OtakuBoards

Handicap Battles!

Delta

[COLOR=#656446][CENTER][b][u]Handicap Battles![/u][/b][/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][b]Yes, you read it right! Another Art Studio tournament pitting the best and the bravest artists against each other in a bloody, messy graphics battle royale! Booya![/b]

...Erhm, yeah. Onto the rules and specs:

[u][b]Who can join?[/b][/u]
The event?s open to all OB members (and new members, of course!) intrepid and imaginative enough to make graphics with the little freedom [i]HB![/i]?s gonna give them. Are you up for it?

[u][b]Bring it on, Delta.[/b][/u]
That?s the spirit! All you need to do is say you want in and you?re in. Read on, chief.

[u][b]Tournament Format[/b][/u]
[i]Handicap Battles![/i] will implement the [b]sudden death tournament format[/b] where only the winner of a match will advance to the next round. The tournament bracket will be released at least two days before the first round so keep checking this thread.

[u][b]Rounds and Matches[/b][/u]
A thread will be created by the tournament presider for each match. The participants will be given 72 hours to create, post and edit their entries.
[INDENT]? Should there be an odd number of participants in a round, a [b]pre-round match[/b] will be held between the two lowest-seeded participants.
? Seeding will be based on the total number of votes the participant garnered in all of the previous rounds. [/INDENT]

[u][b]Handicaps[/b][/u]
Aside from the deadline, the tournament presider will also place a set of restrictions/?handicaps? on submissions for each round. These restrictions may range anywhere from size limits to a total ban on certain graphics elements.
[INDENT]? To make the game a bit more interesting, handicaps of the previous rounds will be carried over to the new round.
? There will be no new handicaps in pre-round matches.[/INDENT]

[u][b]Voting[/b][/u]
A 120-hour (5-day) voting period will begin immediately after the deadline. All members can vote, except for the two participants of the match. The tournament presider can only vote in the case of a tie.

Members must post a paragraph of at least three sentences about the entry they?re going to vote for, and one sentence of constructive criticism for the other entry. It?s a pretty simple format so if a member fails to follow it, he/she will be sent a PM by the Tournament Presider and will be given the rest of the voting period to edit his/her vote. His/her vote will be invalidated if it still isn't of the prescribed format by the end of the voting period. (Sorry, chief.)

[u][b]Grounds for Elimination[/b][/u]
[INDENT]? One loss
? Failure to comply with the handicaps
? Failure to meet the deadline will result in a forfeit[/INDENT]

[CENTER]=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

[SIZE=2][b][u]FAQ[/u][/b][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[u][b]Who?s this ?Tournament Presider??[/b][/u]
That would be me plus two more members. You'll get to meet them during the tournament. ;)

[u][b]When are you getting this completely started?[/b][/u]
HB! signup's gonna be open until the 19th of May. The tournament bracket's gonna be released on the 20th so we're looking at May 22 as the start of the tournament proper.

[u][b]Is it really just tag battles or is something else hidden that I'm not seeing?[/b][/u]
The matches are going to be [b]one-on-one[/b] (but a graphics tag battle sure sounds nice!).

[u][b]Can we use any media type? Like, could I draw something and do all the inking and colouring by hand and then add a background digitally?[/b][/u]
Yes! Original drawings, animated images (!), and other media in digital form will be accepted as long as they're made in compliance with the handicaps.

Please direct all questions you have about [i]Handicap Battles![/i] to this thread. I?ll try my best to answer them for you, yeah?

[CENTER]=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

[SIZE=2][b][u]Who's In[/u][/b][/SIZE]

Ezekiel
Maneki Neko
Keyblade Wielder
Boo
sakurasuka
jigglyness
r2vq
Kune
Retribution
White
Katana
Sara[/CENTER]

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]This sounds like it'll be a pretty interesting competition. I just have two questions.
When are you getting this completely started?
And when can I join?

Let us know...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#656446][size=1]Uhoo! How forgetful of me! Thanks for bringing those up!

[b]1)[/b] [i]HB![/i] signup's gonna be open until the [b]19th of May[/b]. The tournament bracket's gonna be released on the 20th so we're looking at May 22 as the start of the tournament proper.

How long the tournament's gonna last depends on how many participants we'll get. For example: if we get 8 participants, that means we'll be seeing three rounds. And since we're alloting 8 days per round, [i]HB![/i]'ll go on for a good 24 days.

[b]2)[/b] The signup period started yesterday. [b]Just reply to this thread, say that you want to join [i]HB![/i] and you're in![/b]

EDIT:

[b][u]Darky Dee:[/u][/b] Hmm, I don't get what you mean by "tag battles" but the matches are going to be [b]one-on-one[/b].

Best of luck![/size][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I would very much like to sign up ma'am, as this sounds like a good brain stimulus. I'll be off school from May 12 with no more until Spetember, so I'll have plenty of time to [STRIKE]plot[/STRIKE] create my entries. If I don't get knocked out after the first round, that is.

