OtakuBoards

Best Music Artist(s) Today?

Guest mewmewninja45

[COLOR=DarkOrange][quote name='Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=Magenta][B]Well the best (modern) bands in all history are probably Slipknot, Underoath, MCR, and Linkin Park based on all that technical crap, but my faves are a lil' different.[/b'][/color][/quote]

...Sarcasm, misunderstanding, try-to-hardiness, genral stupidity... whatever the hell this is, NEVER SAY IT AGAIN!!!!

[quote name='kazuwa nomura']Underoath- Kick butt Christian Screamo.[/quote]

:animedepr that sentence makes thousands of babies cry. Seriously, to me, that is the most offensive thing I have ever read. It's like the first two word are a glorification of the second two which are the two most horrifying things on the planet.

[quote name='Kazz']Coheed and Cambria- Dood, these guys kick butt. The guitarists and bassists are really really awesome...not to mention that Claudio's voice is powerful...in a chick kind of way, which I like.[/quote]

I'n willing to ignore that last remark, but the mention of them just saved your life! lol

[quote=damn you!!!]The Number 12 Looks Like You- The whole band is pretty awesome, they bring the sense of old skool emo back to the music, and I think that's awesome. Allow me to say the word Awesome once more. Awesome.

Haste The Day- These guys are a Christian Screamo band also under Solid State, like Underoath, but these guys have more of a nice...METAL feel. The whole band is wild. Good guitarists, kick butt bassists, onuvmuh fave drummers. [/quote]

If I read the word 'emo' three more times in the 'best music artists' thread, I may just shed a tear myself...

Aaaaaaand - next!

Well, it looks like I've come to the last of my favorite bands for the time being. Once I'm able to buy more CDs I'll post more but for now this hould be last

[B]Tenacious D[/B] - How in the name of hell could you not love the D?! These guys are the most hilarious freaking band to ever exist! They started off just playing live shows before having their own brief [B]HBO [/B] show, then later releasing their first album, [B]Tribute[/B]. The CD is simply coated in classics that you either have heard, or you havne't been on the internet long enough. From [B]Tribute [/B] to [B]Wonderboy[/B], [B]Lee[/B], [B]Karate[/B], [B]Friendship[/B], and the epic [B]City Hall[/B]. the songs are catchy and more than simply memorable.

Last year the band had it's own movie telling it's origin, [B]Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny[/B], a cult classic already. Nothing compares to the fun of inviting friends over and singing all the songs loud over the music. The accompanying album is a soundtrack to the movie which I have mixed feelings about (check my review over on my site, I don't feel like pulling anoter massive quote) though there are some of the best D tracks ever such as [B]Kickapoo[/B], [B]Classico[/B], [B]Master Exploder[/B], [B]Dude I Totally Miss You[/B], and, of course [B]Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown)[/B]

If you want comedy, awesomeness, or just something that boldly proclaims to be [B]'FUELED BY SATAN!'[/B] than the D is for you.[/COLOR]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Magenta][B]I'm...sorry, Didn't mean to offend you,2007DigitalBoy? "Technical crap" is about like...album sales and crap...not literally the best bands soundwise ever but considering how fangroupies who don't know crap about music are buying all this stuff they kind of are the best modern bands based on all that techinal crap. No no...doesn't make sense. . Anywho. To better the list....I just made a list of my fave musicians...since I don't have alot of fave bands but I do have many favorite musicians. There are alot of bands I left out....Grr...

It's nice to know there's another D fan on the OB besides me.

Bestest All-Together band with honorable mention:
Scary Kids Scaring Kids

Anybody in these bands are my favorite musicians:
Fall Out Boy
Avenged Sevenfold
Unearth
Sick Puppies
Tenacious D including live crew and Liam
Haste The Day
Anberlin
Green Day
Damone
Billy Talent
Killswitch Engage
Atreyu
Once Exiled
Last Hour
The Number 12 Looks Like You

Favorite Drummers:
#1 Nathan "Joey" Jordison- Slipknot
Derek Bloom- From First To Last
Ryan Loerke- Stutterfly
Matt Pelissier-(Former)My Chemical Romance
Brent Masters-(Former)The Agony Scene
Aaron Gillespie- Underoath
Dave Grohl- Tenacious D, Scream, Nirvana

Favorite Guitarists:
Micah Carli- Hawthorne Heights
Jonathan Donais- Shadows Fall
Ray Toro- My Chemical Romance
Dave Grohl- Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Scream, Queens of the Stone Age, Probot
Chad Crawford- Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Steve Kirby- Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Travis Stever- Coheed and Cambria

