OtakuBoards

Abstract Insanity

Derald

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]Hello, I am insane. Why am I insane? Because I fall under that label in society.

Seriously though, what really draws the line when it comes to sanity? What is it that separates "regular" and "abnormal" when it comes to behavior? As far as I see, it's all just point-of-view. Did it ever occur to you that [B]you[/B] may be the one who is insane, and the accused is perfectly normal? What [B]is[/B] insanity?

The reason I titled this thread as such is this: the entire notion of insanity is formless. There is no concrete example of insane. Why? Because no matter how you may view something, it's only your viewpoint, and that something may be the most normal something to someone else.

I've heard a saying that goes, "The only things that separate a genius and a madman are degrees of success." Do you see sense in this saying? Tell me, what, if anything, do you see as insane? Why do you see it as insane? Post your thoughts, and see what the views of others are.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[size=1][color=slategray]Insanity is simply what people classify as "socially unacceptable." You always hear about different mental illnesses, but in truth, everyone has their own sort of mental illness. But I suppose those who are considered literally insane are those whose illness is to a radical extreme that causes their everyday life to be harder. I'm no expert when it comes to all of this, but some people just have a chemical unbalance in their brains that causes them to be so "different."

At least it's better now, in the past, if you had any strange idea whatsoever, your family could throw you into an insane assylum if they saw it fit. That's why mental health institutions used to be so popular, because if you had a thought that disturbed other people, you were crazy. In fact, I have an MHI right up the street from my house. In the past thirty years, the amount of patients has decreased dramatically, since more people are accepting to originality and individuality, etc.

I don't think there will ever be a good explanation for "insanity" and saying that someone's mind is messed up is right. How would you know if there is something actually "wrong"? You don't know how their mind works, because you are not them.

But, I think that there is the fact that there are chemical unbalances. This can cause oddities in behavior, but I think that the person would at least have some piece of mind left, something that would still work correctly.
As I said before, I'm no expert, and these are just mainly guesses.[/color][/size]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]I consider someone 'insane' when they become a threat to themselves and those around them. If someone is just a little on the strange side, than that's all they are... as Lix said, socially unacceptable. Little bit odd. I'm a little bit odd myself, but not what I'd classify as insane, yet I'm sure to others I'm a bloody loon. It's all about perspective, as you said. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Lix][size=1][color=slategray]
But, I think that there is the fact that there are chemical unbalances. This can cause oddities in behavior, but I think that the person would at least have some piece of mind left, something that would still work correctly.
As I said before, I'm no expert, and these are just mainly guesses.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]I see where you're coming from, but what is your definition of "oddities in behavior"? The same question with "still work correctly". Chemical imbalances? Sure, they exist, but how do we know it's something wrong? Just because the majority of people on this planet may not show signs of "imbalances" does not mean that others should be categorized as flawed individuals. Where do people get off on setting a standard for sanity?

Anyways, I respect your opinion, and realize you are not an expert.

Later.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I think you're both [I]superficially[/I] right, in that the judgment of someone as sane or insane (or, more properly, mentally ill or not) is never an absolute one and is always to some degree conditioned by social norms and power structures. This is an obvious point that I doubt even most professional psychiatric workers would object to. However, I think you both miss the opportunity to think this through more carefully. Just because "mental illness" is always something relative, and so something always difficult to precisely diagnose, doesn't mean that it isn't real and doesn't matter.

It does nothing to help a man suffering from auditory hallucinations when we tell him that no one's to say whether those sounds are "real" or not. It doesn't comfort a family watching their grandmother lose her memory and descend into wild mood swings when we say that they can't rightfully judge what's happening because they can't "experience" it. It doesn't say much to a student who wants to pay attention in class, but can't, when we suggest that "maybe he's just born that way." And it doesn't mean anything at all to a woman who's been bound to her house by fear, terrified of the panic attacks she gets when she leaves, when we tell her that she's just "special." Just try, in a real situation, to say that mental illness only exists as a point of view, and see how many friends you make among those whose disorders, left untreated, would make it difficult or impossible for them to live meaningful or fulfilling lives.

