OtakuBoards

Offensive cartoons in Denmark

Roxie Faye

[color=#9933ff]So here's the story: Denmark has complete freedom of the press, just like there is freedom of the press in America. Some Danish political cartoonists or whoever published cartoons of Muhammed the prophet in their Danish newspaper. These cartoons were NOT nice at all, one of which depicts him with a bomb inside a turban on his head (I saw it. ><). Furthermore,Islam prohibits ANY depictions of Muhammed, favorable or not, for fear of idolatry. So it wasn't just a case of political satire, but rather, deeply violated the beliefs of a religion.

Many countries in the Middle East have either pulled out their ambassadors from Denmark, or their ambassadors have lodged complaints with the government of Denmark. Millions of people in the Middle East have begun to completely boycott any and all products that come from Denmark. I read that even in the UAE (United Arab Emrates), women were out in the streets protesting the Danish.

The newspaper has already apologized deeply to those of the Islamic faith, but the PM (I think it's a PM) of Denmark has yet to say anything, or apologize to Muslims, or the countries in the middle east. Because, [i]of course[/i] he was elected based on his anti-Muslim sentiments. -___-;

A kid in my history class, who's Egyptian, was really upset - pissed off - about it. He told the class about it a couple days ago, so that's where I first heard about it and then I read it in the news, too. He told everyone, and they didn't seem to get it; he had to reiterate the fact that they were offensive, and I had to explain that no one's supposed to draw pictures of Muhammed, and then people got it. Well, actually, if you're a fundamentalist (*not* that you're a terrorist - fundamentalist in that you follow the Quran to the letter; there are Christian fundamentalists who do the same thing with the bible.), you're not supposed to draw pictures of people at all, but I would imagine for anyone who is Muslim, it would be very offensive to hear about.

Opinions? Reactions? If you're Muslim, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion, as well. [/color]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1]It goes without saying that this is extremely sick. I really thought that Europe was more open-minded than America, but I suppose not. I have yet to see or hear of an American newspaper publishing something as racist as that about those from the Middle East.

Denmark really should grow up a bit -- and that's coming from an [i]American[/i] (heh).[/size]

[color=crimson]Since the country has total freedom of the press, there will be opposing views aired through it and yes, even the odd un-pc cartoon.

As far as I can tell, nobody is forcing Muslims to hold up this paper, flick to the 'toons, and watch their leader get lampooned. There's a simple addage for every day life that comes in very handy, and that is, if you don't like it, don't watch/view it. It's simple.

The Middle Eastern states that are pulling out their ambassadors are being petty and childish. I mean, seriously, they're straining relations with a [b]country[/b] over a [b]newspaper's[/b] cartoon, where's the grip on reality here?[/color]

[color=black][quote][color=#9933ff] The newspaper has already apologized deeply to those of the Islamic faith, but the PM (I think it's a PM) of Denmark has yet to say anything, or apologize to Muslims, or the countries in the middle east. Because, [i]of course[/i] he was elected based on his anti-Muslim sentiments. -___-;[/quote][/color]

[color=crimson] Just how is this the Prime Minister's fault? Why should the country be penalised with ministerial withdraws when it was the choice of a newspaper editor to run the cartoon? Why go down that route at all? The newspaper has apologised, as far as I'm concerned, the newspaper is the only ones that need apologise, for it was their decision and action.

No doubt the cartoon is in bad taste, but with a country that has freedom of the press on the scale of Denmark, you're going to get a few toes trodden onm [i]you're going to get people offened[/i]. The best way to deal with an offense that has slighted you is to take a deep breath, step back, and remove the offending cartoon from sight.[/color]
[/color]

I'd agree with Ruckus that freedom of speech should mean freedom of speech. If muslim citizens have a problem with it, they should talk to the newspaper or the artist of the cartoon. The government, by definition of free speech, should have little to do with what newspapers print. Same for the ambassadors, they should take it up with the newspapers.

Besides, why should someone who is obviously not muslim have to conform to muslim laws? I respect anyone's right to be whatever religion they choose, so they don't have to draw pictures of people. Whatever. However, nobody should have to change their actions to encompass someone else's beliefs. They have the option to boycott that newspaper, or not read the comic. I should still be able to read it, if I choose to.

