OtakuBoards

Interracial Couples

Guest Gun Preacher

Guest Gun Preacher
I just wanted to know your oppinon on this subject IRC

because i belive thats it ok for someone to go out with someone from a different race unlike my mom who say's its wrong

ok i'm black (chocolate is sexy)and every time i bring up likeing wg(white girls)she brings up slavery and when it comes to other raceses she uses steriotypes i know its my choice and i dont care what she thinks.

so i wanted to know what you think and if you have parents that are the same

and if you dont want to disscuse this puplicly then pm me.

[color=darkgreen][size=1]

I'm a white guy (half greek, if that counts for anything). I've had two black girl friends in my time, so I obviously don't see anything wrong with the mixing of races. I find that most people who are against it, are racist in the first place (no offense to your Mom, GP). If we live in a free society where all people are treated equally, then I don't see why anyone would have a reason to pass judgement on a couple if they date one another, and their skin color happens to be different. Honestly, I don't think it should matter, because people are people when it all comes down, and I don't understand how a person could automatically assume that another human is lesser than they are or don't have the right to date a person of their own race. I really detest people who slander it.[/color][/size]

[color=#9933ff]Heh. If the world didn't believe in interracial couples, I would be here. Keke.

My mom's American (European mix), my dad is Thai/Chinese. I don't think it should matter what someone looks like, but how they act, and what they are like as a person.

The Boss: You said it! It's sad, because I see a lot of times in history that tragedy occurs because people are unwilling to accept others because of their race, religion, etc., and people think they are better than others. In the age of imperialism and right before WWI, I learned that there were people who were in support of the supremacy of Europeans/North Americans (Caucasians) over others, and that there was even a guy who wrote a book trying to prove it based on "scientific" data (something about physical appearances, the brain, etc. bogus). And, of course, Japan thought they were better than [i]everyone[/i], so they decided to start WWII, which lead to the brutal tortures and murders of so many people.

*looks up* Dunno where I was going with that - did you understand it? But anyway, I think superiority based on race happens more often than it should, and that's really... dis-heartening, and such a shame. More people need to understand equality,get their heads out of the sand, and get over their xenophobia.

*_* Tell me if you understood that. I don't know how to make it clearer, yet I still feel like it's a little confusing. (My posting skills are deteriorating!!! ...Is that possible?!?)[/color]

[size=1]I find interracial couples to be awesome. I just love people breaking the "taboo" and doing what they want as far as relationships go.

In any event, my grandmother on my mother's side is white, and was told by her parents "don't marry that n***r," but she did end up marrying my (black) grandfather anyway. My mother was their child. So like a bunch of other folks, if people didn't have the courage to stand up to the racism and marry who they want, I wouldn't be here.

I also don't really like black girls, even though I'm black myself. I think it has to do more with cultural disconnect than anything else.[/size]

On one hand, I want to say "people against interracial couples still exist?!" But I'm a black guy who went to a predominantly Asian-American high school, so I know that the most racist groups of people you'll ever meet are black women and Asian parents. Especially black women. If I ever brought a white girl to the family reunion, the women of my family would all have to be hospitalized for blowing a collective gasket-- except for my half-white step-mom, of course. :p

Seriously, I'm all for interracial couples. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but mixed-race people almost always absorb the best facial features of both parents. Even if both parents are pug-fugly, that child is going to be comparitively less ugly than either one. It's like God wants us to intermix.

So remember, it's God's will that we all mate with someone of a different race. Atheist? Then stop stiffling evolution, and hook up with the nearest person of another race. ;)

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]Your mom sounds racist. Maybe not, this is just based off of what you just said. I'm sorry for being blunt, that's just what i thought. I'm not saying she's a bad person or anything.

Interacial couples are fine by me. Love is blind. Slavery is a thing of the past (mostly....), i think african americans should let it go. America doesn't hate England for the American Revolution, why should blacks still be angry about slavery?

Ok, so i'm white, i'm sure you've guessed this by now. I'm not saying that slavery should be forgotten, and i'm not saying it was alright that it happened. It just bothers me when people bring it up, especially like your mother did as an excuse not to date a white girl or "wg".

If only we were all color blind...

Hah, like Steven Colbert. Has anybody ever seen that picture of him with the black guy? That's hilarious, i crack up every time i see it. The dude looks so miserable and steven is just living it up, oh man that's funny.

Well, that was my opinion, i'm sure glad you guys are all open minded and accepting of other people's opinions here on OB.