Again, I do not disagree with saying that mental illness is always judged relatively, in relation to a specific situation. I [i]do[/i] disagree with the sudden leap which says that since mental illness is situation-dependent, it's something which we have no right to judge [i]at all[/i]. It's an old trick, and still a good one, for avoiding taking responsibility for actually doing anything. But, suppose we actually do want to show some concern for these people. Suppose we actually want to try to do them justice. Well, what do we have to consider?

First, there's always some kind of normalization going on in any judgment and treatment of mental illness. The physician, the rest of society, and even the patient herself will always be comparing the patient against, and moving her towards, a (roughly defined) boundary for what's "normal" which may be extremely biased, unfair, and unrealistic. The danger is that this comparison may judge her ill based not on any actual ongoing disruption of her life as she wishes and ought to live it, but only because she has bent the "normal" too far, or because she conforms to some prewritten pathological dossier given support by "hard science." It is impossible to get rid of this danger without throwing out treatment along with it; the only method I can think of for dealing with it is to constantly emphasize that we are dealing with [i]human beings[/i], and as such we are always obligated to [i]pay attention[/i] to them. Paying attention, [i]not[/i] well-reasoned inaction driven by relativism, is the only thing that I see as a defense against misdiagnosis and unwarranted normalization.

Second, extreme rigor is needed to make sure that the often very drastic treatment (powerful drugs, etc.) prescribed for mental illness doesn't end up being misused or doing irreversible harm to the patient. I assume everyone knows enough about lobotomies to see the risk here.

Third, if mental illness is only described as a pathology when it begins to interfere with the patient's life (and this is usually how psychiatrists will make the call), then it might be asked whether or not that life can be changed in such a way that the "illness" no longer interferes with it. Or, along the same lines, it might sometimes be worth considering whether it's more suitable for [i]society and the normal[/i] to bend and adjust, rather than having the patient be the one to do so.

This is just a brief and hastily-written overview, but I think it touches on the essential points. I'll just sum up by saying that judging someone's mental illness is always tied up with the question of how to do someone justice, and what may be doing them injustice (such as society or even their own mind). It's not an easy question and it lacks an absolute answer, but I think it's the first step on the road to actually being able to help others in a responsible (though never guaranteed) way. In contrast, forgive me if I'm not able to believe that this concern is also shown by saying, "What is it that separates 'regular' and 'abnormal'...? As far as I see, it's all just point-of-view."

[font=Trebuchet MS][quote name='Derald][/font][font=Tahoma][size=1][color=Sienna]Did it ever occur to you that [b]you[/b] may be the one who is insane, and the accused is perfectly normal?[/color][/size][/font'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] Take me and a person with paranoid schizophrenia (extreme and probably cliched example, but I'm not a clinical psychologist...). I am the normal one, because 'normal' connotes with the prevailing state of the majority, and the majority of people do not have paranoid schizophrenia.

It may not be a happy state of affairs, but what is 'normal' is always going to be defined by the majority.

You could rephrase your question and ask about whose point of view is closer to the truth, and then it might be harder to answer. You see films where the protagonist is considered 'insane' and locked up, but in reality they are the only one that knows the real truth - think [i]Twelve Monkeys, [/i]where Bruce Willis is thought of as mad because he claims to be from the future, which, in the context of the film, he actually is. The people labelling him as mad are still 'normal' and he is still 'abnormal', but in this (fictional) case, the minority is in the right.

It's no good questioning whether those we consider 'insane' are actually 'normal' and vice versa, because it isn't the case; in terms of mental state, I am normal and the paranoid schizophrenic is not. Questioning whether maybe those we consider 'insane', through their altered (but not necessarily 'incorrect') point of view, may have a handle on things we with our 'normal' (but not necessarily 'correct') point of view cannot fathom - that's an idea with some discussion value.
[/font]

Wierdness doesn't equal insanity. There are tons of people who are considered "wierd" that I wouldn't consider insane. Heck, I'm one of the wierdest people I know. Insanity, in my mind, is the term to be used when this "wierdness" starts hurting people. That's really the only time people should be thrown into a mental assylum. Long story short: Osama Bin Laden is insane, Stalking Cat is just a wierd dude with too much free time.

