OtakuBoards

The OtakuBoards Nifty Fifty of 2005 (Nominations Thread)

Shy

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][ALIGN=Center][b]Jakehammaren![/b][/ALIGN]

I think he's been one of the coolest people to ever grace the "Music, Movies, & TV" thread. This kid is a Defender of True Metal! Need I say more? I will! If it weren't for him, MM&TV would be flooded with threads saying things like "OH MA GAH SLIPKNOT IZ TEH BEST METAL BNAD EVAR CUZ TEHY R LIEK SO ANDGRY N I CAN ALWYAS REL8 2 THR LRYICS TEHY R ABUOT BIEGN ANDGRAY LIEK I AM LOL! BUT MOST OF ALL BCUZ TEHY R METAL!!!" I think that his work goes largely unappreciated around here. This little quote of ULX's in the "Ten Random Songs...game." thread sums it all up, In my opinion:[/FONT][/COLOR] [QUOTE=Unborn Lord Xion]020 - [b]How Can I Live[/b] - Ill Nino
It's a nice little song, perhaps a little too...hmm...I want to say metal but I fear the Jake attack.[/QUOTE][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][ALIGN=Center][b]OtakuBoards Survivor: Game On![/b][/ALIGN]

This is a great thread made by Sandy. I only just got into reading it this month, but it is a tremendous effort, very well doen. I wish I had known about it while it was still in its Adventure Inn stage, because then I could've signed up and perhaps taken part in the awesome. *Sigh* Oh well, there will be others. But will they be as well done?[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well; Since theres no chance of me making it then as a joke I'll nominate myself for being awesome. However; since this is a serious thread then I have serious nominations.

Gavin-

That crazy Irishman; Gavin has, over the years of my membership, been one of the standout posters on the Boards. No offense to Dragon Warrior or Tony but Gavin is my Nifty vote for having the most annoying but addictive line in OB history "Interesting, Most Interesting"

The Newbs of 2005-

Much as I hate to admit it; The 2005 batch of New Members is probably the best I have seen on a forum, period. End of Story. These guys have earned the right not to have people being knobs to them.

And I hate myself for saying this but They made more of an Impact than I did when I came here.

James and his Sexy Accent-
Alright, so I may be guessing how sexy his accent is but it is Aussie so therefore it is sexy. Joking aside, James is the king of OB with his many changing avatars and banners.
I feel a lot of respect for the guy and his workrate, so there is another Nifty vote from me.

The Quality of Adventures in the Adventure Arena-
Alright, so what if this year is essentially equal to last year? It is the matter of fact that the board has gone through change and has still been able to keep the Stories on a rise. I say that is definetly Nifty.

I know I missed out on a lot of things, and I apologise but I'm kind of sleepy and I don't like sleepy.

[Color=Indigo][B]Athena[/B]- Knowing Athena has been like being without glasses and getting some all the while needing them. She's opened my eyes to so many things that I don't think I'll ever be able to repay. She's been there for me through just about everything this year and for that, I'm more than grateful. She's also not afraid to make her opinion known and never takes back what she says. She's my idol, one could say. But more importantly, meh sister. Well not really, but you get what I mean.

[B]DeadSeraphim/Hevn[/B]- This is one in love pair of kids. They've sustained a relationship for a year and are now engaged. I'm very proud to say I know Hevn and I can only wish her the best.

[B][URL=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=46912]Sanity's Gift's Crew[/URL][/B]- You guys stuck me out. That right there earns you a nomination. I realize the whole thing died, but just seeing the dedication from Corey and Sakura brings a tear to my eye. I love you guys!

[B]Solo Tremaine[/B]- Many people have mentioned this great guy and I'm not surprised. He's one of the greatest people on OB. He always has an open ear for a problem, no matter what's going on in his life. He's also always eager to help in whatever I need help with RPG-wise and I don't think I'd be able to stay on OB if he wasn't here.

[B]Lady Katana[/B]- Lady K. as a mod has to put up with alot. Maintaining the Manga Workshop can't be an easy task for anyone that has more than two brain cells. I seriously respect her for keeping her temper with even the most persistent of n00bs (read here losers).

[B]Sakura[/B]- Sakura's more than just a RPG'er. She's a great strategist. She and I really bonded through Game On! and all the plotting we did was fun. *confetti* anyone?

