OtakuBoards

6 Degrees of Wikipedia. [Game]

Kitchen Sink

This game is based upon the 6 degrees of seperation theory, which speculates that anybody on the planet can be connected to anybody else using only 6 intermediate people, or "degrees", if you will.

If you've ever looked up an article or two on Wikipedia, you'll npotice that each topic has these nifty little link words placed throughout the article from time to time, which can take you to a topic that is, or contains something about that word. Seasoned Wikipediasts like myself will have also noted that through a series of link word clicks, one can end up on an article so totally removed from the original article it's funny. This will be the focal point of the game.

The game works like this, I will post two articles that contesters must link together in 6 or less link words or degrees. The person who answers first with the correct answer becomes the gamemaster, and must coin two articles for the next round of contesters to link up.

For example, I say to link Canada with President Bush The correct answer would be...

"To get from Canada to President Bush, I used these steps; Canada Day, National Holiday, July 4: Independence Day, United States. George W. Bush is linked on the right-hand side under the title president.

Now, link Lightbulb to Enron...."

As a little side topic, you may like to discuss how long the quest took you, how you figured out where to go next etc...

The rules are thus:

1) The Gamemaster must know if a link is doable in 6 or less link words, as he/she will ultimately have to give the solution and give another two topics to link if no-one can get it.

2) If no-one is able to get to the topic, contesters may sharte what they have got with so far with other members, the Gamemaster cna then give hints or clues, and may even give the contesters a link word to steer them in the right direction.

3)If all seems hopelessly lost, the Gamemaster may either pick a new set of topics, or abdicate the position of Gamemaster to the person who h as contributed the most amount of links or topic suggestions to the in-game discussion.

A typical in-game discussion may look like:

[quote name='Forumer A'] I can't seem to link Popcorn to Dan Aykroyd yet, I have gone from Popcorn, to movies, to films by year, to 1982 films, to Ghostbusters, but I jsut can't seem to get there, and I'm going around in circles, help?[/quote]
[quote name='ForumerB'] That's easy, Look in the cast links, Dan Aykroyd should be credited as an actor in that vey movie! Alrighty then, link these for me....[/quote]

Now that the issues are out of the way, let the game begin! (any questions, message me or OOC:)

Here's an easy one for starters,

Link [B]Denis Leary[/B] to [B]A Bugs Life (film)[/B] in 6 or less steps.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=teal][size=1]Pffft, that was far to easy :p.

[b]Start:[/b] Denis Leary
[b]Link:[/b] In addition, Leary has provided voices for characters in animated films such as the saber-toothed tiger 'Diego' in Ice Age and 'Francis' in [i][u]A Bug's Life[/u][/i].
[b]Finish:[/b] A Bug's Life.

Mine's going to be a little bit harder: Link [b]Underworld (2003 film)[/b] to [b]Transformers (2007 film)[/b], good luck with it ^_~.[/size][/color]

[color=teal][size=1]Baron, not to nitpick or anything but I can't find "2006 [Production links]" on the Underworld page anywhere, I've even searched Wikipedia for it and it tells me that it doesn't exist. Could you C+P the parts of the text the links where in please?[/size][/color]

[size=1]In theory, couldn't someone 'cheat' by adding in a link to a vital page in the chain and just adding in a strong sentence to blend in?

I got it a different way, and I can't follow your steps, Baron. Please note that the bold word is the link to the next page.

[[I]Underworld (2003 film)[/I] - Sequels] // START
The follow-up story, Underworld: Evolution, was released January 20, [B]2006[/B].

[[I]2006[/I] - Information Box]
Years: 2003 2004 2005 2006 [B]2007[/B] 2008 2009

[[I]2007[/I] - Fiction]
The Transformers arrive on Earth [B](The Transformers)[/B].

