OtakuBoards

What quote do you live by?

PaganAngel

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]This thread is going downhill! Please, explain what each quote means to you, otherwise we end up with every post just being a list of quotes and no insight. You supposedly live by these quotes, so you must be able to tell us something about them, right?[/FONT]

[I]"Remember that this too shall pass". [/I] - Richard Carlson, author of the "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" series.

That's one quote that's always stuck with me and helps me a lot to look forward past what's troubling me and beyond into what I hope will come after it's gone :)

[I]"Maybe the reason that you don't see it is because it's stuck to your back. What I mean is, a persons admirable qualities. They're just like say, a pickled plum on a rice ball. In other words, the person's the rice ball and the plum is stuck to their back. So all over the world you could have rice balls made with all sorts of wonderful ingredients, all different flavours and shapes and colours, but since it's stuck in the middle of everyone's back, someone could have a plum and not even know it. They'd look at themselves and think "I'm so plain, nothing but white rice." even though it isn't true, because turn them around and sure enough, there it is...there's the plum. So if someone is jealous of somebody elses then it's probably because it's easier to see the plum on someone elses back than your own."[/I]

- Tohru Honda - Fruits Basket (Anime)

Okay yeah that was kinda long, but there's no way of shortening it to get the message across quicker. It's a beautiful concept and really well put. So true as well. I have pretty bad self esteem issues, so to think of it in that way, that other people see the same qualities in you that you admire about others really helps me pick myself up and think "Hey! That's so true. So-and-so has this quality, and so does he....maybe I do too....." :animesmil

~Forest x

PS: I highly recommend Richard Carlson's series. Excellent read! :D

this quote everyone should live by not just guys "don't let go of the person you really care about, remember never choose death.protect your love and keep her near you promise her that you will never leave and keep your promise you must"freedirt from DNAngel this quote is really good because everyone will go through tough times and it is just telling you to never let go the love that you have for eachother keep eachother close because you never know when they will slip out of your grasp I have gone through a tough time but this poem really helps put the spark back :D

Yet another one... I just love quotes. They make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

"If you can manage to fall out of love with someone, then you were never in love to begin with."

It's a quote I myself coined. In my life, I'm tired of friends dating someone, ranting about how much they're in love, and then breaking up within a week and hating the mere thought of the guy. It frustrates me that they think they know true love. If you've ever really been in love, you'll think about that person always, even if you eventually part ways and move on to someone else. They'll always be there in the back of your mind, and you'll savor every memory of them even if it didn't work out for you. You'll still love them even if you're not with them anymore.

And one more:

"The course of true love never did run smooth." Shakespeare, [i]A Midsummer Night's Dream[/i]. The first time I read that line, I went, "oh, that is so me." Ever noticed that the thing that makes you the happiest is always the hardest to obtain? It's so in love. It never works out perfectly. There always seems to be some drama involved.

"you can accomplish a lot if you don't worry about who gets credit"

pretty self explanatory. also the one from my sig "the point of war isn't to die for your country, its to make the other guy die for his" this is basically a reminder of reality

"Happiness has got to be paid for" everything has a price we have to decide whether or not we can pay it

"No one can serve two masters" one of my favorite biblical quotes, because its so true. You have to choose and dedicate. if you put something first in your life, you have to keep it first and not compromise

"You'll get more with a kind word and a shileighleigh than you will with just a kind word" True. If you do something, you have to back it up.

• 2 weeks later...
A quote i live by.. "The only thing standing between me and total happiness, is reality." It means that no matter what your life will never be perfect, there will always be something that makes lose happiness.

Another one is ?When life gives you lemons, make grape juice, then sit back and let the world wonder how you did it.? Meaning to be different and to be proud of it. Well that?s the way I take it anywase.

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love
the questions themselves. Live the questions now.
Perhaps you will find them gradually, without noticing it,
live along some distant day into the answer. "

I believe that is quote I live by from the last months of my life. I found out things that I asked myself for years without even thinking about them. I was unpatient all of my life and that lead me to troubles, trying to find the meaning of my life and why I was here, now I'm just letting life show me the answers.

Guest executor
I live the qoute [highlight]greatness is measured by doing service to yourself and to others[/highlight] this means that if you want to be great you should do service or doing something good for yourself and to others.

Living this in my everyday life[color=green] i can be great in the eye of those who knew me[/color] and [color=blue] i will be remembered for thousands of years.[/color]

'' They say its easier to be mean to someone than it is to be nice , and i always take the easy way '' that is an origanal qoute .

and also '' people tell me to go to hell because they hate me , thats a sin , so when they get to hell i'll be waiting for them '' . thats another origanal

"They may torture my body, break my bones, even kill me. Then they will have my dead body. Not my obedience!"
-Gandhi

Sums up my view of life that the only two authorites worth listening to is a just one, and your self. If a tyrant has to kill of his controlled then he has no more controlled and though you may be dead you have still defeated her in ultimate sacrifice.

I live by the quote "get busy living or get busy dying." The man or woman who wrote this remains unknown to me because my brother forgot to tell me who it was. But, I like it. It reminds me that I only have one life and should make the best of it.

[quote name='otakufan']I live by the quote "get busy living or get busy dying."[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I'm nearly certain that line is taken from the Shawshank Redemption, and if that's correct then the line was written by Steven King.

Personally my own quote to live by is "Dominus illuminatio mea", which translates from Latin to mean "the Lord is my light". Basically when broken down to it's most basic meaning, it reflects my belief that when life is at it's worst one need only rely on God and you'll fine the good to keep you going. Seemingly it's also the motto of Oxford University, which I wasn't aware.[/SIZE]

[size=1][b]"Loyalty first"/"Family first"[/b]

'Family first'.. I'm not sure where I first heard it but it's evolved into 'Loyalty first' somewhere through the years lol. It's basically a lot more general and applicable than it sounds.

It kinda spawns off the idea of that other quote 'stand for something or fall for nothing'. You need to find the things in your life worth holding onto.. the things worth sacrificing for. Religion, friends, family, that special girl, an education, your ideals, whatever. You find those certain things and by (kinda) prioritising them against everything else, you can put your loyalty into them. And although sometimes you may be put into compromising situations, you'll always know where you stand.

Could you go against your own ideals for a friend?
Would you be willing to wrong someone else for a friend?
Would you be willing to wrong yourself for a friend?

Yeah, things like that. ..Just to know where you stand with issues, I guess. Loyalty first.
[/size]

I forgot about this one, which I found in an Asimov book "Never let your sense of morals keep you from doing what is right" Sometimes we get too caught up in thinking about things or in our own sense of what's right and wrong, but really what we should do is just do what's right when we need to and sort it all out later.

Guest liger00x
my quote is ye harm none do as ye will which means if you do not harm any one its ok to do what you whant :catgirl: :animesmil

[b]"Life is how you make it"[/b]

pretty much, you control your own life.
and another one i also follow:

[b]"Life is a reflection of your actions"[/b]

to me it mean be careful of your own actions because what you do everyday will be reflected by your life.