Favorite Bassists:
DJ Wilson- Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Michael Todd- Coheed and Cambria
Hunter Burgen- A Fire Inside
Matt Rubano- Taking Back Sunday
Kevin Call- Comeback Kid

Favorite Synthesizers and DJs:
Chris Dudley- Underoath
Pouyan Afkary- Scary Kids Scaring Kids
#0 Sid Wilson- Slipknot
#5 Craig "133" Jones- Slipknot
Joseph Hahn- Linkin Park

Favorite Singers:
Davey Havok- A Fire Inside
Cody Bonnette- As Cities Burn
Matt Good- From First To Last
Sonny Moore-(Former) From First To Last
Chris Owens- Chiodos
#8 Corey Taylor- Slipknot
Tyson Stevens- Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Lacey Mosley- Flyleaf

Favorite Screamers:
Casey Calvert- Hawthorne Heights
Spencer Chamberlain- Underoath
Tyson Stevens - Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Travis Richter- From First To Last

Favorite Emcee in a band:
#8 Corey Taylor- Slipknot
Mike Shinoda- Linkin Park

Best Band at playing Air Instruments:
Scary Kids Scaring Kids

Best Band at Scaring people:
Slipknot

Coolest/nicest bands:
Fall Out Boy
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
The Used
Anberlin
Killswitch Engage
Underoath[/B][/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]2007DigitalBoy, try to avoid bashing genres you don't understand, not like Nomura really knows what he's talking about when he mentions "emo" either.

Also, completely dismissing groups made of poor college musicians expressing themselves in a unique way, while glorifying a band that has a movie based off of them? That's just wroooong.[/font][/size]

[COLOR=Gray]Favourite Artists:

[b]William Shatner[/b]: I love Bill's work, and I'm not kidding. He's the ultimate celeb; he's past his prime and the butt of every joke in the book, and he's in on every one of them. The result? Two of the most purely entertaining music albums ever made - the Transformed Man and Has Been. The epitome of Shatner's is his cover of Common People, a great song made all the more hilarious because of the song's subject matter and the fact that it's being sung by William freakin' Shatner!

[b]Jethro Tull[/b]: Great prog-rock band that's been around for-freakin'-ever and has been producing great music the whole way. Ian Anderson's quirky, enjoyable vocals combined with his masterful flute work are wonderful, but the whole spirit of the band is just plain awesome. Their parody of concept-albums, Thick as a Brick, is off-the-hook good, both technically amazing and easy on the ear. Furthermore, I love the folky, archiac feel on Minstrel in the Gallery, especially Cold Wind to Valhalla.

[b]Stan Rogers[/b]: Amazing folk artist. His voice is the perfect hearty baritone that goes well with his sea-shanty style of songwriting, and he paints as perfect a picture of Canada as you're going to find. If you ever wanna be brought to tears, find a copy of The Northwest Passage or White Squall; the man was a genius. Died a hero in 1983, too... Died of smoke inhilation trying to get people off a smoldering plane. Stan Rogers!

[b]Frank Zappa[/b]: The Zapper was one of the most incredible non-mainstream artists of all time. His lyrics were outright hilarious at times, his guitar riffs simply gut-rendingly awesome, his whole mystique just plain enjoyable. Joe's Garage and Apostrophe' are two of the best albums I've ever downloaded, and Broken Hearts are for ******** is one of my favourite songs ever.

Well, there's a lot more then that, but for now I'll just leave it at those.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]2007DigitalBoy, try to avoid bashing genres you don't understand, not like Nomura really knows what he's talking about when he mentions "emo" either.

Also, completely dismissing groups made of poor college musicians expressing themselves in a unique way, while glorifying a band that has a movie based off of them? That's just wroooong.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Tenacious D[/B] are GODS among men! Emo is a festering **** hole dug using the shovel-like hairflips of the squealy-voiced crotch-crushed face-painters. I'd sooner die than admit to liking an emo band.

... And [B]AFI [/B] isn't emo, so :p XD

Anywho, aside from [B]Coheed And Cambria [/B] and the D, [B]Nom [/B] has a terrible taste in music and should either go listen to something worthwhile or be forced to perform 'emo-decapitation' (a ritual in which I make the emo-kid cry through his eye-liner as i cut off hair hairflip)

Anywho, I would also like to add the following honorable mentions - bands I really like but haven't heard enough of to feel i can judge them: [B]Bad Religion[/B], [B]Mindless Self Indulgence[/B], [B]ENSIFERUM[/B]!, [B]Shabutie[/B],[B] Pink Floyd[/B], and [B]Unearth[/B].