[[I]Transformers (2007 film)[/I]] // END

If I got it (I'll leave that for the opening poster to decide), here's my challenge: [b]Taipei 101[/b] to [b]Rock and roll[/b]. Yes, it's possible. I believe it's exactly six links unless someone else is doing extensive digging.[/size]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']In theory, couldn't someone 'cheat' by adding in a link to a vital page in the chain and just adding in a strong sentence to blend in?[/size][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]I was thinking that as well, actually. Anyway, for Baron's 6d, this is what I got.

[b]Bhopal[/b] > World Heritage Site > Australia > Mammal > [B]Dolphin[/B]

[U]Retri's.[/U]
[b]TaiPei 101[/b] > CN Tower > Rogers Centre > Hard Rock Cafe > [B]Rock and Roll[/B]

That wasn't actually as hard as I thought it would be. You just have to think ahead, like how I figured Australia would obviously say something about animals (and therefore Dolphins) and it did. Here's mine.

[b]Nintendo[/b] > [b]The Holocaust[/b]

Okay. Before anyone does mine, I'm going to solve Retri's.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1][B]Nintendo > Japan > World War II > The Holocaust[/B]

I'm hoping I don't need to cite the sentences, you can find them by just hitting ctrl+f. I just wanted to reply to reserve my spot on the next one, I'll make it in a second.

[b]Edit:[/b]

Alright, so I made this one alot harder (in my opinion), since you got it so quickly.

[B]John F. Kennedy > Pittura Metafisica[/B]. Suffer.[/size]

[SIZE=1]It required me to find out what [I]Pittura Metafisica[/I] was, but I got it.

[B][I]John F. Kennedy[/b] > World War II > Italy > Art of Italy > Metaphysical > [b]Pittura Metafisica[/I][/B]

I'm not sure whether you'd class this next one as difficult or not, but here it is;

[I][B]Onion > Windows XP[/B][/I]

:cross: [/SIZE]

[CENTER][SIZE=1][b]Onion[/b] > Lemon > Apple > Apple Computer > Windows > [B]Windows XP[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Easy. Give me a minute to get mine ready.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Okay, here we go.

Connect [b]Mario[/b] to [b]Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic[/b].[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#503f86][b]Mario[/b] > Computer and video games > calculators > addition > arithmetic > [b]Fundemental theorem of Arithmetic[/b]

Just, heh ^_^;

Okay, here's an obscure one. Connect [b]Trigun[/b] to [b]Knitting. [/b]It's do-able in six (including those two). And note: one of the links isn't in the noun form of its definition.[/color]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Wow, Solo. I'm impressed.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][CENTER][b]Neon Genesis Evangelion[/b] > Cartoon Network > United States > Florida > [b]Miami, Florida[/b][/CENTER][/SIZE]

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Alright, give me a few minutes to get mine up.

[b]EDIT:[/b]
Alright, connect [b]Wii[/b] with [b]Scientology[/b].[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Hurrah!
[I]
[B]Wii[/B] > Red > Christianity > List of religions > [B]Scientology[/B][/I]

Once I got to 'Christianity', that was fairly easy, heh. Anyways, try this one;
[I]
[B]Oliver Cromwell > Oedipus Complex[/B][/I]

Some quite random connections, at least using my route. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Tical]This was SO hard

Trigun > Serial > Reel > Rope > Weaving > Knitting[/QUOTE][COLOR=#503F86]Nice one ^_^

The original plan I laid out was Trigun > Steampunk > Prototype > Scaffolding > Bamboo > Knitting, but yours is a much more logical way of doing it, heh.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dodeca][SIZE=1]Anyways, try this one;
[I]
[B]Oliver Cromwell > Oedipus Complex[/B][/I][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[b]Oliver Cromwell[/b] --> [b]Democracy[/b] --> [b]Ancient Greece[/b] --> [b]Sophocles[/b] --> [b]Oedipus the King[/b] --> [b]Oedipus Complex[/b]

There you go. :)

I'll edit in one of my own in a few minutes.

EDIT: Go from [b]James Joyce[/b] to [b]Groucho Marx[/b].

