OtakuBoards

Offensive cartoons in Denmark

Roxie Faye

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]However, the danish government should take responsibility for the freedom of speech they have given to their citizens. The government should condemn the cartoons, and although they shouldn't punish the newspaper (because they didn't break the law), they shouldn't allow them to do this again, or to keep printing these current cartoons, and they should tell the cartoonists to apologize for abusing their freedoms. The danish government needs to add some sort of restrictions to freedom of speech. Lies and slander and rascist remarks should not be tolerated.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I'm sorry, but this really makes me laugh. You see, we have freedom of speech and press. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. This comic is what we call A JOKE. And people should be able to take the joke.

Seriously, sticks and stones people.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']However, the danish government should take responsibility for the freedom of speech they have given to their citizens. The government should condemn the cartoons, and although they shouldn't punish the newspaper (because they didn't break the law), they shouldn't allow them to do this again, or to keep printing these current cartoons, and they should tell the cartoonists to apologize for abusing their freedoms. The danish government needs to add some sort of restrictions to freedom of speech. Lies and slander and rascist remarks should not be tolerated.[/COLOR][/quote][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Isn?t that kind of a contradiction to say the government should condemn the cartoon and then not allow them to publish anything like it again? Although I do agree that the cartoon was in very poor taste and offensive, if we keep them from ever publishing something like that again then we don?t really have freedom of speech.

The moment you start trying to stop people from expressing their opinions however sick they may be, is the moment you just end up with even more racist remarks or cartoons. It just seems like people are making far more out of a cartoon than is necessary.[/COLOR][QUOTE=Morpheus]I'm sorry, but this really makes me laugh. You see, we have freedom of speech and press. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. This comic is what we call A JOKE. And people should be able to take the joke.

Seriously, sticks and stones people.[/QUOTE][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I agree, sticks and stones. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Morpheus]I'm sorry, but this really makes me laugh. You see, we have freedom of speech and press. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. This comic is what we call A JOKE. And people should be able to take the joke.

Seriously, sticks and stones people.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point.

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff']I think the cartoons were very offensive extremely inappropriate, and Chabichou said it best - they were lies about the prophet, and about Islam.[/color][/quote]

[color=crimson]Nope. The "offensive" ones were satire which is always, to some degree, offensive/caustic.

I don't really see them as lies. Some facets of Islamic society [i]are[/i] nutso, psychotic terrorists and there are enough of them that it is A.) A problem. B.) Easily used for satirical takes on all of Islamic society.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff']Although they were meant as examples of free press, they're definitely INAPPROPRIATE on any level. If they were cartoons about Jesus on THAT level, you can bet that I would be flipping out worse than any of the Muslim countries, because I would find it extremely offensive to my religion.[/quote][/color]

[color=crimson]Man, people use Christian figures inappropriately all the time. If you seriously paid attention you'd be writing a lot of long, angry letters Roxrox.

BTW, check out the movie Dogma. That's some funny stuff.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff']Unlike some of you insensitive jerks out there, I actually do cringe when people make distasteful political cartoons out of figures like Jesus, Muhammad, or even Buddha (and other religious icons).[/quote][/color]

[color=crimson]I dunno. Personally, if I was Jesus, I wouldn't care about what mortals were doing in regards to using me in an offbeat way. That's kind of.. not important in comparison to all the ethereal shindigs I'd be involved in.

I guess people are less calm than Ken-Jesus. Raise your battle flag high and fight the fine fight against the offensive materials of the free world. Theocratic inroads for all![/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff']You know the rule that in polite company you don't talk about 1) politics and 2) religion?[/quote][/color]

[color=crimson]3) Anything at all remotely interesting.

Don't spoil the mood, man.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff'] It bothers me too, that EVERYONE in the world seems to be a self-centered, insensitive jerkface, not caring if the trodd on the fundamental beliefs of others.[/color][/quote]

[color=crimson]Not really sure how to respond to this since you are being kind of a self-centered, insensitive jerkface trotting on the opinions/actions of others as freely as you so desire under the guise of your own opinions.

