OtakuBoards

5 Worst Voiceovers In your Videogame history

Nomurah!

[B][COLOR=Magenta]Well..This thread is basically about the 5 worst voiceovers you've ever experienced. This doesn't have to be in any particular order, or anything. I would like it if you kind of went into these posts, but if you're too lazy to do that...then whateva.

ANYWHO.

Well I've played alot of games. And it's hard to pick out the worst voiceovers...because...well there is alot of bad ones. The ones I hate the most shall be on ze list.

Tidus (Final Fantasy X)- I love this game, I really do...but...I started replaying it...and that's when you really see how bad it is. lol... Tidus sounds so...horrible. He doesn't look like he sounds at all...He looks so cool and young, and like awesome. But...his voiceovers sounds like Michael J. Fox. Ouch.

Mastercheif (Before Halo 1, while still testing, shown at E3)...Well. Not much to say, you just need to see the video of this for yourself... Mastercheif had a really bad robotic accent lol

Link (legend of Zelda..old ripoff of nintendo, disc version) WELL...Link was an old pervy guy that wanted to...well Can't say that on the OB but he was pretty bad. But he sounded pretty pervy...and..wow. Not to mention that Zelda's dad has the same voice as Yoda...You know what? This whole game is just bad.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcSvbWvn7dg[/url]

Musashi (Samurai Legend Musashi) Well this game is okay..but...well Musashi has one of those just plain annoying voices..like Naruto. Or Michael J..I mean Tidus.

Sanjuro (.hack)- In the anime .hack/LOTT, Sanjuro sounds reasonably cool. No...No not in the games. In the games he sounds like a 40 year old army sargent... He sounds OLDER than his older self in the anime. He's all rugged... and yeah.

Anywho. Yeah.[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='Kazuwa Nomura][B][COLOR=Magenta]Tidus (Final Fantasy X)- I love this game, I really do...but...I started replaying it...and that's when you really see how bad it is. lol... Tidus sounds so...horrible. He doesn't look like he sounds at all...He looks so cool and young, and like awesome. But...his voiceovers sounds like Michael J. Fox. Ouch.[/COLOR'][/B][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I imagine that I'm one of the few who actually [i]likes[/i] Tidus' voicework. Perhaps it was because I didn't expect anything specific regarding his voice beforehand, but I really don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that they matched the voice to the face almost perfectly. It just works.

Anyway, baddies... well, you're not going to get five out of me, that's for sure. It takes a real stinker of a voiceover to get me going...

#1: Farlene [?] and her partner, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, PS2. [Along with almost every other character, to be honest. It's a god-awful game for voice-acting.]
Now, I can't remember which of the two was the main culprit here, but the voice haunts me to this day. The moment that she ushered her first line, I wanted to mute the TV. Not only did the voice not go with the look of the character, it also shattered your ear-drums. High-pitched, squeaky, altogether irritating - hell, I'd rather watch a horrifically dubbed anime/kung-fu movie than play through their scenes again.

#2: Any and all weedy demons, Onimusha series, PS2.
Now, fair enough. I can see what they were going for here, sort of. The whole over-acted evil guy thing... but no. Just no. They're horrible, every last one. I do [i]not[/i] want to have to listen to some twig-like figure of evil screeching and giggling like some idiot. Sure, a sterotypical big 'n' beastly voice is bad too, but there's got to be a safe medium somewhere, right? Oh, and to add to that, using American actors to play Frenchies [including Jean Reno for cripes sake!!] in Onimusha 3, along with the ear-butchering demons. Boooo!

#3: Many characters [haven't played it in a while, so I'm afraid that specifics are a no-go], Suikoden IV, PS2.
So many things here felt awry. There was the talking cat, for one. He's young, so we have to give him a high-pitched, childish voice, right? No, damnit! It. Doesn't. Work. At all. Then, take most of the female characters. Bland, boring... disturbingly similiar voice-wise. Then take the best-friend-turned-enemy. Horrid, absolutely. You tried to give him a posh-ish voice, and you turned up a load of crap. Bah. Though, I have to say, they really pulled it back in V, which was much better. And not just in terms of voices, either.

