OtakuBoards

The best Manga company?

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
What's the best manga company? I want you to vote on it...I'll tell you the manga companies and something they published to help you out. You can also vote for one not on here.

Viz/SJ:Naruto

Viz/SB:Godchild

Viz/Action:Inuyasha

Newer Viz: Di Gi Charat

Older Viz:Ranma 1/2

DelRey:Gundam Seed

Tokyo Pop: .hack//legend of the twilight

Dark Horse:Berserk

Archie:Sonic

Japanime:How to draw Manga

ADV:Azumanga Daioh

Top Cow: G-Force, Battle of the planets

Well, there you go, if you have any other manga companies you know about please tell me or vote on them.

The Viz brands don't need to be kept separate. They all clearly fall under the Viz umbrella anyway. It might be wise to separate CPM from Be Beautiful, though, and possibly Tokyopop from Blu (not that the latter is really a factor at this point). One or two others you missed...

[B]CMX:[/B] From Eroica With Love, Swan, Tenjho Tenge
[B]
DMP:[/B] Only the Ring Finger Knows, Yellow, Desire
[B]
Be Beautiful [CPM]:[/B] Embracing Love [Haru wo Daiteita], Kizuna, Finder

[B]Broccoli: [/B] Until the Full Moon, Aquarian Age: Juvenile Orion, Kamui

Also, isn't Di Gi Charat published by Broccoli?

My favorite manga company would probably have to be [b]DMP[/b]--or, more specifically, their Yaoi Manga imprint (although they've licensed at most one or two non-BL series, and both are on hold, so the difference is negligible). Their translations are written solidly, and their product quality is vastly superior to that of most other companies, Broccoli excepted... but Broccoli doesn't hold the license to any series I'm interested in, so DMP has the advantage there.

DMP is an extremely fan-friendly company, and they do stuff that makes me happy--like licensing the original Only the Ring Finger Knows novels and Il Gato Sul G (G-senjou no Neko). They're my brightest hope for quite a few other niche BL titles.

I have lost a lot of respect for [b]Viz[/b] due to their haphazard censorship--and, well, the fact that they're censoring their manga at all. I think [b]CMX[/b] is the scum of the earth for what they did to Tenjho Tenge, but I am forced to concede that they've treated From Eroica With Love beautifully and have also gone where few other companies dare to tread (the realm of old-school shoujo). [b]CPM[/b] isn't any better for how they've edited their adult BL series... if the content makes you that fearful of a lawsuit, just don't license it to begin with.

[B]Tokyopop[/B] sometimes puts out pretty shoddy-looking books, but at least they usually refrain from visual censorship. Inexplicable dialogue re-writes, on the other hand... :animesigh

~Dagger~

Guest ShonenSamuraiMugen
Wow, they were good with making you the Site Administrator! DiGi Charat is from Viz, though. Any one else gonna vote or is that the end of this thread? :animeswea

Here's another new company to keep an eye on: [b][url=http://www.gocomi.com/][u]Go! Comi[/u][/url][/b]. They've only licensed four or five titles so far, but all of them seem to be interesting. Personally, I'm most intrigued by [url=http://www.gocomi.com/series/cantarella/][u]Cantarella[/u][/url]. It's by the manga-ka behind Seimaden, which I hated, but I've been assured that Cantarella is quite different and therefore much better.

I love the manga trailers they have posted on their site... I definitely wouldn't have considered buying Cantarella if I hadn't taken a few seconds to see the promo. Be sure to turn the music on when you're watching one of these--it adds a lot. I believe Tokyopop has put together something similar for select titles, but it looks as if Go! Comi will eventually post a trailer for everything in their catalogue.

About Di Gi Charat: I think what Broccoli has the license to is called Di Gi Charat [i]Theater[/i]. How confusing. :animeswea

~Dagger~

Hmm, this is a difficult one.