Now for some bands that i've heard a ton of and like, but not as much as previously mentioned bands:[B] System of a Down [/B] (they actually should prolly get an article), [B]AFI[/B], [B]GWAR[/B], [B]Red Sparrowes[/B], [B]Disturbed [/B] (as time passes I like them less and less), [B]Linkin Park [/B] (new album ruined them in my eyes, lol).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#DAA520][QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Tenacious D[/B] are GODS among men! Emo is a festering shithole dug using the shovel-like hairflips of the squealy-voiced crotch-crushed face-painters. I'd sooner die than admit to liking an emo band.

... And [B]AFI [/B] isn't emo, so :p XD[/COLOR][/QUOTE]And I'm sure you could have told us you don't like emo without sounding like an *** in the process DB. :rolleyes: There's no need to be so abrasive since 'Best Music Artists' is subjective and an[I] opinion[/I] only. And another thing, [B]don't run words together to get around the swear filter[/B].

And following that line of thought, subjective opinion, mine that is...Though not new in the world of music, one of the best in my experience is Enya, having just become familiar with the album Watermark. With my favorite song in it being Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) I like the new age and Celtic themes and instrumentation. I also like how it has a ballad sound with the piano and vocal harmonies and symphonic synthesizer movements. I'm definitely going to go and get some more albums by this artist.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=SunfallE][COLOR=#DAA520]And I'm sure you could have told us you don't like emo without sounding like an *** in the process DB. :rolleyes: There's no need to be so abrasive since 'Best Music Artists' is subjective and an[I] opinion[/I] only. And another thing, [B]don't run words together to get around the swear filter[/B].

And following that line of thought, subjective opinion, mine that is...Though not new in the world of music, one of the best in my experience is Enya, having just become familiar with the album Watermark. With my favorite song in it being Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) I like the new age and Celtic themes and instrumentation. I also like how it has a ballad sound with the piano and vocal harmonies and symphonic synthesizer movements. I'm definitely going to go and get some more albums by this artist.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]:O sorry, i didn't realize it wouldn't pick up on it in that one. My apologies. However, it was kinda obcious that I was talking about it that way on purpose. I know it's subject to opinion, and I'm only kidding, as shown by the thingy. It is true that I despise most emo, but it's not to say that I could never get into it. As i said, i like [B]AFI[/B], and they were among the forerunners of the emo invasion just a coupla years ago. i can even tolerate certain [B]My Chem [/B] songs (I always liked [B]'the ghost of you'[/B], no reason why.) I just generally like to hate on emo, namely because of the culture that encompasses it.

***? Yes. But still just fooling around.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1]Have you heard Batman beatbox? ************'s got [i]skills[/i]. Team him with Spider-Man on lyrics, and Spider-Bat is an unstoppable hip hop combination.

Also, apart from Golden Age, Marilyn Manson is consistently amazing. He's like Bowie, reinventing himself every album, and doing it well.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]It is true that I despise most emo, but it's not to say that I could never get into it. As i said, i like [B]AFI[/B], and they were among the forerunners of the emo invasion just a coupla years ago. i can even tolerate certain [B]My Chem [/B] songs (I always liked [B]'the ghost of you'[/B'], no reason why.) I just generally like to hate on emo, namely because of the culture that encompasses it.[/COLOR][/quote]
[font=arial][size=1]Haha, I was laughing until I read down to this. It's clear to me that you have absolutely no idea what emo is. AFI was a punk band until they ruined their sound by becoming something of an alternative rock band with black metal vocals thrown in to cash on the Cradle of Filth obsession that everyone got into several years too late. MCR was never even related to Emo, ever.

Allow me to Jake-off for a minute. :)

Emo/screamo/emocore/whatever is all synonymous. The purest form of the genre died along with Moss Icon in the early 90's. This pure form of emo was strongly related to hardcore punk (such as Minor Threat, Black Flag, and Bad Brains). What separated emo from hardcore was that it actually changed rhythms up and added elements like spoken word and sent messages that were about more than angry subjects. Then, a reviewer dug up the dead Emo term to describe bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate, The Get-Up Kids, Dashboard Confessional, etc. just because they had emotional lyrics, regardless of the actual style of the music. It basically just regressed from there.

