OtakuBoards

Names that make you show up

Maully

[COLOR=SeaGreen]I'm sure everyone has heard that Julia Roberts is the only Hollywood actress who can fill seats with just her name attached to a movie. She's the only actress studios will bank anything on.

My question is this: Who puts your butt in a seat at the movie theater? Who are the people you would go and see, no matter how bad the previews look? I'm talking actor/actresses, directors, writers, anybody. I want to hear about them.

Conversely, who repels you? I hate Bruckheimer post 1995 and Micheal Bay. I'll ellaborate in a minute.

Since I'm asking, here are some of my answers.

I love Ewan McGregor. I think he's very talented and has decent taste in projects. Kevin Spacy-- Usual Suspects started it, but his list of stuff I admire goes on.
Ryan Gosling--Forget that he was on the Mickey Mouse Club, IMO no younger actor does brooding or angry like him.
Scarlett Johansen-Gorgeous and quietly talented. I want her as a roomate. She seems very real.
Terry Gilliam--He's a director if you don't recognize the name. He's doing The Brothers Grimm this summer. His other films 12 Monkeys, Brazil,Almost anything Monty Python, Time Bandits... The List goes on, I'm sure you know who he is.

ON to Bruckheimer and Bay... I hate them because they'd rather blow things up than think about things. I like adventure movies just as much as anyone, believe me. I just don't think quality explosions and depth of plot are mutually exclusive. These men do not appear to share me opinion. I guess Bruckheimer may be trying to be thinky with his CSI series (all 309 of them) but where are the big explosions and exciting camerawork? CSI (first one) has some interesting camera work, but not "exciting." Mutaully exclusive...[/COLOR]

Heh I almost fear responding to this because my list is a bit um, odd. But hey, I never claimed to have good taste, I just like what I like XD

Alright so after looking through my DVD collection I have a list. Some of them don't work much anymore if at all =/ Ah well, I'd go see them if they did.

[B]Brendan Fraser[/B]- He's just a funny man that I like to watch. When he's in something, even if the movie isn't so great, I somehow don't mind. The Mummy and Blast from the Past are my favorites by him.

[B]Leslie Nielson[/B]- Why is some old guy doing silly spoofs funny? Because he is very funny. I love his expressions and somehow his voice makes his lines even funnier. You may remember him from the Naked Gun series ^^

[B]Will Smith[/B]- Meh don't hate me for him. I love watching him get pissed off at aliens/robots/eggplants/cats. Plus the movies he's in aren't really that bad.

[B]Sam Neill [/B]- Ok, you may think "The Jurassic Park dude?" well yeah! He's also been in Merlin and Event Horizon and yes I actually see his name and I want to see the movie.

[B]Johnny Depp[/B]- He's an awesome actor, he's odd and he had frickin amazing choice in movie roles. There ya go.

There's others but they are all guys and I'm trying to think of some girls >_< I can't believe I can't think of any women off the top of my head. I will later hopefully.

[SIZE=1]Only [b]Laurence Fishburne[/b] gets me into a seat, guarrunteed. And strangely enough, there's no one who I can't stand to go see in a movie. I tend to give movies chances unless the critics (and general opinion) say the movie is terrible (ex: Torque. What a godawful movie...).[/SIZE]

Bill Murray is probably the biggest for me right now. He's been on a great roll when it comes to movies lately (except for Garfield I guess lol). Lost in Translation is awesome, I've heard good things about The Life Aquatic, and Broken Flowers looks pretty good, as well. Plus, Mr. Murray also has a nice backlog of classic comedies to his credit, as well. :)

I would agree with Molly on Scarlett Johansson... if she's not my favorite actress in Hollywood right now, she's pretty close (I am a big Winona Ryder fan, too <_<; ). She's been in a bunch of movies that I like a lot, such as the aforementioned Lost in Translation and Ghost World. Also, she's really cute. That helps a lot. :p

I would also hesitantly put Steve Martin on the list. He's been hit and miss lately, but I can't believe that one of the absolute funniest people ever isn't going to make anything good ever again. You can't make classics like The Jerk, Three Amigos, and Planes, Trains and Automobiles and not be hilarious lol. I'd like to see him in more stuff like Bowfinger - I liked that a lot (coincidentally I wish Eddie Murphy would be in more movies like Bowfinger now, too - both are gods of comedy when they're on their game).

[font=Arial Narrow][size=2]There's a couple, for me.

[b]Johnny Depp[/b] -- I'm just a total fan of his work. He's got that slight eccentricity in the roles he chooses that make him stand out from other actors. I loved Finding Neverland and PotC, and I can't wait to see him as Willy Wonka.

