OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards Survivor 4: The Mercenaries [E]

Sandy

[font=Century Gothic][center][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/SamSandy/OB%20Survivor/4-flag-mercenaries4.png[/IMG][/center]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Welcome to OtakuBoards Survivor 4 and your Team Thread, [b]Mercenaries[/b]! This thread is meant for only you guys and me, and I hope that you will use this place to communicate with each other rather than private messages. Feel free to talk about whatever you want in this thread, because it all serves to your team spirit.

Here are the profiles of your members:
[indent][strike][B]Gavin[/B]
19 years old male from Ireland
Strengths: RPGs, Discussion/Debates
Weaknesses: Anime/Manga, Music[/strike]

[strike][B]indifference/Crystia[/B]
26 years old female from USA
Strengths: Discussion/Debates
Weaknesses: Computers, Art/Graphics[/strike][/indent][/COLOR]

Your first challenge is quite simple, and it?s the same for all four teams.

[center][size=5]First Challenge: Teaming Up[/size][/center]

In order to build up your team, you will have to decide upon several things. Here?s a task list that you must [b]complete within a week[/b], meaning everything must be done by January 27th.
[indent][b]1.[/b] First things first, each of you must [b]introduce yourself[/b] to your team mates. How you do this is up to you, just at least tell them a little something about yourself.
[b]2.[/b] Having your team named after an administrator doesn?t describe you guys very well, so why don?t you [b]come up with a team name of your own[/b]. It can be whatever you want, within reason, and it will replace the name your team has now. Just don?t make it too long so that it?ll fit everywhere.
[b]3.[/b] Then decide your team?s [b]color[/b] out of those listed in the color-menu. The color must also clearly differ from those of all other teams, so one team cannot have plain red while another has dark red. Its first come first served with this one, so you might want to reserve a color you want at the main thread.
[b]4.[/b] You also have to decide who will be your first [b]Team Captain[/b]. You can do it by voting or by a battle of wills, whatever you choose.
[b]5.[/b] Using your team?s new name and color, make a [b]flag[/b] for your team to replace the holder I put to the top of this post. The flag must be [b]300x100 pixels[/b] in size, no more, no less. The flag [b]must[/b] contain the name and color of your team, but nothing stops you from adding more details to it. You are free to use the flag as a banner in your signature if you so choose.
[b]6.[/b] After these tasks, your chosen [b]captain will report everything[/b] you?ve come up (captain, team name, color and flag) [b]to the main OBS4 thread[/b]. The team with the most effective teamwork, the most describing name and the most creative flag will win this challenge, while the other three teams will face their first Team Council, where three players will be voted off.
[b]7.[/b] Please note that if a player doesn?t post even once during this first challenge, he or she will be [b]replaced by a standby player[/b] before the Team Councils.[/indent]

If any questions rise about this challenge or about the use of this thread, don?t hesitate to ask. Now, [b]Team Desbreko, GO![/b][/font]

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE=1]It's actually been ages since I wrote an introduction so this was a little challenging.

Well I suppose to start off I'll go with the obvious, my name's Gavin, I'm Irish, nearly 20 years of age and a high school student currently repeating my last two years there-in after dropping out due to a serious neck injury. I'm hoping to go and study Psychology and Sociology in University in about fifteen months time and become a full time practicing therapist/counsellor afterwards.

I'm a five and a bit year veteran of Otaku[b]Boards[/b], having joined all the way back in October 2001, although that was under a different account, Majin Gogeta if I remember correctly. I started off active nearly entirely in the Arena, writing RPGs as part of the DBZ crew from back in the day, I'm probably best remembered from that era under the usernames of Red XIII or Outcast.

Nowadays my mischief isn't really confined to any segment of the boards, heh, save the Anime Category where I very rarely post. I'm often involved in discussions in the Lounge, which I find to be a good way to get to know other members of OB's ever-growing community. Even nowadays however I'm much more comfortable working in the Arena, giving a hand where I can and discussing new stories and techniques with my fellow role-players.