[B][URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=51508]Crimes of Hate[/URL][/B]- This OB parody is possibly the best in it's genre. Where Enter the Net plays on puns and inside jokes, Crimes of Hate makes you think and shudder. Murder is never something one expects, but when it starts striking a minority, the mystery always takes many twists and turns. Here's to a great story.

EDIT: I forgot someone! =o Oh noes!

[B]Raiyuu[/B]- He's a webcomic guy, that makes him cool. He's also really nice and likes his fans. Go Raiyuu. ^^[/color]

[Font=Arial]As always, my almost late nominations. More than last year, but then again, I only had to compile a list of 10. XD[/font]

[size=1][color=#B2566B]Well, I hope I?m not too late for nominations. So, I?d like to nominate:

[list][*][B]The OB[/B]-
First and foremost, I must nominate the OtakuBoards as a whole considering that this is the place that I?ve come to know. It is the very place I can come to when times are hard and I need a place to vent, it is the place that introduced me to many different people, and it is because of this place that I?ve had the ability to perfect my writing skills, which are still in its perfecting stage. It?s also one of the longest running forums known to me and plus, without the OB, how was I able to find such great friends?[/list]

[list][*][B]The Arena[/B]-
This place has literally become a second home to me and it is here that I?ve met so many wonderful people such as Sakura, Corey, Retribution, my sister Annie, and many more. This place truly brings out the best in everyone?s writing skills and helps them to hone it and perfect to turn it into their own. It?s also here that I?ve had the ability to do that.[/list]

[list][*][B]The OB Couples[/B]-
I don?t know many couples on OB but from the few that I?ve come to know, I can see that the OB brought them together and allowed them to show their affection and true personalities, something that reality rarely does considering the narrow-minded and shallow people. But other than that, there?s nothing more considering Annie made a clear statement and was right on the dot.[/list]

[list][*][B]The Writers of OB[/B]-
Kudos to you all for the excellent skills that I adore you to have. Everyone is special and creative in putting their creativity into their work and inspiring others to try even without them knowing. If there?s anything about writing, it?d be to show the people the different styles each person has, which makes it all the worth while just reading it.[/list]

[list][*][B]The Artists of OB[/B]-
I am awed at your artistry and craft for the reason that it is something that I can never do even if I tried. There are many people in the OB that are grand artists that can whip up almost anything without thinking about it, which is why I nominate them. (Also because I envy them...)[/list]

[list][*][B]The Foundation of OB[/B]-
Everyone knows who I?m talking about and if they don?t, then I guess that my communication skills need some perfecting as well. But to elaborate on my nomination, I am talking about the people who help to make OB a better community, I am talking about the people who sit down and sift through the complaints, the requests, and every other thing that we can do or say. Ultimately I am talking about the staff- Raiyuu, Stuart, Dagger, Shy, Ozymandius Jones, James, and anyone else I might?ve missed. I thank you and here is your nomination.[/list]

[list][*][B]The Members[/B]-
And last but not least, I give a nomination to the Members. I may not know all of you, old and new, but it is my honor to give you a nomination into the Nifty Fifty of 2006. The Staff of OB may be the Foundation but they are members just like, well, everyone on OB. Cheers, Members, let?s keep this baby running.[/list][/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Revelation][size=1][color=#b2566b][b]The Foundation of OB[/b]-
Everyone knows who I?m talking about and if they don?t, then I guess that my communication skills need some perfecting as well. But to elaborate on my nomination, I am talking about the people who help to make OB a better community, I am talking about the people who sit down and sift through the complaints, the requests, and every other thing that we can do or say. Ultimately I am talking about the staff- Raiyuu, Stuart, Dagger, Shy, Ozymandius Jones, James, and anyone else I might?ve missed. I thank you and here is your nomination.

[/color][/size][/QUOTE]See, that's a generalization and I will help to save your commuincation skills. I don't mean to derail this thread but an important clarification should be made here. The foundation of Otakuboards isn't Stuart, or Raiyuu or Ozymandius Jones. That's way too specific. How many people here remember Justin, Transtic Nerve, Babygirl, Warlock, Sephiroth, Final Flash, Zeh, Weh, etc? I'm sure that a few of you do, but most of you don't. I sure don't see a lot of nominations for those people here. People like Stuart, Raiyuu, and Ozymandius Jones essentially fit into the same category. Even I, who was the Site Administrator at one point am not really a foundation of the place. I moved on and OtakuBoards is still going. If this place is still around in a couple of years most of the current staff will probably be forgotten and new ones will be on the receiving end of this praise. Foundation indicates something more permanent.