[b]Baz Luhrman [/b]-- just because I love the cinematography so much. It's this lovely, jerky style that keeps the pace even if slow moments. And he's also so extravagent in his use of colour -- it's a really lush sort of feel.

I'm sure there's more, but those are my main two at the moment, hehe.[/size][/font]

[COLOR=SeaGreen]Baz Luhrman is a tremendous filmaker. He hasn't missed in my book yet. His brilliant use of color and music in his films... I love him.

I also for got to add Jake and Maggie Gyllenhal. I love them both on and off screen. Ed Harris is my favorite man in Hollywood, and I can't believe I left him off my first list.

I find if weird that I can name a whole bunch of actors, but only 2 women. Is it that much harder to find a talented and appealling woman?[/COLOR]

Christopher Walken. How he wasn't anyone's answer is beyond me. He's fricking Christopher Walken! You name it, he's probably been in it as something. Walken can do anything and it'll be awesome, cause he's frigging Christopher Walken. ^_^

Who else...and pretty much anything with Christopher Guest's name on the billing. He's the guy behind Best In Show, Waiting For Guffman, A Mighty Wind, and one of the major creative forces in This Is Spinal Tap. I see a new Christopher Guest movie coming out, I'm going to make sure my *** is in that movie seat.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]Tim Burton (I know he's not an actor, but if he's involved, I'm there).
[/QUOTE]
This is the ONLY name that definitely gets me into the seat at theatres. I don't see many movies. Can't wait to see Corpse Bride, though!!

I usually decide whether to see a movie based on it's own merit, and not the actors, though I refused to see War of the Worlds because of Tom Cruise and his arseinine comments on mental illness.

Clint Eastwood, hes one of the most empowering actors around. I love some of the antihero characters he plays.

I want to take this time to voice my hatred towards Ben Stiller, hes one of the most over-rated, unfunny people in existance!
And Hugh Grant too! The only role he can play is a bumbling Englishman in a romantic comedy!

It's funny because I do not like Julia Roberts and I find her insanely unattractive. It's kind of sad that, really, female actors do seem to have it harder out there. I remember Halle Berry saying something about the difficulties for black actresses in major films and, honestly, when I think about it, I can't really think of anyone aside from her nowadays that does as much.

I suppose for myself I'd have to go with probably Brad Pitt or Johnny Depp. Depp seems to have some sort of popularity surge here as of late due to random Burton stuff, but I think a lot of his best roles are within other films. He's managed to save possibly average-at-best films (in my opinion) such as Blow, The Secret Window or Pirates of the Carribean on his own. Dead Man and Fear and Loathing Last Vegas are two of my favorites of his without Burton.

Brad Pitt just seems to ooze "cool" and I love him in films like Seven and Fight Club. I just enjoy him in movies, even though I can't say that I feel his characters are very different lol.

Christian Bale is another one. Aside from his role in Batman (which he was perfect for and I was happy the day he was announced), he's done a few other really underrated roles. American Psycho is probably the most remembered one, but there's the Machinist and a handful of others.

[QUOTE=Sage Kaley]Heh I almost fear responding to this because my list is a bit um, odd. But hey, I never claimed to have good taste, I just like what I like XD

[B]Will Smith[/B]- Meh don't hate me for him. I love watching him get pissed off at aliens/robots/eggplants/cats. Plus the movies he's in aren't really that bad. [/QUOTE][color=#6699cc]I like Will Smith. He cracks me up.

I really don't know much about actors and actresses, so I guess I can't really answer well. I still like Robin Williams. And while it's not quite the question, I'll gamely watch any old movie with Dick van Dyke in it. (Several years ago, my mom rented a movie from the video store. I asked what it was. "I don't know, but it's got Dick van Dyke in it. It'll be good.")

I [i]do[/i] remember girls in my class being utterly enthralled with everything Jonathan Taylor Thomas did, years back. Come to think of it, I haven't heard anything about him since [i]Titanic[/i] thrust Leo DeCaprio into the hearts of middle-schoolers everywhere. Whatever happened to him? [/color]

[SIZE=1][B]Angelina Jolie -[/B] Seriously, I don't know how her very image doesn't melt the screen. How someone can exude such a strong sensual yet powerful presence is completely beyond me.

[B]Johnny Depp -[/B] The man's a genius what else do you need to know. He is completely maliable and can change himself for any role. He is engaging and uniquely attractive. Anything with Johnny is a hit in my book.

