LYKE U NO AGES AGO AN IT WUZ LYKE GUDD AND LYKE NOW U THINK ALL TEH RPGS ARE CRAPEY!?!?! LYKE D00D DAT WUZ LYKE ONE [1!!!!] RPG AN THERE HAS ALWAYZ BIN LYKE G00D RPGS AN LYKE BADD ONEZ HEY SO LYKE BROWZE THRU TEH, Y NO, ARKIVEZ AND COMPARE THE LYKE, RATIOS AN ALL.

HAHA FLAM SPAM SPAM.[/size][/QUOTE]

I agree with B4r0n. His one post made more sense than I have in years.

[quote name='Retribution][SIZE=1']Maybe a little bit, but I've only been here a year, so who am I to say? I agree with you that the post quality in the Arena really is below-par for most RPGs, but whatever -- it doesn't really bug me too much. As long as there are a few good RPGs every now and then to join that have good quality, I'll be silent.[/SIZE][/quote]

[FONT=Georgial][SIZE=2][i] I agree with this. I've only been here one year too. (Don't believe me? Look at my profile, yeah its true I don't have as many posts, but hey I got a life you know) but there are alot of incomplete RPGS roaming around, It just means you have to dig for the interesting ones. Don't judge a book by its cover though, and as for anyone complaining, well just suck it up and deal with it. If you don't like the RPG, then don't join it. It'll fade in time. By the way there is a difference between N00bs and Newbie. A n00b can be just as old but acts like a total retard. Example? (Not saying Baron is a retard mind you) Well..look below. (I've seen decent new members, but I admit they are few and rare) [/i][/FONT][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]OH EM GEE SO U LYKE, JOYND ONE!!1111 [1!!] RPG LYKE U NO AGES AGO AN IT WUZ LYKE GUDD AND LYKE NOW U THINK ALL TEH RPGS ARE CRAPEY!?!?! LYKE D00D DAT WUZ LYKE ONE [1!!!!] RPG AN THERE HAS ALWAYZ BIN LYKE G00D RPGS AN LYKE BADD ONEZ HEY SO LYKE BROWZE THRU TEH, Y NO, ARKIVEZ AND COMPARE THE LYKE, RATIOS AN ALL.

HAHA FLAM SPAM SPAM.[/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=2][i]For once, I have nothing to comment on. I'm speechless. :wow: lol [/i][/FONT][/SIZE]

Pumpkin,
thank you for clearing that up for me. I had wondered why a member and not a newbie had posted that. In that case, yes, the otaku boards are getting completely bogged down in n00bs. Even in the anti-n00bs thread, no less!
Baron Samedi,
Like pumpkin, I am speachless

If OB is being n00bed now, I'd like to know why none of these n00bs watch TV or many movies. Have you [i]seen[/i] my forum, lately? It's in a slow season like no other. Once upon a time, I'd get 12 separate threads once a Star Wars movie comes out, and I'd have to merge a new one everyday. I don't know how the Anime Lounge or Adventure Square are doing, but I'd say things have really mellowed around here lately.

[size=1]Jesus Christ, you guys.
You all act like you've never been new members before. You act like you plopped into the midst of Otakuboards the well grammered and respectful members you are today. Please. Get off your damn high-horse.

[b]We were [i]all[/i] like that at some point.[/b]

And as for the Arena, who are we to judge a good RPG from a bad one? Grammer? Spelling? Creativity? Who gives a **** if you can have fun. The caliber of RPG isn't important. The only important thing is that the participants can have fun. If you check out an RPG that seems to leave a bad taste in your mouth with the lack of storyline or poor writing, don't sign up. But don't ***** about it. Just let the people that [i]are[/i] playing have fun.

Get off you *** and write one yourself if you want a good RPG.

I find people like you, Rhym, more annoying than any new member.[/size]

[size=1]I have to disagree, actually. There are plenty of decent RPGs in the Arena right now, and they're only going to get better as the stories really get going and people get into their characters. Even the ones that start off average can become awesome if members put a little effort in their posts. I have to agree with doukeshi and say that it's much easier to sit back and complain that things aren't up to your standards than it is to jump in and try to lead by example. Of course, if there aren't any story genres up that interest you, then that's going to effect how you view the Arena overall, as well. I'm sure it's pretty much the same for any of the forums on the boards. Honestly, I don't think you're looking in the right places. :p[/size]

Of course, the irony in all this is that new members are being spun in a negative light. They're being portrayed here as if they're detrimental to the condition of the forums when, in reality, new members are what keep the site lively and functional. If the post quality is lacking in RPGs, then you can't just blame the new membership. I've seen wonderful new members that completely put some mediocre veteran ones to shame. In any case, the message here is that the success of a forum lies in team effort. New members keep forums going and generate fresh activity while older members are supposed to be there to set a standard. A novel concept, huh? So, do that. It's not as if you don't have the means to create your own RPG where you control the quality through sign-ups.

