Dagger

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[b] I want to enter the Otakuboards Graphics Tournament[/b]

I know I haven't posted in Art Studio since it was created, but this seems like a fun thing to do, and it would actualy help with my school work in a way. I only hope I'm not too late.

[size=1][color=royalblue]On the first post it said the deadline was August 12th *coughlastweekcough*, but since nothing has happened, I'll go for the entry.
People always thought my stuff was different from what everybody else made. ^_~
Prepare to be ph33ring.

[i]Katana wishes to enter the Official OtakuBoards Graphics Tournament[/i].

Noticed I used italics. I am the original. ^_^[/color][/size]

Sorry for the delay, folks. That having been said, I've edited my original post to include the bracket image. The first round should kick off later today, once I discuss a couple of details with the committee. Feel free to post any additional questions to this thread, and thanks again for your patience.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
It's finally started. There were some logistical difficulties, but I believe we're now good to go. Hopefully this can regain some momentum. :animesigh

I've PMed the participants about some changes which had to be implemented, but (just in case) I'll explain them here as well. There will not be any tournament committee; instead, I will be responsible for tallying votes, deciding on the specifics of each match and determining which votes are invalid (hopefully none!).

The first round will be staggered. The five threads currently in play will run for a creation period (lasting until Tuesday the 13th) as well as a voting period (lasting until a date which will be announced later). Once they have been fully voted on, the round will be finished with the remaining five matches. Ideally this will help maximize turnout and prevent the OBGT from completely swamping the Art Studio with new threads.

If you have general questions, comments or suggestions about the tournament, you're welcome to continue posting them here. However, please be aware that [b]sign-ups are closed[/b]. Thanks.

~Dagger~

[size=1][color=royalblue]In a sense, yes. If you go to each thread, the theme (or parameters) is posted. Each theme is different for each match. Me and Revue have "Falling" with a parameter of 150x500; Boo and Butterfly's theme is Snow with a parameter of 500x200, etc. The themes and areas are different for each match, probably to avoid copying or something. XD
Wait...that'd be too obvious..whatever. You guys get to vote in the end on which one you like the best between the two competitors.

...Mmm, sorry if this counts as modding...

Oh, and Dagger: Flying Spaghetti Monster. Love it.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Katana][size=1][color=royalblue]
Oh, and Dagger: Flying Spaghetti Monster. Love it.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]
Thanks. I am honored to have been touched by His Noodly Appendage. :animesmil

Also, I wanted to confirm that your answer to Doukeshi's question is quite correct. The different themes & dimensions are used both to avoid repetition and to keep it from getting boring, heh.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Revue][COLOR=DarkGoldenrod][SIZE=1]Got a question, Chief: Does 150x500 mean a canvas that's longer than it is wide? Width x height?

And to everyone: Let's do our best, yeah? And don't hold back on each other! ;)[/SIZE][/cOLOR][/QUOTE]
Vertically oriented, yes. I kind of waffled on that one, but after a while I figured that it wouldn't hurt to throw in something a little different.

I'm still thinking about how to approach dimensions in later rounds. Everything for the five current matches is in what one might term a medium-sized range. I'm worried that asking people to do really huge or wallpaper-sized stuff could seem unfair on my part, due to the time contraints; conversely, I don't know how well participants would take to more restrictive dimensions, or to unusual proportions like the one used for your match.

~Dagger~

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=teal']Yeah... I'm kinda hoping that a match where both entrants didn't submit an entry is a draw... <_<[/COLOR][/quote]
Actually, setting your match for now rather than in the second batch was a mistake on my part. Shy told me recently that Tony wouldn't have Internet access for some time, but between the bustle of this and that, I stupidly didn't make the connection. So if you're still interested, and assuming he is as well, I wouldn't mind rescheduling, since he probably would have been able to participate if the tournament had been started immediately, without so many delays.

Katana, I was thinking of leaving voting open until Thursday. If anyone has strong objections to that, raise them here.