[B]Tim Burton -[/B] I really can't think of a Tim Burton movie I didn't like (although Planet of the Apes was a close call). From Edward Scissor Hands to Big Fish to Nightmare Before Christmas, his gothic way of portraying the stories he chooses are both creepy and fantastical and I just love his macabre sense of humour.

I also have to agree with Generic on [b]Christian Bale[/b]. I loved the guy in American Psycho and Equilibrium. His role in Reign of Fire, however, could not save this dire movie, though I still enjoyed watching him perform.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Lore][color=#6699cc]I [i]do[/i] remember girls in my class being utterly enthralled with everything Jonathan Taylor Thomas did, years back. Come to think of it, I haven't heard anything about him since [i]Titanic[/i'] thrust Leo DeCaprio into the hearts of middle-schoolers everywhere. Whatever happened to him? [/color][/quote]

He disappeared once he passed puberty and all the girls realized they had a deeper voice than he did.

[QUOTE=Siren]Christopher Walken. How he wasn't anyone's answer is beyond me. He's fricking Christopher Walken! You name it, he's probably been in it as something. Walken can do anything and it'll be awesome, cause he's frigging Christopher Walken. ^_^

Who else...and pretty much anything with Christopher Guest's name on the billing. He's the guy behind Best In Show, Waiting For Guffman, A Mighty Wind, and one of the major creative forces in This Is Spinal Tap. I see a new Christopher Guest movie coming out, I'm going to make sure my *** is in that movie seat.[/QUOTE]
Get out of my head. Those were two I was going to mention =O

Jason Statham's another one, though that's mainly on account of Snatch.

Clint Eastwood's one, as someone already mentioned here. I've been in love with his movies, old and new, for a while now. I love his westerns, but also the movies he's been involved with later on in life.

[Quote="Lore"]
I do remember girls in my class being utterly enthralled with everything Jonathan Taylor Thomas did, years back. Come to think of it, I haven't heard anything about him since Titanic thrust Leo DeCaprio into the hearts of middle-schoolers everywhere. Whatever happened to him?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Generic NPC #3']He disappeared once he passed puberty and all the girls realized they had a deeper voice than he did.[/quote]
[SIZE=1]I [i]love[/i] [b]Drew Barrymore[/b]'s movies for some reason. I think she is a very talented actress, especially for the fact that she does not fit the stereotypical barbie figure. I still find her attractive. I also like [b]Jessica Alba, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston and Ben Stiller[/b]. Just to name a few. There isn't anyone I'd really not see, but there are some singers out there that should just never act like [i]Jessica Simpson and Britney Spears[/i]. It's just really bad acting and ends up being cheesy.[/SIZE]

I tend not to go to movies for the actors and such. It's just the movie itself and how it sounds that catches me. Then again, I watch a lot of movies I'm not even interested in just to get a feel for other genres I don't really have a taste for. But I am guilty for going to a movie with [b]Tim Burton[/b] involved. Just his name in a film will get me thrilled. Otherwise, no one else catches my fancy.

Let's see here: Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, Adam Sandler, Christian Bale, Jackie Chan, Will Smith, Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Kristin Kreuk (she's not in any movies, but if she was, I'd be there in a second :animenose ), and that's all I can think of now.

[color=darkslateblue] I [strike]like[/strike] love two actors that make me get in the movie theatre: [b]Ewan McGregor[/b] and [b]Edward Norton[/b]. They are the two guys that make me watch their movies no matter what. Fortunately, none of the movie they're in are too horrendous. And anything Edward Norton stars in as a main characer is worth watching just because of the movie itself (yeah, Edward Norton pwns Fight Club, not Brad Pitt).

Other actors that intrigue me are [b]Will Smith[/b] and [b]Matt Damon[/b], because I really like them for some odd reason.[b]Tim Robbins[/b] also makes me watch movies as well, because I love him as an actor.

As for directors... [b]Tim Burton[/b] and [b]Clint Eastwood[/b] are must-see movies for me. Anything Tim Burton touched turns into gold, yeah? Except maybe Planet of the Apes. Dear God, I hated that movie. [b]Baz Luhrman[/b] is also another director I love, simply because he made Moulin Rouge!. :)

[/color]

I [i]do[/i] remember girls in my class being utterly enthralled with everything Jonathan Taylor Thomas did, years back. Come to think of it, I haven't heard anything about him since [i]Titanic[/i] thrust Leo DeCaprio into the hearts of middle-schoolers everywhere. Whatever happened to him? [/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Blue]
He tried to get an Oscar for "The Aviator." I heard that movie was horrbile.

BTW, I don't like your signature. I find it insulting.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]