OtakuBoards

*ahem* Vicki is right...

renayiiq

Yeah, you know, I am right. So here it is:
I think that the person who is the creator of a thread should be able to delete undesired posts by other people in the thread. In example: my thread where I didn't ASK FOR AN OPINION, just advice on how to do what I wanted to do, some person name Boo (hey, that's my cat's name!) decided to insult me, and he/she made me pissed off to the point of where I wanted to jump through cyberspace and shank him/her. I would've rather had been able to just delete such an insulting reply (yes, trying to tell me that I am wrong is the biggest insult) instead of being so...much more like myself and telling him where to shove it. It would've been more constructive to just have been able to delete the post.

I should think it's pretty clear why we don't allow this, lol. There's just way too much potential for abuse. Why would people bother posting anything resembling a dissenting opinion (politely phrased or otherwise) if there was the chance that the OP could just arbitrarily delete it? In fact, why would they bother posting, period?

If you feel that you've been verbally attacked by another member, the best course of action is to click the "report bad post" button, as opposed to striking back. Of course, I can't guarantee that staff members will always agree with your assessment. There's a bit of a fine line involved here. :)

~Dagger~

[color=#333333]You were pretty abrasive in your first post, as well. If you don't want people to respond negatively to what you say, a better course of action would be to word your post more carefully, and perhaps politely point out that you are looking for advice on a specific topic, rather than a lecture.

If someone finds something abrasive, human nature will lead them to respond to it. Bright red text will not help this, but a polite request may. [/color]

[color=seagreen][size=1]Well, in this case I don't believe that Boo, in any form, verbally attacked anyone here. True, He was stating his opinion when you asked for none to be given, but that to me seems unfair. So, I find Boo's post to be justified, and find nothing inappropriate about it. I do agree with Lore in saying that a more polite, and less [i]aroggant[/i], wording could've avoided this problem. Also, I'd suggest watching what you say, and to try to avoid replying back with any inappropriate lashbacks.

In your first post you said "Don't argue with me, I'm always right." But sorry to say, No one is always right, and not everyone is going to argee with you. Much like how you don't agree with this "Youth of Christ" club. You're stating your opinons againest it, so why not respect any other opposing opinons? It really shouldn't be made into a big deal. That's also a matter of opinon.[/size][/color]

Welcome to message boards. Christ, people are whiny here. You put up a thread, people are going to respond to it... whether you agree with them and their methods or not. As soon as you put something up here, people are going to question it, respond to it, agree with it or beat it into the ground. No one cares what you asked for because message boards are about conversation and conversation goes where ever it pleases, really.

I don't think the original poster should be given that much control over their thread to begin with. If you want something verging on moderator abilities, I'd really just say that you should go open your own forums lol.

[size=1][color=orange]I think you just need to take a few deep breaths and calm down over this. It's not really a big deal, just two oppinions clashing against one another. You just need to shrug this off and move on with life on the boards.

I remember when I was a new member alot of the older members ticked me off a few times and sometimes said things I would have liked to delete too (Boo might have actually been one of them, but I don't remember ^^). You just have to read what they say and move on (ignore) cause getting mad right back at them just makes issues worse.

I went and read the thread that this is about and I'll just say this: If it wasn't Boo, it would have been someone else. [/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]Being able to delete posts that other people have written is just asking for abuse really, also it would probably lead to a lot of confusion if a post that someone had answered just suddenly disappeared.

Also, you aren't going to get very far with the whole "I'm right and you have no right to an opinion" kind of attitude. Honestly, the world is full of give and take.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=2][FONT=Times New Roman] :animesigh well first of all if you start out saying that your always right, like afore mentioned how DO you know that you are always right? You cant be always right unless proven so just like proofs in geometry. So basicly no one can always be right unless there is some higher power that prevents anyone from saying that they are wrong.

If you are going to go and suggest that you be able to delete some person post because YOU think that its bad. Do you think that is really fair? They are mearly giving there opinion to the question? Its like abusing there right of free speech.