[B]Question[/B] (You may have already said this, so I'm sorry) : Can we use any media type? Like, could I draw something and do all the inking and colouring by hand and then add a background digitally? [/SIZE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Wow... as soon as I saw this, I was all like, "SIGN ME UP!!" XD

Anyways, seriously.... sign me up!! This sounds like a great way to learn how to get better at graphics and also get critiques and compliments at the same time!! Sounds great!

Sign me up, por favor! XD[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1][b]Ezekiel:[/b] Drawings, animated images, and other media in digital form will be accepted as long as they're made in compliance with the handicaps. I do hope we'll see more of them not-so-usual Art Studio goods (animated entries, comic strips, movies, etc.). That'd be really rad.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]What is it about this thread that attracts me so much?

Is it the vast amount of replies in such a short time? Was it the fancy banner I saw in Delta's signature? Was it the word "handicap"? I.. don't know.

Sign me up. :whoops: [/FONT] [/COLOR]

[size=1][color=royalblue]...

*beeep*

Katana is currently lacking any creativity due to her physical exhaustion because of ACen. Therefore, she will submit her "registration" in an un-witty way:

Katana: *screams*

Thank you.

*beeep*[/color][/size]

[color=#b0000b][size=1]I will sign up for this.

I, uh, don't know anything about these tournaments, though. Is that quite alright? I'll try to be a fast learner and everything.[/size][/color]

[COLOR=#35425E][SIZE=1][CENTER]0725H GMT, May 19, 2006: Sign-ups closed

[b]Tournament Bracket[/b]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/tournament-bracket.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Ah, this is interesting. By chance, luck, or whatever you may call it, a good lot of you ended up with somebody I'd love to see you in a match with (and I'm pretty sure I ain't the only one happy about it).

[b]First round: [COLOR=#ED1C24]May 20[/COLOR]
Deadline for submissions: [COLOR=#ED1C24]May 23[/COLOR][/b]

I look forward to your matches and wish you all the best of luck![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Wow.... so I get paired up with the famous White, eh? *laughs evily* I can'y wait to see how this turns out... ;D

Anywho, good luck to the first round contestants and may the best man win! Or... graphic designer in this case... I really have no clue... O.o;

By the way... I have one more question, Delta... I read the rules but I still don't get it... with the battles be held in this here thread or will you or a contestant make a new thread for their round? I just wanted to make sure... =D

Well... good luck, everyone!! I really, really can't wait to see how this turns out... *is anxious* X3[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#35425E][SIZE=1][b]Keyblade Wielder:[/b] The tournament presiders are in charge of making threads for each match. It's under [b]Rounds and Matches[/b] in the rules. ^_^

EDIT:
[b]Retribution:[/b] You got it, chief. Me and two other members: [b]Ikillion[/b] and [b]Lunox[/b]. Most gracious of them to offer assistance in managing [i]HB![/i]. We'll create the match threads, bug you guys about your submissions and manage the votes, (if that's alright with you,) yeah? [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#35425E][SIZE=1]First up, I'd like to congratulate my fellow TPs. Impressive, impressive, impressive! *huggles*

[b]AND NOW, ON TO THE LOVE LETTERS![/B]

[QUOTE][size=1]Clicking on those words is fun, but doesn't really activate anything. I assume this is the same colour palette as every other [i]Handicap Battle![/i][/size][/QUOTE]Yup, they all lead to the same image.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+[QUOTE][size=1][color=gray]Oh, do we have to use all the colors, or could I just use, say, reds and grays? Or blues and reds?[/color][/size][/QUOTE]Yes, you could use a select few of the colors in the palette or, if you're feeling adventurous, pile them all on your piece!

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+[QUOTE]are we allowed to use a lighter color from the palette? Do we have to stick with only one of those palettes?[/quote][quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]I need clarification: Can we use lighter values of those colors (going into white) if the saturation is still set to 100?[/size][/color][/QUOTE]That'd lower the saturation values (fading it to white and all). But hmm, it's fine with me. If it looks good, it's gonna show in the votes, yeah?

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Please take advantage of the freedom we're giving you and do your best in this round![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Delta][COLOR=#35425E][SIZE=1]+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+That'd lower the saturation values (fading it to white and all). But hmm, it's fine with me. If it looks good, it's gonna show in the votes, yeah?[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]Maybe my grasp of saturation is different than yours.

To me, saturated means all the color is there--unsaturated means that you end up with grey. You have have a "fully saturated" nearly-white color if the lightness is set high enough.

Anyway, I guess it's not an issue after all.[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]Question: In Round 2, is Anti-Aliasing allowed on only text or on everything (like circles and whatnot)? I hope only text because on everything wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense. That'd be much less cool ¬_¬' [/size]

[QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=#35425E]
Nah, I wouldn't dare nitpick on something of that scale. Sure, no prob. You can leave the anti-aliasing feature on. ^_^[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[color=royalblue][size=1]That's from sakurasuka's and r2vq's match. Sakura asked the same question. And it's a good thing you asked, since I never really bothered thinking about it.

Better safe than sorry. xD[/size][/color]