That's all for now, though honourable mention goes to the [I]Metal Gear Solid[/I] series, the [i]Grand Theft Auto[/i] series [more for the humour of it than the actual quality], [i]Ace Combat: The Belkan War[/i] and [i]ZoE: The 2nd Runner[/i] for having some of the best voicework in PS2 games [B]ever[/B]. In my humble opinion, that is.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Dodeca][SIZE=1]That's all for now, though honourable mention goes to the [I]Metal Gear Solid[/I] series, the [i]Grand Theft Auto[/i] series [more for the humour of it than the actual quality], [i]Ace Combat: The Belkan War[/i] and [i]ZoE: The 2nd Runner[/i] for having some of the best voicework in PS2 games [B]ever[/B']. In my humble opinion, that is.[/SIZE][/quote]
[font=times new roman]I didn't think there was a soul alive that actually thought MGS had bad voice overs, but to each their own. I respect your opinion, and I'm not going to question it (sorta), but I am a bit curious as to why you think MGS has bad voicework?

In any case, I also can't stand [b]Tidus[/b] voice in Final Fantasy X. In fact, I couldn't even continue the game because of how horrible I thought his voice was. I mean, when he's actually narrating his own story, that actually sounds decent, but most of his conversations with the other characters, and in battle (atleast I think they did some talking while in battle. I haven't played it in quite a long time.) was horrible.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Edit: [color=blue]Nerdsy point it out to me, and I figured I was misreading from the start. My apologies Dodeca.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Phenom][font=times new roman']I didn't think there was a soul alive that actually thought MGS had bad voice overs, but to each their own. I respect your opinion, and I'm not going to question it (sorta), but I am a bit curious as to why you think MGS has bad voicework?[/font][/quote]

[color=deeppink]He/she doesn't think that. Those last 4 were described as the [b]best[/b] voicework ever.

Megaman Legends and Megaman 8 had [i]terrible[/i] voice-acting. My God, I wanted to stab my ears with red hot pokers.

I also felt Yuna's voicework took a dive in X-2.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I have to admit I never felt one way or the other about Tidus, he wasn't terrible nor was he great so it was never an issue for me.

[B]Princess Ashe [Final Fantasy XII][/B] - Something just rubs me the wrong way about this girl, the voice itself is not inherently bad, it's the script and it's dripping pretentiousness that irritates me. This girl is a (deposed) princess and bloody well knows it.

[b]Carth Onasi [KOTOR Series][/b] - Again nothing really wrong with the voice, but when that ***** whines about something you want to take a tibana powered blaster rifle, shove it down his throat and fire until the pack is wasted.

[b]The Voiceover Crew for Oblivion [Elder Scrolls: Oblivion][/b] - Excluding Sean Bean and Terence Stamp, which by themselves make up about 30% of the entire cast I thought Oblivion was terribly voiced. The producers used about eight actors to do every NPC, regardless of race and age in the game. There's very little variation even between NPCs, save the Daedra Lords and the whole thing just stinks of laziness. [/SIZE]

Guest Hiptob
Five ok

All the voice overs for The Eureka seven Game, I meen it is a Gundam game but not a gundam title You beat the heck out of each other with giant robots (That surf!! ON AIR!!)

I Have to say the voice overs in god of war when the gods all show up as doors... Glowy doors!! But there lips just move wrong you would think for a ps2 game they would have at least a decent facial movment animation

. hack GU Yes My fave but sadly I HATE the voice actors for people Haseo Wouldent you think the Main chara, the lead Guy would at least not sound like he is nly 16 or so...

Now for the rest of them I believe that the voice actors im Star ocean: till the end of time The VA for Cliff makes him out to be something his chara isnt... and the last one is For ALL the monster noises I know they arent too often in the non boss battles but come on... Why? I killed them so why yell random stuff the ONLY exception is the Spare me thing That is just plane funny and a great way to make cash early on!!

[color=red][size=1]Hiptob, Otakuboards has a strong emphasize on posting quality and conversation. This includes correct spelling and proper puncuations. Before you continue to post any further, I advise you to read the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?]Rules[/URL] <=Click there.. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or any other staff member. ~Phenom~[/size][/color]

[COLOR=Magenta][B]Well Hiptob...Haseo..is 16 or so. 17 to be exact.