Besides, what's next? Jews protesting the sale of pork?

hi i heard about it here in holland, but indeed i was startled by the fact that a newspaper would do such a thing.
i am not religious actually i am a bit against it, but i restpect it and leave it be.
i have a very good friend wich i visit in denmark whenever i can and we spoke about it.
he doesn`t care about religion at all, but he replied with: it doesn`t matter if it was religious or non religious, it is wrong to depict people in a way that is not true.
i have muslim friends that asked me why can a person say that about another person why does somebody depict a pioneer of an understanding that brings hope and union.
i had some sort of answer: because some people are just plain stupid, and that happens all around the world, this is just pure attention screaming only that person did not think of the concequences for the danish people and the muslims.
indeed that fundamentalism occurs everywhere and because of people with wrong faith and interrests and solutions to gain that interrest not one person or a group of people get the evil eye on them but their entire nation their entire belief gets the blame.
i really like denmark and it`s people my experiences there are unforgetable, but unforgivable the person or persons responsible for that cartoon for embarassing not only the proud inhabbitants of denmark but formost the humilliation of honest people who try to live their lives to their utmost perfection.

so my respect for those honest people and (with exeption of the responsible people) the people of denmark

tak

[SIZE=1]To Rapture Ruckus/Lord Rannos:

You're American, right? Well, I'm Muslim. American, too. Now, as far as I can tell, in our country, no one just goes around painting pictures of Jesus on crack? Why? Because its inappropriate? Because the majority of America is Christian? Becuase it's just plain immature and stupid? All those reasons.

No one is going to [I]appreciate[/I] a stupid stunt like what the newspaper did. It's as if they did it just to piss people off. Which they did. And what the hell do you know about the Middle East? Don't go labeling it as petty and childish. You don't live there. I do. Here, religion is a large part of everyday life.

If the Danish newspaper is "within its rights" to print stupid ****, then the Middle East is "within its rights" to boycott the hell out of the Danish, even if it isn't the best solution. I'd like to see the actions performed by Christians when some prints some crap proclaiming Jesus was gay, or something like that.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']He was the greatest man in history.[/COLOR][/quote]

[color=crimson]Hahaha. Ahh, man. That was funny.

Anyway, the cartoons [i]are[/i] in bad taste [and, actually, not that witty] but the reaction to it by the general public/respective Arab nations is extremely overblown in my opinion. I can understand that they are highly offensive but they do not represent the official views of the government of Denmark and, most likely, the majority of the people of Denmark. An apology is necessary but somehow the hissy fits that are being thrown irritate me.

Oh well. I'm sure it will work out well enough.[/color]

[QUOTE=Your Mother][size=1]To Rapture Ruckus/Lord Rannos:

You're American, right? Well, I'm Muslim. American, too. Now, as far as I can tell, in our country, no one just goes around painting pictures of Jesus on crack? Why? Because its inappropriate? Because the majority of America is Christian? Becuase it's just plain immature and stupid? All those reasons. [/quote]
[color=crimson] [size=2] I'm actually from New Zealand.

So, they may not paint Jesus on crack, there are certainly artists who would slander his name though, ever heard of Marilyn Manson? Well, he's an American who slanders Christ, shock horror! The majority of America may be Christian, that doesn't mean there isn't a minority there that speaks out against it and/or blasphemes the hell out of it once in a while.[/size][/color]

[quote]No one is going to [i]appreciate[/i] a stupid stunt like what the newspaper did. It's as if they did it just to piss people off. Which they did. And what the hell do you know about the Middle East? Don't go labeling it as petty and childish. You don't live there. I do. Here, religion is a large part of everyday life.[/quote]
[color=crimson][size=2]Let's get a couple of things clear here, 1) I did not appreciate the cartoons and it's views, and 2) I don't find them funny or amicable at all.
I, however, find the actions of the leaders of these certain middle eastern countries childish and petty, we're talking governments here, who would remove themselves from diplomacy with another country, because of a cartoon that did not originate fromt he government itself and realistically, could have surfaced anywhere. It's like the Anglican Church withdrawing from America because the Simpsons cartoon regularly shows Homer being bored to death by their religion in a number of episodes. American itself is not to blame, yet those who would disagree with the views of the cartoon are thrown in the same basket as those who penned it, not childish?

