OtakuBoards

Christmas Traditions

Aaryanna

[COLOR=DarkRed]I?m sure that I am not the only one who loves Christmas. ^_^ What I love the most is when it snows and everything is just so beautiful. I also love putting up decorations and lights and having snowball fights with my friends. And I love listening to Christmas music. ^_^ Over all I just think the month of December is a lot of fun!

My family has a few traditions that we follow; for example, we always get our Christmas tree Thanksgiving weekend and decorate it together. I always look forward to it as it signals the beginning of the holiday season in my house. Then we also have a tradition of making gingerbread houses and cookies to share with our neighbors.

The other tradition we have is either Christmas eve or another night, depending upon when everyone can be together, we make a point of gathering together to have hot chocolate and each person is allowed to open one gift. I think my parents started that one to make sure that we could share gifts together at least one day as lots of us don?t live close so we don?t always get to see everyone on Christmas day.

So what?s your favorite thing about Christmas? And what traditions does your family have? [/COLOR]

Guest kuroinuyoukai
[QUOTE=Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkRed]I?m sure that I am not the only one who loves Christmas. ^_^ What I love the most is when it snows and everything is just so beautiful. I also love putting up decorations and lights and having snowball fights with my friends. And I love listening to Christmas music. ^_^ Over all I just think the month of December is a lot of fun!

My family has a few traditions that we follow; for example, we always get our Christmas tree Thanksgiving weekend and decorate it together. I always look forward to it as it signals the beginning of the holiday season in my house. Then we also have a tradition of making gingerbread houses and cookies to share with our neighbors.

The other tradition we have is either Christmas eve or another night, depending upon when everyone can be together, we make a point of gathering together to have hot chocolate and each person is allowed to open one gift. I think my parents started that one to make sure that we could share gifts together at least one day as lots of us don?t live close so we don?t always get to see everyone on Christmas day.

So what?s your favorite thing about Christmas? And what traditions does your family have? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well usually we got to my aunt's for Christmas around the middle of December and eat. We no longer give presents except for the kids 10 and under. So I get to be sad. I would take anything for Christmas but alas the parents are so far in debt spoiling their brats.I usually get two presents each year. One from Mom and one from my brother. Everybody's broke and busy so I am not even sure if we are having Christmas this year. Anyway my favorite thing would be seeing people actually happy to be with each other and when the kids eyes light up when they get a great gift.. I wish I was a kid again. I was ignorant of the suffering in the world and loved the gifts.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]Yay!! A christmas-y type of thread!! Lol. :animesmil

Well, a tradition that me and my family always do is make christmas cookies throughout the whole week that christmas is on. We then decorate them and totally pig out and stuff out fat faces with cookies and hot chocolate by the fire. I'm the one that always eats the most of them because they are so good. :animeswea :animesigh :animesmil

Another tradition that we always do is decorate our artificial (yes, artificial. But, I was so against this because I always love real christmas trees because they smell so good and christmay time, but, I lost, so we got an artificial tree. I d*** all those fake trees to hell! :flaming: :devil: ) tree the same colors every year: blue, purple and silver. We do different styles every year; like blue and silver, purple and blue... you get the idea. And at the top, we always put an angel that we have used every year ever since we moved from Hawaii, which was about four and a half years ago. It's like it reminds us of our old home..*sniff*

We also always make a birthday cake and address it to Jesus because christmas is when he was born, so it was his birthday. We always make it and sing happy birthday to him, pray and then eat it. The cake that we always make is really good and I really like that tradition. I'm a christian, so, that'smy favorite part of christmas.

And the last but not least thing we always do is on christmas eve, me and my sister always open one present each year, just for the heck of it. I really like this part because if I open something that I really like, I'm always so happy with it. Last year, the early present that I opened was the GBA game, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. You can bet I was playing that thing throughtout the whole night. My mom and dad both know that I love anime, manga and video games and what series or titles that I like, so they always get me what they know I would love.

Well, that's it for the tradtions. I can't wait for christmas!! I've already decorated my computer with a Sora background. He's in that cute little santa outfit, which makes him look so cute[/COLOR][/SIZE]![/FONT]

[SIZE=2][FONT=Georgia]Lessee. Christmas traditions. Oh! I've got one! My sister and I take turns naming our tree. Even though it's the same tree every year, we name it. Last year, just to make my mom mad, I named it Ashitaka (yay, Princess Mononoke!). She couldn't pronounce it. :catgirl:

On Christmas Eve, just before we go to bed (or, before my parents go to bed, at least), everyone gets to open just one gift. Then we sit in front of the tree with all the lights in the house off but the Christmas lights. It always makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. ^-^[/FONT][/SIZE]

For Christmas my family is kind of crazy mostly because on Christmas there are a few b-days to celebrate like my uncle's and my second cousin's. We put up the tree the week before the week of thanksgiving and last week I put up our huge Christmas City, This year I placed it as if It was on a mountain, pretty cool. Then we put the nativity scene, you know the stuff, but we leave out Jesus until the 24th at midnight when we put him with his family. Then we put the lights everywhere and I mean everywhere. Then I usually donate toys at the local shelter and I stay on the 23th to help around there. :catgirl:

My families thing is we get together at my aunts house and have a big dinner. We all get together and I pig out on those little cocktail weiners wrapped in crossants. It's a thing we do every year, we all get together pick at a buffet of food and open presents at the end of the night. That's about the only real traditoin we have.