Anywho. Yes...I felt the entire VOs of KOTOR were...extremely annoying. And ah...yes. MGS...The ruggedness of Snake. The sexiness of all those girls...ah...Eva....yes. MGS probably would not be MGS if the VOs sucked.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Cyan][I]P.S. Nahh...MGS rocks anyway.[/I][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I know this is already on page 2, but I don't think it's old enough for this to be considered necrophilia. Least not long enough for me to make a new version.

1. [B]Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean [/B] - Okay, all the VO in this game is absolutely terrible, but this game holds the single most reprehensible iteration in any game to ever be brought overseas and mangled by idiotic VOs.

It's in one of the scenes where Kalas is remembering being picked on for having one wing. One kid keeps calling him 'one wing' or whatever and then the other opens his mouth and says in complete monotone... 'you should be in a circus. Nyah.' He actually [i]verbally said the word 'nyah' in complete monotone!!![/i] you really have to hear it to believe it.

2. i agree about[B] Musashi: Samurai Legend[/B]. When my lil' bro was playing this I felt like tearing my ears off. 'I'M MuSaShI! I r SaMuRaI!!!11!!' Dear sweet god...

3. [B]Atelier Iris: Eteranl Mana [/B] - [SIZE=4]BARREL!!!![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Ah yes...after seeing a review of Baiten Kaitos, I already hated the VO's...but then my friend got it...and I witnessed firsthand the sound of crap.

The Legend of Zelda (good version): well the sound of beeping and grunts is kind of annoying, since there aren't any real voice-overs in the game.

Sims: The people in this game sound absolutely retarded when they speak a word in whatever language they're talking in. I feel kind of bad for them, in a way..[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo]For the most part I'm pretty indifferent to voice overs in games. Probably because some of the ones people complain about the most I've never really played. That and since it's a game I usually don't have high expectations to begin with. Though I do not like high pitched squeaky voices. It's like every game has to have some high pitched voice somewhere. I think the only one that didn't get on my nerves was Lucia from Lunar 2 Eternal Blue. Or Ruby the red dragon in the same game. Her irritating squeaky voice actually fit her personality. lol[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]1. [B]Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean [/B] - Okay, all the VO in this game is absolutely terrible, but this game holds the single most reprehensible iteration in any game to ever be brought overseas and mangled by idiotic VOs.

It's in one of the scenes where Kalas is remembering being picked on for having one wing. One kid keeps calling him 'one wing' or whatever and then the other opens his mouth and says in complete monotone... 'you should be in a circus. Nyah.' He actually [i]verbally said the word 'nyah' in complete monotone!!![/i] you really have to hear it to believe it.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Actually I don't really hate the voice over in this. It's the horrible odd sound mixing decisions which made the already stilted characters sound as if they're speaking underwater. Or metallic. I could have tolerated the voice overs just fine if they hadn't sounded funny to begin with. [/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]3. [B]Atelier Iris: Eteranl Mana [/B] - [SIZE=4]BARREL!!!![/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Heh! I actually thought the VO's for Eternal Mana were pretty good. They matched their characters anyway. Most of them were amusing, especially Norn, she made me giggle. Of course that might just be because it was Edward's voice from Bebop pretty much acting like Edward. The only one that annoyed me occasionally was Klein.

As for a list, I'm not sure. Hmmm.

I definately think that the VO's for Tomb Raider: Legend were pretty sucky. Pretty much all of them were terrible, especially Lara and her two croonies over the radio. God, they really píssed me off. ¬_¬

Then there's the Naruto games. Although I'm not sure that counts because it's just an extension of the atrocious job they did on the Anime. Thank the heavens for the option to use the Japanese VA's! Somebody up there likes me!

I think that's about it for now. Not much else comes to mind.

And as for Metal Gear, I can't imagine it without the awesome actors! I admit some of them were a tad bit annoying, but 99% were awesome and pretty much every voice fit the character in my opinion. Like, David Hayter is the shiznit yo![/SIZE]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]David Hayner is my favorite VA in any Video game. And I've come to realize...that Tidus...sounds just like....the guy from Driver: Parallel Lines. We can't have that now, can we? Also...annoying... I'd say Sora from the first KH. Haley Joel Osment just didn't...feel...right. Sora was what? About twelve? Haley made him sound about five. And then, Sora switches over to an older sounding dude, in the second KH ,which actually suited him quite well.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=HotPink][B] And then, Sora switches over to an older sounding dude, in the second KH ,which actually suited him quite well.[/B'][/COLOR][/quote]

