OtakuBoards

Best Music Artist(s) Today?

Guest mewmewninja45

[size=1][font=arial][COLOR="Indigo"]I dunno, I can be pretty sure when I say this that it's hilarious no matter [i]which[/i] elitist is around.

So lately I've been listening to a lot of Queens of the Stone Age, who I'd say would probably qualify as the best, most diverse and most consistent hard rock band of today. Their latest album is just fun, man, and I recommend everyone gives it a shot. Of course, it's nothing like their previous albums but you know, that's business as usual for QOTSA.[/COLOR][/font][/size]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I have no problem with [B]Slipknot[/B]. They used to be one of my favorite bands growing up. I don't like the songs where he's like crying and throwing up into the microphone and ****, but they have some great stuff, especially on their third album.

My favorite song of theirs would have to be [B]Pulse of the Maggots[/B]. I'm not much for the son'gs message, but it's a cool song nonetheless. [/COLOR]

David Bowie, King Crimson, and Mission of Burma, irrespectively. Not that they're putting out the best [I]material[/I] that's out there today, but in their heydays they put out the best **** ever, and since they're still around, I suppose that makes them the best artists today.

Oh, and I think the Pixies are technically still together-ish, but not for long or something (right or wrong, anyone?). So they're hanging in by a thread there, I guess.

[quote name='DeadSeraphim'][size=1][font=arial][COLOR="Indigo"]

So lately I've been listening to a lot of Queens of the Stone Age, who I'd say would probably qualify as the best, most diverse and most consistent hard rock band of today. Their latest album is just fun, man, and I recommend everyone gives it a shot. Of course, it's nothing like their previous albums but you know, that's business as usual for QOTSA.[/COLOR][/font][/size][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
[SIZE="1"]I planned on writing a pretty long post about how amzing [B]QOTSA[/B] are, but you already beat me to it.

[I]Era Vulgaris[/I] has been in constant rotation on my iTunes. I like it alot (my signature/avatar show so).

I'm excited about being able to go see them August 4th. It is going to be an awesome show. Their live album/DVD [I]Over the Years and Through The Woods [/I]showcases the impeccable live talent Homme and co. deliver. They is teh awesums.

Anyways, in case any of you are curious, remember [B]Deltron 3030[/B]? New album dropping in 2008, I believe[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Billy Shears'][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Anyways, in case any of you are curious, remember [B]Deltron 3030[/B]? New album dropping in 2008, I believe[/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote] Really? That's awesome news, I can't wait. :D:D:D

[color=darkred][size=1]

I'm probably one of four real Hip Hop fans on OBs, so here's my list for rap artists/hip hop artists that I believe are best today.

[b]Lil' Wayne[/b]: aka Weezy F. Baby, the man from New Orleans. His gravel-laced vocals and signature delivery style keep me listening along with his great, often times hilarious, lyrics. A little harsh for some in his mix-tape work, but regardless, he is fantastic and almost always off the top of his head.

[b]Papoose[/b]: Brooklyn's new pride, he may seem ho-hum at first. Then you hear him freestyle and you rethink everything you know about rap music. Capable of switching flows mid song and then readopting once again, his lyrical style can range from long lines with multiple ends to single punch lines in succession. An amazing artist.

[b]Chamillionaire[/b]: aka The Color Changin' Lizard aka King Koopa. Straight outta Houston, TX with some of the most lyrical southern hip hop to date. All of his singles become instant success stories on the charts, but the best thing about Cham is his album work. The stuff you don't hear. Several amazing conceptual songs, great story teller, and amazing lyricist. Also, one of the better voices in Screwed & Chopped music. See [b] "Controversy Sells"[/b] mix-tape with Paul Wall back when they were Color Changin' Click.[/color][/size]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I don't really listen to many of the modern artists. My preferences are classical and and anime soundtracks. And I love older rock 'n roll. But the ones out now that I like are:

Rammstein: I don't know how much people here know about them, but they're a German band (and [STRIKE]a little[/STRIKE] neo-Nazi, but that's beside the point). They usually are pretty original, and it's fun trying to figure out what they are saying. (I am learning German) Their words and puns are very intelligent, just, um not very nice. Of course, after I've looked up the lyrics, I usually wish I could forget them.

Marylin Manson: O.K, now you are probably really looking at me fuuny. Let me explain. I don't really care what his position is on things, his lyrics are [I]horrible[/I], so it's hard for me to take offence at anything he says. But his angry music is a really good way to deal with stress. Or put up with jogging.

