OtakuBoards

"..." reminds me of "..."

PaganAngel

OK, so the point of this thread is, you name two really different objects, ideas, or whatever, and explain (in as much detail as possible this thread doesn't get the dreaded lock) why they have a special link for you. You're probably confused, so here's an example:

Final Fantasy VII reminds me of clam chowder. I was home alone one day, sick from school, and I spent about 7 hours playing FFVII. The only thing I ate that whole day was a bowl of clam chowder that I cooked in the microwave too long, so it was all gross, hot, and watery. It already tasted funny because I was sick to begin with. Now every time I play that game I can practically taste that nasty bowl of soup... ugh. Way to spoil a classic.

OtakuBoards reminds me of my friend Kirsten.
Now, none of you know Kirsten - obviously. She is much like me - hates anime & manga & anything related to it. However, Otaku reminds me of her because of this thread. You see, one time she and I were up at 1:30 making a recording on my computer. It was just us being stupid basically, and at one point, we started singing a song by Billy Gilman [The Snake Song], and she said "This reminds me of the Backstreet Boys!" But then, as we started to list reason that they were different, we realized that Billy Gilman and the Backstreet Boys are really nothing alike. So this is how Otaku reminds me of Kirsten...
Otaku
Otaku Lounge
This thread
Association
Association [Billy Gilman --> Backstreet Boys]
Kirsten!
So basically, I associate association with Kirsten, and since I associate this thread [part of Otaku] with association, I associate Kirsten with Otaku!
Did that make sense?

[size=1][color=slategray]My school's churros and the smell of hotel rooms.

Okay. Well. I've traveled a good deal, so I am very familiar with the general smell of hotel rooms. Now, one day my school's à la carte was offering churros. Naturally, my loving churros, I bought one for lunch. When I bit into it, however, I was simply repulsed.

It tasted like the smell of a hotel room.[/color][/size]

[FONT=Tahoma]I have mostly sensory memories. Lots of them. Smells will remind me of people, songs will remind me of what I did when they were playing.

For instance, a whole Soul Asylum cd bring back memories of a computer game that was solely text based. So instead of being visually anchored they envoke the same kind of emotions, even now years later, as they did while being in front of that computer. I've also got plenty of lego-building memories like that :3

Smoke (aside from making me gag and choke) gets me thinking about either my grandma or an amusement park. It depends on what smells it is. (Yes, cigarette smoke has a couple of different smells. No need to stare more at me.) On a positive note, scents that remind me of my mom's make me feel all calm and loved /cheesy.

There's also more regular memories, like how eating pancakes can sometimes remind me of watching a tv-show while running back and forth to the dinner table. We (my sister and I) were so eager not to miss a moment, hehe.

I can't say that the [I]actual taste [/I]of food triggers any memories, to my immediate knowledge *strokes chin in afterthought*[/FONT]

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Playing Spyro the Dragon reminds me of Bill Clinton. He was heavily in the news when I played it for the first time, and dammit, his smooth [i]sexy[/i] voice is imprinted into my consciousness forever as a result.[/font][/color][/size]

[color=#4B0082]I can never walk through lower Norfair in the game Super Metroid anymore without thinking of the song Lasagna, by Weird Al. See, when I was little, I was watching one of my brothers play Super Metroid and he was going through lower Norfair. At the same time, another brother had Lasagna playing back in his room with the door open, so we turned down the volume on Super Metroid so we could hear it as well. Thus, the two became connected in my mind as I saw my brother play through most of lower Norfair while Lasagna was playing instead of the normal background music.

I'm sure there are more, but I tend to forget them until the memory is triggered by one of the two things. I just happened to have played through Super Metroid again recently.[/color]

[COLOR=Navy]Whenever I read Eldest by Chistopher Paolini, I have this entire dance hit album stuck in my head so that each time I read it, I listen to the music in my head as well.

What happened was that I was out at the lake, taking a break from swimming. I just bought that book a couple of days ago and I was almost finished. Not wanting to be bothered, I listened to my discman and zoned out all the people there. So, I listened to this one song over and over on that dance album.[/COLOR]

I was going through a wierd phase a year or so ago and I couldnt stop listening to one song. I would listen to it for hours, however I only had it playing while I was reading one of my many favorite web comics.