I guess that's pretty much everything.

[b][Edit][/b] Forgot the team captain, name and team colours.

[B]Team Captain:[/B] I'd say Crystia/Indifference would make a good team captain from her work in the Lounge.

[B]Team Name:[/b] The Purple Cobras (Dodgeball Ruled)

[B]Team Colour:[/B] As evident from our name, some form of [COLOR=#250058][B]purple[/B][/COLOR].[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]y helo thar. I'm clearly Alexa (or Anomaly if you wish =3), and I'm 16. I'm in grade eleven and at this point I am exactly at the halfway point in highschool which is both scary and exciting. After I graduate I'd like to major in English and also attend the Emily Carr Art Institute in Vancouver, British Columbia.

I'm heavily involved in extracurricular activities, I'm in 2 bands outside of the main school band, Jazz 1 and Wind Ensemble and I play trumpet for each of them. I've been playing trumpet for 5 years now, and music is a big part of my life. Soccer is my other main activity, and I've been playing that for almost 13 years, the last 4 years of which have been played on a club team, competitively.

I haven't really been around OB that long. I did join in 2003 but almost immediately went into OB hibernation. I was new to messageboards and I was intimidated by this one. Sometime last year I came back, got semi-active for awhile, then let my interest re-peter out. I'm back yet again, and hopefully for good, because it's been nothing but good experiences so far. I really hope I can meet alot of new people this time around.

[B]Team Captain:[/B] I'd like to second a vote for Crystia/indifference.

[B]Team Colour:[/B] I'd actually like to put out a vote for red or mayhaps teal. I do love teal...

[B]Team Name: [/B] Eh.. I'm working on it. I'll be back with an edit![/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal]Lets see, a bit about me right? Well I?m a fourteen-year-old female and High School student as well. Though I?ve audited college classes before and if my Mom could afford it I would be going there instead. I loved those classes!

As for what I like to do, I love to read. ^_^ It started when I was about seven and realized that I couldn?t read the words in a non-picture book very well. I proceeded to drive my mom and teachers nuts by asking them to help me read the words and find out what they meant. After several months of being pestered my mom took me to the bookstore and got me my own dictionary and some other stuff to help me as well. Hehe I spent hours and hours attempting to figure things out, so in a sense, other than the basics I taught myself to read a lot of stuff.

As for what I want to do, I eventually want to become a vet or a technician at a vet clinic or even run my own grooming or pet shop. ^_^ Right now all I do is occasionally help some of the elderly neighbors by walking their dog for them a couple of times a week.

The last couple of years I?ve gotten into anime and video games, which eventually lead to here. I didn?t really search around as SunfallE told me about this place, so I joined myOtaku and then wandered over to OtakuBoards and signed up. I haven?t gotten to the boy crazy phase yet; I just don?t see the attraction to wearing nail polish, makeup and dating. Meh, I?m sure that will change soon enough.

As for the Team captain I agree with having Crystia/indifference as well. ^_^

I also like the name The Purple Cobra?s, since I like the color purple as well. I?m not the best at doing graphics but I?m willing to at least give it a try!

I should at least mention that in spite of what Sandy says about the name not describing us well, there is definately a good history behind the name Desbreko, in addition to being the user name of the great Des himself, having founded the Desbreko fanclub... research showed that the Desbreko is one of the monsters found in The Legend of Zelda: Majora?s mask. Similar to the Skullfish, the Desbreko is larger and more vicious. They have no stomach to fill, but they still enjoy inflicting pain on the living. Once it senses you it will pursue you and hurt you as many times as possible. So that's one dedicated and determined and downright mean fish! ^_~[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Here?s a bit about myself then:

My real name is Crystia, I?m 26 and I currently live in Salt Lake City, Utah, where I am attending college. I?m currently working towards getting my bachelors degree in Psychology. Which if everything goes well will happen at the end of this summer.