What a weird paradox.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff][size=1'](heh, then again, I hate the French gov't. I spent ten minutes bashing their government and military today in English class[/size][/quote][/color]

[color=crimson]Awesome. That's pretty hardcore. [/color]

[QUOTE=Adahn][size=2]Religion=bad[/size]
[size=2]Politics=bad[/size]
[size=2]Religion + Politics = badbad[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]Seconded.[/color]

I agree totally that this thing has been blown out of proportions, but it greatly worries me that the Islamic extremists are already putting death threats on all Danish/French people. Over one lowsy comic! There seems to be zero rational thinking among the fundamentalists, honestly! X(

This is one vicious cycle, and I personally can't trace where it all began. The tension between west and the east is intensifying all the time, and I fear it'll eventually explode in some very catastrophic and terminal way... :/

But doesn't anyone think that comics of Mohamed as a terrorist or the profet being ****ed by an animal are completely without taste for humour? It's not funny at all!

It just shows that the Western world almost has no respect left for people different than them in lifestyle. I'm not saying that there can't be any funy comics about religion. In today's paper, there was a comic of Mohamed giving out autographs saying 'God is just my starname'. That's funny, and not disrespectful like these cartoons! People keep blabbering about freedom of speech, but if they can't respect people then do they even deserve that freedom of speech? Doesn't the Muslim society deserve freedom of speech as well? Because they're reacting on it, also verbally, and we're all offended because they do!

[QUOTE=Renate]But doesn't anyone think that comics of Mohamed as a terrorist or the profet being ****ed by an animal are completely without taste for humour? It's not funny at all!

It just shows that the Western world almost has no respect left for people different than them in lifestyle. I'm not saying that there can't be any funy comics about religion. In today's paper, there was a comic of Mohamed giving out autographs saying 'God is just my starname'. That's funny, and not disrespectful like these cartoons! People keep blabbering about freedom of speech, but if they can't respect people then do they even deserve that freedom of speech? Doesn't the Muslim society deserve freedom of speech as well? Because they're reacting on it, also verbally, and we're all offended because they do![/QUOTE][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]

They don't have freedom of speech is the majority of the Mid East. Well, that sucks, but it's their own problem. We in the Western world do - and we, as citizens of free nations, have every right to say WHATEVER we want! This isn't some fuzzy-fuzzy-hug-hug world where eveyone loves everyone and is willing to express that! They will hate and they will express thus! They have every right to. That's why it's called FREEDOM of SPEECH, not Freedom of Speech so long as it doesn't Offend Anyone. If you don't like what they have to say - ignore it. You have that right aswell.

Besides, only one of the comics was even remotley offensive... the bomb-turban one. But people make offensive comics about EVERYTHING! Every single thing, you look on the entire, and you will find a piece of satire dedicated to it - this is only 'news' because the Religious Fundis are so damn easy to offend... I for one will excersize my right and laugh at this entire situation! It's effing hilarious![/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE]We in the Western world do - and we, as citizens of free nations, have every right to say WHATEVER we want! This isn't some fuzzy-fuzzy-hug-hug world where eveyone loves everyone and is willing to express that! They will hate and they will express thus![/QUOTE]
I very well know this world isn't a world where everyone loves each other. That's impossible. But I'm a highly idealistic person. I believe we can express our opinion without being completely low and rude. If you don't like someone or a group of people, say so and move on. And I think this goes in this situation for both sides.

[QUOTE]That's why it's called FREEDOM of SPEECH, not Freedom of Speech so long as it doesn't Offend Anyone. [/QUOTE]
Freedom of speech always offends someone. I'm not against freedom of speech. But take flaming for example, everyone hates flaming. I see these cartoons as such a flame. Completely idiotic and serving no purpose but to generate hate. Freedom of speech is perfectly acceptable as long as it's intelligently done and serves a purpose besides just being offensive: expressing a point of view.

[QUOTE]If you don't like what they have to say - ignore it. You have that right aswell.[/QUOTE]
People often don't ignore things they don't like either. They'll always try to convince the other of their opinion. Everyone's like that.