(Great thread, by the way. This game is a hell of a lot of fun. My sister and I have played it on more than a few occasions. :p)

[QUOTE=Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86]Nice one ^_^

The original plan I laid out was Trigun > Steampunk > Prototype > Scaffolding > Bamboo > Knitting, but yours is a much more logical way of doing it, heh.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yeah, that keeps it interesting. For example, mine was supposed to be

NGE > Antarctica > Africa > Archipelago > Florida Keys > Miami

but his was better

[quote name='Shinmaru]Go from [b]James Joyce[/b] to [b]Groucho Marx[/b'].[/quote][color=#503f86]Right, let's see...

[b]James Joyce[/b] > Jew > List of Jews > List of Jewish Actors and Actresses > Marx brothers > [b]Groucho Marx[/b]

It was a rather roundabout way of doing it, but it seems to work ^_^;

EDIT: How is [b]Vanilla[/b] connected to [b]The ultimate fate of the Universe[/b]?[/color]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][QUOTE=Solo Tremaine][color=#503f86]Right, let's see...

[b]James Joyce[/b] > Jew > List of Jews > List of Jewish Actors and Actresses > Marx brothers > [b]Groucho Marx[/b]

It was a rather roundabout way of doing it, but it seems to work ^_^;

EDIT: How is [b]Vanilla[/b] connected to [b]The ultimate fate of the Universe[/b]?[/color][/QUOTE]Drat! And I just found it by going this route:

James Joyce > English language > Cinema > comedy film > Marx Brothers > Groucho

I guess I wasn't quick enough. [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Finally got it. Still, that one was a whopper...
[I]
[B]Vanilla[/B] > Mexico > Astronomy > Big Bang > [B]Ultimate fate of the universe[/B][/I]

Okey-dokey, hold on a moment while I [try to] find a good one.

[B]EDIT:[/B] Here you go, have fun.
[I][B]
Antichrist > Nephropathy[/B][/I][/SIZE]

[quote name='Jokopoko][color=teal][size=1]Baron, not to nitpick or anything but I can't find "2006 [Production links]" on the Underworld page anywhere, I've even searched Wikipedia for it and it tells me that it doesn't exist. Could you C+P the parts of the text the links where in please?[/size'][/color][/quote]
[size=1]I've actually made a mistake there, with the link mentioned actually being on the Transformers page :p

Nevertheless, it is do-able by 2003 in film > 2003 > 2007 > Film > Transformers.[/size]

[QUOTE=Dodeca][SIZE=1]Here you go, have fun.

[I][B]Antichrist > Nephropathy[/B][/I][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]For a while this game really confused the hell out of me but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

[B]Antichrist[/B] > [B]Al Pachino[/B] > [B]Insomnia (2002 Film)[/B] > [B]Insomnia[/B] > [B]Parasomnia[/B] > [B]Category: Medical Stubs[/B] > [B]Nephropathy[/B]

OK, let's see how long this one takes.

[B]Ireland[/B] > [B]Large Magellanic Cloud[/B][/SIZE]

[font="arial][b]Ireland > Ulster > Volcanic Activity > Triton (moon) > Astronomy > Galaxy > Dwarf Galaxy > Large Magellanic Cloud[/b]

----

Are the six maximum links including the orignal article and the destination article? Because then this wouldn't count. =(

Connect [b]cello[/b] to [b]toothbrush[/b].[/font]

[QUOTE=Amelia][font="arial][b]Ireland > Ulster > Volcanic Activity > Triton (moon) > Astronomy > Galaxy > Dwarf Galaxy > Large Magellanic Cloud[/b]

----

Are the six maximum links including the orignal article and the destination article? Because then this wouldn't count. =(

Connect [b]cello[/b] to [b]toothbrush[/b].[/font][/QUOTE]

Cello > Wind instrument > Mouthpiece > Tooth > Brushing >Toothbrush

Will have one up in a few min.

Ok - Link The [b]Great wall of China[/b] to [b]Seth MacFarlane[/b]