Later.
[/COLOR] [/FONT]

[QUOTE=Manic Webb]On one hand, I want to say "people against interracial couples still exist?!" But I'm a black guy who went to a predominantly Asian-American high school, so I know that the most racist groups of people you'll ever meet are black women and Asian parents. Especially black women. If I ever brought a white girl to the family reunion, the women of my family would all have to be hospitalized for blowing a collective gasket-- except for my half-white step-mom, of course. :p

Seriously, I'm all for interracial couples. I don't know how, and I don't know why, but mixed-race people almost always absorb the best facial features of both parents. Even if both parents are pug-fugly, that child is going to be comparitively less ugly than either one. It's like God wants us to intermix.

So remember, it's God's will that we all mate with someone of a different race. Atheist? Then stop stiffling evolution, and hook up with the nearest person of another race. ;)[/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] So, so true. A lot of Asian parents are incredibly snotty over the racial purity thing. I once told this guy that goes to my Korean school (I have it on Saturdays) that I liked a white guy and he nearly [i]exploded[/i]. Too bad none of the Asian girls in my area actually want to go out with Asian guys. Hehe. :]

And yes, the children of mixed-race people are smokin. Jessica Alba, anyone? It is a sign. [/color]

[quote name='The13thMan']Hah, like Steven Colbert. Has anybody ever seen that picture of him with the black guy? That's hilarious, i crack up every time i see it. The dude looks so miserable and steven is just living it up, oh man that's funny. [/quote]

[color=dimgray] I die of laughter every time he shows that on his show. XD[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Bringing up slavery if you want to date a white girl? That sounds asenine to me, lol.

I wouldn't have thought that this was even an issue in today's society. You should be able to make your own decision about what is and isn't acceptable when it comes to dating. Dating someone with a different skin colour should be irrelevant - if anything, I think that's a really good statement of tolerance.[/font]

[quote name='The13thMan][FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]Hah, like Steven Colbert. Has anybody ever seen that picture of him with the black guy? That's hilarious, i crack up every time i see it. The dude looks so miserable and steven is just living it up, oh man that's funny.[/COLOR'] [/FONT][/quote]
"People tell me I'm white; I take their word for it." --Stephen Colbert on being racially color-blind.

It's not about being color-blind, though. We shouldn't ignore one another's races. We have to be accepting, or at the very least, tolerant.

[quote name='Manic Webb']On one hand, I want to say "people against interracial couples still exist?!" But I'm a black guy who went to a predominantly Asian-American high school, so I know that the most racist groups of people you'll ever meet are black women and Asian parents. Especially black women. If I ever brought a white girl to the family reunion, the women of my family would all have to be hospitalized for blowing a collective gasket-- except for my half-white step-mom, of course. :p[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My goodness! I do not feel alone anymore! :p

Well around here where I live Asians and White Americans make up what feels like half of the population. To make matters even more intresting, a majority of the other black people around my area can't really keep up a good conversation. Not to mention there arn't any in my honors classes to even get to know in the first place. So I already feel that I am in a sea of isolation.

I just can't see why interracial relationships are a problem to some people. Its like saying " Oh you can't reproduce with that human..why not take that one over there?" when they are the exact same species? It makes no sence whatsoever. With todays technology someone can say and look asian, but really be british. [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray]
And yes, the children of mixed-race people are smokin. Jessica Alba, anyone? It is a sign. [/color]
[/QUOTE]

Even on the threat of generalization, I'd have to say I agree. As an example, my lesbian friend once dated a girl who was half-Irish and half-Japanese. Imagine: Asian facial features with green eyes, and black hair with natural red fringe hair. Striking! 8)

In Finland, where foreign immigration has just started about thirty or so years ago, prejudice is still very high for interracial relationships. It's usually women here who marry immigrant men, since many of the immigrant cultures that come here (like Somali, Arabic and Thai) keep their women under tight control.

So the problem isn't just in the attitudes of the natives, but also in the immigrants as well.