[/size][/color]

[quote]
If the Danish newspaper is "within its rights" to print stupid ****, then the Middle East is "within its rights" to boycott the hell out of the Danish, even if it isn't the best solution. I'd like to see the actions performed by Christians when some prints some crap proclaiming Jesus was gay, or something like that.[/size][/QUOTE]
[color=crimson] Corpus Christi? I'm familiar with gay Jesus publications and the movement to make a movie of it, I've seen the backlash to it from the religious leaders and it's very different to what's going on here. The action groups are calling out the perpetrators, not the government in itself. (with the exception of fundies like Pat Robertson, who'd probably want to shoot Hugo Chavez for it.) The response for the most part was metered out to those responsible. In this case, the newspaper and cartoonists themselves should have been at the centre of the furore, boycotts and whatnot, not the government of Denmark in itself. I can understand venting anger and frustration out about a joke in poor taste, and I do think this cartoon was in poor taste, as I've already pointed out.

Freedom of the press means there is no state involvement in what can be published, how then, can you blame the government for the slight when the slight was not theirs to begin with. How is that not childish an petty? I think I'm worldy enough to draw to that conclusion.[/color]

Oh go have a cry. In all seriousness who here has never seen anything offensive toward Mohammed, Jesus, Buddha, and all that lot? And getting the PM of a country to appologies because of a newspapers political comic guy decided to put in print what every rasicst, western country administration, and afraid (uninformed) citizen is thinking? Get off your high horses and get a dose of reality.

I'm rather sure at some point during your lifes (excluding those muslims here, though I know some that have had rippers of jokes!) you've made a 'towel head' joke or some thing equally as cruel or god-forbid rasicst.

As the saying goes; I don't agree with the statement, but I'll die for the right for it to be said. Welcome to free speech.

Really, I think all sides are overreacting. My god, they have a freedom of speach and if they want to make fun of religious figures, then by all means go for it. I don't see a thread or complaints about the various doodles ofJesus/Christianity in the various newspapers around the world. It's the same concept.

Danemark's PM should not have to apologize, he didn't command that the cartoons be printed. You all can be disgusted, repelled and all that jazz, but you know, there's only one person you can set all the blame on for it, seing as how he did make us and all...

By saying they can't/shouldn't do it takes away that freedom of speach.

[quote name='Retri']It goes without saying that this is extremely sick. I really thought that Europe was more open-minded than America, but I suppose not. I have yet to see or hear of an American newspaper publishing something as racist as that about those from the Middle East.[/quote]

What's with the, "Europe's less opened-minded than America" crap? It's one bloody newspaper for crying out loud. And even then classifying Europe under one country is even worse. You're just showing how closed-minded you are.And just because America hasn't attacked Middle Easterners, doesn't mean that the newspapers in America are totally clean.

[quote name='Roxie']Because, of course he was elected based on his anti-Muslim sentiments[/quote]

Not to get off topic, but can you prove this statement?

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]Wait, wait... wait...

Is this a joke? Seriously, this is hilarious. A newspaper, that just so happens to be Danish, makes a cartoon that is Muslims find offensive, and now the Muslim nations are boycotting the Danes and pulling out their ambassadors? And this makes sense where? Muslims have every right to be offended but honestly why the hell would they blame Denmark for this? Freedom of Speech is Freedom of Speech, and if Muslims don't like it than that's their own problem... not Denmark's.

Man I got a real good laugh out of this whole thing.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']Honestly, how would any of you feel if someone printed horrible lies about you or your loved ones?[/COLOR][/quote][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]While I sympathize with Chabichou's anger, I also have to disagree with Retribution. I don't disagree with that it's sick, yes thats a horrible thing to do and the newspaper should give an appropriate apology for offending these people. However, boycotting and pretty much banning Denmark seems a bit [i]harsh[/i] to me, since they however had no say in the matter.

It's like blaming a parent for teaching a kid to open up jars, since he stole a cookie from the teachers. Denmark allows the newspaper, but I'm sure they had no say in the cartoon. I don't think they will give a public apology because this matter is not with them, but the newspaper. If anything, the muslims should boycott the newspaper. Blaming a government just seems a bit extreme to me, and that comes from a Catholic. Even if a newspaper were to post something bad about Jesus, the fault would rest with the people who had done it, not the government.