I also work as a volunteer for the Women?s Crisis Center for victims of domestic violence. Once I have my degree I intend to work as a counselor in the same area and also start working on graduate school to eventually become a psychologist.

I?m actually the only member of my family living in Utah. My parents moved here over ten years ago and when my parents decided to move back to the eastern side of the US I stayed behind since I had just started college. I also have issues with allergies and the dry desert climate here in Utah is far more agreeable than some of the more green states.

I have many friends here that I attended High School with who are either finished with college or are also attending the same university I am. Although I do date, I don?t have anyone that I would consider a steady boyfriend.

I enjoy video games and anime, though in all honestly my biggest attraction to anime is the art. I love to collect art books the same way people collect series. I suppose the one difference is I?m no artist, no drawing talent whatsoever and I?m very clueless when it comes to computers.

[B]Team Captain:[/B] It?s rather ironic that Gavin mentioned me as I was thinking his devotion to RPG?s and longstanding activity here at OB would make him an excellent choice for leading. I?m more than happy to go by the general agreement, and if that?s the case I?d be happy to accept the position to represent us as a team. ;)

[B]Team Name:[/B] The Purple Cobras works for me unless someone else has another idea.

[B]Team Color:[/B] I also adore the color purple. I like Teal and red as well.

[B]Team Flag:[/B] I?m not sure how all of you want to do this, I can do graphics, but my skills do not even come close to some of the other more talented artists here. It may have said I had that skill at first in this thread, but that was a typo and not correct. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]My photoshop skills are alright, once we decide I can try and whip something up >_> Aaryanna would probably be best for the job, because her banners are always really neat =3 but I can contribute in any way you need, I'm not [I]entirely[/I] photoshop-ically challenged.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference][COLOR=DarkRed][B]Team Captain:[/B'] It?s rather ironic that Gavin mentioned me as I was thinking his devotion to RPG?s and longstanding activity here at OB would make him an excellent choice for leading.[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Although I appreciate the vote of confidence Crystia, I think you'd make the better captain in the overall run of the game. If needs be I'll step up, but I have a record of bad luck when it comes to leading teams.

Given that we all have some skills with graphics, I think we should probably each design a flag and go with the best one after that. Anyway it seems we've settled on [B]Purple Cobras[/B] as the team name and Crystia as our captain, which just leaves the team colours. I don't mind what we use in the end, so long as it's legible, heh, but if we're the Purple Cobras, it would make sense to use purple as our team colour.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Anomaly][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]although purple cobras seems to be the most popular, I'd like to toss my team name into the ring at the last second, sorry it took so long!

If we went with red, I think that The Mercenaries would be a cool team name.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Oh sorry, I didn't mean to sound as if the vote was over, I'm still definitely open to any other names and colours.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Teal] [quote name='Anomaly][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]My photoshop skills are alright, once we decide I can try and whip something up >_> Aaryanna would probably be best for the job, because her banners are always really neat =3 but I can contribute in any way you need, I'm not [I]entirely[/I] photoshop-ically challenged.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]Thanks! ^_^ I'll certainly do my best.

As for the team flag, I can take all of the suggestions and produce several different ones that I can pm to everyone and at that point we can vote on them. Even though we haven?t heard from Darren yet I?ll at least go ahead and get started on them this weekend.

I?ll just be sure to save them in a PSD format so I can tweak them if needed. So expect a flag representing the purple cobras and one representing the mercenaries. ^_^ That way we can see which one we end up liking the best. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Aaryanna][COLOR=Teal]Even though we haven?t heard from Darren yet I?ll at least go ahead and get started on them this weekend.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Century Gothic]Darren informed me that he'll be away this weekend, but will jump right in when he gets back. ;D[/FONT]

Okay, I'm home from the place! Now it's work time! Since I'm not so great at introductions without at least questions directing me in the right direction, I'll just use a standard intro:

Hmmm... Well my Name is Darren, but you all can call me Lee since that other guy stole me name! But he was born before me, so I guess it's okay. I'm 16 years old and I'm currently a Junior in High school. I'm totally loving how close to graduation I am! I think I'm bipolar... Or some kinda mental disorder, but my parents don't worry very much so they just say. "Oh, you're fine." I do have a germaphobia thing going on, so try to sneeze away from me! *eww*
I'm usually shy at first, but once you get to know me, I'm a riot... Or at least that's what people tell me, but you can never be totally sure unless you do stand-up. I can get along with everyone, but not everyone can get along with me. This is because I tend to be pertty straight-forward and blunt, and people usually confuse that with rudeness. Sorry! I'm very intellegent (4.346 and ranked 2nd in my class) and I give great advice. (unless you don't like "bluntness")
What else can I say to make you think I'm more of a psycho? (which I'm not, btw) *lightbulb* I love acting!!! It's my passion. Someday, I hope to be a big movie screen actor and win lots of awards and be cool, and rub it in all of my enemies faces!!!! Muahahaha! I know that I want to go to UCLA when I graduate, and hopefully I'll be able to start a career in the business by then... but just in case, I have a fall-back to get my business degree. (Yeah, I know, I'm boring)
I'm very artsy and creative. And, if you decide that I'm annoying and should be the first one gone, please consider the creativity and let me stay!!! That's my worst fear: to be gone first... But that's only if we lose this competition. (which I highly doubt because we're the bomb of OB Survivor... I can tell)
So I've talked a little into the personal and academic life, so the only one left is... Sports. *Blah*
I'm not good at sports. In fact, I'm very puny (and frail, as my friends call me. They also call me tweak because this one time at camp-- Nevermind, that's another story)
However, I jump hurdles in track and I can swim very well. If I were able to swim competitively, I would but my school doesn't have a swim team. *tear*
[funny story: I didn't even know how to swim until 2 years ago... I had the nick name driftwood. (as you can tell, I have many nick names) and then we got a pool at my house and now I can swim better than most people I know. ^_^]
hmmm, that's all the sports I play, but I'm getting ready to start Tae Kwan Do... So that's kinda athletic! And now that all this is over, I'm done!

Seeing that I haven't been on here to help with the develpmental process of the team name and color, I'll just give my opinion: I like the color red better and I think we should go with the mercenaries... There's no need to copy a movie. (even though, yes Gavin, Dodgeball kicked some serious tail) Plus, I just hate the color purple, but it's okay, I'll go with whatever we decide

And on that note, I guess we're still debating a team captain??? Well seeing as most have said Indifference, I don't see why I should break the mold... So it's unanimous, right?

Lastly, I just want to say that I also have some skills with photoshop. (I took a class in school! ^_^) So Aaryanna, if you need any help when you're done with it all, I'm your guy!

[COLOR=Teal][QUOTE=Darren]And on that note, I guess we're still debating a team captain??? Well seeing as most have said Indifference, I don't see why I should break the mold... So it's unanimous, right?

Lastly, I just want to say that I also have some skills with photoshop. (I took a class in school! ^_^) So Aaryanna, if you need any help when you're done with it all, I'm your guy![/QUOTE]Crystia it is then! Congrats! ^_^

As for the flag, I've already pm'd my first attempt to everyone. And if you see something you'd like to change just let me know, or you could whip up one of your own and then we can decide which one we like best.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Great job on the flags Aaryanna, out of the two I like the Purple Cobra's the best. Though if Darren want's to give it a try that's fine too. If we go with the purple I have another idea which I will pm you about Aaryanna as it would make our final entry look a bit more spiffy in my opinion. [quote name='Darren'] Well my Name is Darren, but you all can call me Lee since that other guy stole me name! But he was born before me, so I guess it's okay. [/quote]That's exactly what he told me when he saw that there was a Darren here at OB. ;) If you prefer going by Darren, there won't be any confusion on my part. [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference][COLOR=DarkRed']Great job on the flags Aaryanna, out of the two I like the Purple Cobra's the best.[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I have to admit I actually prefer the Mercenary's one, the Cobras flag just seems to be a little too non-descript to me, sorry Aaryanna. Though in fairness they're both better than what I could come up with.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Teal][quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']I have to admit I actually prefer the Mercenary's one, the Cobras flag just seems to be a little too non-descript to me, sorry Aaryanna. Though in fairness they're both better than what I could come up with.[/SIZE][/quote]:p There's no need to apologize since I'm not anywhere as talented as some of the true graphic artists here. I think you'll like what Darren suggested for the other flag.