[color=dodgerblue]Seriously, this topic bites (not this thread, lol, bad choice of words, but that's all I can think of at the moment). Anyways, it all comes down to racism. I know that a lot of races have pent-up feelings of 'hate' or 'despair' from events in the past, but it's rather sad how we can still let things in the past keep us from stepping forward into the future. I for one pretty much have a multi-cultural heritage, and sometimes it was hard as a kid growing up because of people saying I'm this race, or another race, and it's all so judgemental. Why not try and get to know people of other races rather than prematurely judge them on what you've heard someone else has done. It's all down to the individual. I mean, don't hate germans just because of hitler, or don't hate americans just because of bush, lol, or don't hate the japanese just because of Pearl Harbor (eh, it happened a long time ago). Sure there's still some hurt in various cultures/races over certain things, but if you let it, the hurt will ferment into something bigger and it'll be just plain hate. Once again, don't judge a whole race because of one person or event - that's why we're all individuals, and I'm positive that 90% of the population has a bit of another race in them anyhow.[/color]

[QUOTE=Sandy]Even on the threat of generalization, I'd have to say I agree. As an example, my lesbian friend once dated a girl who was half-Irish and half-Japanese. Imagine: Asian facial features with green eyes, and black hair with natural red fringe hair. Striking! 8)
[/QUOTE]

That'd be freaking hot!
:animeblus

Anyway, as you have probably gathered, I have no problems with inter-racial relationships. I have been in a couple and I am myself, the by-product of such a relationship. There is nowhere to go for me except into an inter-racial relationship since I am a half-breed myself lol.

I believe those who have looked down on me for havign inter-racial relationships are being silly. We all bleed [COLOR=Red]red[/COLOR] in the end.

Oh that AZN pride thing...sheesh. My grandpa, who was very, VERY old school Japanese use to tell me when I was little that I would grow up, marry a good Japanese man and be a housewife (you know, cook, clean, have babies..). 'Cause you know that is how it's suppose to be. :animeangr

Needless to say that attitude didn't really fly very well with me. My parents are more "American" in their views about relationships. They just chalked up grandpa's attitude to being old fashioned. After all arranged marriaged were still taking place with my parent's siblings. That is another thing I thought was weird...but that is for another post.

Back on topic. I am in an interracial marriage. We never really thought about it until after we were married for a bit and a friend mentioned we were in an interracial marriage. I totally remember the two of us looking at each other like: "We are!" LOL I know it sounds funny but we never really think about it. It is not an issue. So much so that I really didn't even realize it until it was pointed out.

Best of luck for all of you who are still confronted with that "stay with your own kind" mind set. I hope some day people will realize that being with someone is about love, not race, religion, gender or social standing.

[font=Trebuchet MS]I'm white, and the only serious relationship I've had was with a Chinese girl, so you'll hear nothing against interracial pairings from me. I never got as far as meeting her parents, so I don't know whether they suffered from the whole 'Asian pride' thing that seems to be coming up.[/font]

My boyfriend is caucasian (sp?) and I'm Puerto Rican, so far things have been going very well between us. We've both been able to learn something from one another and we've been on a total of 6 dates and continue to do so. We also learn about our different clutures in more depth than what other people say and such.

Interracial dating is fun and educational at the same time :catgirl:

[quote name='Panda']Back on topic. I am in an interracial marriage. We never really thought about it until after we were married for a bit and a friend mentioned we were in an interracial marriage. I totally remember the two of us looking at each other like: "We are!" LOL I know it sounds funny but we never really think about it. It is not an issue. So much so that I really didn't even realize it until it was pointed out.[/quote]

Actually, I know exactly what you're talking about there. My parents are an interracial couple, and all of my dad's siblings ended up in interracial marriages. But I never really noticed until people pointed it out to me, and I'd be like, "Uh, yeah, I guess that they are." These are people I've been around and loved my entire life - I've never thought about any of them in terms of not being a part of my race unless people actually point it out to me first. They're all my family and that's that as far as I'm concerned lol.

I mean, it's not like one of my uncles came to the rest of the family one day and announced, "Everyone: I'm marrying a white woman!" and we nodded our approval or something lol. It just happened that way. People fall in love with who they fall in love with, and that's the way it goes.

So, obviously, I have no problem with interracial relationships. Unless you're Mexican, then just stay the hell away from me.

[spoiler]THAT'S A JOKE, before anybody starts jumping all over me! I'm half-Mexican and I don't actually hate my bretheren! :P

Until the drive-bys start, anyway.

ANOTHER JOKE, PEOPLE.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Manic Webb']It's not about being color-blind, though. We shouldn't ignore one another's races. We have to be accepting, or at the very least, tolerant.[/quote]
[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]
I never said ignore their race, only the color of their skin. There's a difference. [/COLOR] [/FONT]

[COLOR=#004a6f]I personally have no problem with interacial couples. I think they're pretty cool and end up with pretty nifty looking children.