BTW: Be happy with the country you live in. Just some advice. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[size=2]This is an example of what happens when religion gets tied up in politics. Here's a mathematical analogy to help you.[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]Religion=bad[/size]
[size=2]Politics=bad[/size]
[size=2]Religion + Politics = badbad[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]So, since we all know badbad is worse then bad, and what with bad already being bad, a mixture of religion and politics is really quite bad.[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]The countries that have boycotted Denmark have basically shown the world that they are theocracies, a mixture of corrupt religion and corrupt government. I'm sure there are good people living there, but we have all seen what the combination of two evils brings. It brings terrorism. It brings crusades. It brings war.[/size]
[size=2][/size]
[size=2]Religion and politics are corrupt enough separately. If we cannot eliminate them, then at least keep them separate.[/size]

[font=Trebuchet MS][quote name='MistressRoxie][/font][color=black]Because, of course he was elected based on his anti-Muslim sentiments[/color][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] [quote=JJ][/font'] Not to get off topic, but can you prove this statement?[font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] Check back on Roxie's original formatting. It goes like this:
[quote][/font][color=#9933ff]Because, [i]of course[/i] he was elected based on his anti-Muslim sentiments. -___-;[/color][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] Add the italics and smiley back in, and it's fairly obvious she's being sarcastic! ^_^;;

I'm with Ruckus on this one, really. It's the newspaper's, and ultimately the individual cartoonist's, fault. The Danish government shouldn't need to apologise, Middle Eastern countries shouldn't boycott them, etc. etc. All this has been said, but I will just respond to this:
[quote name='Chabichou][/font][color=#004a6f]The government should condemn the cartoons, and although they shouldn't punish the newspaper (because they didn't break the law), they shouldn't allow them to do this again, or to keep printing these current cartoons, and they should tell the cartoonists to apologize for abusing their freedoms.[/color'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] The government has already condemned the cartoons, I think ... and yes, the newspaper and cartoonist should apologise. I don't know what they were smoking when they decided generalising Muslims as terrorists, and depicting their prophet as one, was a good plan.

But the idea that their freedom should be curtailed really grates with me. I suppose we remove people's freedoms and rights when they commit crimes like theft or murder - by locking them up - but these people haven't actually broken a law. I'm in no way saying what they did was right - it was damn stupid, as I've already said - but they did have the right to do it under freedom of the press. Removing that freedom from people that use it in the "wrong" way is a slippery slope - who decides what is the right and wrong way to exercise freedom of speech? Perhaps cartoons pointing out flaws in the current government leader's policies are overexerting freedom of the press. Start curtailing freedom of speech for that sort of thing, and not only will every political satirist be out of a job, the situation will edge uncomfortably close to fascism, where no one has any right to say anything the governing party disagrees with.

So obviously, the paper should have it outlined to them in no uncertain terms why printing this cartoon was not in anyone's best interests. But their freedom should be left intact. If they do it again, no one looks stupid but them.
[/font]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

For anyone who wants to read about the whole event, Wiki has been kind enough to create an [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons]article[/url]. Personally I'm appalled that this kind of anti-Islamic artistry could not only be created in a European country, but be exported, reprinted and even expanded upon by other nations in Europe. Regardless of the reasoning behind these images, the grievously insulting nature they posses should have been enough to prevent them from ever being printed, and simply hiding behind a freedom of press shield is simply unacceptable. That said it appears as if the paper has since apologised for the images and that the situation has gone past the worst of things. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]It goes without saying that this is extremely sick. I really thought that Europe was more open-minded than America, but I suppose not. I have yet to see or hear of an American newspaper publishing something as racist as that about those from the Middle East.