You should have just named this portion of your post OtakuBoards Staff and you could have accomplished your gushing that way. Don't get me wrong, the staff [i]do[/i] deserve thanks. But, again, to individually call them the foundation of the site is utterly ridiculous. Again, I don't mean to derail the thread, but I'd like to address the common fault associated with (I know this sounds ridiculous) idol worshipping the staff. Let me put this into perspective--the staff do help to make OtakuBoards a better community, but so do a lot of people. Each person is capable of contributing in their own way. In fact, the members are the real foundation of the community and the staff are only an extention of them. While different names will always appear in these things for whatever reason, general terms such as "the membership" will always be important.

I can understand calling Adam, or James a foundation of the site, or even Shy due to his history and efforts associated with it, but really, let's at least make a little sense when naming names.

So yeah, now I'll nominate Revelation as nifty since HER (sorry) error gave me the opportunity to show just how nifty I am.

***EDITED AS TO NOT GENDERLY CONFUSE AS IF IT MATTERS IN THE CONTEXT OF MY POINT***

[color=green]Wow, I can't believe I'm actually posting in this thing... I know I'm shy :animeswea

[b]The Legionnaires[/b]
Very original, and daring, idea, Shy. I'm very proud to be part of this massive RPG style event that has seemed to unite members from all over the boards. Shy also has the patience of a saint to put up with all of the conflicts and road blocks this event has come up against in the past six months. Great job!

[b]ChibiHorseWoman's Hurricane Katrina thread[/b]
Being a native of New Orleans, I was very happy to see this thread come up. And even though some of the things said there made me want to jump through my computer screen and strangle some people, it was still a very good place for me to vent my near constant exasperation of the whole situation. By the way, I would never wish that experience on my worst enemy, it was that bad.

[b]Reiku[/b]
All I can say is, you rock. Your RPG's are great and fun to be a part of. You've also made me feel welcome when others have just dissmissed me as this shy little girl. Thanks a ton!

[b]Everyone who replied to my [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=46486]Sudden Loses[/url] thread[/b]
Hurricane Katrina wasn't the only thing crappy that happened to me in 2005, in fact it wasn't even the first. Exactly five months to the day prior to Katrina's landfall, my younger brother's best friend suddenly passed away. This was another trying time for me and my family and I'd just like to thank everyone who replied for thier support.[/color]

[quote name='Charles']So yeah, now I'll nominate Revelation as nifty since his error gave me the opportunity to show just how nifty I am.[/quote]

[size=1]Too bad Revelation is a girl. :P

Though, I wouldn't be too harsh because one wouldn't really know that. I just had to say it, sorry Charles..>>; [/size]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]Charles :[/b] Nifty - [I]Definition provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.[/I]

I don't believe I've actually had a coversation with Charles, but I think he's pretty damn nifty-- One of the funniest members that's come to my attention the three years I've been here, certainly. I really enjoy this guy. The niftyness of Charles cannot be placed into words of the English language, and unfortunately, that's the only language I know. OmfG did u no he was once an admin 2?! No, I bet you didn't. N00bies >.>

There are a lot of things about OtakuBoards I find nifty, but I'm too lazy to mention them.[/FONT]

[quote name='Stuart']There are a lot of things about OtakuBoards I find nifty, but I'm too lazy to mention them.[/quote][size=1]Well thanks for participating in this community event, Mr. Moderator. :rolleyes:

8 hours or so to go. Keep those nominations coming![/size]
[size=2][b][center]Panda[/b][/center][/size]
[size=1]Between her work on theOtaku.com and her moderation of the Lounge, Panda continues to inspire me. Anyone who has to clean up the Otaku Lounge deserves praise without question, but she does it with a kindness and grace that is very difficult to overlook. I find myself reading closed threads just to see the pleasant way she deals with spam, or visiting theOtaku.com to view wallpapers or greeting cards about an anime I honestly couldn?t care less about.[/size]
[size=2][center][b]Aarayanna[/b][/center][/size][size=1]
Aarayanna first caught my attention with her posts in the Otaku Lounge. Well actually, that?s a lie. What [i]really[/i] caught my attention was her avatar and banner combination, for not since Charles and his CATtitude had I seen someone who was so dangerously in love with their pet. History has proven that this type of fanatical devotion is often paired with spamming and I was pleasantly surprised to find that Aarayanna is a fantastic addition to the OtakuBoards community. Whether it be Zelda, or Cowboy Bebop, we all walk a fine line between obsession and insanity but nobody walks it better than Aarayanna and that ridiculous dog of hers.[/size]
[center][size=2][b][url= http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=45350]Batman: Hero or Sociopath?[/url][/b][/size][/center]