My family has secret Santa (except for the secret part). Then on Christmas Eve we gather at my grandparents' house and open gifts at midnight. It's also a birthday party for my grandpa. It gets very crowded, because there are at least 20 people trying to fit into my grandparents' basement. Then we go back to my grandparents' house for dinner on Christmas day.

[SIZE=1]I've never really liked christmas time. Red and Green I felt [i]never[/i] went well in an outfit. However, normally my christmas tradition would be to spend Christmas Eve with my family, have dinner, and open all of our presents. Yes, thats right we open ours the day before and then on christmas when I was younger, I was left with the presents in my stockings from "Santa".

This christmas will be pretty grim, as I'm not getting [u]any[/u] gifts this year and we're just donating a bunch of money to charity as our gifts. It sucks, but I don't think everyone in my family has been in the christmas mood since my brother in law died this year. It's less stressful and it is for a good cause anyways. I wish everyone a merry christmas. Oh and go see Narnia too. I was a little dissapointed in some scenes but its actually better then I thought it would be.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#847348]Come December 15, I'm pretty sure my father'll start pestering us to come with him to church for the 4am mass. My parents still believe that if we attend all of the nine dawn masses (from the 16th to the 24th, a sort of early morning novena for Christmas yeah?), whatever wish we make at Christmas Day will come true.

I'm not the sort of person who'll brave nine cold dawns for a chance to get a free wish but I try to complete them nine services 'cause I get to spend more time with my folks that way.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well seeing as how my father hates to decorate the house and put up Christmas lights any earlier than about the twentieth we don't exactly have many Christmas traditions to speak of. I suppose the tradition we most keep up with is to have relatives over Christmas Eve, trade stories, catch up and play cards until about three in the morning. We've gone through said routine for about the last six or seven years and I don't see it changing this time round. Christmas Day is a pretty similar affair, except there is the added fun of new presents and Christmas dinner. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE]So what?s your favorite thing about Christmas? And what traditions does your family have? [/QUOTE]

Hmm...my favorite thing about Christmas is the history of Christmas. As for Christmas traditions, my family really doesn't have any. But then again, we really don't have any family traditions, for that matter.

My favorite thing about Christmas is singing carols to and about Jesus. And that leads to a tradition that my church family has. On the second Sabbath of every December, we have our Cantata, which is a huge Christmas program with a big choir that I try to be in when I can, narration of the story of Jesus's birth, a live nativity, a children's choir, prayer, congregational Christmas hymns, and various talented musicians.

Our 34th annual Cantata was yesterday night, and it was so cool. :D We had a 52 voice choir (including myself), which is the largest we've ever had. And part of the tradition is that we have it in the sanctuary every year, but the Cantata grows every year. Last night, all of the pews were packed full of people, and there were folding chairs in the aisles. There were even people standing and sitting in the doorway. :animeswea

On the last Sabbath before Christmas Day though, we always have a special church service, which is set up especially for family participation.

I also try to go caroling every year, with friends. (My family doesn't like doing that kind of stuff.)

At my house with my immediate family, we always have a Christmas tree with presents underneath. One of my uncles and my oldest brother usually come over on Christmas Day, when we all open our presents.

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]The thing I love most about Christmas is the music. Once thanksgiving is over I listen to pretty much nothing else until Christmas is over. As for traditions in my family, we will bake a lot of cookies and give them to our neighbors and we also get together on Christmas Eve to open one gift each.

If we have time then we also go sledding somewhere in the mountains, or simply drive up as high as we can to take lots of pictures of us playing in the snow.

Also if we are able to get together the day after thanksgiving we all go together to pick out a tree and bring it home and decorate it together. I love going and picking out a Christmas tree with my family. [/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Hmm. ... I guess my family only has one sort of tradition that we do every year. A week or so before Christmas, we make Christmas cookies and candy and then get together to put up our tree and decorate it while snacking on the aforementioned goodies. This year we'll be putting the three up Monday evening, so we started making cookies last night.

And, of course, there's the usual exhange of gifts, which we do Christmas morning while having breakfast.

So nothing big or fancy or anything, but it's fun.[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo]My family has a few traditions that we observe for the holidays if we can get together as so many of us live in different states now. One of them is that we go to a tree farm and pick out our tree together and cut it ourselves. Since I leave to catch a plane home today I will be doing that with my family tomorrow. It's always fun as there is lots of snow and everything is so beautiful.

The other tradition is that we have a Christmas Eve party. We get lots of fun Christmas movies, snacks and Christmas music and spend the whole evening having fun together. Sometimes my siblings and I have stayed up all night watching Christmas shows. I love doing it.

The other is one I do with my mother if possible, and that is we do our Christmas shopping together, so I'll be doing my shopping this week. It may be a mad house, but it's one of the few times I get to be with my Mom so I love every minute of it.[/COLOR]