[QUOTE]this is only 'news' because the Religious Fundis are so damn easy to offend...[/QUOTE]
That's because their religion is so important to them, a thing completely absent in the Western world. Religious groups are so small here, we understand so little of religion, that we can't understand the Muslims anymore. I'm like that as well, but at least I try to. And to think that the only people offended are religious fundis, that's just funny in my opinion. There are thousands of everyday people who are muslim and offended right at this moment.

In my opinion, cartoons are supposed to be funny, to put things differently. And in my opinion, these cartoons were created by someone who just repeated the view of many native Europeans - Completely suspectful of anything different than them.

Why, isn't it about time we start making fun of ourselves as well if this is so funny?

[QUOTE=Renate]I very well know this world isn't a world where everyone loves each other. That's impossible. But I'm a highly idealistic person. I believe we can express our opinion without being completely low and rude. If you don't like someone or a group of people, say so and move on. And I think this goes in this situation for both sides.
[/QUOTE][COLOR=Sienna]
[FONT=Times New Roman]
Well, we can't - and we shoulldn't have to. Because we're humans. And that's life.[/FONT]
[/COLOR]
[QUOTE]Freedom of speech always offends someone. I'm not against freedom of speech. But take flaming for example, everyone hates flaming. I see these cartoons as such a flame. Completely idiotic and serving no purpose but to generate hate. Freedom of speech is perfectly acceptable as long as it's intelligently done and serves a purpose besides just being offensive: expressing a point of view.[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]
No, this is an attempt at satire - a failed attempt, mind, but an attempt nontheless. It's lame and it's tasteless but that's what it is. Unfunny people have just as much a right as you or I, don't they? [/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE]
People often don't ignore things they don't like either. They'll always try to convince the other of their opinion. Everyone's like that.
[/QUOTE][COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Times New Roman]
... which is the bigger problem in this situation. Some petty people can't get over one little comic, so what do they do? Boycott and entire country! That's just so ******* stupid it's almost unbelievable! If people could just move on and not care about this than this wouldn't even be news! [/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE]
That's because their religion is so important to them, a thing completely absent in the Western world. Religious groups are so small here, we understand so little of religion, that we can't understand the Muslims anymore. I'm like that as well, but at least I try to. And to think that the only people offended are religious fundis, that's just funny in my opinion. There are thousands of everyday people who are muslim and offended right at this moment.
[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Times New Roman]
The vast majority of the western world are Christians. VAST majority. And people do 'offensive' satiracle drawings of Christian religious figures all the time. It's just that, for some unknown reason, Islam feels that it is special; that every country in the world must listen to it and that type of thing. Thus, when somone in some random country rights somthing offensive about the Muslims, they feel the world should bend over backwards to make sure that nothing offensive can ever be writen about them. Then when the world doesn't, they do some stupid little thing like boycott an entire nation and burn Danish flags etc, which makes them look more radical and extremeist and downright nutty to the eyes of everyone else... everyone is offended at one point or another... they move on. For some reason the Muslism can't. -_-[/FONT]
[/COLOR]
[QUOTE]
In my opinion, cartoons are supposed to be funny, to put things differently. And in my opinion, these cartoons were created by someone who just repeated the view of many native Europeans - Completely suspectful of anything different than them.[/QUOTE][COLOR=Sienna]
[FONT=Times New Roman]
Ok, are you familiar with the term 'SATIRE'?

1. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.
2. The branch of literature constituting such works. See Synonyms at caricature.
2. Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.

This of course is a failed attempt at satire, as it lacked any wit or originality, but you get the point.[/FONT]
[/COLOR]
[QUOTE]Why, isn't it about time we start making fun of ourselves as well if this is so funny?[/QUOTE][COLOR=Sienna]
[FONT=Times New Roman]
We make fun of ourselves. I mean, literally the time. SNL, The Daily Show, Rick Mercer Report, WE MAKE FUN OF OURSELVES ON A NIGHTLY BASIS! You don't hear GWB demanding John Stewart's head when he cracks a joke about him, no, he's probably laughing about it to, just like everyone else with a sense of humour! Comon![/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson]Nope. The "offensive" ones were satire which is always, to some degree, offensive/caustic.

