OtakuBoards

Why Anime grabs you?

Guest gooase719

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ominous-aura']I agree! I love the artwork and I love the depth of each story. Anime is so different from American animation. The effort and quality that go into one episode of Samurai Champloo seems to completely surpass the entire run of, say Hey Arnold or Rugrats. A single episode of a Japanese anime seems to have the quality of an entire american animated feature film.[/quote]

Miyazaki himself admits that Pixar is better than any other animation studio except his own, Aardman, and Production I.G.

Please name one anime series that doesn't end with "Alchemist", "Bebop", "Shell", "Agent", or "Basket" where a single episode can match a good Pixar movie. Seriously.

[QUOTE=nomad19]it's the action and the visuals....

anime is your alternative source for live action and cartoons....it's easy on the eyes without the childish cartoon ways...:D[/QUOTE]

I didn't understand that last sentence. What does anime have to do with being "an alernate source for live-action"? I think you meant "an alernative to live-action".

[QUOTE=EVA Unit 100]Miyazaki himself admits that Pixar is better than any other animation studio except his own, Aardman, and Production I.G.

Please name one anime series that doesn't end with "Alchemist", "Bebop", "Shell", "Agent", or "Basket" where a single episode can match a good Pixar movie. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

That's true about Pixar. But still, Pixar, along with Disney and Dreamworks, produce high quality movies. I'd like to see Pixar or Dreamworks put together a series that airs once per week. Then we can start comparing them to anime shows.

Guest Lover of Miroku
[COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS]What draws me into anime is the art work, and the strong independent charicters. When I look at anime I don' t see a silly little cartoon as some do, but I see it as a live action movie. the charicters are just as real maybe even more so. what drew me into anime the first time was my connection with the charicters main or supporting.

Touching moment there :animecry:

I'll be al right now :animesigh

:animeswea Sorry if I put you to sleep. :sleep:

:rolleyes: I know I write too much it's a bad habit :catgirl: [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=EVA Unit 100]Miyazaki himself admits that Pixar is better than any other animation studio except his own, Aardman, and Production I.G.

Please name one anime series that doesn't end with "Alchemist", "Bebop", "Shell", "Agent", or "Basket" where a single episode can match a good Pixar movie. Seriously.[/QUOTE]
Tenjo tenge, there I win... :D
those are done with computers mostly I like what is more hand drawn anyway.
dont get me wrong though I do enjoy alot of things from pixar, I just like how anime better when its more hand drawn. :p

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=1]What attracts me to watch anime? A number of things.

1.) The artwork. Not just in anime, now that I think about it, but in a lot of animated television shows. I have nothing but the upmost respect and admiration for those who have the talents to draw extremely well and I take pleasure in watching it and thinking of the process it takes from pencil on paper to television.
2.)Anime is usually much deeper with more mature-related themes then what may show on Nickelodeon. Nothing against Nickelodeon, as I used to watch it whenever I was younger, but I've grown up (Hence the urge to watch something more grown up.)
3.)I watch because I can relate to it more. No, I cannot relate to a ninja saving the world, but I can to more of the internal conflicts the a lot of main characters, in any anime, deal with.
4.)It is just fun to imagine and daydream, "What if I was in *insert character's name*'s shoes." I think humans in general like to think about themeselves having magical powers or heightened abilities.

I could probably go on, but I don't want to become too repetitive, so I will leave this as is. Nice question, by the way.[/size]
[/font]

[QUOTE=Ryan][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=1]What attracts me to watch anime? A number of things.

1.) The artwork. Not just in anime, now that I think about it, but in a lot of animated television shows. I have nothing but the upmost respect and admiration for those who have the talents to draw extremely well and I take pleasure in watching it and thinking of the process it takes from pencil on paper to television.
2.)Anime is usually much deeper with more mature-related themes then what may show on Nickelodeon. Nothing against Nickelodeon, as I used to watch it whenever I was younger, but I've grown up (Hence the urge to watch something more grown up.)
3.)I watch because I can relate to it more. No, I cannot relate to a ninja saving the world, but I can to more of the internal conflicts the a lot of main characters, in any anime, deal with.
4.)It is just fun to imagine and daydream, "What if I was in *insert character's name*'s shoes." I think humans in general like to think about themeselves having magical powers or heightened abilities.

I could probably go on, but I don't want to become too repetitive, so I will leave this as is. Nice question, by the way.[/size]
[/font][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]Very nice quote, Ryan. I totally agree with you when you said you can relate, but not to the part where a ninja saves the world. :animesmil Although, wouldn't that be cool if you could relate? You'd see that episode, and say, "That reminds me of when I saved the world just yesterday!" Lol, stupid my thoughts are, I know. [/COLOR] [/FONT] :animesmil :animeswea
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
[COLOR=Navy]Anyways, the things that attract me to anime is the realness and unrealness between them. Like, there are things where you can relate to and things that you know the aren't real, but wish they were. Like, watching FMA, some of the things that Ed and Al do and say, that if I were in that type of situation, then, I would probably do some of the same things that they do. And the unrealness that anime gives me to wish that I, also, could do those types of things that they do but we can't. Like, being the chosen one and only you could save the world, or being a samurai and living in the past Meji Era. Whatever you wish was real, in the end, you actually want to do some of those things because it seems so interesting, you know??[/COLOR] [/FONT] :D :animesmil

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]Another reason why is because of the story line, the characters and the artwork. If I can get into the story or the plot just makes me feel how it should, then that would make me stick to watching the anime. Also, the action and some drama that always keeps you guessing! I really like when an episode ends and you have to wait for the next one. It's really annoying when it's at a good part and it ends, but hey, that anime just made a new fan in itself, no?[/COLOR] [/FONT] :animesmil

Guest Tiarathica
What I look for in Anime and what attracts it to me is that, if it has decent graphics, adn has awesome special effects to it and if it has a hero and a girl that protects one another in the shows.