Now in favor of shaking things up I'm going to do what some of the other groups have done...It's question time! :catgirl:
[B]
What's your favorite animal and why?[/B]

I think everyone already knows what my favorite is. *points to her avatar and banner* But after that the next one I love is cats. I love watching how they are so curious and get into everything and when they curl up in a patch of sunlight to take a nap, they are just too cute for words.

[B]What's your favorite hobby and why?[/B]

Mine is reading. Because there are so many imaginary worlds to be explored. I never get tired of reading about them. I just adore fantasy novels and next would be Science Fiction, I've even read quite a few of the additional books written for the Star Wars series. Out of all the authors for that one, I've enjoyed Timothy Zahn's contributions the best. [/COLOR]

I love it Aaryanna!!! I vote for the mercenaries flag! But, as I said before, it doesn't matter to me what we choose as long as we beat the others! And I really want to use that as an avatar... But I'll wait for everyone's decision. After all, if we end up being the purple cobras, I wouldn't want a mercenaries avatar; that wouldn't be very smart!

[U]Edit: I just noticed that Aaryanna posted questions so I'll answer them now...[/U]

[B]Favorite Animal:[/B] That's a bit difficult. I like bats, but at the same time I like foxes... Bats are cool because they can fly and they're mammals. They're also creatures of the night, but then I like the fact that Foxes are sly. (Plus I once saw a gray fox in my back yard watching me and my friends in the pool. It took a long time before I could figure out what it was. Sadly, I didn't have a camera on me, and it ran off before I could think of anything to do. That was probably my only chance to ever see a wild fox, but that's okay)
In the end, I'm going to have to go with a bat. A fruit bat to be exact. They're small, but they actually have a fox's face so they get the best of both worlds!

[B]Favorite Hobby:[/B] I think I already answered that in my intro: It's acting! I currently have the lead in my school play so that takes up the majority of my time, but I also enjoy reading, writing, drawing, anything artistic! I seriously look forward to moving to L.A.

I'll add a quetion: [B]If you could use one song (set in loop) for the soundtrack of your life, what would it be?[/B]
Mine is this great little song by Grandaddy called AM 180. If you've ever seen 28 days later, this song is playing while the 4 main characters are riding around on grocery carts in the store, stocking up on food... It's such a cool and unique song, I find that I can listen to it in loop and not get bored or annoyed. When I hear it, I picture a funny stick figure animation with a little guy walking down a sidewalk... Simple, yet it describes my life perfectly. (Since I tend to be walking a lot-- Okay, bad example, but it's my brain so I'll think what I want)

[COLOR=Teal][quote name='Darren']I love it Aaryanna!!! I vote for the mercenaries flag! But, as I said before, it doesn't matter to me what we choose as long as we beat the others! And I really want to use that as an avatar... But I'll wait for everyone's decision. After all, if we end up being the purple cobras, I wouldn't want a mercenaries avatar; that wouldn't be very smart![/quote] :catgirl: I'm glad you like it. I've made another version that I've sent to everyone that would fit with the other part a little better. So let me know what you guys think, or if someone else has made one show us what you've done in a pm. ^_^

I need to dash since I have to get ready for school, so I'll answer questions later today.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Well I must say that I like the mercenary flag as well Aaryanna, especially the second one. And what you did with the other part looks fantastic. So now the question is what is Gavin?s and Alexa?s take on it? I?d like to hear what you two have to say before I post in the main thread. ;)

[B]What?s your favorite animal and why?
[/B]
As far as personality goes I like dogs the best, but for their playful nature I like Cats the best. Especially since having a dog with my busy schedule would never work where having a cat would be possible.

