OtakuBoards

Politically Themed Forum

Lt.Zero

First off I would like to apoligize if this is in the wrong place. Well I have a suggestion for a new forum. Lately I have been noticing alot of threads that have political themes posted in the Otaku Lounge forum. I would like to throw out the idea of making a forum made specifically for politically related threads. Also, since a member of the OtakuBoards has the potential of being banned for mispelling on to much, I would like to suggest that a spell check option be available to members when making a new post in a thread. It could be where the options of inserting a shortcut or picture are located. Any comments?

A politically themed forum would be a breeding ground for flame wars and gangups, and the very existence of it would encourage even more drawn-out debates on topics wholly deviant from the original discussion.

That would rock. Let's do it.

[QUOTE=John]A politically themed forum would be a breeding ground for flame wars and gangups, and the very existence of it would encourage even more drawn-out debates on topics wholly deviant from the original discussion.

That would rock. Let's do it.[/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Too bad there's nowhere near enough political threads to justify it, huh?

Also, Firefox 2.0 has an inbuilt spellchecker. I suggest that.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Too bad there's nowhere near enough political threads to justify it, huh? [/font][/color'][/size][/quote]

[color=crimson]Political threads make up for their lack of numbers by usually spinning out of control towards having 100-200 posts in them full of bickering monkeys.

It evens out.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

As has been stated in a rather round-about way, the Lounge simply doesn't generate enough solely politically based threads to warrant a single forum. Besides the whole purpose of the Lounge is discussion that doesn't belong in other major sections of the boards, so it makes little sense to start splitting hairs as it were when it comes to such a forum.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']...the Lounge simply doesn't generate enough solely politically based threads to warrant a single forum. Besides the whole purpose of the Lounge is discussion that doesn't belong in other major sections of the boards, so it makes little sense to start splitting hairs as it were when it comes to such a forum.[/SIZE][/quote]

That pritty much sums it all right there. Although a good idea, it all comes down to management, and the amount of threads a specific topic would create.

As for your second question, which everyone so far has seemed to forgotten, I think that it's a good idea. Here's a reminder:

[quote name='Lt.Zero']Also, since a member of the OtakuBoards has the potential of being banned for mispelling on to much, I would like to suggest that a spell check option be available to members when making a new post in a thread. It could be where the options of inserting a shortcut or picture are located.[/quote]

I'm not sure how it would be done, seeing as I'm not especially good with the whole web site structure thing, but a spell check would be nice. I think that it would be great, not only for the n00bz or the members who have trouble spelling, but for some of the other members, who just type without paying any attention to spelling. (as in during those heated debates that seem to surface during, ironically enough, the political debates, etc.)

That's my two cents.

~Random[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=crimson]
if you take the political threads out of the Lounge, you take away one of the reasons for the lounge existing.

And yeah, there isn't enough political threads to warrant a forum anyway. Look at the US midterm elections, and the big result for the Democrats... Not a thread about it.[/color]

Guest Th3BlackParad3
[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]I want a forum solely dedicated to talking about Abortion.

Has there been one of those recently?

[b]Edit[/b]: No, wait a forum dedicated to RAMEN! How awesome and authentically asian would that be![/size][/QUOTE]

OMG OMG!!! WE NEED A RAMEN FORUM!!!!!!!! WE NNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD IT!!!!! i love ramen!!! id also like a spell checker- im the worst speller in the world! ( is speller a word? i dont kno! xD)

xD GO RAMEN!

[QUOTE=Shinje][color=crimson]
if you take the political threads out of the Lounge, you take away one of the reasons for the lounge [strike]existing[/strike] sucking.[/color][/QUOTE][color=#b0000b][size=1]Just kidding. I actually still love the O. Lounge. (I am probably its most loyal defender, huh?)

But yeah, for an [b]anime[/b] forum that [i]only has one section for anime[/i], it doesn't make so much sense to break up social discussion into individual boards.

It's not that it's a bad idea, Lt. Zero. It's more that OB has evolved over the years to the point where it is now, and a lot of things have already been tried along the way. The direction we ended up going was "fewer, broader forums" instead of "many specific forums."

Please don't let the resounding "um, that's a dumb idea" response deter you from posting suggestions in the future. We have a lot of know-it-alls here, and we're not always the kindest people. We all secretly love the Suggestions forum, though, because it allows us to show off our vast knowledge of the inner workings of the OB. And the staff and admins similarly enjoy reading new suggestions?sometimes, they even implement them. =][/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Th3BlackParad3]OMG OMG!!! WE NEED A RAMEN FORUM!!!!!!!! WE NNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD IT!!!!! i love ramen!!! id also like a spell checker- im the worst speller in the world! ( is speller a word? i dont kno! xD)

xD GO RAMEN![/QUOTE]

[font=arial]I think Baron was joking. :animestun

As Sara said, we do read all suggestions and take them all seriously. It's definitely worth pointing out that we have tried many different approaches in the past - afterall, OB has existed for several years now.

Some things just haven't worked for us. So what we have today is largely what suits our community the best - but our community does gradually change and we always need to be on the look out for new ideas.[/font]

[color=#656446]Go for it. It would do well as a subforum under OL. Though it probably won't have as many threads, it can surpass the popularity of the Manga Workshop post for post.

If you build it, they will come. Or if it fails to generate enough threads, we can always send them religious threads in said subforum, yeah?

PSSSSST: I've a feeling OB's not the kind of board that creates fora out of projected number of threads. A newbie forum would attract a LEGIONS of posters yet we still do not have one.[/COLOR]

Honestly, regardless of sides taken, very few people here know much of anything politically related to begin with. Do we really need a separate section dedicated to dozens of posts presenting only two real ideas?

I don't think so, but what else can I say. Sometimes I don't understand how some of those threads last as long here as they do... but a lot of it is chalked up to few people actually reading other people's posts thoroughly.

[quote name='James][font=arial']I think Baron was joking. :animestun[/font][/quote]
[size=1]Judging by the enthusiastic response, I definitely think it could be a possibility though James. I'm sure there are hundreds of things people could discuss about ramen, possibly thousands even. I honestly think it would be well worth your time to consider opening a ramen forum, perhaps even under it's own Category. I think it's just what we need. [COLOR=Silver]Honest.[/COLOR]
[/size]