Denmark really should grow up a bit -- and that's coming from an [i]American[/i] (heh).[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I should point out to you Retri that unlike the Unites States, the European Union is not a political entity, and thus blaming the entirety of Europe for these callous images is in fact an error on your part. That said Europe like the United States varies from state to state in it's relative conservatism.[/SIZE]

For one, I think that people get offended way too easily. Pulling out all of your ambassadors? That's really drastic. And stupid.
And I don't think that they should put restrictions on freedom of speech. Because that wouldn't be FREE speech, that would be limited speech. Like America has.
I think that the newspaper was wrong, but oh well. What can do about it? Cut their heads off? Hang them?
Instead of looking at newspapers, why don't you look at the great world wide web? There's alot of offensive things on here. More so than there is in a newspaper. Heck, there's a website called godhatesfags.com. There are alot of people that face slander, so it's best to just get over it. Life isn't about making everyone happy.

This is what I have to say to those crybabies pulling their ambassadors out of Denmark:
Cry me a river, and then build yourself a bridge to get over it.

[size=1]Right, right, but when I said "Europe" I was basically lumping them together under the assumption they were in fact more liberal and open-minded than America. I never really acknowledged "Europe" or the European Union as a political entity -- just as a region for my own immediate reasons in this conversation. I understand that each area is a different from the next, but on the whole, they are generally accepted (to my knowledge) as more acceptant of difference than Americans.

So when I heard of Denmark's newspapers publishing something as racist as this, the myth in my mind was debunked -- whether it's fair or not of me to lump Europe in together wasn't my point. Admittedly, I shouldn't've done it, but I don't really think it matters a whole lot. The main point I was trying to make is:

- America's newspapers haven't published something this racist for a while.
- Denmark really surprised me with this.
- Denmark [apparently] as acceptant as I thought they were.
- And yes, only Denmark, my bad people, I shouldn't've lumped Europe in with their lot.

As for the reactions to the article -- I can't really blame them all that much when I step back and put myself in their shoes. Yes, at first glance it seems pretty absurd, but I think I'd probably be extremely offended at something equally racist aimed at African Americans. No real telling what I'd do, but I'm not going to dismiss them with a "Cry me a river" attitude.[/size]

[color=#9933ff]Honestly, I can't believe some of you have a "so what, cry me a river attitude." That's horrible.

Here, by the way, is the Wiki entry, for those who want to read: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy[/url]

I think the cartoons were very offensive extremely inappropriate, and Chabichou said it best - they were lies about the prophet, and about Islam. Although they were meant as examples of free press, they're definitely INAPPROPRIATE on any level. If they were cartoons about Jesus on THAT level, you can bet that I would be flipping out worse than any of the Muslim countries, because I would find it extremely offensive to my religion.

Unlike some of you insensitive jerks out there, I actually do cringe when people make distasteful political cartoons out of figures like Jesus, Muhammad, or even Buddha (and other religious icons). I find it to be in poor taste, because yes, it really could offend someone. You know the rule that in polite company you don't talk about 1) politics and 2) religion? Well I would like to apply that rule to making fun of these icons through pictures. Because seriously, you don't know who you could offend. But of course, why is it that people seemingly don't CARE about who they offend? It bothers me too, that EVERYONE in the world seems to be a self-centered, insensitive jerkface, not caring if the trodd on the fundamental beliefs of others.

I mean, I obviously can't say that the artists don't have a right to draw those images, put them in the newspaper, and they don't deserve to go to jail over it, but it was in poor taste, no matter the point they were trying to make, and I don't get how anybody could not care if it was so offensive, or laugh it off, or respond with "cry me a river." I don't know how to express myself very well, but I'm just distraught that no one cares about offending others anymore. I mean, yes things like political correctness can get way out of hand, but I wish that people would just have a decent level of tolerance of others, and a consider how it would feel to be the other guy once in a while. I guess that I just wish people would be a little more moral? Is that what I'm asking for? I dunno, I think so.

I don't think is was a good decision at all to publish these images, especially considering current events of today. I don't think it was smart to offend a group of people that the spotlight is on, right now. And I liked Bill Clinton's response to the images, too - "So now what are we going to do? ... Replace the anti-Semitic prejudice with anti-Islamic prejudice?"