I don't really see them as lies. Some facets of Islamic society [i]are[/i] nutso, psychotic terrorists and there are enough of them that it is A.) A problem. B.) Easily used for satirical takes on all of Islamic society.[/color][/QUOTE]

Those cartoons fail at satire simply because satire is supposed to exaggerate issues to comedic extremes, thereby making them funny. The problem here is that these cartoons aren't funny because their target is misdirected. Since they were trying to make fun of psychotic Islamic terrorists, they should have tried doing something to make fun of psychotic Islamic terrorists instead of making fun of something that has never been implied in the slightest that Mohammed ever did. Some whacko in the world is always going to be offended by something, but it's not impossible to make a psuedo-offensive satire (which can be really, really funny) instead of a totally offensive hate crime (which is wrong on every level and has no comedic value whatsoever). For example, Wuncler's comment in the first episode of The Boondocks about "people of terrorist descent" is funny satire because it's making a statement about racism and xenophobia in America. Or to give an example making fun of religious belief in general, in the Invader ZIM Xmas special when Dib says something along the lines of "What's next? You're going to tell me that chimp in a Santa suit was the real Santa?" followed by some random guy in the crowd saying "Wait, he wasn't!?!" it's funny satire because it's making a statement about how people tend to listen to blind faith more than reason. The Danish cartoons in question, on the other hand, don't have any valid point to make about Mohammed and therefore are just hate crimes instead of real satire.

[quote name='EVA Unit 100']Those cartoons fail at satire simply because satire is supposed to exaggerate issues to comedic extremes, thereby making them funny. The problem here is that these cartoons aren't funny because their target is misdirected. Since they were trying to make fun of psychotic Islamic terrorists, they should have tried doing something to make fun of psychotic Islamic terrorists instead of making fun of something that has never been implied in the slightest that Mohammed ever did. Some whacko in the world is always going to be offended by something, but it's not impossible to make a psuedo-offensive satire (which can be really, really funny) instead of a totally offensive hate crime (which is wrong on every level and has no comedic value whatsoever). For example, Wuncler's comment in the first episode of The Boondocks about "people of terrorist descent" is funny satire because it's making a statement about racism and xenophobia in America. Or to give an example making fun of religious belief in general, in the Invader ZIM Xmas special when Dib says something along the lines of "What's next? You're going to tell me that chimp in a Santa suit was the real Santa?" followed by some random guy in the crowd saying "Wait, he wasn't!?!" it's funny satire because it's making a statement about how people tend to listen to blind faith more than reason. The Danish cartoons in question, on the other hand, don't have any valid point to make about Mohammed and therefore are just hate crimes instead of real satire.[/quote][COLOR=Sienna]
[FONT=Times New Roman]
Do the witless not deserve the same rights as the rest of us? That's called discrimination, isn't it? ;) [/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE]No, this is an attempt at satire - a failed attempt, mind, but an attempt nontheless. It's lame and it's tasteless but that's what it is. Unfunny people have just as much a right as you or I, don't they? [/QUOTE]
Well at least we agree that it's a tasteless, lame and completely failed. I never said they don't have right to do such things. But it was a mistake none the less.

[QUOTE]Some petty people can't get over one little comic, so what do they do? Boycott and entire country! [/QUOTE]
Which is interely stupid at itself. It's completely pointless anyway. So I agree with you on this.

[QUOTE]If people could just move on and not care about this than this wouldn't even be news![/QUOTE]
Do you really think that? If relations between the two worlds would have been better, I'm sure they would. It'd be like tasteless the Netherlands-Belgian jokes are over here. But with the tensions these last years, it was bound to happen.

[QUOTE]The vast majority of the western world are Christians. VAST majority.[/QUOTE]
I go to a christian school and even though they are christians as you say it, they barely go to church and don't believe in God at all. I would be amazingly surprised ifthere are even 30 people on my school, where 1000 students attend, that truely believe in God.

[QUOTE]And people do 'offensive' satiracle drawings of Christian religious figures all the time.Islam feels that it is special; that every country in the world must listen to it and that type of thing.[/QUOTE]
We had a riot from the Christian church a while ago, it was on the news and stuff. The Christian society was complaining about a poster of Maria with a naked breast. So these things aren't only happening with the Islam.