[size=1]This thread is everything that the Music, Movies & TV should be. Heck, it?s what [i]every forum[/i] should strive to be. Intelligent and respectful discussion from some of OB?s most intelligent minds? and it?s about freakin? Batman! Forget abortion, same-sex marriage or the Bush administration; this topic is proof that if every thread were about Batman the boards would be a much better place.[/size]
[center][b][size=2][url= http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=45377]Moderation[/url][/b][/size][/center]

[size=1]This is quite possibly my favorite thread ever posted on the boards. It glorifies everything we love and hate about the forum, complete with nostalgia and the dorkiest argument of all time. Every moderator has their own stories to tell, and this thread gives a little isight into some of them.[/size]
[size=2][center][b]BeatleMania: Redux[/b][/center][/size]
[size=1]Ozymandius Jones is my hero, and this RPG is why. It?s the most original concept to ever hit The Arena and even though I hardly know anything about the Beatles I had to join. Like most ambitious projects this one was doomed to fail, but that doesn?t make it any less memorable. Every project in The Arena should strive for this kind of creativity, because it?s this type of treasure that sets OB apart from every other forum on the web.
[size=2][b][center]Not Liking Shinmaru[/center][/b][/size]
[size=1]Whether it?s his moderation of Play It! Or his alleged ties to the Communist party, there are countless reasons to not like Shinmaru, and members have taken notice. Shinmaru Bashing Mania (or ?ShinBashMan? for short) has taken hold of the entire community, and with his frequent posts about music, movies or video games there are no signs of it slowing down. Have you ever tried looking at his blog? It?s the Twlight Zone mixed with Super Mario Brothers? What the hell is [i]that[/i] about?

Here?s to a great year of not liking Shinmaru, one which undoubtedly continue through the next century.[/size]

-Shy[/size]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Way to go, Shy, Now I feel obligated to expand, no thanks to you. Just because I'm a moderator doesn't mean I have to be active with our community events :p. You hurt my delicate feelings *cries*

[B]The OFFICAL OtakuBoards Graphic Tournament: [/B] Yeah, that's right, folks, the first offical graphics tournament. Nifty, no? It was very much a success too, and it really brought some life to the seeminglessly dead Art Studio. I believe the idea was brought up by Retribution? It was lootking a bit bleak from the start, but Dagger held the entire thing togher and the show continued! Making Dagger nifty in the process too.

[B]Retribution:[/B] Alex amazes me, and I look up to the pride he takes in his art and his passion for graphic design. He gave true life to the Art Studio, and made brought along many great ideas. Such as: The Banner/Avatar Orphanage, The GFX Club, Graphics Class, The small but enjoyable Last-Man-Standing competion, and uhh... Well, his wonderful personal art thread. (Were there some I missed?) He also went out of his way to give as much possible critque to all of our member's designs, and yet harsh at times, he was only trying to help the member to improve their skills and abilities. I often find it difficult to actually comment on his pieces because they're just that bizare, and too artisy for me to comperhend. Good heavens, what a guy.
[/FONT]

[font=Arial][size=2][b][url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=51780"]Incomming[/url][/b]: Because it's one of the most entertaining Introduction threads I've ever seen. Kudos to the man who made it.

[b] Nomad Tical:[/b] Like other people, I see fit to nominate him. He is one of the most dedicated people at OB Anthology, and he always tries to encourage and give some sort of feedback to every author. Every time I see "Last post: Nomad Tical" I'm filled with hope that he might start a trend.

[b] SYF:[/b] Because I've been involved in the last two, I can't not nominate them. They're fantastic RPG's and I've always enjoyed them so much.
[b]
Everyone Who Doesn't Hate OB:[/b] Because I feel less gauche when you guys are around. Trying to be 'cool' is tiring -- I'd rather just enjoy myself with the memberbase. ^_^

And that's it because my battery is out. Kiss kiss.

[/size][/font]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Well, at this rate, if I don't do anything my thread will go unnoticed for possibly all eternity.....or something of the like.

I nominate my [B]'Entomology: Care to Look?'[/B] thread because I feel that I have at least tried to do something in educating people about insects, spiders, and other 'creepy crawlies'. The nominaiton goes to the thread as well as all the people who posted information on it, and also to the people who thanked my thread for providing information they've been curious about. I honestly feel my thread to be worthy of some award, no matter how small.