I'm and arab (palestinian to be precise). I thinks its quite laughable how we arabs divide our selves so much. Palestinians prefer to marry paletinians and lebanse prefer to marry lebanese (but interracial arab marriages are very common, especially between lebanese and palestinians, so it's not really taboo). Some people narrow down your race to the city you came from. I meet middle-aged arab ladies, and they ask: "So what country are you from? What region? What city? Which family?"

COME ON.

Anyway, I remember when my sister's husband first came with his family to meet ours, the adults were all happy that we came from the same city (Ashkalon).

I'm just glad that race isn't too big of a deal to arabs though, since most are muslim and care more about whether the the person is a good muslim or not.

But some arabs prefer to marry arabs for the sake of their native language. The Quran is in arabic afterall, and children will learn the language better if their parents speak arabic.

Others simply want to preserve their culture, though they have no problem with interracial couples.[/COLOR]

i dont find inter-racial couples as terrifiying as it seems, take my cousin and his girlfriend for example, he's filipino/russian/italian/japanese/english/spainish......<_< >_> he's basically euro-asian. [i know that doesnt exsist but, i couldnt put it any other way] but he has the skin complexion and features of a filipino, but he works out almost religiously and he's 6"3', so he's not your average pinoy. =/

his girlfriend on the other hand, she's white. to be more percise scandanaivan(sp?) / irish/english, but she's pretty tall 5"8' to be exact, and her skin is so tan, people mistake her for a filipina. <_< >_>

both sides of the family accept that my cousin's dating a white chick, and she's dating a pacific islander[do not call a filipino, asian, because some of my people can not stand being put in the same race as the chinese] but they(the couple im talking about) get critized about their realtionship by their peers and outsiders. >__________< that just [spoiler]pisses[/spoiler] Leon off, i dont understand why people have to be so sterotypical. as i said before inter racial couples arent messed up, their just listening to a indie radio station, that they can relate to! [ and no, the aforementioned "radio station" isnt emo, unless the person wants it to be an emo station]

:animesigh thank you for your time.

This is a funny subject. Me and my brothers were talking about this XD

I kinda noticed that not many people like black women... Not even black men.
Not white men... Not even white or black women like black wemon. They are pretty annoying (When they are angry).

I think that people should be with who they love. No matter what color. That is what I think.
White women... Black & white men like them. I know that some black women have some husbands, but not as much as white women...

That is all I have to say about it.

There is nothing wrong with interracial marriage. I hate people who are against it. :animeswea

I'm an asian girl (taiwanese sino-mauritian) and my parents would not mind if i went out with someone with a different skin colour, just as long as he respects me. But my mauritian relatives would reject me, just like they rejected my aunt who married a black man. My uncle wanted to marry an indian girl, but his parents refused to let him do that... :animedepr

I think that my taiwanese grandparents would not mind either, but my aunts and uncles there... :animeswea

I don't see why anyone would be against it. I don't think anyone could stop you after 18 right?

It is supposed to be that land of the free! [Unless you people live somewhere else]
I don't think anyone should be against it. In their past, one of thier uncles/parents/grandparents probably did marry a different race. And we are all human. I an not against it as I stated before.

I basicly wanted to state that I am white. (Because other people stated their race) But I also wanted to say what I said ^ up there.

Thanks for your time,

David

[QUOTE=Hanabishi Recca]I don't see why anyone would be against it. I don't think anyone could stop you after 18 right?

It is supposed to be that land of the free! [Unless you people live somewhere else]
I don't think anyone should be against it. In their past, one of thier uncles/parents/grandparents probably did marry a different race. And we are all human. I an not against it as I stated before.
[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Indigo]I think the reason some people have a hard time accepting interracial couples is that until 1966 there were 17 states in America that actually had laws against interracial marriage. And all of the states regulated marriage between whites and other races. Even in the seventies there were still at least twelve states that had laws forbidding marriage between whites and other races.

So I?m sure that for some its hard to learn to accept something that they were raised to believe was a crime. It?s easier for someone like me who was born after such laws were revoked, but I know my grandparents and other relatives often struggle with it. They try to understand but it?s not that easy to turn off 30+ years of thinking it was wrong.

Personally I think they are a great idea, since I think love shouldn?t be limited by what a person?s race is.
[/COLOR]