[QUOTE]Thus, when somone in some random country rights somthing offensive about the Muslims, they feel the world should bend over backwards to make sure that nothing offensive can ever be writen about them.[/QUOTE]
See, it's generalisations and tensions that cause this particular event to being so huge. Every since 9/11, Muslims are so generalised that nothing can be said about either side without being blown out of proportion or ending in a riot. It's a simple cause and effect. I'm sure the Muslims feel the whole world is against them at this moment in time, and to be honest I don't blame them.

[QUOTE]everyone is offended at one point or another... they move on. For some reason the Muslism can't..[/QUOTE]
I don't see the Western world move on ever since it was 'offended' since 9/11. I don't see the Western world move on and stop staring at people different than them. If the Muslims are unable to move on, we are too.

[QUOTE]Ok, are you familiar with the term 'SATIRE'?[/QUOTE]
Yes I am, and satires are acceptable. There are many good ones out there.

[QUOTE]This of course is a failed attempt at satire, as it lacked any wit or originality, but you get the point.[/QUOTE]
But then why should I be familiar with the term Satire if it wasn't even close to anything like that? This was close-mindedness at its worst. The stupidity here isn't Mohamed, it's the person who drew the cartoons. Of course it was not consciously meant to be unfunny and tasteles, but that's often the case with stupid mistakes.

[QUOTE]SNL, The Daily Show, Rick Mercer Report[/QUOTE]
I've never seen any of these shows, so I can't tell you how serious they make fun of things.

[QUOTE]You don't hear GWB demanding John Stewart's head when he cracks a joke about him[/QUOTE]
Well that's one person. To the Muslims, it's their whole living style being made fun of. If there's one thing as close to daily life of them, it's Religion. And of course, those jokes are probably tasteful and did work out. It's nothing that can be compared with the cartoons.

Religion and politics... Never works out. >>

[QUOTE]Do you really think that? If relations between the two worlds would have been better, I'm sure they would. It'd be like tasteless the Netherlands-Belgian jokes are over here. But with the tensions these last years, it was bound to happen.[/QUOTE][FONT=Times New Roman]
[COLOR=Sienna]
Yes, yes I do. It was tastless, but people have the right to be tastless. If the Mid Easterners don't like it... tough.[/COLOR]
[/FONT]
[QUOTE]We had a riot from the Christian church a while ago, it was on the news and stuff. The Christian society was complaining about a poster of Maria with a naked breast. So these things aren't only happening with the Islam.[/QUOTE]
Which is a fairly rare event... it happens, but it seems to me that whenever even the slightest little thing offends Islam, the extreme fundis of the Mid East are burning flags and screaming death-chants and that kind of garbage. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE] See, it's generalisations and tensions that cause this particular event to being so huge. Every since 9/11, Muslims are so generalised that nothing can be said about either side without being blown out of proportion or ending in a riot. It's a simple cause and effect. I'm sure the Muslims feel the whole world is against them at this moment in time, and to be honest I don't blame them.[/QUOTE]
It's events like this that lead people to believe that these generalizations are well founded. When they go to pieces and start burning flags and demanding death and the kind of crap over nothing, it's their own actions that give this impression.
[/COLOR][/FONT]
[QUOTE]
I don't see the Western world move on ever since it was 'offended' since 9/11. I don't see the Western world move on and stop staring at people different than them. If the Muslims are unable to move on, we are too.[/QUOTE]

Yes of course... because 3,000 innocent people being killed in a vicous terrorist attack is comprable in scale to a cartoon...

[QUOTE]
But then why should I be familiar with the term Satire if it wasn't even close to anything like that? This was close-mindedness at its worst. The stupidity here isn't Mohamed, it's the person who drew the cartoons. Of course it was not consciously meant to be unfunny and tasteles, but that's often the case with stupid mistakes.
[/QUOTE][COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Times New Roman]
It was Satire - not good satire and funny satire, but satire nontheless. i.e not serious. A joke. A bad joke is still a joke. [/COLOR]
[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Sandy]Currently the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Syria are on fire. I don't know about any casualties, but more than likely there are at least some.

