Sara Posted November 7, 2005 Posted November 7, 2005 [color=#333333][url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=50186]This thread[/url] in the Suggestions forum got me thinking about smilies. (The specific thought was along the lines of "Smilies! I can MAKE smilies!") So... I made some. These are smallish, with the faces being 13x13 pixels. They're different colors, some animated (some not), some cute, some ugly, and just generally the product of avoiding homework late last night. I'm not really looking for feedback (though I won't say nay to it), but I would like to see smilies that anyone else has made. Because let's face it: they're small, they're cute, and they're simple. Let's hear it for smilies! If you have never made any, this would be an excellent time to start. Any size, color, or style, as long as you made them. Here are some of mine: [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/A_love1_pink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/A_talk_yellow.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/A_o_0_blue.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/X_happy_purple.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/x_happynerd_orange.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/x_sadnerd_blue.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/x_pirate_green.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/A_laugh_yellow.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/x_sleazysmirk_yellow.gif[/img] [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/A_sleep_blue.gif[/img] and the cutest sneezing smiley ever: [img]http://www.boomspeed.com/omegareh/A_sneeze_yellow.gif[/img][/color]
AzureWolf Posted November 7, 2005 Posted November 7, 2005 [COLOR=teal]Awww! They are absolutely adorable! You have the ever-indelible O_o smiley! A graphical version of it! Finally! Now it can stay in our hearts forever! *recomposes his strong, very very masculine self* Ahem. So, yeah, they are very cute - cuter than most smilies. They do seem a bit faded, however. Aside from that, all of them are usable. I've actually started working on smilies myself (no surprise to you, heh). I tried making a O_o smiley, but it didn't come out quite as will as yours. See? [IMG]http://home.earthlink.net/~azurwolf/images/O_o.gif[/IMG] But that doesn't mean I'm quitting! I will keep trying! lol[/COLOR]
John Posted November 8, 2005 Posted November 8, 2005 I've been wanting to make smileys, along with various other GIFlious animations. I swear I've searched the internet backwards and forwards, but I haven't found a proper program for free (and for Mac). What're you using?
Hevn Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 Those two front teeth are hideous! Kidding! They'd be IRL though. I actually adore them. The colors are so cute and that is indeed the cutest sneezing smiley ever *prods it*. I hope these can be added to the OB smilies. ^_^ I tired making an animated o_O smiley once but then I got tired of doing more. I'm afraid a smiley is not a smiley if it is a lone smiley. :(
Boo Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [size=1]I made some. First a line of done standard smileys as examples and then some smiley backgrounds. I'll make some animated ones later, but right now I noticed my Animation Shop 3 is not working correctly -.-' [img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24718&stc=1[/IMG] [b]PS:[/b] I stole your type of signature, just because. [/size]
James Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [font=franklin gothic medium]These smilies are brilliant, Sara. Perhaps I should actually hold a competition to decide who should design our new smilies. These ones just need a little more contrast between light and dark, but otherwise they are awesome.[/font]
Desbreko Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [color=#4B0082]I've made a few, mainly just out of boredom. Though I have been thinking of trying my hand at a "Des kicking Shin in the nads" smiley, after Gavin suggested it in that thread. The SMB3 palm tree and the chocobo were obviously adapted from game sprites, but it took some editing to get them to look decent at 15x15 pixels.[/color] [img]http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/5278/smileyburglar3ez.gif[/img] [img]http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/7499/smileybloody4rq.gif[/img] [img]http://img223.exs.cx/img223/4645/smileycookie1ej.gif[/img] [img]http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2672/smileymarshmallow5kp.gif[/img] [img]http://img241.echo.cx/img241/3271/smileytriforce1lr.gif[/img] [img]http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/5284/smileychocobo8sd.gif[/img] [img]http://img38.exs.cx/img38/5195/smileysmb3palmtree8nr.gif[/img]
Sandy Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 Oh yeah, I never understood why in Super Mario Bros 3 the palm trees curtseyed instead of swayed... 8/ Sara's smilies are a bit too bright for my taste, it's pretty hard to see the details, and the poison green one hurts my eyes. X/ But sure, new smilies would be a welcome refreshment for these boards. ;D