Yuki Kajiura: I don't know if she counts, because I don't think she's part of any group, and she only sings back-up. But she is my absolute favourite anime composer (sorry, Yoko Kanno), and perhaps my favourite modern day composer. If you don't kno who she is, she wrote music for Noir, Madlax, many of the .hacks, and and the new Clamp anime (something like Tsubasa Resevoir)

[quote name='Umbra II'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Yuki Kajiura: I don't know if she counts, because I don't think she's part of any group, and she only sings back-up. But she is my absolute favourite anime composer (sorry, Yoko Kanno), and perhaps my favourite modern day composer. If you don't kno who she is, she wrote music for Noir, Madlax, many of the .hacks, and and the new Clamp anime (something like Tsubasa Resevoir)[/font][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]She counts, since she IS a musical artist. She's my favorite anime composer as well, but I've only heard her work on the .hack series. [/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial"][quote name='Umbra II]Rammstein: I don't know how much people here know about them, but they're a German band (and [STRIKE]a little[[/STRIKE'] neo-Nazi, but that's beside the point). [/quote]
Rammstein aren't neo-nazi at all, just because it's aggressive German music [i]you can barely understand[/i] it doesn't immediately peg them as skinheads. I've actually read their quite the opposite, and a lot of their songs are less angry and more social satire. Same goes for Manson, I don't know which songs you're listening to, but unless your definition of 'horrible lyrics' is any song that swears, there's not a lot of horrible in manson's stuff. Most of his early work is social satire that, while crude, doesn't approach real horrible, and even then most of the imagery is metaphor.

So I don't know, I think you're crazy.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Umbra II'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
Rammstein: I don't know how much people here know about them, but they're a German band (and [STRIKE]a little[[/STRIKE] neo-Nazi, but that's beside the point). They usually are pretty original, and it's fun trying to figure out what they are saying. (I am learning German) Their words and puns are very intelligent, just, um not very nice. Of course, after I've looked up the lyrics, I usually wish I could forget them.
[/quote][/font]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]There is nothing remotely Neo Nazi about Rammstein. Their most famous songs and their music videos could be anything but. Moskau is about the city itself, with references to how it's a prostitute in its ways. Mein Teil documents the true story of a man who posted a want ad online for a younger boy for him to eat.

Furthermore, the numerous philosophical and biblical references in their music do not translate well. I'd suggest one actually learn German before attempting to understand lyrics that go over the heads of everyone who listens. Go listen to Nebel, and then ask me if a heartbreaking song about a woman who perishes in the cold and fog of winter is a reflection of Nazi principles.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]2 months ago this would have been damn hilarious. Now that Jake isn't even around anymore, it's just monotonous.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Aw, you guys are always thinking of me aren't you? :D

And I haven't been around because I've been in Europe for the last month.

As for Ogrish Melanol, I only like their old stuff, before their original vocalist/guitarist Drulvurg was killed by his fellow bandmate Grishrith for commenting that cave trolls are way better than mountain trolls in an interview. Now that Drulvurg is dead and Grishrith is in jail, the songwriting has just gone to crap, in my opinion. I mean, they're actually selling records now, so they've obviously sold out. And I heard they just got banned from Rohan for sacrificing a horse onstage. That sucks, because now I'll have to catch them in Gondor, and that is quite the drive from Dol Guldur.

[QUOTE]Originally by Neuvoxraiha: There is nothing remotely Neo Nazi about Rammstein. Their most famous songs and their music videos could be anything but. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Rammstein aren't neo-nazi at all, just because it's aggressive German music you can barely understand it doesn't immediately peg them as skinheads.[/QUOTE]

:animeswea Sorry about that. I always hear the phrase "Neo-Nazi" and "Skin-Head" associated with them, so I just assumed that they were. (But we all know what assuming does.:animesmil)

[QUOTE]Originaly posted by Neuvoxraiha: I'd suggest one actually learn German before attempting to understand lyrics that go over the heads of everyone who listens.[/QUOTE]

Not only am I learning the language, but I've looked up the words from a reliable source. Like I said before, I used the term "Neo-Nazi" because I've always heard them reffered to as such, not because of any misunderstanding of the lyrics. (My personal favourite lyric-wise is Dali Lama, Rammstein's take on Goethe's poem Alterkoenig)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeadSeraphim: I don't know which songs you're listening to, but unless your definition of 'horrible lyrics' is any song that swears, there's not a lot of horrible in manson's stuff. Most of his early work is social satire that, while crude, doesn't approach real horrible, and even then most of the imagery is metaphor.[/QUOTE]

I'm not reffering to his use of vulgar words. I could tolerate that. What I mean is, "All my stiches itch, my perscription's low, I wish you were queen, just for today, in a world so white, what else can I say?"

"They slit our throats like we were flowers, and our milk has been devoured"

"Your sell-by date expired, so you had to be sold"
etc. Perhaps you and I have a difference of opinion on what good lyrics are. That's fine. I just find his lyrics very un-inspired, is all.

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]It's imagery and metaphor. lol Marilyn Manson isn't just a shock rock band throwing out these crude lines for the hell of it, they actually have substance and deeper meaning. It's like, sometimes you have to think about the whole song in the context of a metaphor to even [i]get it[/i]. If you just write it off cause you find them horrible and vulgar on the surface, that's fine, but you're hardly giving them the justice they deserve.

