OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy 7 Tech Demo for PS3

2010DigitalBoy

There has recently a mysterious appearance. A Fianl Fantasy 7 tech dem for the PS3, recreating the opening scene with beautiful graphics. No more blocky dudes. There come smy question. Please, for the love of god, tell me they aren't remaking Final Fantasy 7! DOES THE MILKING END??? I hope you all express equal concern. This thread now open for rumors, facts, and conspiracy theories.

if they are remaking final fantasy 7, i have but one comment:

IT'S ABOUT FRICKING TIME!

final fantasy 7 rased the bar for the final fantasy games, and did the most for the series in terms of awareness. i'd say, give it a ffx-style graphics makeover, put back in the reviving aerith thing, add about 5 more "american monsters" - there you have it ff7 revamped.

It would be really nice if they were remaking FF7. But if you watched the sony E3 conference, right after they showed the tech demo, the president of Square Enix (i forget what his name is) stated that it was merely a tech demo for the PS3 and that they have "No plans to remake Final Fantasy 7 for the playstation 3".

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1]OMFG!!! FF7 T3K D3MO WINZ MY INT3RN3T!

Aherm, right.
[b]I say nay to remaking FF7 for the PS3.[/b] We must be content with FF7-PS, for FF7 shall lose its status as a pioneer in video-RPG's if Squenix remakes it for the PS3. Besides, remake it and there'll be legions upon legions of fans bitching over the best FF7 version.

We don't want that. Everybody now: Love and Peace!

EDIT: Remember Final Fantasy 8 Tech demo for the PS2? Yep, they made it just to show support for the console.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

The game doesn't need to be remade and it doesn't need a sequel, in my opinion. However, that would certainly be better than what they're doing with this game. FF7 Snowboarding? Who wants that, honestly? Square is making everything about the game except what people actually want.

It's actually funny, in a way. Awhile back they gave a vague, strange answer to the question of why there hasn't been a new game involving FF7 since people love it so much (ironically, FF8 sold better in Japan -- probably here too). They stated that it was something they'd have to be carefully planned so they wouldn't ruin the characters or story in some way; this basically meant it was very unlikely to ever happen. This answer was given well before anyone knew of all these FF7 spin-offs.

So, instead of getting a RPG that would potentially ruin the story and characters and universe of the series, we get a snowboarding game and some action titles. How does that work?

In any case, Square has right out said the PS3 tech demo doesn't reflect any games in development and they have no plans to remake the title. There's not much more to say about that.

I would be happy if they remade FF7, but not really too disappointed if they didn't. They already have or are making so many spinoffs, some better than others. They probably just had FF7 on the brain and decided it would be cool to revamp the opening scene to tease people.

I'm pretty sure that years ago they were going to "remake" FF7 and possibly the other PSone titles but scrapped it when they lost a ton of money on The crappy spirits movie.

Guest rave_ninja
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]While FF7 was one of the better FF's to come out on Playstation (storywise at least), I think it's seen it's limits of remakes. I'm sure most of you already know of the numerous games they have coming out (i.e. Derge of Cerberus, Advent Children, the one about the turks...). I think remaking it for PS3 would be bad for the game. I think by then, the hype about the game will have pretty much died since gamers will have had more than their fill of FF7.

Please, Square-Enix, if you still love us, you won't make a FF7 PS3 game.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]I might like to see FFVII remade on the PS3, provided they revamped the translation. The US version was confusing as heck if you didn't pay really close attention to the dialogue (and find the hidden cutscene with Cloud and Zack). If they did that, I would probably actually buy it. But otherwise, I'd have a hard time justifying the $50 (or more, if next generation game prices go up) price tag just for prettier graphics.

About the tech demo itself, I have to admit, it looked really awesome. Almost made me want to go replay FFVII again. ... Until I remembered I'm still lending it out in return for Chrono Cross, heh. I've always really liked FFVII's intro movie, and seeing Midgar rendered with PS3 quality graphics was amazing.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4b0082']The US version was confusing as heck if you didn't pay really close attention to the dialogue (and find the hidden cutscene with Cloud and Zack).[/color][/quote]
Just a quick aside. Desi, what did you find particularly confusing about it? I mean, I rarely fully read game text nowadays, even less back then, and I never had any problem sorting out the Zack subplot. And plus, it's pretty much all explained/revealed before Jenova Death...it ties most of it up.

The main point he's making is that the Zack subplot is in no way pushed onto you like it should be. I would say a vast majority of people didn't even realize it existed. The game doesn't hint at it, really, and it requires you to go to a place you've been done with for quite some time. He's not saying that the Zack subplot was confusing once you found it.