I think the removal of ambassadors was okay. You have to understand - these countries are not a foreign model of American democracy. Their way of life, and their government is centered around religion, like it or not, and of course their government is going to get upset if their religion is offended - that's expected, and anyone who thought their action was out of line - shame on you; you SHOULD HAVE, at least, [i]expected[/i] it. And, I even think that the protest of Danish products was a reasonable action. What did America do when France refused to join us in the war against Iraq? People were encouraged to stop buying French products, and they insisted on calling them "Freedom Fries" in the cafeterias on Washington, to send their message of distaste for the French's action. People do this stuff all the time, and I think it's fine. [size=1](heh, then again, I hate the French gov't. I spent ten minutes bashing their government and military today in English class, incidentally, just after Music Theory where I spent ten minutes rating about how non-html-standards compliant internet explorer was/how crappily it renders HTML, and telling everyone to use a diff. browser. *_* Okay okay, I'm shutting up! :X )[/size]

I did read of a lot of violence incited in the Middle East because of the pictures - that is NOT okay, and in fact, makes Muslims out to be the very type of people depicted in those cartoons. Grow some common sense, and stop trying to bomb people - it's gotten you no where for HOW long? Do you think it's going to help now?

I would also like to point out that I have seen here and there, a growing population of Muslims in Europe, and a shunting of these people by native Europeans; in short, anti-islamic sentiments, much like, historically, anti-semetic sentiments. For example, I believe, also, that a lot of the Muslims in France are the ones with the low jobs (not all, obviously, but a lot).

You know, the UN, Europe, and England all pushed for the state of Israel not only because they felt sorry for the Jewish people and were sorry about the Holocaust (WHICH THEY WERE - Europe was definitely appalled by the Holocaust, and felt it to be sick and tragic), but in some respects, I feel that they did it also because they figured that by creating the Jewish state of Israel, it was a way to get all of the Jews out of Europe and go somewhere else. I don't understand why Europe was never tolerant of them in the first place, and I certainly don't understand why there is the same distaste for Muslims in Europe, now.

If you would, I would like feed back from Europeans, as I'm kind of expecting that you all will disagree with me and my own beliefs, and flame me to pieces, so I'd like to hear your side of it. (I will listen and think about it, though I can't say I'll have the strength to argue back. *falls over dead from flames*)

And what about American intolerance toward Muslims? A lot, a little? I don't think we're *that* intolerant, but it may be because of where I live - maybe it's different in different parts of the country, but I think it's less of an issue here, because we're such a melting pot already, and always have been, you know? So where you're from (er, what you believe) isn't as much as an issue of who you are now in America, and who you want to be.

Definitely going to get chewed out for this post - *shrugs.* If any response comes from me, it'll def. be Saturday evenin' (Acadec Competition Sat. = crazy! Let's beat 'Po's butt. We want a toilet bowl of an award for Super Quiz!!! ^_^).[/color]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]Right, right, but when I said "Europe" I was basically lumping them together under the assumption they were in fact more liberal and open-minded than America. I never really acknowledged "Europe" or the European Union as a political entity -- just as a region for my own immediate reasons in this conversation. I understand that each area is a different from the next, but on the whole, they are generally accepted (to my knowledge) as more acceptant of difference than Americans.

So when I heard of Denmark's newspapers publishing something as racist as this, the myth in my mind was debunked -- whether it's fair or not of me to lump Europe in together wasn't my point. Admittedly, I shouldn't've done it, but I don't really think it matters a whole lot. The main point I was trying to make is:

- America's newspapers haven't published something this racist for a while.
- Denmark really surprised me with this.
- Denmark [apparently] as acceptant as I thought they were.
- And yes, only Denmark, my bad people, I shouldn't've lumped Europe in with their lot.

As for the reactions to the article -- I can't really blame them all that much when I step back and put myself in their shoes. Yes, at first glance it seems pretty absurd, but I think I'd probably be extremely offended at something equally racist aimed at African Americans. No real telling what I'd do, but I'm not going to dismiss them with a "Cry me a river" attitude.[/size][/QUOTE][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]

So one random Danish cartoon done by some random Danish cartoonist, published in some random Danish newspaper makes all of Denmark close-minded and intolerent? This same comic was reprinted by some random Chrisitan newspaper aswell, does that make them 'close-minded and Islamophobic' (Does it?)? What about the German magazine that reprinted it, Germans must be intolerent (Er... bad example). Come on, this is just a hilarious example of OVERREACTION! People have a right to their opinion - whatever it may be! That's free-speech! Now unless you feel like abolishing free-speech, why don't we all just laugh this off and go on with our day?[/COLOR][/FONT]

I'm a lazy *** and many of the answers were sooo long, but here's my opinion in a nutshell:

The cartoons were hugely offensive in my opinion, completely not done. Definitely not funny either, since my definition of humor is that as long as the person targeted can laugh with it, it's good humor. With a community this is obviously harder, but it still applies.