I mean, honestly, how could Great Big White World work as a cocaine metaphor if you removed all the 'horrible' lyrics?[/font][/color][/size]

Blah... There's so many that I like!!! And I don't want to be rude write the same thing as some before me. (And it was way too long to read all of the posts, so forgive me for repetitiveness)

[B][U]TOP 5:[/U][/B]

[B]5) Straylight Run:[/B] They have a very unique sound. Like [I]White Stripes[/I], they have the advantage of both a male and female vocalist. Plus, I really dig the piano in songs like [I]Existentialism on Prom Night.[/I] They have also demonstrated a very dark, rock-like tune, with their EP, [I]Prepare to be Wrong.[/I] That EP actually reminds me a lot of Matchbook Romance, who used to be one of my favorites.

[B]4) Dashboard Confessional:[/B] Love the new album. Love the old stuff. There's very few songs that I actually don't like... And it doesn't hurt that I actually got to meet the band and get their pictures/autographs... So maybe I'm biased just because I've met them, but the violinist (Susan Sherouse) is one of the nicest and HOTTEST people I've ever met... (and that says a lot since we only got to talk for about 10 minutes) Talented voice on the lead, Chris Carrabba, and amazing sounds by the rest of the band.

[B]3) Brand New:[/B] These guys are recent to my list... I also got to meet them. (They were doing a concert with Dashboard back in December, a couple of days before their new album release) And while Dashboard might be biased, Brand New is definately not. I liked a few songs from their old stuff, but when I bought their new CD, [I]The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me[/I], I had it on repeat for weeks! It's amazing. There are certain songs that will never get old, and I still haven't found a bad song on the entire CD; I love them all

[B]2) Circa Survive:[/B] Also new to my list, their recent CD is enough to make me put them above all th rest at numero dos! Most will look at this band and say "Ew," and I can understand why, since it took me quite a while to get used to [I]that[/I] style of music and Anthony Green's ungodly high voice. However, I alwasy liked [I]ACT Appalled[/I] from their first album and when the new CD came out, I thought that I would have to give it a try. [I]On Letting Go[/I] does not dissappoint. I'm glad I got it and now, I love his voice. On letting Go isn't as good as their first CD, but it's definately money-well-spent.

and...

[B]1) Green Day:[/B] Say what you will, it won't bother me... I've been listening to Green Day since I was 7! (Ohmigod, I just realized that I've been listening to them for 10 years!!!) So while, I'll agree that their new stuff on American Idiot, isn't as good as a whole, it's still good music. (And every band goes through musical developments; that's how they stay on top... Deal with it) In fact, while I don't really like a lot of the songs on American Idiot, songs like [I]Letterbomb[/I] and [I]Wake Me Up When September Ends[/I] are some of my favorties next to [I]Good Riddance[/I], [I]Basket Case[/I], and [I]Hitchin' a Ride.[/I]
Plus, I've got to stay loyal; that's just how I am. I even followed them through that embarrassing phase known as the band, "The Netowork." (If you haven't heard of them, it's no surprise. Green Day rufuses to acknowledge that they were ever in the band, but there's no mistaking Armstrong's voice) I'll always be a fan, regardless if they play punk rock or polka. (That doesn't mean I'll like the polka version) It only stands as a statement of how they can succeed no matter what they play...

Other bands include: The Fray, The Academy Is..., Snow Patrol, 30 Seconds to Mars, Jimmy Eat World, All American Rejects, Muse, Taking Back Sunday, Ambulance LTD, Armor for Sleep, Bush, Temposhark, The Bravery, Radiohead, Earshot, Nirvana, Mae, The Foo Fitghters, Motion City Soundtrack, Thrice, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Matchbook Romance, and more...

Also, I left this one out simply because you can't call them the best if they're not well-known: [B]Auto Escape![/B] They're an underground band from Dallas, TX. I found them on Myspace and was in complete awe! I've been trying to find a time for me to get to a concert... I'm still shocked that they haven't hit it big yet, but I know it will happen and I'll be waiting like that stalker down the dark ally...

[font=arial][size=1]I have to agree with you on Circa Survive. I've been a fan of Anthony since he was in Saosin, but I was still blown away by On Letting Go. I seriously believe that's going to be the best album of [i]this decade[/i]. I'm not even kidding. I want to see them live again so I can see the new math rock-inspired guitars in action, and maybe so we can show Anthony around Greensboro some more. He wrote about it on the band's MySpace blog the next day, that was so cool.

And another awesome band nomiation goes to [url=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=3081778]Panthers[/url]. Three members of one of the bands that influenced everything I listen to now (Orchid) formed this band when Orchid split up. They had their own style, but their newest album kind of sounds like QOTSA. Think what you will of that, but these guys are amazing.[/font][/size]