I hold allegiance to Shonen Jump, for Naruto, One Piece, and Rurouni Kenshin. I've always liked Shonen Jump, and it was arguably the first company that introducted me to Manga, waaay back in the day when a friend showed me one of their huge comic book. Plus, I like Rurouni kenshine and Naruto, and of course One Piece, so much, I'd have to put my back behind them. At the same time, they seem to release really kiddy and juvenile stuff that doesn't interest me. No, I'm not singling out Hikaru no Go...there was another as well.

I thought of Tokyopop as my worst enemy. Then I realized they published one of my most beloved manga of all. .Hack. I'm a big, really big .Hack fan. //Legend of the Twilight I have reread over and over again, and I have a great collection of .Hack music on my computer, which I happen to be listening to now. I like this so much my support for Tokyopop must equal my support for Shonen Jump.

So there you have it.

~RtT

• 2 weeks later...
Guest maichips
Id say DelRey and Viz rule it... Though Tokyopop has a lot of series, the quality isn't that great... And plus, Viz is publishing Death Note! ^_^

TokyoPop is one of the most well known out there, and most of my limited collection is from them. However, Shojo Beat does a good job too, even though I've only read Ouran High School Host Club.

DelRey is great too, thanks to them we have xxxHOLIC and Tsubasa. Viz is fine by my book too.

I haven't read much from Shonen Jump, but they did a great job with Naruto. No complaints over here. Yu Yu Hakusho too, no complaints.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kite1989
I'm splet between Viz, ADV, and TokyoPop. They all have really good animes that i like, but if I have to decide it would have to be TokyoPop, because I have more of their manga.

This is a pretty hard question to answer. I love pretty much all anime and manga alike. I would have to choose two. It would be a tie between Shonen Jump and Tokyo Pop.

Shonen Jump has always been my favorite. I love Naruto, One Piece, and Rorouni Kenshin. I kind of lost a lot of my respect with them a little when they had those crappy cencored episodes air on T.V. I'm just ahppy they're coming out with the uncut dvd's soon.

Tokyo Pop is another one of my all time favorites. I,ve always loved it for .Hack and Saiyuki. I think they are a little less impresive than Shonen Jump, but I'm still a loyal fan of them.

Guest Warmaster
Dark Horse makes the highest quality comics. TokyoPop is the best about being timely, even though their quality falls just above newspaper. I have very much started to dislike Viz for what they did with the Neon Genesis Evangelion manga. It's 9 volumes. They released 7 in one format, the 8th in another, and then re-released 1-7 in this new format. I have been waiting for SOME form of volume 9 to come out for well over a year -_-

Guest gothotaku06
I don't like Viz because they censor! I think they've done horrible things to the Inuyasha manga, and because of them, I can't stand to look at it! On the other hand I think Tokyopop is cool but they need to work on their dialouges better. I've seen spelling and grammar errors in their books.

That's my two cents! :D

[QUOTE=gothotaku06]I don't like Viz because they censor! I think they've done horrible things to the Inuyasha manga, and because of them, I can't stand to look at it! On the other hand I think Tokyopop is cool but they need to work on their dialouges better. I've seen spelling and grammar errors in their books.

That's my two cents! :D[/QUOTE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]Does VIZ really do that??? So far what I've read in other mangas like RuroKen, they didn't censor anything out... or so I think...

Anyways, I think that the best manga company is Tokyopop hands down. So far what I've seen is that they do a really good job on the mangas that they've brought here, but, maybe they could just work on their displays a little, no?? [/COLOR] [/FONT] :catgirl:

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Hey, everyone![/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo]I really like both publishers, Viz and Tokyopop both have pros and cons! I love Tokyopop because they do the right-to-left format good, even tho' Viz do too, but... Viz gave me soooo much too! Fushigi Yuugi, Hot Gimmick, Hana Yori Dango etc. etc. etc.!!! All in all, coz Tokyopop uses honorifics and good, unchanged, original Japanese names I like it that extra bit more! ^^[/COLOR]