If you get that mad at a person on the internet you really need to calm down. There is absolutly no way you can do anything about it than just politly ask. Why get mad over something that you have no control over? its pointless.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]If you could show me where in the rules it says people aren't allowed to post their opinions unless asked for, then I'd consider this. But, you know, that isn't in the rules, so you're out of luck. And if you ask for it to be put in, I shall laugh and tell you to go start your own forum where people have that ability, then come back and tell me how it worked out. I think you'd end up with a whole lot of threads with nothing but agreeing opinions in them.

Come off your ego trip, realize that you are [i]not[/i] infallible, and learn to deal. Oh, and have a nice day. :)[/color]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I think the first paragraph of Dagger's post sums up most of my thoughts on the subject, if members did have the right to delete threads they started just because they don't like the way it's being responded to, there'd be no point in posting replies at all. Now I remember back when we actually had this feature and although I don't recall any major abuses of it, I'd still prefer to see the back of it rather than have to see the consequences of abuse. If you want to have a thread deleted all you have to do is PM one of the Moderators and ask them to do it, of course you need a valid reason first, otherwise you tend to look like an over opinionated idiot.[/size]

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]
...if members did have the right to delete threads they started just because they don't like the way it's being responded to, there'd be no point in posting replies at all. Now I remember back when we actually had this feature and although I don't recall any major abuses of it, I'd still prefer to see the back of it rather than have to see the consequences of abuse.[/size][/QUOTE]
I believe there was at least one specific incident which lead to that right being taken away. I wasn't a mod at the time, though, and I don't remember too much about it. But basically I'm pretty sure that the thread-deleting ability was removed due to abuse.

~Dagger~

Guest kuroinuyoukai
Well I can honestly say that I have had some people argue back and forth with me in my threads.Instead of getting angry I finally just bow out. I wouldn't post a thread thinking that everyone was going to agree with me. Isn't that the whole point? To have a discussion?

If the thread starter could delete posts then opinions would be lost and the discussion would completely be one sided. I am perfectly comfortable with the mods being the only ones with that authority. If you don't want people's opinions-you might as well not start a thread or even post.

Of course this is just my opinion. Plus argung and flaming only lead to worse things. i believe that's why they have an ignore list option? COme on people-can't we just get along enough to have good discussions?

[COLOR=DarkRed]What's so great about a biased thread? Nothing. The threads I find most interesting to read would be the threads that have many different opinions. If a thread only contained posts saying, "Oh, you are right!" or, "You are never wrong," is lame and utterly boring. What is the fun in that?

Most importantly, please remove your head from your bum. Sorry, but you must learn this lesson. You are NEVER always right, and things do NOT always go your way.

If I received a quarter for everytime I got something to go my way I'd be rich. Things do not go your way hardly at all.

Also, in that thread. If you specifically stated that you wish not to hear opinions or have someone go against your thoughts and ideals, do you think that people will actually abide by your wishes? Posting a request not to do something like that is more like an invite. Just like in the tv show, Dexter's Laboritory. "Deedee! Don't press that button!! Stay out of my laboritory!!"

What does she do? She enters the laboritory and presses that button.

If you are too immature to take the criticism, simply don't post.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I so disagree with the idea that the creator of a thread should be able to delete undesirable posts within the thread. If you don?t want to hear other people?s ideas or opinions, then don?t post. If you really feel a member is being disrespectful then that?s what a moderator is for and you can contact them regarding the post that bothers you.

What?s the point of having a forum if people are constantly removing opinions or ideas they don?t agree with? This isn?t a communist forum when people can only have an opinion that matches what you want it to be.

Besides like[B] Lore[/B] said you were very abrasive in your first post. It might help if you were a bit more polite regarding your topic. I also agree with[B] Desbreko[/B] when he said, [COLOR=Indigo]?Come off your ego trip, realize that you are [I]not[/I] infallible, and learn to deal.?[/COLOR]

No one is always right, thinking that you are is in itself a mistake, and if you are insulted by that, well that?s your opinion.
[/COLOR]

[size=1]It would also seem to me like you lost the argument because all that you had to support yourself was your own opinion, and now you're just complaining about that. Thinking yourself above being wrong is one sure way to be attacked, because it's the perfect reason to take you down, lol.[/size]