OtakuBoards

Why Anime grabs you?

Guest gooase719

I concur on the point SayianPrincess made earlier; the art style and story structure are far more in depth and eloquent that anything made here in the States.

Besides, anime doesn't necessarily have the same stigma that American Animation has. It's not just kid's stuff. In fact, there are several series that I would never show my little brother at this point--they're far too mature/bloody/psychologically deep that he'd never get passed that.

I admit, I did get into anime when it was fast becoming a craze, but I like to think that I've surpassed the blindly obsessed otaku stage. I now don't look for merely pretty graphics or character designs. I look at the characters and stories themselves.

As an aspiring writer, I like anime because you can find characters from about every archtype in it. In my mind, it's a far more diverse genre than any live action show you see on TV. Sitcoms and the like.

And the plot is complex, though as a writer I find myself nodding at several favored series in the process of my writing. I also admit that it stifles my originality a bit. :animeswea

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkred]One thing that draws me to anime is I love being able to get out of the here and now. The worlds most animes are set in almost immerse you in them. You long for them and feel almost like you belong there. Me personally I love that feeling, I love being able to get away from reality. This is also Why I like RPG's so much. American Cartoons just seem to be plastic so to say,[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial][size=1][color=darkred]The is also much more variety and originality availible in anime. You can have a show with serious dark themes, or a show thats about cats. In anime it seems like they are more accepting and willing to take risks, and write about things normal society would shun.Anime/manga does a better job in conveying emotion as well as characters and worlds in my eyes lol.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Stark']I concur on the point SayianPrincess made earlier; the art style and story structure are far more in depth and eloquent that anything made here in the States.[/quote]

I like anime more than American cartoons in general, but a few American cartoons I've seen are up there with the best anime in terms of animation and writing. In particular, the story structure in Justice League Unlimited is more-or-less on par with Stand Alone Complex (perhaps above due to the fact of being more comprehensible while still mantaining a high level of complexity), and artistically I'd be pushed to think of a TV anime with better animation direction than Avatar: The Last Airbender.

As for why I like anime, I pretty much watch it simply because it stands out from the majority of American films and TV shows. There are overlap points (i.e. Bebop feels more American, Samurai Jack feels more Japanese), and different doesn't mean "better" or "worse", but the distinctions and overlaps are interesting from a film study perspective, and interesting enough to draw me into the art and plots of the better animes.

In all honesty the thing about anime that truly grabbed me was the complexity of the more well thought out animes... A great example of that would be the anime Serial Experiments Lain and the other one by the same company that I can't spell... However, some anime does seem to be a little drab and cliche such as the ones that have excessive violence and gore in almost every scene... The point is however, that anime grabbed me because it's not stupid like the stuff us americans have on TV. Over there in the asian continent and other countries surrounding it, whoever makes/creates/draws/animates anime doesn't have to worry about some organization cracking down on everything they do, which is why they can make more complex and more enjoyable shows... Not to mention the hot anime babes. :animeknow

[quote name='Weaver_Karuko']Over there in the asian continent and other countries surrounding it, whoever makes/creates/draws/animates anime doesn't have to worry about some organization cracking down on everything they do, which is why they can make more complex and more enjoyable shows...[/quote]

Sadly, some of the most enjoyable shows to have ever come out of Japan HAVE been cracked down by some organization at some point. EVA had to make a new TV finalle because their original didn't get by the censors. Utena got several complaint letters from parents. Cowboy Bebop only got to air 12 episodes. Even ultramegahits like Gundam SEED and Fullmetal Alchemist were the causes of controversy in Japan.

And yet each year the line between televised "ecchi" and hentai blurs even more and more. :rolleyes:

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']And yet each year the line between televised "ecchi" and hentai blurs even more and more. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Well... that doesn't go totally contrary to what you were saying earlier, though. Eva, SEED, FMA and Utena (I think) were given prime-time slots, whereas most super-ecchi shows air very very late at night and clearly target a much older audience.