Insanity is defined by the majority. The majority of people don't think the walls are always closing in, therefore people who do think that are insane. The majority of people don't have voices in their heads that tell them to burn things, therefore people who do are insane. That's pretty much all there is to it.

There are also chemical imbalances in the brain that can cause insanity.

I think insanity is a point of view in some cases. In some cases insanity is simply who's got more on their team thinking the same way in a society. In other cases it is a chemical imbalance in a person's brain.

If you cant function in society and it's really effecting your life, then you should seek the help of a professional, because it could be a disorder.

I'd go on in more detail but I just posted a huge thing in a similar thread.
[URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=52790]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=52790[/URL]

[quote name='KatanaViolet']If you cant function in society and it's really effecting your life, then you should seek the help of a professional, because it could be a disorder.[/quote]

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]I find this funny. Why do I find this funny? Because I guess that people are starting to believe that there really is something wrong with me.

Regardless, I just felt like striking up a random thread about a subject in which everybody's views are generally already decided because of what the overwhelming majority dictates, thus forming an idealogically closed mind. Yet I thought more people would break away from the majority and try to think out of the box, assuming there is one (since society might dictate otherwise), regardless of whether or not it's all hypothetical.

I don't know, my mind just works in such an abstract manner, and things come out at the most random of moments. I'm not sure I can even use words to express my thoughts on some subjects since all I get is a formless feeling.

Anyways, this was indeed interesting, although things played out in such a predictable manner, yet I was glad to see some people start to break free from "logical" views.

This was fun, but, please, don't stop now as I still want to see more of how people's views have been shaped.

Later.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

funny you brought up the box thing since i notice it here in my country aswell.
people also say i`m not right in the head just because i dare to explore things of how life should be and what is really there and not what other people don`t want to be there.
notice that society is a group and a group can only function when everybody acts their role, their given role and not what they could have instead.
there is a saying: step out of the square.
i find it true since there is more then just a square only people feel safe living in that square.

so when you are out of that square you are different and since you are out of it and the rest is in it they see you as a danger of their square collapsing and so people act to remain safe.
they stick you in the nut house, they look at you strange as if you are not a person, they exclude you because most of the time you look different, they try to make you feel ridiculous, they try.

feeling these formless things and not being able to take shape, or to addapt your shape to be a shapeless shapeshifter.
i stick out in any group, any location because my mind works different, it is etched into your soul that you are different because you don`t accept a square of lies.
i don`t accept lies, i accept truth, and if it`s the truth that i am different then i accept it and i am not affraid of it, i am not affraid of the square and i`m not affraid of what is outside of that square, it fears me or it doesn`t but i won`t live in fear of what other people label me.
not that i`m reckless, but i do not fear.

fear is useless, nothing can be born from it.
and that is a truth, people in this square live in fear, fine let them if i can pull someone out of it doesn`t work, the mind of that other needs to be different not affraid, and then you become a shape and not just some shape, but a shape worthy of remembrance.

all this makes me look insane right?
but is accepting the truth being insane?
is living without fear insane?
is thinking for yourself insane?

ask yourself such questions and then begin to understand that you must be insane to live in that square.
so for everybody that feels different who knows they are different.
don`t be affraid of being different.
at least you taste life as it should be, at least you can say i am myself in every aspect in my very soul in my very essence of existance.
that just leaves the square to be very small and cramped, sorry but i need some space to live and seek what is true.