Take Gundam Wing as an example. ^^

Herro and Realina(Don't know the exact spelling of her name) they protect each other when they really get to know each other.

And another thing, take Zoids as another example, I love it how they upgraded the Zoids, and fought each other, so awesome!

[font=trebuchet ms][size=2][color=purple]
Why? Why, they ask me.
Well, the American cartoons are so fill of crud; they have no story line or plot; they have no sequencial order; the graphics a terrible and there's no shading and lighting difference.
Whereas anime, there's a story line; the graphics are excellent and they're jus plain cool.
With anime, you miss one episode, you might not understand what happens in the next one while as in cartoons, you can miss 50 of them and you'll still understand.
Cartoons don't require you to think much either. With anime, you get all worked up and you think ahead, trying to figure out who the bad guy is, what's gonna happend next, who's gonna die, that kind of thing.
[/color][/size][/font]

Hmm... The only reason I watch anime is because I find them more exciting than most movies. (Kind of sad because I've only enjoyed about maybe 3-5 movies that came out this year... and the only tv shows I watch are Friends, Joey, and Whose Line is it Anyway... so yea) Also the animes I watch makes up for the action in movies I don't get.

About American cartoons.... "shrugs" If it's not Spider-Man or X-Men (90's version) I won't watch it. I do believe anime is better than regular cartoons... (I've grown out of Scooby Doo and Bugs Bunny... but every once in a while I may watch em.) Never cared for Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy.....

About American comics.... IMO comics are better than mangas... I grew up on Marvel comics so maybe this is a little bias but "shrugs" They have all that I'm looking for. (Action) Sure they may lack in the storyline department but I couldn't careless.

Guest Tucker |>4 |337
HEY! Don't knock Family Guy! That is one of the only shows I can watch!
It's against my own will partially because I don't have any acsess to any anime. My supply got cut off DUDES! :animeangr

Guest darkruler
anime grabs me because of the action and when in real life are u going to see something so ridiculous as a perverted guy seeing some kinky stuff and getting a massive bloddy knows

[QUOTE=Metal Paw][font=trebuchet ms][size=2][color=purple]
Why? Why, they ask me.
Well, the American cartoons are so fill of crud; they have no story line or plot; they have no sequencial order; the graphics a terrible and there's no shading and lighting difference.
Whereas anime, there's a story line; the graphics are excellent and they're jus plain cool.
With anime, you miss one episode, you might not understand what happens in the next one while as in cartoons, you can miss 50 of them and you'll still understand.
Cartoons don't require you to think much either. With anime, you get all worked up and you think ahead, trying to figure out who the bad guy is, what's gonna happend next, who's gonna die, that kind of thing.
[/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Watch Justice League Unlimited. It has a really complicated storyline with a sequential order (albiet with a lot of filler, but lots of animes have that with the exception of Fullmetal Alchemist), beautiful animation with amazing shading and lighting effects, and really causes you to think (I got surprised and even a bit confused at a few points in the series, and I generally can predict animes pretty well).

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']Watch Justice League Unlimited. It has a really complicated storyline with a sequential order (albiet with a lot of filler, but lots of animes have that with the exception of Fullmetal Alchemist), beautiful animation with amazing shading and lighting effects, and really causes you to think (I got surprised and even a bit confused at a few points in the series, and I generally can predict animes pretty well).[/quote][font=trebuchet ms][size=2][color=purple]Really? Ok, I'll give it a go.[/color][/size][/font]

Guest Banryu Rose
Basically we all like anime because it's how we are,it's what we do anime relates to all of us in some way.Anime is our heart and soul,we eat, sleep, and breathe anime simply because we love it! :D

[quote name='Metal Paw][font=trebuchet ms][size=2][color=purple]Really? Ok, I'll give it a go.[/color][/size'][/font][/quote]

Unfortunately it's currently off the air and there are only two DVD releases of it (one of which has some good episodes, but there's only 3 per disc). Luckily season sets will be coming out sometime either next year or the year after that and you can probably find some episodes online.

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']Unfortunately it's currently off the air and there are only two DVD releases of it (one of which has some good episodes, but there's only 3 per disc). Luckily season sets will be coming out sometime either next year or the year after that and you can probably find some episodes online.[/quote][font=trebuchet ms][size=2][color=purple]Oh...ok...cool. I'll see if I can find someone who has them and watch them and if I like, I'll buy. But, yeah, anime usually only comes with three on a disc.[/color][/size][/font]