[SIZE=1]I heartily agree with Arcadia, Corey and Charles. I think most of the reason older members here think the boards are being "n00bed" is because it?s the really bad ones that stick in your mind, even if there are only a few of them. I go to the Adventure Arena everyday and there aren't [I]nearly[/I] as many bad posts as there used to be. Sure, a couple of threads have been closed but the only reason for that so far seems to be the lack of a thread rating and the writing itself isn't all that bad. I'm sure Arcadia and Ozy will back me up on that?

Anyway, I think the n00bs have gone down to almost nothing and I'm certainly noticing an increase in good quality, friendly new members around the place.[/SIZE]

Actually, I'm of the belief that there's a difference between n00bs and newbies. Newbies are those young (and sometimes old), confused newcomers who might need a guide every once in a while, but eventually gain their barrings and fit in with the older members.

n00bs R t3h sux0rz!!!11!1eleven

I have nothing against newbs. It's the n00bs you have to look out for.

I agree with Delacroix on his or her account. I do not have the best post quality even if I have been around here for the better part of around two years (515 is low for this time but I also have a life) but when I first joined I used to accidently break the rules all the time. After a while I picked up the rules and grew to be a good member. Most New Members are like this at the begining but You have to give time for Improvements before you judge them.

Oh yes and,

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Baron Samedi
OH EM GEE SO U LYKE, JOYND ONE!!1111 [1!!] RPG LYKE U NO AGES AGO AN IT WUZ LYKE GUDD AND LYKE NOW U THINK ALL TEH RPGS ARE CRAPEY!?!?! LYKE D00D DAT WUZ LYKE ONE [1!!!!] RPG AN THERE HAS ALWAYZ BIN LYKE G00D RPGS AN LYKE BADD ONEZ HEY SO LYKE BROWZE THRU TEH, Y NO, ARKIVEZ AND COMPARE THE LYKE, RATIOS AN ALL.

HAHA FLAM SPAM SPAM. [/QUOTE]

I expected so much from a Western Australian.

[QUOTE=Manic Webb]Actually, I'm of the belief that there's a difference between n00bs and newbies. Newbies are those young (and sometimes old), confused newcomers who might need a guide every once in a while, but eventually gain their barrings and fit in with the older members.

n00bs R t3h sux0rz!!!11!1eleven

I have nothing against newbs. It's the n00bs you have to look out for.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][b]Thank god someone stated this as well. I've been trying to state theres a difference between N00bs and Newbies.

Newbies = New Person
N00bs = YAh I RuLe ThIs Place YER! LYKE OMG! U WILL BE PWNED!! XOXO

A Newbie may make mistakes, which everyone has done on their first time at a new forum. A n00b refuses to obey the rules and post quantity of spam posts. Difference? I think so. [/b][/FONT][/SIZE]

[color=#737373]No, OtakuBoards hasn't gotten "n00bed". You may notice people here and there who aren't posting particularly well, but nobody who follows the boards for any period of time could suggest that the place is getting worse in terms of quality.

If you remember anything pre-V7, you'll know that quality has always been a big struggle. Yes, there will always be lower quality posts floating around. And yes, we'll have quiet times, we'll have very busy times and we'll have everything in between. But I guarantee you, OtakuBoards is generally always going uphill rather than downhill.

I can tell you this for several reasons. One is that I visit many parts of the boards and I know the kind of quality we're getting. And two, I have more Moderator candidates than I've ever had before. In previous years it was difficult to find people who stacked up. Now there's an abundance of them. That is a sure sign to me that quality is improving across the board.

As Charles said, anyway, new members are the lifeblood of this site and of any forum. I welcome new members and I especially welcome new members who get very involved and want to make a contribution. Those are the people who are more likely to play a bigger role in the site.[/color]

As a fellow n00b to all the n00bs out there with a number of misspellings and such, I am thoroughly annoyed with myself. I can't stand me. Oh how I wish I had better posting quality.

*Loggs onto Battle.net*
*Typing sounds*

I WISH I R HAD BETR SKILLZ
Stfu nooblet i r haxx0r u wif mah leet skizzles. I R HAXX0R YOUR COMPUTER.

Have to say though, i'm a little offended.

[size=1]I was hoping that I wouldn't be required to make this statement, but my previous post was me being [b]ironic[/b]. And funny. The thing is it's true. There [b]has[/b] always been good posts and bad posts, and the average quality level [b]has[/b] risen. Rhym, you're just looking at the past through rose-coloured glasses. Wake up, and realise that, in fact, the boards are not being n00bed, and quality isn't d3cl1n1n1g. 17'5 ju57 ur 1m4g1n4710n.

All joking aside, I am being completely serious. Anyone who is complaining about waves of n00bs and such...geez. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Perhaps we here at OB have become too decadent and exclusive in our views of what is truly sub-standard. Perhaps some people need to be sent out into the Wilds of the internet, and find out what truly is unacceptable quality. And perhaps these people also need to learn some [b]tolerance[/b]. As Corey said, nobody arrives here perfect.

And I would have thought that the 'Newbie'/'n00b' distinction was obvious. Maybe it's just me.[/size]