OtakuBoards

Offensive cartoons in Denmark

Roxie Faye

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]This is why religion frustrates me so much... it's so damn easy to drive religious people to extremes. I mean, ****, if this was a cartoon about, say, GWB, we'd all find it either plain un-funny or chuckle or whatever, but as soon as religion gets invovled, it's a damn national issue. I really hate that religious groups (The extremists; please keep that in mind, I'm talking about the EXTREMISTS) feel that they some special niche reserved for them... that they're not allowed to be offended... It's just illogical that they can go to these extremes over a CARTOON!

I'm just frustrated...

[SIZE=1]*Braces for flames*[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Arial]This sort of relates to my "You Can't Say That" thread, doesn't it! Good timing, now I know what to say. =D

Regardless of how offensive something might be to a certain group, it doesn't make it illegal. Free speech means saying whatever you want, even though it might offend or insult somebody. Free press is the same thing. I'm not Danish, or even Muslim, so I can't really relate to the way any side of this conflict feels, but I am interested in things dealing with freedom of speech and other means of self-expression.

Like on a video I watched in which a bunch of Catholics were protesting the movie Dogma, claiming it to be a hate crime and offensive. They never had to watch the movie, ever, and will never have to. They just wasted their time with the assembly, really.

The only thing that anyone can debase the newspaper for is it's racist (for lack of a better term) cartoon. The Muslim people can simply not read that paper ever again, and I'll bet that would hurt it more than help it. If they wanted, they could print their own anti-that-newspaper-comic, and it would be perfectly legal.

Free speech is free speech is free speech.[/FONT]

The Daily show is currently making a mockery of the muslim response to the comic. It really put's things into perspective.

"Muslim protesters in Indonesia stormed the Danish Embasy, swimming through the moat. And you thought they were just paranoid."

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1]The Colbert Report tonight on Comedy Central mentioned the uproar in the Middle East. On of the side of the muslim world, Colbert did some satirical pictures of Danes, but I'm pretty sure they're not going to kill people and burn buildings...[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I don't have the time at the moment to read all the posts, but I read most of the first page, and some one mentioned that no one in America goes around painting Jesus on crack. This is true, but I take it you've never scene some of the shirts and pictures in the "Punk music scene" With in the punk scene there is a lot of anti-religious sentiment. Mostly aimed at Christians but that is because they are the largest religion with in the western world.

*WARNING* do not look at links if easily offended, or you will take my presenting this information as a personal attack. I?m just pointing out that stuff like this happens here in America too, just not in newspapers. Just felt this would be informative, sorry if this has already been stated. And again my aim here is to inform, not to offend, I leave that to the bands them selves.

[url]http://interpunk.com/itemimages3/100717.gif[/url]

[url]http://interpunk.com/itemimages3/85433.jpg[/url]

[url]http://interpunk.com/itemimages3/99711.jpg[/url]

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]
My mother's friend's daughter, who's 11 or 12 I think is writing a letter to the Danish prime minister. In Toronto, there are peaceful protests. Is there anything wrong with that?

It's as though you expect us to bow down to the west as though they're some higher being. I'm not going to support Denmark instead of standing up for my religion and my prophet. I will stand up for my religion, AND protest against the meanignless riots directed at the Danish people.

Got a problem with that?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I do have a problem with it when you're protesting against a country for letting them have freedom of the press. Muslims have never been too big on freedom of speech though (especially arabic muslims) so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Harry']I do have a problem with it when you're protesting against a country for letting them have freedom of the press. Muslims have never been too big on freedom of speech though (especially arabic muslims) so I wouldn't expect you to understand.[/quote]

[color=darkslateblue] Dude, wtf. That last part was a low blow and completely unnecesary.

Now I haven't read every post in this thread, I'm sorry, but to people saying that this is too much of an uproar against just cartoons, obviously you should realize that then the uproar is really NOT only about the cartoons. It is a long build-up of tensions between the Muslims and the government. The cartoons were just the thing that tipped everything over.

Considering that Europe has endured three major terrorist events, relations between Europeans and the Muslims aren't exactly hunky-dory over there. So, European governments should start working on making new policies or some structural changes to adapt. The social and economic isolation that Muslims face should be something the government should be concerned about, as well as building good relations with Muslim leaders. If they don't, stuff will happen and bigger problems will occur. It doesn't help that Denmark just passed some new laws or whatever making citizenship harder to obtain and putting restrictions on inter-racial marraiges.

And also, the people who freaking made the cartoons should be somewhat ashamed. Yeah, I believe in freedom of speech and whatnot, but obviously if they knew something like drawing Muhammed was considered sacriligeous and very offensive.... Seriously, what point were they trying to make? Ok, whatever, I guess they're 'brave' or whatever, but they should just shut up and sit down and have a little think-over about what they did.[/color]

[quote name='Lunox][color=darkslateblue'] And also, the people who freaking made the cartoons should be somewhat ashamed. Yeah, I believe in freedom of speech and whatnot, but obviously if they knew something like drawing Muhammed was considered sacriligeous and very offensive.... Seriously, what point were they trying to make? Ok, whatever, I guess they're 'brave' or whatever, but they should just shut up and sit down and have a little think-over about what they did.[/color][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I agree that they should be ashamed for making the cartoons, but some of the Muslims should be ashamed for their response to the cartoons: [/COLOR]

[URL=http://www.harktheherald.com/content/view/166245/3/][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]Muslim cleric offers bounty on Muhammad cartoonists[/B][/COLOR][/URL]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I can understand that they are upset over them, but I do not agree with this type of response. Wanting someone dead over a cartoon shows, in my opinion, a complete lack of maturity. [/COLOR]