I also nominate [B]sakurasuka[/B] for helping out on my banners and avatars, and for being one of my few friends on the OB. Thanks beyond thanks.

Also, although repeated many times before, I nominate [B]all the moderators, administrators, and site directors[/B] because I truly feel that they need to be rewarded for their stressful jobs handling newbies, posting rules and regulations, as well as enforcing them, and being able to handle this as well as their real lives. Their sense of responsibility, and ability to converse easily with the rest of OB, is truly worthy of praise well beyond that of whatever award they receive. Kudos to you.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Indigo][B]The Staff:[/B] Whether it be OtakuBoards or any other part of the various Otaku sites here, they definitely do the most amazing job I?ve ever seen at a forum or site.

[B]The Members: [/B] I?ve belonged to many forums before this one and it?s been a refreshing change to be part of such an amazing community. In many ways its like being part of an online family. The members are just outstanding.
[B]
Official Graphics Tournament:[/B] I really enjoyed getting to see all the amazing talent of the members here. I also really enjoyed the chance to be a part of it by voting on the work submitted by the artists. It?s an event that I definitely hope to see again this year.
[B]
Seasonal Banner Changes: [/B] I really loved the Halloween banner and the contest which allowed members to make banners for Christmas. Another event I hope to see again this year.
[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Stuart][FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]Charles :[/b] Nifty - [I]Definition provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.[/I]

I don't believe I've actually had a coversation with Charles, but I think he's pretty damn nifty-- One of the funniest members that's come to my attention the three years I've been here, certainly. I really enjoy this guy. The niftyness of Charles cannot be placed into words of the English language, and unfortunately, that's the only language I know. OmfG did u no he was once an admin 2?! No, I bet you didn't. N00bies >.>[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[center][IMG]http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/7808/01albandy8vj0zd7sn.jpg[/IMG] [/center]

Sneaking in under the wire...

[b]Remadi:[/b] She's done a lot to keep the Manga Workshop's BL/shounen-ai/yaoi thread alive, and for that I am grateful. More than that, though, her posts help bring an almost astonishing level of quality into said thread. And anyway, she has good taste.

[b]r2vq:[/b] How could I add my nominations without giving Arvi a salute? It used to be a relief to read his posts in otherwise iffy AL threads, and now he's a (very deserving) mod.

[b]Eva Unit 100:[/b] Whether we're vehemently arguing or vehemently agreeing, it's always enjoyable to have discussions with him. He has a level head on his shoulders, and the strength of his opinions makes debates a lot more exciting.

[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?p=708410#post708410][b]Bleach:[/b][/url] Because really, who would ever have guessed that a thread about a shounen action anime could go on for so long with so little spam? I'm still somewhat taken aback by it. Even if half the posts (mine included) are mainly detailed explanations of just how sweet the latest fight was. ;)

[b]OB Members Who Don't Watch Anime:[/b] You guys are what make this place more than just another anime/manga-based forum, and I daresay you bring in a lot of much-needed intelligence. Three cheers for diversity.

[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27][b]The Anime Lounge:[/b][/url] I'll always love you. Even if no one else does.

[b]Charles:[/b] Pretty much the only person around here who can pull off image posts with panache. To be honest, I still find him intimidating, but in a good, "Wow, that guy is awesome" kind of way. People who weren't around when he was an admin don't know what they're missing.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Stuart][FONT=Trebuchet MS']The niftyness of Charles cannot be placed into words of the English language.[/FONT][/quote]
It's pretty easy in french though. Seriously, check it out:

[b]Charles[/b]: Charles ? Ce type est vraiment vraiment vraiment astucieux. Pour vrai.[/FONT][/SIZE][list]
[/list] [/COLOR]

[color=crimson][b]The Old School[/b]- It's popular to be nostalgic on OtakuBoards and I'm going to, unfortunately, contribute to that as I myself have lingered on here for some time and nostalgia can come rather easily. In this time I've met many great people- some of them are still here ******* around in whatever ways they want to. However, many of them have left and faded away with time. While I appreciate our current crowd of interesting/eccentric people I would have to say that all of the oldbies, gone or here, are niftier to me than they are. I can't really provide a long list of oldbie members that deserve mentions but I will say that I (when thinking about those that are MIA), personally, miss BabyGirl, Final Flash, RicoTranzrig and Lady Macaiodh.[/color]