[B]What?s your favorite hobby and why?[/B]

I have so many. :) But recently it?s been video games. I must have spent nearly all my spare time over the holidays playing the new Twilight Princess game. When the weather is nicer I love to go hiking with my friends.
[B]
If you could use one song (set in loop) for the soundtrack of your life, what would it be?[/B]

I don?t remember who composed it, but I remember hearing a piece that represented the flow of a river as it passed many things from a field to a town. I?m thinking it would make a nice song to have in loop.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Lovin' the mercenaries one, it totally rocks. That's where my vote goes. Thanks, Aaryanna!

Favourite animal?
Based on looks, I love the cheetah. So sleek and beautiful, and they run so fast.. I've always loved cheetahs. When I grow up, I hope to have cats (though it's funny, right now we have 2 dogs, and one is a bichon!)

What's your favourite hobby and why?
Well I think I partly answered, but soccer is probably my top priority, it gives me a rush and place to take out all my aggression! Music would be second, because I think it's so amazing how the music just comes together, and it makes me so happy when I perform with my fellow bandmates =3 Then of course, are my videogames. Also somewhat of a stress reliever, and they're just fun.

If you could use one song (set in loop) for the soundtrack of your life, what would it be?

Haha, hard. Ummm.. as of right now, I'm tempted to say Jynweythyk Ylow from the Marie Antoinette Soundtrack. I'm really into instrumentals right now, and it's such a neat mix of piano and harpsichord.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Aaryanna, those banners and avatars you've made are nothing short of wicked and my support is now firmly rooted behind [B]The Mercenaries[/B] as a team name. Of the newer two, I actually like the one without the border better for some reason, it just seems to be a little more understated than the bordered one.

Anyway on to the questions.

[B]What's your favorite animal and why?[/B]
Honestly I'd have to say cats, we've got a bunch of them at home what with living in the country, and despite the fact they can be completely idiots sometimes I still adore the lot of them. I've had dogs, and as much as I like them for all their great characteristics, cats are just that little bit more independent and intelligent, at least from my experience.

I've actually named most of my cats after fellow OB members, I'll see if I can get a picture of them all together.

[B]What's your favorite hobby and why?[/B]
Like Aaryanna, my favourite hobby simply has to be reading for the sheer pleasure of being able to immerse myself in the worlds, or in the case of my sci-fi collection, universes of the author. My favourite genre is the inverse of Aaryanna's, sci-fi then fantasy, with Star Wars being the staple of my collection. I don't really have a favourite overall sci-fi author, one of the things I like about the Star Wars Expanded Universe it the way different authors give their own distinct touches to the continuity.

Outside of Star Wars and Star Trek, I'm currently enjoying Kevin J. Anderson's [B]Saga of the Seven Suns[/b] series of novels, though sadly it seems to have a limited fan base.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Sounds like we are now the mercenaries and that our color is red. Something that I will go and post in the main thread to avoid confusion, however, since Aaryanna has made two beautiful flags for the occasion; we need to decide which one we wish to use.

My vote is going towards the second one. I like the crisp border and the additional graphics she put on it as it matches the avatars quite well. Once I have the decision I?ll update the thread with our flag and the other part of the presentation.
[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=indifference][COLOR=DarkRed]Sounds like we are now the mercenaries and that our color is red. Something that I will go and post in the main thread to avoid confusion, however, since Aaryanna has made two beautiful flags for the occasion; we need to decide which one we wish to use.

My vote is going towards the second one. I like the crisp border and the additional graphics she put on it as it matches the avatars quite well. Once I have the decision I?ll update the thread with our flag and the other part of the presentation.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I also vote for the second one for the same reason... I think it just adds to the entire flag and matches the avis way better. Symmetry should be a deciding factor in the winner, correct?