Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Over the past few days I've been listening to a whole lot of [B]Opeth[/B] and some of the new [B]Mastodon[/B] tracks and lodged a couple more tunes into my noggin.

The songs [B]Remember Tommorrow [/B] and[B] Windowpanes [/B] are both excellent examples of Opeth's more melodic brilliance and worth a listen for fans of any sort of creepy prog-rock or metal. These guys have a myraid of good songs, but these 2 are the only ones considerably catchy.

The song [B]The Wolf Is Loose [/B] is a badass track from the new[B] Mastodon [/B] album and a perfect showcasing of their brilliant riffage. This band is definetally one to look out for because they truly bring the thunder with a wonderful joining of uniqueness and pure unbridaled fury.

Also, I'm really getting into the [B]Agalloch[/B] CD[B] Ashes Against the Grain[/B]. Falling Snow and Limbs are both amazing.[/COLOR]
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]In the past few days I've found myself really getting into hip hop and rap. None of the mainstream stuff, but artists like Nujabes, and O.U.O.

I think my favourite song right now is Thank You by Nujabes. Nujabes did much of the music for the anime Samurai Champloo, which I'd say is arguably one of the best anime OSTs I've heard. It's clever rhyming set up over really pretty background music. Lots of piano and guitar, and interesting drum rhythms. I really love Nujabes and I'd urge you to check them out, if you like hip hop or rap, or are just open to new things.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Posted
[COLOR=Sienna]This week, my Song of Songs has to be [b]Hit Somebody[/b] by [b]Warren Zevon[/b]. I heard this song a while ago on the radio and looked up the lyrics, and I absolutely loved it, but it was on an almost-unknown album by Zevon (The very underrated [i]My Ride's Here[/i]) and I only just found it recently. It's just haunting, typical Zevon brilliant songwriting. I just can't stop listening too it.

Honourable Mentions: [b]Waiting for a Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago[/b] by [b]ZZ Top[/b], [b]The New Maybe[/b] by [b]The Tragically Hip[/b], [b]Goodbye Stranger[/b] by [b]Supertramp[/b].[/COLOR]
Posted
[SIZE=1]This week, I've been playing Guitar Hero II, and now I'm tapping into my inner metalhead, so this week's coolest song is:

[B]Beast And The Harlot[/B] / Avenged Sevenfold

hourable mentions include:[/SIZE]
[list]
[*]Robot Rock [Maximum Overdrive Mix] / Daft Punk
[*]Insititutionalized / Senses Fail
[*]When You Were Young [Remix] / The Killers
[/list]
Posted
[QUOTE=Dario][SIZE=1]This week, I've been playing Guitar Hero II, and now I'm tapping into my inner metalhead, so this week's coolest song is:

[B]Beast And The Harlot[/B] / Avenged Sevenfold

hourable mentions include:[/SIZE]
[list]
[*]Robot Rock [Maximum Overdrive Mix] / Daft Punk
[*]Insititutionalized / Senses Fail
[*]When You Were Young [Remix] / The Killers
[/list][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]>_< Oh my god, i know you did not just gratify Senses Fail on their hideous rehash of [B]Institutionalized[/B]. the ORIGINAL, man!!! Now that's where its at!!! [B]Suicidal Tendencies[/B]!!!

Also, if you've only been listening to [B]Beast And The Harlot [/B] on GH2, go listen to the real song. The coverband on GH2 does an allright job, but the singing is horrifying and the guitars are awkward at parts (prolly cuz they turned up the bass so much).

Anywho, just to stay on topic, [B]Black Rose Immortal [/B] by [B]Opeth[/B] is awe-inspiring. A 20-minute epic of total coolness. [/COLOR]
Guest NIKI12345
Posted
Well my song of the week is called "Remember the Names" . You can find it at Youtube. Here this might help you.
You tell me if you like it or not.
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULrbddjFoXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULrbddjFoXM[/URL]
Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrange]The best song of the week, and one of the bes of all-time, is [B]Dragonforce[/B]'s track [B]Valley of the Damned[/B]. It's awesome, it's brilliant and it's inspriring! I hope to one day gather 10 people and sing this song together! I love it![/COLOR]
Posted
[SIZE=1]This week it's a tie between DJ Sammy's Remix/Cover of Heaven [orginally by Bryan Adams] and World On Fire [Junkie XL Mix] by Sarah McLachlan why? cos I have this weird indescribable vibe running through me this week [a mixture of bliss (that has come from out of nowhere) with a very violent philosophical twist] both of them are very cool mixes in my opinion.[/SIZE]
Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrange]For this week, it's mostly been the first 3 songs from [B]Opeth's [/B] [B]Damnation [/B] album. [B]Windowpane[/B], [B]In My Time Of Need[/B], and [B]Death Whispered A Lullaby [/B] are all beautiful and well composed tracks, all worth a litsen and guaranteed to get stuck in your head for a good while. In fact, [B]Windowpane [/B] is the song featured in my signature and banner.

Another addicting [B]Opeth [/B] track is [B]Master's Apprentices[/B]. One of the few screamy songs with that capability.[/COLOR]
Posted
[color=crimson]I nominate [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61k041I4aEo]Buckethead[/url] for coolest song in the world this week.