And honestly, I couldn't blame parents for complaining about Utena, haha.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']And honestly, I couldn't blame parents for complaining about Utena, haha.[/quote]

Me neither. I'm just trying to show that Japan has censorship like America does, only not as much. Censorship and controversy isn't always a bad thing, and usually there is a good reason for it. I was just pointing out it's existence, not an opinion on it (outside of my distaste for "ecchentai", as I'm starting to call it).

But I think we can all agree there was no purpose for banning over half of Cowboy Bebop, especially since one of the few episodes they did air was Jupiter Jazz and not only does that episode have some of the most violence and sexual themes of any episode in the series, but without Ballad of Fallen Angels and The Real Folk Blues surrounding it the two-parter would make no sense to people who didn't buy the OAV/wait patiently for airings on WOWOW/Adult Swim.

Guest Banryu Rose
[quote name='inuyasha2']why anime grabs me is because its cool and it connects on my own life in most of the ways and here are some of the anime i like: ikki tousen,Blood the last vampire,inuyasha,Ghost in the shell,vampire D hunter,Mouse,Elfen lied,and others i cant think of rite now :animeswea But i love Elfen Lied the most! :animenose[/quote]

I like anime because it's a lot like real life,for example we all know that people with fans that can control wind and swords that produce lightning with one wave,although it would be cool,but a long long time ago people probably did,but relize that alot of those charaters go through alot of what teens today go through such as new relationships :animeblus ,lots of changes :animecry: ,like moving and going to highschool :animestun .that's why i say that anime is the key to the fabrick of time and reality,because it is so very close to real life.My favorte anime is Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Gundam Seed and S-cry-Ed,plus some that are lost some where in my head.Basically to me anime is starting to get better and more exciting with eah new series.Anime is boss yo! :cool:

Guest Momomiya Ichigo
I watch anime because...well...who needs a reason? I guess if I really had to give one, I'd say because it's different. Let me elaborate what [B]I[/B] mean when I say [I]different[/I]. When you watch MOST and I say [I]MOST[/I], not all American shows, all you see if a group of characters chasing each other and blowing each other up and stuff like that. It's funny for a moment but after a while, you get tired of it. Anime is diverse. It has substance (most anyway). It has a well thought out plot, romance, action, angst. It's not just a cat chasing a bird of three friends trying to avoid girls or growing up or whatnot.

And for me, it's something to get excited, [I]passionate[/I] about. I yell at the television, scream, get angry. When watching anime, I [I]cry[/I] and people think that's strange but with anime, it's [I]not[/I] because anime has enough substance in it to make it emotional despite it being a form of animation.

That's why I watch anime. That's why I love anime. It's just...exquisite.

Why anime grabs me? Hmmmm. That is a good question.

Theres just something about anime that takes my mind off the world. I feel like I've found my place when I watch anime. I just watch it, and I'm there. I can always find a charature that I would be if I was in that anime.

I can some times feel whats going on in animes. Like major heart break, or unbearble pain.

It also gives me an edge on real life situations. I can predict whats going to happen with a couple and tell you where I have the baces of my prediction. And I'm usaly right 95% of the time.
It also gives me the feeling that I'm smarter then people, becuase I'm watching (and reading) what people from another country enjoy.

I can rable about this all night, but I'm quiting for tonight. But this also brings up why I go to sites like this. Ever since I've started to watch anime, no one at school understands me anymore, but I started to go online and found people ,like everyone here, that understood why I watch anime like I do.

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Indigo]hMMM this is a HARd question!! i don't know why i like anime??? i have always liked it since i was younger over other "normal cartoons" as our nonanime liking friends would say.. i think it might be because of the difference in culture, because i used ot have a facination for japanese. its also because of the different storylines and the way it veers from the usual reality of things without actully leaving reality, its different and i am attracted to difference. most have action that makes you just want to get up and go. And then theres the cute guys in it which totally! makes it worth while and some animes have hidden themes that makes the plot even more interesting because of the good message behind all the other "stuff".. thats just my opinion^.^ its the first thing that came to mind hmmm so yea!~.~ tootles for now!!! long live anime!!!!! woo hoo!! :animenose[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
one of the things that attarcts me 2 anime is the art its sooooooooo cool and it looks so simple except when u try 2 draw it u rarely succeed unless u're a really good drawer
another reason is because unlike other cartoons its actually makes sense and often the small problems are solved usually by the end of the episode and plus it actually has a plot...cause some cartoon shows r just random adventures of the main character

those r some of the reasons others well i'm not really sure why i like anime i just do the only reasons that actually make sense r the two i've said above :catgirl:

Guest Observing Soul
Anime world is often like a dream where out dreams and nightmares become reality. That and I just enjoy anime as it is. I love all sorts of anime except the case where there is virtually no distinction between men and women. Those kinds give me headaches.

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I fell in love with anime at first simply because of the beauty in the art and animation, and i still love it for that. Anime has quality unlike most of the other junky cartoons out there.

The characters are well thought out and to me it feels like alot of time and effort has been poured into the creation of the personalities etc of a character, unlike the cartoons on, say cartoon network *shudders* (sorry if any1 reading this does actually like the cartoons on cartoon network) that look like they were quickly scribbled on a scrap bit of paper whilst driving over a pothole riddled road.

Another thing i love about anime is the plot.....and the fact that there is actually a plot. And (this is something that drives me to the point of insanity) characters that are hit by oncoming cars or falling pianos in an anime would probably tend to STAY dead. I no that in fantasy or mecha type animes the characters may go through alot and not die but they do show signs of weakness or pain or SOMETHING!!.....sorry lol but it really does annoy me in cartoons like edd ed and eddy (my most hated cartoon, sorry again if u do like it) when characters are squashed by a house and then get up and walk :mad:

so there you go, a few reasons why i fell in love with anime :catgirl: [/FONT] [/COLOR]

Guest kuroinuyoukai
I watch anime because of the detail that these artists use and for the beautiful men on theses shows. Not only are the women pretty-but so are the men! Anime also has real issues in it-death, love, murder,etc. It's not just silly, stupid crap olike some cartoons! :catgirl:

To EVA Unit 100-

You know what- you are absolutely right! :catgirl:

Guest Kyukou Izumaki
Thats easy. Anime is what makes tv and books great. Without anime there would be no "good stuff to watch on tv" or "good stuff to read". Anime is the greatest art and its a lot better animated than that Spongebob or Tweety b.s. I think that anime is so awesome because it gives you kick a** storylines and keeps you wanting more and the way it looks alone makes it great! I hope I helped you out. Anime till I die!!!

I watch anime as an escape from reality. I am a man of scientific therory, so to see a world so drastically beyond the realm of ours is amazing to me and it allows me to feel a type of uphoria I couldn't explain to you. I am also very lonely, so some of that corney romance comforts me just alittle (Yeah, go ahead and laugh). Anyway, that's more or less why I'm drawn to anime, it makes my life seem better.

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]What attracts me to anime? Well...

1) I love the art of anime unlike the other
"cartoons" on

2) It was so different from anything I'd ever
seen before, so that kinda attracted me.

3) And probably because....I guess all I
can say is that I really like it :animeswea [/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Guest Doomberg
[COLOR=DarkRed]I think that we all can agree on one thing we love the beautiful artwork i knowI do. another thing i like is the the vast plotlines in animes.almost evry anime ive seen there is a deep storyline and even some have eastereggs[gamer talk for secret messeges or deeper unseenstory plots or messeges.[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Doomberg][COLOR=DarkRed']I think that we all can agree on one thing we love the beautiful artwork i knowI do. another thing i like is the the vast plotlines in animes.almost evry anime ive seen there is a deep storyline and even some have eastereggs[gamer talk for secret messeges or deeper unseenstory plots or messeges.[/COLOR][/quote]

I agree! I love the artwork and I love the depth of each story. Anime is so different from American animation. The effort and quality that go into one episode of Samurai Champloo seems to completely surpass the entire run of, say Hey Arnold or Rugrats. A single episode of a Japanese anime seems to have the quality of an entire american animated feature film.