All because stupid comics... X([/QUOTE]
[size=1]Are you [i]kidding me?[/i] It's all so ludicrous -- burning down embassies just because of a cartoon? I mean, I can understand feeling offended, but this is waaaay past the line of 'reasonable.'

It's moments like these that make me wonder if all negatives of religion outweigh the positives.[/size]

Hmmm that's indeed idiotic. >> The reactions are really getting out of hand. Regardless of my opinion in this, I don't agree.

People seem to think this was all organised beforehand. The cartoons were published in Denmark in September, but all of a sudden this anger is rising again about 6 months later!

[quote name='Ziggy Stardust][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]Yes of course... burn down the embassies! That'll convince people you're not terrorists![/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]You are beginning to f**king piss me off. You wanna make it your little stupid mission to oppose every single pro-Religious post in this thread? Some people have already stated the "sticks and stones" philosophy. And that's fine if you feel that way. But if some punk like you is going to go ahead and mock all Muslims in the world (I'm Muslim), then I'll be damned if I'm just going to sit here and take it.

You think all Muslims are terrorists/ idiots? When you [B]PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A**[/B], feel free to come back and post. For every single stupid psycho terrorist who claims to be a Muslim there are many, many pacifist Muslims (who obviously, get zero attention from the media, but that's the way it is.) You think those ******** deserve to be labled Muslim? They deserve to be labled **** in my opinion. But you know what? So do you!

Yes I agree that this embassy-attacking is way out of line, and I'm all for holding an AK-47 to their damn heads and giving them hell.

According to you, some "petty" people want to boycott a country? Well, guess what, idiot? They [I]have the right to do it.[/I] If those idiots in the Danish newspaper claim "freedom of speech", then the Middle East can claim "freedom of expression". And there ain't jack **** you can do about it.

Get the hell over yourself, instead of mocking a region you don't know about and obviously will never understand.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Your Mother][SIZE=1]You are beginning to f**king piss me off. You wanna make it your little stupid mission to oppose every single pro-Religious post in this thread? Some people have already stated the "sticks and stones" philosophy. And that's fine if you feel that way. But if some punk like you is going to go ahead and mock all Muslims in the world (I'm Muslim), then I'll be damned if I'm just going to sit here and take it.

You think all Muslims are terrorists/ idiots? When you [B]PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A**[/B], feel free to come back and post. For every single stupid psycho terrorist who claims to be a Muslim there are many, many pacifist Muslims (who obviously, get zero attention from the media, but that's the way it is.) You think those ******** deserve to be labled Muslim? They deserve to be labled **** in my opinion. But you know what? So do you!

Yes I agree that this embassy-attacking is way out of line, and I'm all for holding an AK-47 to their damn heads and giving them hell.

According to you, some "petty" people want to boycott a country? Well, guess what, idiot? They [I]have the right to do it.[/I] If those idiots in the Danish newspaper claim "freedom of speech", then the Middle East can claim "freedom of expression". And there ain't jack **** you can do about it.

Get the hell over yourself, instead of mocking a region you don't know about and obviously will never understand.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][FONT=Times New Roman]
[COLOR=Sienna]
I in no way think that all Muslims are terrorists etc. But a lot of people do - hence the bomb-in-turban thing. I was commenting on these individuals, who feel that in order to stand up for their prophet, who was a peaceful individual, they should commit acts of terrorism. Those are the people I'm calling stupid.

And yes they have every right to boycot a country... but it still doesn''t make any sense, because, from a purely economical POV, they both end up losing money. They also blame all of Denmark because of one random comic; tell me that isn't petty and childish? Kinda I'm-taking-my-ball-and-going-home-ish, don't ya think?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=crimson] Mother, pull your head from your own ***, take a step back, and really look at what's being said here.

Is anybody mocking the religion? no, they're calling out what the rioters are doing as absurd and ridiculous, which, by the way...