Second, props to The White Stripes [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV00cdInPKw]covering Son House[/url]'s classic Blues song Death Letter numerous times live.[/color]
Posted
[color=darkred][size=1]

My new song this week is [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC9Er-rpzJI][b] "Throw Some D's"[/b][/URL] by Rich Boy, an up and coming rap star from Alabama.

I also love the beat changes in the songs remixes by [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir_g-vTLwnw][b]DJ Phantom[/b][/URL], [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmKZarkM6vY][b]DJ Unreal[/b][/URL], and [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dYr6vrmI8c][b]DJ Bounce[/b][/URL]. Good ears those three have.

Warning, video links are uncut song versions, but the song isn't very explicit.[/color][/size]
Posted
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][SIZE=1]This week it is definitely "American Pie" by Don McLean. It's an amazing song with the most beautiful lyrics. It portrays the popular culture of the 60's and 70's in an incredible way![/SIZE][/COLOR]
Posted
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Sienna]This week, my nomination has to go to [b]Siberian Khatru[/b] by [b]Yes![/b]. Technically amazing, but it's still very air-guitarable. Jon Anderson's vocals are amazing, as they always are, the drumming is superb. Neil Peart-ian, nearly. Yes!'s use of synths and keyboards is unparralled, and IMO it's this song, not [b]Roundabout[/b], which best demonstrates this. The lyrics are kind of... confusing, but the song ain't about no lyrics!

Honourable Mentions: [b]Starship Trooper - Yes![/b], [b]Kid Charlamenge - Steely Dan[/b], [b]Farm on the Freeway - Jethro Tull[/b], [b]Uncle Remus - Frank Zappa[/b], and [b]Whisky in the Jar - Thin Lizzy[/b].

And remember: even Siberia goes through the motions![/COLOR][/FONT]
Posted
[size=1][color=DimGray]I would have to nominate [b]Hava Nagila[/b] in all of its various incarnations.

I've got to throw props to my Judaic brothers and sisters.



[/color][/size]
Guest StarNite
Posted
"Dig" by Incubus
"A Manner of Speaking" Nouvell Vague
Posted
[SIZE=1] [B][URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJiFdYf4t4]Papercut[/URL][/B] from[B] Linkin Park[/B] is awarded number one on my charts. The old school-cutting edge material seems to never get old. Rapping that would put Mr. Kanye West back on the streets without pay.

2nd place goes to [B][URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9lFjncLruU]QWERTY[/URL][/B] which is the new song from [B]Linkin Park[/B]. Pretty Heavy with good and powerful rapping.

3rd place is granted to [B]Daughtry[/B]'s[B] [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqaG1sbnWdQ]It's Not Over[/URL][/B] which seems to never get old no matter how many times I listen to it.

surprised I didn't pick another LP song? lol[/SIZE]
Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrange]*realises I've been doing these two a week* sorry bout that. Gotta make sure I get them before they change.

this week it's a few of the strangest songs by what is easily the strangest band I know. These songs would be [B]Day 11: Love[/B], [B]Day 16: Loser[/B], and [B]Day 9: School [/B] by the rock opera group [B]Ayreon[/B]. I heard about them a long time ago but never gave much of a listen, then came back when I found out [B]Mikael Akderfelt [/B] was a singer on [B]The Human Equasion[/B]. Three strange and great songs. I may buy the CD.[/COLOR]
Posted
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I nominate the song "I Could Care Less" by [B]DevilDriver[/B] because it's just a great song all the way around. I love the guitar in this song.:p[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Guest NIKI12345
Posted
My number one songs this week. They are from a movie.

Here is number one. [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtTZd_9GXgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtTZd_9GXgk[/URL]

Number two[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxieCW8D9cM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxieCW8D9cM[/URL]

The first one is called I want to be like other girls and the second one is called I'll make a man out of you.

Oh here is my last one and its called Pretty Fly for a white guy.
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F869_yPRMPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F869_yPRMPw[/URL]
Posted
Hmm... song of the week.

If I had to pick one for this week, it would be [I]Soul Society[/I] by [B]Kamelot[/B]. It's always been a great song but it's been stuck in my head since seeing a Bleach AMV that used it.
Posted
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Just like with [B]Opeth[/B], i only just learned about this band and then later discovered that it's lead singer was a part of Ayreon. The band being Dream Theater.

These guys are pretty awesome and I've been loving some of their tracks, epecially since I know own the [B]Train of Thought [/B] CD. If you like Progressive Rock or metal I'd definetally reccomend them. [B]Endless Sacrifice[/B], [B]As I Am[/B], [B]Caught In A Web[/B], [B]The Great Debate[/B], [B]Stream of Concienceness, [/B] they have a lot of amazing tracks which I'd love to nominate.

EDIT: [B]Day Twelve: Trauma [/B] = best of [B]Ayreon[/B][/COLOR]
Posted
[color=crimson][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBy6AIv4dL0]The World Is Our.. by This Will Destroy You[/url] is my pick for this week.

I saw this band live last weekend and they were stellar. I hope they get the publicity they deserve.[/color]
Posted
[QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson][url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBy6AIv4dL0]The World Is Our.. by This Will Destroy You[/url] is my pick for this week.

I saw this band live last weekend and they were stellar. I hope they get the publicity they deserve.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Amazing song right there. And in an eerie twist of fate, I suggest "Only Moment We Were Alone" by Explosions in the Sky, another ambient/rock band like This Will Destroy You, as my song of the week.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...