[color=deeppink]You mean switched actors? Because that was still Haley Joel.[/color]

[quote name='Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=HotPink][B]Huh. My bad. Well Haley sucked in the first one, in the second one he suited Sora. There we go[/B']. [/COLOR][/quote]

[color=deeppink]I imagine puberty had a hand in that. Thank god.[/color]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Thank God, Haley didn't play VOs for a PS2 version of Chain of Memories. That's in between the two, which means he was hitting puberty right about then. Sora's voice would've kept cracking throughout every line he said. Indeed.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Charles']You are all crazy. You mention God of War in this thread, but not the original Resident Evil?[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Although I'm not really familiar with GOW I'm very familiar with Resident Evil and despite (or perhaps in spite of) its laughably poor dialogue and voice action. I can't remember a playing game were I've switched between laughing my bollocks off and getting scared of badly pixelated zombies and the like so suddenly. Maybe Dead Rising comes close in that respect, but more so because of the comic hilarity in which the Undead can be re-killed (or whatever).

Despite its massive improvement on the original, Resi remake will never be as enjoyable for me because it doesn't have the hugely amusing quality or poorly done live action cutscenes with stupildy bad acting.

Good times, good times.[/SIZE]

[color=deeppink]Woah, God of War? That had great voice acting. Looking at the post that mentions it, it seems they have more of an issue with the graphics instead of the voice over, though...

But hell. I'd call that high quality voice acting m'self.[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
[B]King of Fighters Maximum Impact 1 & 2/2006:[/B] Seriously, 2 (aka 2006) is my most fave fighting game EVER. But sadly, the English voices & the announcer SUCK. Horribly. >>; I mean, even the English that Terry Bogard's [I]JAPANESE[/I] voice actor did was better than any of the English voice actors.... XD And don't even get me started on the announcer on the character select screen. >(

As for some of the other things addressed before:
- I like both Tidus's & Sora's voice actors. I think the voices are very fitting for them. Tidus was supposed to be cocky - & his VA did a really good job of portraying that. In KH1, Sora was... 13, I believe. Anyone remember how the boys in middle school sounded? [I] REALLY FREAKING YOUNG.[/I] And guess what? Haley Joel was about 13 or 14 when he did the voice. Can't get any more real than that. At least you could tell that Sora had a boy's voice (unlike if he DID have a 5-year-old's voice. In which case you wouldn't be able to discern if he was a boy or a girl & he would be mispronouncing words all over the place.).

Ok, there's my 2 cents.

[color=darkred][size=1]

One game.

[b]Resident Evil[/b]

One sentence.

[b] "You... the master of unlocking."[/b]

An Alternative.

*lick* [b] "I hope this isn't Chris' blood..."[/b][/color][/size]

[b]Last Alert[/b]. [URL="http://zanyvgquotes.com/lastalert/last_alert1.mp3"][u]Sample 1[/u][/URL], [URL="http://zanyvgquotes.com/lastalert/last_alert2.mp3"][u]Sample 2[/u][/URL], [URL="http://zanyvgquotes.com/lastalert/last_alert3.mp3"][u]Sample 3[/u][/URL].

Thread is now basically over. "People will HATE you, [i]Steve[/i], if you're too STING-Y."

Not sure I could come up with 5 seperate voices but Resident Evil for the PS1 comes to my mind as being particularly horrid. I played the remake of it on the GameCube before the original and was curious to see what it was like, I just laughed and laughed until the first zombie, then I turned it off.

A lot of PS1 and Nintendo 64 games had pretty bad voice acting actually, I guess noone took it seriously back then.

[SIZE="1"]Back again, and back with Elder Scrolls Oblivion, this time adding the Daedric Prince Sheogoroth from the [B]Shivering Isles[/B] expansion to the list. To be fair I'm normally very tolerant of people doing Irish accents, good, bad or indifferent as usually it just implies our little accent is considered worth imitating. However in TES4 expansion the Mad God Sheogoroth's voice goes from Irish to Scottish to American depending on the level of anger, not necessarily in that order, though most often. On the plus side Haskill his chamberlain is the most funny character to date.

Again they've used the same voice actors, indeed they used the same actor who did most of the major voices for the last expansion [B]Knights of the Nine[/B], the stink of laziness is again very potent.[/SIZE]