[quote name='Your Mother][size=1'] Yes I agree that this embassy-attacking is way out of line, and I'm all for holding an AK-47 to their damn heads and giving them hell. [/quote]
[size=2]Is what you seem to be agreeing with, quite, um, enthusistically. :animestun[/size]

[quote name='Your Mother][/size][size=1] According to you, some "petty" people want to boycott a country? Well, guess what, idiot? They [i]have the right to do it.[/i'] If those idiots in the Danish newspaper claim "freedom of speech", then the Middle East can claim "freedom of expression". And there ain't jack **** you can do about it.[/quote]
[size=2]Just like I have a right to call them out on how petty, childish and blatantly immature it is to boycott a country that didn't endorse the cartoons in itself. Like I said, the real targets of the boycotts and the complaints (not bombings and burnings, for goodness sake!) should be the newspaper itself. [/color]
[/size][/size]

The Newspaper was politically incorrect in what they did but to ha a PM apologize and people boycot a country is stupid. You dont see black people or any other minority out boycotting the US because of the Aryan Today newspaper, which makes Muhammad with a bomb look like nothing. I dont think the cartoon was meant to be rascist as much as it was showing a dislike towards religon. i myself have multiple pictures ans stuff all making fun of Jesus Muhammad Moses Buddha and even Satan, and they are funny as hell. Im not a rascist and I have friends who are of all these religons its just I honestly dont like religon. i think the news paper should apologize and then thats it, done.

[quote name='AnimeFront'] i think the news paper should apologize and then thats it, done.[/quote]

But honestly, it won't be just "done" with it. These riots go a lot deeper than mere comics (that were published [I]half a year[/I] ago!).

The muslim extremists are just looking for an excuse to extend this "jihad" of theirs to Europe as well, and now they are using these comics as a weapon. Most of the rioters have obviously fallen for the propaganda (it's like the Nazis ruling again; people blindly follow whatever few madmen say).

And I'm only talking about the burnings and threats - of course muslims have the right to complain when their religion is being mocked, I just wish they'd do it in a civilized, humane way (like I bet the vast majority of muslims are doing).

So I believe that even if the newspaper apologizes (if it hasn't already, I don't know), it will have little effect on the most enfuriated rioters.

This has gotten out of hands, this Bush's war against terrorism. I never believed for a second that anything good could become of it - all it has caused is that the east and the west are in a similar no-escape situation as in Israel. :(

I used to feel glad I'm living so far off everything that's related to the war, but now it's spreading to Finland's neighboring countries. I can't feel safe anymore... X(

[Font=Arial]Just to point something out here. The comcis were republished within the last couple of weeks in Germany, Spain, France and a couple other countries. That's what's really upsetting, I think.[/font]

[quote name='JJ][Font=Arial']Just to point something out here. The comcis were republished within the last couple of weeks in Germany, Spain, France and a couple other countries. That's what's really upsetting, I think.[/font][/quote][FONT=Times New Roman]
[COLOR=Sienna]
I recall reading that, predictably, most of these magazines were Chritian-oriented magazines. So maybe it's not the nationality that should be troublieng.

*Yes I know I'll get flamed for this*[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=#004a6f]Okay, I think we all agree that rioting, and embassy burnnign is not the appropriate thing to do on the muslim's part. And we all agree the cartoons are racists, offensive, and simply not good taste.

I think we should talk about now, wether people should have the right to publish these kinds of cartoons. Many of you have argued for complete free speech. Do you honestly think that free speech means people can spread lies?

Those cartoonists, and their newspaper, are a bunch of cowards --spreading lies, and offending muslims under the guise of freedom of speech. When one insults Muhammad, it's a big, big, deal, because not only do muslims love and respect their prophet, they take him as the example of good conduct and behaviour. If one insults, Muhammad, he insults all muslims.

When people read these cartoons, some of them actuallty believe them, and eventually, people will hate muslims, they will see them as dangerous, and eventually, people will want to exterminate muslims.

The holocaust started out with racist cartoons published in newspapers like these. They spread lies, and caused people to hate Jews, and many people in germany had no problem with jes being exterminated, simply because they believed the lies they were told.

So think about it. Do you support ignorance and racism, and those who spread them under the guise of "free speech"?[/COLOR]