Reman Mythology, While the last time I read was ages ago (when I also read the artist was stopping reman mythology to work on sorcerers and secretaries, and then maybe return to do reman mythology better and the way she thought it needed to be done)

Anyways I began to read from the very beggining to the very latest updated. The entire time I had the song "My December" by Linkin Park playing. It was a pahse and I dont do it any more but when I DO occasionaly listen to the song (once or twice a week) I always think of that web comic, the characters, the cool art, and even a Fan Made wallpaper I made using Philip.

Yeah so now the song will always remind me of that comic because i read it while listning to that song over and over again. Not sure if that was healthy for my brain though but oh well. *shrug*

Here's an exciting one. Tomb Raider reminds me of Digimon. I was playing Tomb Raider I while Digimon was playing in the background. Now every time I'm on that same level, right on that same bridge, I remember that episode. Now, I don't really know which episode it was... all I remember was that Tai and Mat were arguing over who was the leader of the group or something along those lines.

Most CDs remind me of a video game I was playing at the time or a video game my bro was playing while I listened to it.

The [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Demon Dayz [/COLOR] CD by [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Gorillaz[/COLOR] --- [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Jak and Daxter [/COLOR] --- [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Baten Kaitos[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The Sickness [/COLOR] by [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Disturbed [/COLOR] --- [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Jak and Daxter [/COLOR] --- [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Jade Empire[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 [/COLOR] by [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Coheed and Cambria[/COLOR] --- [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Radiata Stories[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Opiate[/COLOR] by [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Tool[/COLOR] --- [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Tenchu Return From Darkness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Stadium Arcadium [/COLOR] by [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Red Hot Chili Peppers [/COLOR] --- [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Tenchu return From Darkness[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Hypnotize[/COLOR] and [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Mezmerize[/COLOR] by [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]System of a Down [/COLOR] --- [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Halo 2[/COLOR]

Im sure there are more...

Every time there is a thunderstorm I hear "The Sound of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel(sp?) playing through my head. One night as my dad and I were driving back from the cottage there was this amazing thunderstorm with lightning that would just light up the sky. One of the lightning bolts split into three sections and when we saw that the song was playing in the car(my dad loves Simon and Garfunkel).

If I smell anything that smells like hospital I have bad memories of being in the hospital when I busted my elbow and when my grandpa was going through a rough stage in his health...horrid memories.

The song "I could be your hero"( I think thats what its called) every time I hear it I see this guy at a drama festival that I went to sliding across the stage and signing that song to his girlfriend in the play who he cheated on.

I have a lot more but I can't remember them all...it has to happen to me recently for me to remember it.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]The song "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol reminds me of my first kiss. :catgirl:

The thing is, it shouldn't. See, we weren't listening to music at all. Laying on my bed in utter silence, in fact. (except for the occasional growl of his stomach...teehee.)
But I had heard the song earlier in the day,and shrugged it off as nothing and went about my day.
And the day turned out creepily like the song. Gardens, laying there and forgetting the world.Eyes.

It makes me sad too,because the next day that (insert explicit term) was so flirting with my best friend, and told me he liked her.
Which has the memory of Rock Island cafe stamped into my mind forever. It was my first, and now last, time ever going. (It also happens to be the place where my [B]mother[/B] caught me kissing said explicit, again.)
My best friend is trying to convince me to go with her again, but I just can't face the place.

One more.
In middle school, we were supposed to chew gum. And being that "bad-***" that I was with my two friends, we did anyways. The one friend, Ayla, provided the gum, and would only buy one kind. Big Red.
So, Big Red gum should remind me of Ayla, right?
Wrong. It reminds me of the guy I had the hugest crush on, Andrew. A friend of mine and Ayla's.Who never chewed the gum. He actually hated it.

So maybe I am just wierd.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=crimson]I have numerous problems with songs reminding me of games. Usually when I play a console game I have some MP3s playing in the background and, inevitably, I'll get bored of changing what I'm listening to (I don't really enjoy making playlists) and one particular song will loop for, possibly, hours on end as I play the game, lol. Here's a small list that I can recall off the top of my head.

Heaven Beside Me by Alice In Chains > Chrono Cross.
Gravel Pit by Wu Tang Clan > Romance of the Three Kingdoms X.
What Your Soul Sings by Massive Attack > Mario Kart: Double Dash!
Dream a Dream by Captain Jack > Suikoden V.
Raining Blood by Slayer > Growlanser Generations.[/color]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]For me it?s the smell of food from McDonalds. It?s nauseating. You see a while ago I had gotten some food from McDonalds and later that evening I got horribly sick. It turned out that I had the flu and not food poisoning, but since it was the type of flu that literally puts you in the hospital, I associated eating the food with getting sick. Even though I know it was just a coincidence, I still can?t bring myself to eat food from McDonalds. It?s weird, I can go to other fast food places like Wendy?s or Arbys, but the smell of McDonalds food just has me wanting to hurl. [/COLOR]

[font=arial]Spongebob Squarepants reminds me of my father. He's a mad fanatic of that show. It's even on the TV here right now! (But he's talking incessantly...again...)