[quote name='Ziggy Stardust][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]I consider someone 'insane' when they become a threat to themselves and those around them. If someone is just a little on the strange side, than that's all they are... as Lix said, socially unacceptable. Little bit odd. I'm a little bit odd myself, but not what I'd classify as insane, yet I'm sure to others I'm a bloody loon. It's all about perspective, as you said. [/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]
I think thats ridiculous. Its just you putting that bar between the two in a place that you believe is a more acceptable answear whilst still maintaining a them and us type attitude. I personallyt just think theres varying degrees of madness. At one end the typicall 'insane person' and at the other end the 'normal' person. Or perhaps the normal person is in the middle and at the other end you have the people who are to normal, that conform to much.
Either way there is no line to define them into sections, there is no place at which you become an abnormality it is merly a difference in the way you act, feel, speak or act. It is merly that one person is labeled insane because there QUALITY of madness does not fit into the social and cultural structure and set of norms that are defined and inserted into you at birth onwards. One day it may all change, schitzaprenics are the normal and the non schitzos are locked up for there own protection.
Maybe these variations that occur in people are other possible outcomes for the human mind. Or maybe there the human race producing different things to react the world changing.
'[If we all acted the same we'd breed in weakness]' A really bad quote from GITS, my memory/ mind tends to warp things to how i want to see them. I wonder, does that make me mad. Someone in a white coat did tell me it does once. Does that mean now that my opinion goes out of the window. If not would it if i told you about my moments of glory that have ocasionally become violent, especially in public places.

---------------------

Edit- unrelated to the person i quoted.

I would just like to add to the comment about chemical inbalances. Realistically do you think the chemicals were imbalance to cause the 'weiredness's' or were the weiredness what created the imbalance has a response to someone changing and becoming someone 'insane'..? food for thought isnt it. (probably not, but o well)

Oh, I'm sorry! In my first post I must've assumed we were discussing people who actually had mental and behavioral illnesses severe enough to keep them from living their lives in a fulfilling and meaningful manner, and what obligation society has to help them in whatever way. Had I been paying attention I would have known we were actually talking about how all of us are just TOO NUTS for the rest of the SQUARES to handle!!! They just don't know how to deal with [i]weirdos[/i] like us, man!! That's why they've gotta PERSECUTE us by... you know... by... like, uh... well...

*AHEM*

Anyways we are totally not insane like they say we are!!!! WELL OKAY THEY MAY NOT ACTUALLY SAY WE'RE INSANE AT ALL BUT THEY IMPLY IT WITH THEIR DISAPPROVING GLARES!! The truth is that THEY'RE the insane ones for trying to KEEP US DOWN!!! Our music is too hard for them, our clothes are just [i]pushing the edge and about to break loose[/i]!!!!

They can't handle true madness!!! Down with the man!! Their square ways ain't gonna las-

...s-say, who's that guy sitting in the alley over there? he's been holding his ears and rocking back and forth for the last few minutes, i-it's kinda creepy. dudes let's go rock out how ABNORMAL we are somewhere else, o-okay?

[QUOTE=Fasteriskhead]Oh, I'm sorry! In my first post I must've assumed we were discussing people who actually had mental and behavioral illnesses severe enough to keep them from living their lives in a fulfilling and meaningful manner, and what obligation society has to help them in whatever way. Had I been paying attention I would have known we were actually talking about how all of us are just TOO NUTS for the rest of the SQUARES to handle!!! They just don't know how to deal with [i]weirdos[/i] like us, man!! That's why they've gotta PERSECUTE us by... you know... by... like, uh... well...

*AHEM*

Anyways we are totally not insane like they say we are!!!! WELL OKAY THEY MAY NOT ACTUALLY SAY WE'RE INSANE AT ALL BUT THEY IMPLY IT WITH THEIR DISAPPROVING GLARES!! The truth is that THEY'RE the insane ones for trying to KEEP US DOWN!!! Our music is too hard for them, our clothes are just [i]pushing the edge and about to break loose[/i]!!!!

They can't handle true madness!!! Down with the man!! Their square ways ain't gonna las-

...s-say, who's that guy sitting in the alley over there? he's been holding his ears and rocking back and forth for the last few minutes, i-it's kinda creepy. dudes let's go rock out how ABNORMAL we are somewhere else, o-okay?[/QUOTE]

ok...im completely lost are you all talking about actual insanity or abnormality? I suppose its abnormal for ne to wear a dress shirt jeans and sunglasses everyday like i do because im a teenager but i thing that hardly constitutes me as insane...nor does it make the little mall goth sitting in hot topic insane.. people label things because they have trouble understanding it and demine it if things arnt the way they want them. Its human nature. Its to protect ones self from the unexplained. bah but now im talking like my psychology teacher. *shrugs*