Regardless, I think the story was a mess. It's not that the basic idea didn't make sense, but I felt it wasn't developed or explained very well. It's more than understandable that someone wouldn't quite grasp what in the world it's trying to say considering how muddy the whole thing is (particularly their motivations).

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']The main point he's making is that the Zack subplot is in no way pushed onto you like it should be. I would say a vast majority of people didn't even realize it existed. The game doesn't hint at it, really, and it requires you to go to a place you've been done with for quite some time. He's not saying that the Zack subplot was confusing once you found it.[/quote]

Yeah, that's basically what I was going to say. I didn't even realize it existed until I saw someone mention it on another message board. Who has a reason to go back to the [spoiler]Shinra Mansion[/spoiler] at that point in the game? By that time you should have already [spoiler]beaten the monster in the safe and gotten Vincent...I don't even know if you [i]can[/i] get Vincent that late in the game lol.[/spoiler] And even if someone [i]does[/i] randomly decide to visit the [spoiler]Shinra Mansion[/spoiler], for whatever reason, if you [spoiler]don't have Tifa in your party[/spoiler] you don't find anything of worth.

I personally think that's a terrible way to reveal something that's pretty important to the story, and that's confused a lot of people for a long time.

lol, I found the [spoiler]Shinra Mansion[/spoiler] Zack-thingy really randomly with Tifa. This was when I was at an age where I was completely enthralled with the game and felt it necessary to go back there. Don't ask me why. Maybe I didn't feel Nibelheim was explained enough.

I loved and still do love FF7, though despite being a Square fan, I wasn't impressed by FFX at all.

On the other note, I'd rather FF7 not be remade at all if there's a possibility they'll ruin the game because this will ruin the original FF7 charm for me. Of course people felt the story was muddy or whatever, but there were many who loved it, so why not keep the story, add some more mini-games, quests, explain it a bit more, [i]and[/i] complete that bloody SOLDIER 1/16 toy quest. It had no meaning.

It won't happen though.

[color=#4B0082]The bit where Cloud finds himself or whatever in the Lifestream helps to clear up a lot of questions about the game's backstory, but yeah, unless you find that hidden scene, there's still a lot of loose ends. Plus, there's a lot of stuff involving Sephiroth, Jenova, and the clones that isn't very apparent unless you pay close really attention. The sequence where you first go to the Northern Crater comes to mind -- lots of hard to follow, yet very story-important dialogue.

And in hindsight, yeah, everything now seems perfectly clear to me. But when I was first playing through the game, I had to spend a good hour on scenes like the Northern Crater and Lifestream ones, just to read the text carefully while keeping straight all the other details I'd learned earlier in the game, to make sure I understood thing correctly. And I did understand nearly everything just from that one play through, but I don't think it should've required as much effort as it did.

Personally, I think the Cloud/Zack cutscene would've fit better as another mandatory part of the Lifestream sequence. It ties right in to the other events you see during that part, and is nearly as important.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Personally, I think the Cloud/Zack cutscene would've fit better as another mandatory part of the Lifestream sequence. It ties right in to the other events you see during that part, and is nearly as important.[/color][/quote]

Definitely. The way the game puts it in there now, it's given the importance of something like the story of Cloud and a cat when he was a kid. This was extremely poor judgement on Square's part.

Luckily we all know about it now, so it worked out eventually lol.

The Zack story was always interesting and frustrating because everything was always hints. It took some time in the game to sort that out, good thing I play through the game 5 times or so.

The thing that drove me nuts was the guy with the #2 on his arm in Midgar. You find him injured in a tube-like house in the city, and it really seems like you should be able to do something, but who knows what that might be? Unfinished game stuff is just evil.

[QUOTE=satan665]The Zack story was always interesting and frustrating because everything was always hints. It took some time in the game to sort that out, good thing I play through the game 5 times or so.

The thing that drove me nuts was the guy with the #2 on his arm in Midgar. You find him injured in a tube-like house in the city, and it really seems like you should be able to do something, but who knows what that might be? Unfinished game stuff is just evil.[/QUOTE]

I think it's unfinished and complete in two parts:-

The first unfinished part would be, as you said, perhaps a quest to save the man, or at least find some sort of note regarding his situation. Perhaps even a nice little scene with a family member missing their son, just like with Zack, would've helped.

However, perhaps this was deliberate, for [spoiler]you find out in the Mako reactor how SOLDIERs were being exposed to Mako for experiments.[/spoiler] Perhaps this means the actual fusion of the bloodstream and Mako is irreversible.

Either way, it's probably just a lazy team hoping we'll twig it or make something up so that it makes sense. lol