Napoleon Dynamite reminds me of my best friend, and my father, again. My friend LOVES that movie, and now, due to me not shutting up about how her not shutting up about the movie, he likes it. x__x

Roy Mustang from FMA reminds me of one of my friends. She used to be head over heels infatuated with him. Now she's changed bishounen - again. Now Axel from KHII reminds me of her.[/font]

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1]DMC's [b]Dante[/b] reminds me of [b]red-light districts[/b]... aaaand vice-versa. It's a pretty obvious correlation, considering every official/fan art I've seen of him shouts "Sex kitten!".

On an unrelated note, I am reminded of my unfinished thesis everytime I log on to OB. *logs off*[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[b]Eruption of Mt. St. Helens and Funyums[/b]. May 18, 1980 Mt. St. Helens erupted dumping ash all over my hometown. While watching the news my brother and I were snacking on Funyums, those onion ring snacks you can find in the chip aisle at the grocery store. We had set the bag inside of my brother's Tonka dump truck and would push it back and forth across the living room floor as we snacked and watched the "breaking news" on the status of Mt. St. Helens.

[b]Call of Cthulhu and Princess Diana.[/b] I was playing Call of Cthuhlu with some friends at my house when I found out that she had been killed in a car accident. It just made an impression on me and I am not sure why. Every time since that point when I see items related to Cthulhu it makes me think of the death of Diana.

Countless songs make me think of different events in my life. There's just too much to list.

One from my hubby, for some reason all seem to revolve around wisdom teeth:

[b]My wisdom teeth and Flash 5[/b]. I'm pretty sure it was Flash 5. When I got my wisdom teeth removed that same day he ended up getting Flash 5. At the time we only had one computer and with me totally drugged up and out of commission he had free reign over the computer. In the few days I was sleeping off the drugs he used that time to learn how to use the program. Thus, when he thinks about Flash he thinks back to me being heavily medicated after having my wisdom teeth pulled.

[b]The song 'December 1963, (Oh What a Night)' and wisdom teeth[/b]. When he had his wisdom teeth removed the last song he remembered hearing before being knocked out was 'December 1963 (Oh What A Night)' by The Four Seasons. So when the song comes on the radio he always makes mention of his wisdom teeth and the weird dreams he had while under the influence of those medications. Weird hallucinations all set to that song by The Four Seasons.

[color=#4B0082]Oh yeah, so here's another one.

The memory of my registering on OB reminds me of the 9/11 attack. I signed up three days before, on September 6, and was having a grand ol' time. Then I got woken up a few days later to see the second plane hit the tower. And, of course, I was on OB for part of that day. The whole board was pretty somber for a while afterwards, and I have all of that associated with my registering.[/color]

some of my songs on my playlist bring back alot of things:

Compliments [Shibuyaka Remix By Nick Zinner] / Bloc Party -> summer in london, I know it's not over yet, but the amibent sound and repeatition of the track is how my summer's going so far, quiet and daily reapitition.

The Artist in The Ambulance / Thrice -> freshman year, cos I made promises I couldnt keep, people didnt really notice me, albeit I was jumpy and very open minded, it was a blur..much like lying on a gurney in the back of ambluance carrier.

The Last Sunrise [Dusk Mix] / Aiden -> last day in vegas during spring hoilday, cos I knew that my three week visit would make an impression on my current friends, due to the culture shock and impression on girl, which spawned a fanclub, it felt like the last day in vegas, was going to be my last for awhile

Lights And Sounds / YellowCard -> going back to vegas, cos I hadnt seen those bright and loud neon lights and heard the sounds of winning pulls, and the crowds in months

that's all I can think of at the moment, I'll add more later.

- Leon.

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkred]The song "Broken" by Seether reminds me of my boyfriend. One day, before we were really going out, he played the song for me. I told him I knew the lyrics to it and we agreed to collaborate our talents (his playing and my singing) to this song. I guess you could call it our song now.:animesmil[/color][/font]