[QUOTE=Fasteriskhead]Oh, I'm sorry! In my first post I must've assumed we were discussing people who actually had mental and behavioral illnesses severe enough to keep them from living their lives in a fulfilling and meaningful manner, and what obligation society has to help them in whatever way. Had I been paying attention I would have known we were actually talking about how all of us are just TOO NUTS for the rest of the SQUARES to handle!!! They just don't know how to deal with [i]weirdos[/i] like us, man!! That's why they've gotta PERSECUTE us by... you know... by... like, uh... well...

*AHEM*

...s-say, who's that guy sitting in the alley over there? he's been holding his ears and rocking back and forth for the last few minutes, i-it's kinda creepy. dudes let's go rock out how ABNORMAL we are somewhere else, o-okay?[/QUOTE]
I wasnt saying anything like that, if it sounded like that to you thats your problem.
I was merely trying to express an opinion i have about what is called mental illness and how i dont think it is right to classify them has ill, even if it does stop them living there life to its fullest. To be honest if someone wants to sit in a dark corner in there room out of fear of the world out of there room then its there choice. If they want to get help they can. If they cant get help then who are you or anyone else to say that they should be helped.

I don't see why when someone is seen to have lost the ability to live there life has they should be able to it means that they need to go get profesional care. What the **** is wrong with hearing to much at once, or even hearing things that arnt making noise. Really people should be left to act however they want, and when they get in someone elses way that person should act however they wish to towards them.

No one needs to diagnose and treat these people really. Its just an arogant social structure normalising people. That comment there is not an anti establishment slogan, or a i'm crying because I'm different dont hate me rant. It is merly an observation that when a person acts diferently or reacts to certain stimulie in an abnormal way then they must be cured, obviously it is my opinion that is wrong. let the mad run free and whatnot. Most treatments just involve creating the 'rational'l patterns of thinking were they dont necesarily exist, or at least where they diferentiate from the clasical rationality.

well there are two sides ofcourse in how extreme someone experiences himself as different from the rest, and how others tell you that you are different.
i was talking about both being mental and having a style of your own.
not that i`m taking back what i said or anything but it is just human nature to shield oneself from outer anomalies that oneself is not accustomed to.
then in rather plain language it comes down that those shielding people either hate you for being different or just are are affraid of you and avoid talking to you or sharing space together.
in one case i know of someone who looked different (as in gothic) and got beat into a wheelchair with an iron bar by a bunch of nazi wannabeez who didn`t like that he had his hair straight up we call it a hanekam in dutch don`t know the english word.
he got crippled and his parents made fun of him all his life for being different and when he was cripple they made even more fun of him and he hung himself for that in the end.
he was a good friend of a good friend of mine and i learned of this not long after i met him, and because i am different and am very clear in how i am and he trusted me very quiqly and i trust him.

the bottom line is that people go far pretending and that they go far in protecting their square, and that by simple honesty you can gain much more if you just dare.

people can be so ******ing stupid, plain stupid and don`t grasp what is beyond their own noses as in a lot of cases that is how far they are willing to look and act.

it just can get sooooo p*ssed off about that.

then there is the factor if someone is mental beyond just being different to say it clearly.
if someone recognizes they need help because their behaviour damages themselves outside society`s lines that they cannot procces their thoughts and emotions and they get stuck with it, then it`s not society`s fault, in fact it is in most cases nobody`s fault.
wether the damage is done by someone then that someone is not society.
but the person that has caused that damage to you will in your eyes be never forgiven or you hate that person, i speak with knowledge out of experience and the person that did damage was a real bastard and i do not particularly hate him for the dammage he has done to me, but the dammage he did to my mother and my older brother.
we hate him but he is not society, and we all realize that not all people are like that person you hate.