Sara Posted November 9, 2005 Author Posted November 9, 2005 [color=3333333]Hm, are they really that hard to see? They look just fine to me. Maybe I should change my screen settings. John, I use Photoshop Elements for animating things. Not free (though only about 100 dollars, and just as good as Photoshop for all but professional publishing, so if you're looking to buy a program...) Heh, Hevn. I agree, the front teeth ones are ugly. But they're ugly in a very endearing way! I want to make more of those. Des, is that supposed to be an executioner smiley? o0[/color]
Semjaza Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 I think if you can't make out Sara's you need a better monitor. Perhaps the colors don't contrast enough, but they're certainly clear lol. Either way, they probably show up differently between Macs and PCs anyway... so that may explain it. I don't expect anyone to know what this is in reference to and I don't really feel like explaining it. If you've seen it or the original, then you know what it's about. Essentially I took the original, non-animated, smily sax guy and made him sad and crying. It's the only one I ever made. [IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24719&stc=1[/IMG]
Katana Posted November 9, 2005 Posted November 9, 2005 [size=1][color=royalblue]Wow, these are all neat. I think I'm gonna steal the sad saxamaphonists and show it to my friend. :3 And that is the cutest sneezing smile one has ever seen. Teh cutness shall SUCK OUT YOUR SOUL! ... *gets shot* ... And because I have NEVER made anything animated before, these are a little weird and not too great. But it's my first crack at smiles. But I love the ^_^ one. XD [img]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3640/obsmile4wt.gif[/img] [img]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3633/obsmile24xa.gif[/img] Crap, I forgot about that white background...[/color][/size]
John Posted November 10, 2005 Posted November 10, 2005 As it would turn out, I seem to have had ImageReady (among pretty much everything else Adobe) already on my laptop (school-issued), and have since school started. O_O It was [i]right there[/i], man, and I had [i]no idea![/i] But yeah, when I get a chance I'll probably run through a built-in tutorial or two and get started on something. >=D
Desbreko Posted November 11, 2005 Posted November 11, 2005 [quote name='Lore][color=3333333']Des, is that supposed to be an executioner smiley? o0[/color][/quote][color=#4B0082]Heh, no, that's meant to be a burglar. (Smirking as he makes off with the loot and all.) If I were to do an executioner smiley it would have the full face hood and look somewhat more sinister. It would probably also be holding an axe. Hmm ... ideas. I might have to do more of these.[/color]
Guest kuroinuyoukai Posted November 16, 2005 Posted November 16, 2005 [QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]Heh, no, that's meant to be a burglar. (Smirking as he makes off with the loot and all.) If I were to do an executioner smiley it would have the full face hood and look somewhat more sinister. It would probably also be holding an axe. Hmm ... ideas. I might have to do more of these.[/color][/QUOTE] Hey we need a smily scratching his head. You know like "huh?". That way if you don't get the idea well you know...Do we have one for huh already? If so oops. :catgirl: You know,Who..that semicolon looks alot like Banana Man from Newgrounds.com. Maybe you saw the idea there. Or maybe not. Whatever. :catgirl:
John Posted November 16, 2005 Posted November 16, 2005 An idea that I got somehow at [b][url="http://sweethypocrisies.com/groupsounds/index.php"]Group Sounds[/url][/b]. It's supposed to be a semicolon, but the top dot just looks too much like a head, so it distracts from what it's supposed to be. Any solutions? EDIT: Made the end a little pointier on a reccomendation.
James Posted November 17, 2005 Posted November 17, 2005 [QUOTE=Lore][color=3333333]Hm, are they really that hard to see? They look just fine to me. Maybe I should change my screen settings. [/color][/QUOTE] [font=franklin gothic medium]They aren't hard to see, they just lack a little contrast. Although on an LCD screen, I imagine they look significantly lighter than they would on a CRT monitor. However, our existing smileys feature sharper colour contrast, so upping the contrast would probably give them a bolder look. If you were to give them a bit more definition, I'd be happy to add them. In fact, I'm thinking your job should be "official smiley creator" or something. ~_^[/font]
John Posted November 17, 2005 Posted November 17, 2005 Desbreko, you might make your burglar holding a bag of money or something, or maybe make his mask only cover his eyes. I also thought it looked like an executioner, heh.
Desbreko Posted November 20, 2005 Posted November 20, 2005 [quote name='Who?']Desbreko, you might make your burglar holding a bag of money or something, or maybe make his mask only cover his eyes. I also thought it looked like an executioner, heh.[/quote][color=#4B0082]Yeah, the original idea called for a bag with a dollar sign on it but that turned out to be more trouble than I was willing to go when I originally made it. I spent maybe five minutes on it late one night, staving off the boredom. So here's the new and improved version: [img]http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/4109/smileyburglar0mb.gif[/img][/color]
John Posted November 23, 2005 Posted November 23, 2005 Haha, I like that one a lot. ^_^ Here's a trombonist (tromboner? Trombonateer?) I made a few days ago. I tried to get some more detail on him, but to no avail. =(
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now