OtakuBoards

What CD Formatting Do You Like?

2010DigitalBoy

On a CD, the tracks are organized differently all the time. Sometimes there will be a lot of short tracks, sometimes a few long taracks. Often times they'll mix it up a bit. Maybey there are a lot of big songs with little intermissions in between them (EX: [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Tool[/COLOR]) or maybe they'll just have about twelve moderate-length, catchy songs (EX: [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Green Day[/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Linkin Park [/COLOR] etc.). What do you like your CDs format to be?

Personally, I can't stand buying CDs that are under 50 minutes long unless they are seriously worth every second. For me, a CD isn't just something you listen to, it's something you experience. I usually like it when there are about 11 or so songs that are about 5-7 minutes long (EX: [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Coheed And Cambria[/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Avenged Sevenfold[/COLOR]) or when there are like a few extremely long songs (EX: [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The Mars Volta[/COLOR]).

[FONT=Arial]I like longer albums, because when I go on six hour car trips with my family to some old hick town in the north part of the state, I mainly listen to music or watch DVDs. The shortest album I have is All Hallows EP by AFI, which lasts about thirteen minutes with only four tracks. It was only $4.99, and I love AFI, so it's still a very nice CD. I'd like for albums to last at least an hour, unless one is filled with songs I'd rather not listen to (such as on Flyleaf's self-titled...I really like three of the first four songs, but after that, there's not much else for me).

I just love my music, long or short. [/FONT]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]I listen to a lot of punk, so by default heaps of my CDs don't break 40 minutes. I don't mind the length much, though, because if it's 35 minutes of just good music, who cares? Compare to 70 minutes of rubbish and I know which I prefer. Length does not equate to quality.[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]I listen to a lot of punk, so by default heaps of my CDs don't break 40 minutes. I don't mind the length much, though, because if it's 35 minutes of just good music, who cares? Compare to 70 minutes of rubbish and I know which I prefer. Length does not equate to quality.[/font][/size'][/color][/quote]

I do agree in some cases. I have some CDs that are only 30 to 40 minutes long ([COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Franz Ferdinand - ST[/COLOR], [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Green Day - Dookie[/COLOR]) but are still some of my favorite CDs. I just kind of feel like I'm wasting 15 bucks by only buying 30 minutes of music, unless it's REALLY good music ([COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Rush[/COLOR] CDs are only like 35 minutes, but it's worth it)

[size=1]When I really like certain artists I don't really care about the length of the album. I just rip the music to my computer and burn a new CD with more songs on it ;p

You won't see me buying EP's or whatever, though. Only real albums.[/size]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I just have to mention Tical that your post weirded the hell out of me because I was listening to my Green Day CD having just switched over from Linkin Park's Meteora as I read the thread. Anyway moving on, personally I don't really mind the length of a CD so long as there are at least twenty-five/thirty minutes of good medium length tracks on it. While others like Metallica's Garage Inc is nearly two hours long and yet only had a handful of good tracks on it, most of which are relatively short, granted of course it's a cover album. So like everyone else here it seems, a albums length is second to it's quality for me. [/SIZE]

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]@ Boo: Then you're missing out on a lot of good material. I can name a few artists who released both stellar EPs and great LPs. It's like you're blocking yourself from a quarter of the artist's catalogue.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=1]Bless the internet and the many ways of how to "buy" music. :3

I just haven't got that much money, so paying quite much for about 5 songs isn't really spent on me :P[/size]

the longest cd I have is Silent Alarm: Remixed by Bloc Party

I think it's like, an hour or so?

I personally like it, I bought the cd two months ago and it hasnt left the cd player since.

noteable remixes are:

Luno[Bloc Party vs. Death From Above 1979]<- sounds so much better than the orginal.
Plans[Replanned by Mogwai] <- i laughed at the title, I love the accoustic gutair solo at the end.
Banquet[Phones Disco Edit]
Like Eating Glass[Ladytron Mix] <- not as good as the original though, all strings. but it eventually grew on to me.
Blue Light[Engineers' "Anti-Gravity" Mix] <- the xylophone in this one makes the track sound more ambiet, which is a good thing, it helps get the message across.[I dont know if there is one though]

the second longest cd I have is Reanimation by Linkin Park

t's almost an hours length.

the remixes are very good.

what struck me odd was the the opening interlude of the album was a cello track that sounds a lot like the strings they used in the crawling remix.

I didnt like the little phone message intervals, i dont think they had anything to contribute to the album.

Noteable Remixes are:

ppr.kut
Krawling
Run@wy

Thank you for your time.

Leon Fury.