I just heard on the news people can't understand why there are riots about it everywhere. They understand why people are offended, but not why they're burning flags or throwing stones at windows.

I'd say go for it, as long as no people are hurt! They should damn right show that freedom of speech has its limits.

(I am not against freedom of speech, but it has to be said or expressed in a decent way)

[COLOR=#004a6f]This is so horrible, more and more people are creating their own offensive cartoons, and posting them on the web. They're even worse than the ones in the newspapers.

[QUOTE]Several artists (both professional and amateur) have created their own responses to the controversy over the Danish cartoons. Many of the artists expressed their mockery of and disdain for the Muslim world's violent reaction with new Mohammed depictions that are intentionally direspectful and/or obscene, to make a point about freedom of speech. [/QUOTE]Now THAT, is childish. And plain unnecessary. Don't these artists realize they are offending all muslims with these images, not just the rioters?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]This is so horrible, more and more people are creating their own offensive cartoons, and posting them on the web. They're even worse than the ones in the newspapers.

Now THAT, is childish. And plain unnecessary. Don't these artists realize they are offending all muslims with these images, not just the rioters?[/COLOR][/QUOTE][FONT=Times New Roman]
[COLOR=Sienna]
If parts of the Muslim world are going to do somthing childish like boycotting all of Denmark, is it surprising that the worlds idiots are going to respond in kind? Just ignore them... they're welcome to their opinion and you're welcome to not give a ****.

EDIT: Ok, for those who don't know, let me break down the cartoon for you: On September 30, 2005, the daily newspaper Jyllands-Posten ("The Jutland Post") published an article titled "Muhammeds ansigt"[4] ("Muhammad's face"). The article consisted of 12 satirical drawings of Muhammad and an explanatory text, in which Flemming Rose, Jyllands-Posten's culture editor, commented:

The modern, secular society is rejected by some Muslims. They demand a special position, insisting on special consideration of their own religious feelings. It is incompatible with contemporary democracy and freedom of speech, where you must be ready to put up with insults, mockery and ridicule. It is certainly not always equally attractive and nice to look at, and it does not mean that religious feelings should be made fun of at any price, but that is less important in this context. [...] we are on our way to a slippery slope where no-one can tell how the self-censorship will end. That is why Morgenavisen Jyllands-Posten has invited members of the Danish editorial cartoonists union to draw Muhammad as they see him. [...]" [5]

After an invitation from Jyllands-Posten for around forty different artists to give their interpretation on how Muhammad may have looked, twelve different caricaturists chose to respond with a drawing each. These twelve drawings portray Muhammad in different fashions; many also comment on the surrounding self-censorship debate. In the clockwise direction of their position in the page layout:

* The face of Muhammad as a part of the Islamic star and crescent symbol. His right eye the star, the crescent surrounds his beard and face. (I don't know, is that offensive?)
* The most controversial drawing shows Muhammad with a bomb in his turban, with a lit fuse and the Islamic creed written on the bomb. (Ok, that's offensive)
* Muhammad standing with a halo in the shape of a crescent moon. (I don't get that one...)
* An abstract drawing of crescent moons and Stars of David, and a poem on oppression of women "Profet! Med kuk og knald i låget som holder kvinder under åget!". In English the poem could be read as: "Prophet! daft and dumb, keeping woman under thumb" (Yea, offensive)
* Muhammad as a peaceful wanderer, in the desert, at sunset. There is a donkey in the background. (Oh those damnable evil Islamophobic Danes!)
* One shows a nervous caricaturist, shakingly drawing Muhammad while looking over his shoulder. (To tell you the thruth, that actually made me chuckle... not really offensive IMO but whatever)
* Two angry Muslims charge forward with sabres and bombs, while Muhammad addresses them with: "Rolig, venner, når alt kommer til alt er det jo bare en tegning lavet af en vantro sønderjyde" (loosely, "Relax guys, it's just a drawing made by some infidel South Jutlander". The reference is to a common Danish expression for a person from the middle of nowhere.) (Again, not really offensive... making light of Muslim doctrine, but really not enough to warrent a 'Zomg ban the Danes!'
* An Asian-looking boy in front of a blackboard, pointing to the Farsi chalkings, which translate into "the editorial team of Jyllands-Posten is a bunch of reactionary provocateurs". The boy is labelled "Mohammed, Valby school, 7.A", implying that this Muhammed is a second-generation immigrant to Denmark rather than the man Muslims believe was a prophet. On his shirt is written "Fremtiden" (the future). According to the editor of Jyllands Posten, he didn't know what was written on the blackboard before it was published. (wtf?)
* Another drawing shows an angry Muhammad with a short sabre and a black bar censoring his eyes. He is flanked by two women in niqaabs, having only their eyes visible. (Again, don't get it...)
* Muhammad standing on a cloud, greeting dead suicide bombers with "Stop Stop vi er løbet tør for Jomfruer!" ("Stop, stop, we have run out of virgins!"), an allusion to the promised reward to martyrs. (Again, making light of Muslim doctrine but hardly offensive...)
* Another shows KÃ¥re Bluitgen, wearing a turban with the proverbial orange dropping, with the inscription "Publicity stunt". In his hand is a stick drawing of Muhammad. An "orange in the turban" is a Danish proverb meaning "a stroke of luck." (That's actually pretty funny... not even about Mohammed)

-Wikipedia

Really, comon people! This is just a piece of satire, a funny little comic that you see EVERYWHERE! The only reason this is news is because the Religious people in this world are so incredibly easy to offend that they'd go to such ludicrous lengths as to boycott an entire nation over this... it's absoultely STUPID and the people being the most childish are the Muslims![/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=#004a6f][quote name='Ziggy Stardust][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]If parts of the Muslim world are going to do somthing childish like boycotting all of Denmark, is it surprising that the worlds idiots are going to respond in kind? Just ignore them... they're welcome to their opinion and you're welcome to not give a ****[/COLOR][/FONT'].[/quote]It's just that it feels like the wrong thing to do to ignore these images. It's a sign of good character to ignore nasty remarks made at you, but not ones directed at someone else, especially one you care about. I think many of the rioters are doing what they do, because the feels it's actually wrong to remain silent. We are standing up for our prophet.

I definitely don't think we should remain silent, or ignore the images. Just because we don't look at the images, it doesn't mean others won't. These images are spreading lies, and many people ignorant of our religion, of what are prophet really was, will see these images and accept them as truth. It's important for muslims to spread the truth about our religion, and standing back while our prophet, our religion and our dignity is being attacked just isn't the right thing to do. We need to make our voices heard (but without resorting to violence of course).[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]It's just that it feels like the wrong thing to do to ignore these images. It's a sign of good character to ignore nasty remarks made at you, but not ones directed at someone else, especially one you care about. I think many of the rioters are doing what they do, because the feels it's actually wrong to remain silent. We are standing up for our prophet.

I definitely don't think we should remain silent, or ignore the images. Just because we don't look at the images, it doesn't mean others won't. These images are spreading lies, and many people ignorant of our religion, of what are prophet really was, will see these images and accept them as truth. It's important for muslims to spread the truth about our religion, and standing back while our prophet, our religion and our dignity is being attacked just isn't the right thing to do. We need to make our voices heard (but without resorting to violence of course).[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]
So in order to dispel the lies about your religion, you riot and boycott a country? This is sure to make everyone think of Islam as a less radical, peace-loving religion!

KÃ¥re Bluitgen (born May 10, 1959) is a Danish writer and journalist whose works include a biography of Muhammad. When he wrote Koranen og profeten Muhammeds liv (English: The Qur'an and the life of the Prophet Muhammad ISBN 87-638-0049-7), he apparently had difficulty finding illustrators to draw Muhammad for the book, for fear of reprisals from Islamic extremists. Jyllands-Posten responded by asking 40 illustrators to make drawings of Muhammad, 12 of which were published in the newspaper, September 30, 2005, sparking the Muhammad Drawings case.

-Wikipedia

See? This whole thing is just a big joke! An overreaction and a misunderstanding! [/COLOR][/FONT]