~Dagger~

[size=1][color=royalblue][quote name='Dagger']Katana, I was thinking of leaving voting open until Thursday. If anyone has strong objections to that, raise them here.[/quote]
Actually, I was thinking that maybe they should be open until Saturday or something...the weekend. I know lots of people have restricted access to the internet during school days.
'course, that's just me...
Oh, and what about the match between Sean and Young Cheezy? They just gonna be dropped off the bracket?

You know, I've posted way too many times in this thread...[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Katana][size=1][color=royalblue]
Actually, I was thinking that maybe they should be open until Saturday or something...the weekend. I know lots of people have restricted access to the internet during school days.
'course, that's just me...
Oh, and what about the match between Sean and Young Cheezy? They just gonna be dropped off the bracket?

You know, I've posted way too many times in this thread...[/color][/size][/QUOTE]
Well, Young Cheezy just posted. He'll win by default if Sean fails to show.

I wouldn't have a problem with keeping the matches open till Saturday; I was planning to start the second part of round 1 sometime around then, anyway, so it allows for a nice symmetry.

I'm glad you (and others) have posted here repeatedly, heh. Since the running of this tournament has somehow morphed into a one-woman show, I'm going to need all the feedback I can get. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[size=1]I've been watching the rounds go, and contemplating what theme I'll be given... But I agree that the votes should be extended. I know that I personally have had some serious troubles going on, and that would give me a nice time to vote for each round. ^_^

As for your role, you're doing an amazing job at keeping this organized, and the themes are fun... and original to boot. =D

Keep up the great work Dag, we all appretiate it. I'm off to vote now that I got some free time.
[/size]

[quote name='Dagger']So if you're still interested, and assuming he is as well, I wouldn't mind rescheduling, since he probably would have been able to participate if the tournament had been started immediately, without so many delays.[/quote] [COLOR=teal]Sounds good to me. Anytime is fine. School's just been a nag since it just started up, but two more days and everything will be in line for me. ^^[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Young Cheezy]better late then never? this took a LOT of my time..Sorry for the delays.

[IMG]http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2558/yugimoto5ey.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
[SIZE=1]
Does this qualify as an entry? This seems like it was made in Microsoft Paint, and it seems like it was thrown together in a mere 30 seconds. No offense to Young Cheezy, but i've seen your work and it is much better than this, and if you just did a last minute entry just so you could stay in the contest, it wouldn't be fair to your opponent or the participants. So i'm asking you Dagger. Does this qualify? [/SIZE]

[size=1][color=royalblue]I'm in serious agreement with Rising Sun. I personally didn't/do not think it's fair if Cheezy wins by default, especially considering they were late.
I just don't see why someone else gets a break when they were late in the first place. That, and their piece isn't good.
I've noticed during the OBGT that some people have put their hearts out for the graphics, and others have merely slapped things together. That makes many one-sided contests for sure. It bothers me that some people (*coughmeretrirevuecough*) put a lot of time into something while others didn't. It's not really a contest if you don't try.

Well, rant aside, I would like to mention that, if possible, I could end up being a task monkey for future rounds, seeing as how I've lost all hope for winning. - -;;

Oap, off to school...[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]I have noticed also that some entrants don't really seem to be trying. I mean whats the point in entering a graphics contest and posting something a complete novice could do in two minutes, it doesn't make sense and is just pure laziness.

I know some people have had trouble getting on and such, but still thats no excuse for a lapse in the quality of your work. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]My apologies, my internet connection hasn't been functioning for around 2 weeks, so I haven't been able to see the thread or have a chance to make a piece. I can sort one out just now if it would be possible.

I've PM'ed Dagger to ask permission, but I thought I would let the general public know of my absence.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Hmm, just for fun I added a second image to my contest post (only as an attachment) to see what I could with the same dimensions/theme with ten minutes instead of four. >>"

I guess I can't change my entry after everyone posted, but me no care. I just added it for fun, yay.[/size]

I've permitted [b]Sean[/b] to post his piece a day late, as his excuse sounds fair to me (I don't want to be giving out extensions on a regular basis, however, so this is going to be a rare occurence). The Saturday voting deadline still stands.

~Dagger~