or when you are born with what society calls a disorder, then it`s nobody`s fault either.
but it is there and you know it, but most of the time you have stupid people within the help organisations of society and these people won`t really help you because you feel and know that they don`t listen or don`t like you those things you feel in your guts and you know it.
then find someone who will listen to you not so that the helping person can gain a personal bonus of any kind just for the sake of another`s well being.
every person is able to function the degree in how well or in what context makes people say you ain`t right in tha head, and it`s wrong.

but still when you either know or don`t there is still a soul in that body and a reason for your train of thought, something will eventually set you in motion to sort of participate in society and you will become strong knowing that you gain by daring not fearing and nobody will be able to tear you down.

if other people just become violent, or act against society for no reason then you don`t do it out of a reason that resembles truth, then you only want attention.
if you want to make a point that resembles truth then there are lots of ways to make it.
don`t go blocking the streets and protest like a madman for no reason.
it`s like going to an oil reserve to protest for a better nature while you come with you entire club wich together is a car park of bmw`s and such.
you want to impress someone with that?
come by bike all the way.

what i try to say is i don`t need to get violent, i never fight and nobody fights me, i don`t need to make a big commotion i just present myself and that`s it and the way i present myself in my overzeas jeans and long black leather jacket with spikes or my more slobby jacket and i am just there.
just be there, be yourself and if people then say you are strange then sorry but they are stupid for even waisting their time over such an insignificant thing.
if people weren`t so affraid and uptight then society may have been not so hard to live in, and hey it could be worse.
be glad with yourself and don`t change yourself because others say so because even when you do you will still be on the bench waiting for something to happen.

but i must say saying all this does relieve me a lot just to say ***** it and make a point that resembles truth.

[QUOTE]Oh, I'm sorry! In my first post I must've assumed we were discussing people who actually had mental and behavioral illnesses severe enough to keep them from living their lives in a fulfilling and meaningful manner, and what obligation society has to help them in whatever way. Had I been paying attention I would have known we were actually talking about how all of us are just TOO NUTS for the rest of the SQUARES to handle!!! They just don't know how to deal with weirdos like us, man!! That's why they've gotta PERSECUTE us by... you know... by... like, uh... well...

*AHEM*

Anyways we are totally not insane like they say we are!!!! WELL OKAY THEY MAY NOT ACTUALLY SAY WE'RE INSANE AT ALL BUT THEY IMPLY IT WITH THEIR DISAPPROVING GLARES!! The truth is that THEY'RE the insane ones for trying to KEEP US DOWN!!! Our music is too hard for them, our clothes are just pushing the edge and about to break loose!!!!

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]Dude, not every conversation is an academic discussion. This is FUN and you honestly don't enhance the experience with your 'uber-god of knowledge, higher than thou' attitude. Its annoying. If you want to start an academic discussion, start a post on it, other wise buzz off. And you smell funny too. [I]Touche![/I]

Anyway, back to the discussion. I think the past generations think of us as insane because our music is morbid and/or random. Our entire subculture is random and/or morbid. Take a look at what was popular back when your parents were growing up and what's popular now and we all seem like psycho-killers. But that's ok, its fun! Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go to a mental instituion to make fun of the residents...and Fasteriskhead![/COLOR][/FONT]

Guest Metal Dragon
To me, insanity is just a point of view given by society to what it doesn't understand. Therefore, I don't see anything as insane because just because it is not understood, it doesn't mean it's insane.

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=Plum]I think we are all insane in way, even me. Each different person we meet will see a quality of ourselves as being 'insane. It all depends on the person's perspective.

Sorry if someone else already said this I just skimmed the other messages.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]Well, technically "insane" is not a medical term, nor is it meant to be associated with the various mental disorders. There is no one group you could classify was "insane." We all have our own uniqueness, as well as our own problems.

Insanity is simply something that deviates from the norm. Whether it's good or bad, it can be described as "insane." It is synonymous is "weird," "bizarre," and "impractical."

If there was an entire society that always wore blue pants, and one day someone decides to wear orange. That would be insane!

When Christopher Columbus proposed that the world was round, the very thought of that was insane. After all, the world was flat!

It's not really a matter of "thinking outside the box." It's more like people are too busy trying to think outside the box, that they fail to see what's actually in it. But eh, that's just insane, right?[/size]