Meanwhile, there is still a underground Emo movement, which has nothing to do with what you think the genre is. The suicidal, make-up wearing, tight-pants kids are not "emo" in this sense of the term, and are following the same image that these bands who stole the genre portray.

Go look up the band, Pageninetynine. Funeral Diner, Phoenix Bodies, and Majority Rule are also good examples of modern emo. If you don't like it, that's cool. But on the real, don't insult me by bringing up AFI and MCR in reference/defense of my music tastes.

:)[/font][/size]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]AFI was a punk band until they ruined their sound by becoming something of an alternative rock band with black metal vocals thrown in to cash on the Cradle of Filth obsession that everyone got into several years too late.
:)[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

Oooh, oooh, my turn!

Mentioning Cradle of Filth in relation to black metal is no better calling AFI or My Chemical Romance emo. Cradle of Filth has nothing whatsoever to do with black metal. And not all harsh vocals are "black metal vocals". AFI threw some screams in there - plenty of bands do that. I hardly think it had anything to do with Cradle of Fail.

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]Haha, I was laughing until I read down to this. It's clear to me that you have absolutely no idea what emo is. AFI was a punk band until they ruined their sound by becoming something of an alternative rock band with black metal vocals thrown in to cash on the Cradle of Filth obsession that everyone got into several years too late. MCR was never even related to Emo, ever.

Allow me to Jake-off for a minute. :)

Emo/screamo/emocore/whatever is all synonymous. The purest form of the genre died along with Moss Icon in the early 90's. This pure form of emo was strongly related to hardcore punk (such as Minor Threat, Black Flag, and Bad Brains). What separated emo from hardcore was that it actually changed rhythms up and added elements like spoken word and sent messages that were about more than angry subjects. Then, a reviewer dug up the dead Emo term to describe bands such as Sunny Day Real Estate, The Get-Up Kids, Dashboard Confessional, etc. just because they had emotional lyrics, regardless of the actual style of the music. It basically just regressed from there.

Meanwhile, there is still a underground Emo movement, which has nothing to do with what you think the genre is. The suicidal, make-up wearing, tight-pants kids are not "emo" in this sense of the term, and are following the same image that these bands who stole the genre portray.

Go look up the band, Pageninetynine. Funeral Diner, Phoenix Bodies, and Majority Rule are also good examples of modern emo. If you don't like it, that's cool. But on the real, don't insult me by bringing up AFI and MCR in reference/defense of my music tastes.

:)[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Well, seeing as we're both obviously very much a couple of elitists, there is no way around calling this a battle between two people who don't understand each other's music. You see, the most widely accepted use of emo is on bands such as My Chem, the Used, and their kin.

Wether this term is correct is one of my business - in fact, i'm of the belief that if the word 'emo' is most commonly used to describe those bands, and in a way has been officialized toward them, then that's how they should be concerned. It's no different than how 'gay' became synonymous with homosexuality - it just did. When you think about how most of the people who [i]listen[/i] to those bands call it emo, it starts to take on that meaning.

It's not right, but that's how i'm looking at it. After all, as Jake explained, you obviously don't understand black metal in the slightest.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]Well, seeing as we're both obviously very much a couple of elitists, there is no way around calling this a battle between two people who don't understand each other's music. You see, the most widely accepted use of emo is on bands such as My Chem, the Used, and their kin.

Wether this term is correct is one of my business - in fact, i'm of the belief that if the word 'emo' is most commonly used to describe those bands, and in a way has been officialized toward them, then that's how they should be concerned. It's no different than how 'gay' became synonymous with homosexuality - it just did. When you think about how most of the people who [i]listen[/i] to those bands call it emo, it starts to take on that meaning.

It's not right, but that's how i'm looking at it. After all, as Jake explained, you obviously don't understand black metal in the slightest.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yes, but in rebuttal to your comments, look at bands like Slipknot, Korn, Ill Nino, etc. They're called 'metal' bands by plenty of people, but that doesn't mean they [I]are[/I] metal. As you know, Slipknot and their ilk are nowhere NEAR being metal bands, but the MTV community defines them as such. My Chemical Romance isn't an emo band, just as Korn isn't metal.

And I wasn't saying he doesn't understand black metal, as I know nothing about his views on it. I was just saying that he misunderstood one aspect of it, that being that he mistook Cradle of Filth for being black metal.

[font=arial][size=1]Thanks, Jake. I was going to apologize for not really knowing anything about metal (seeing as the only style of metal I really like is Sludge), but you pretty much got the idea. All I was trying to demonstrate was that AFI was basically changing their sound (which I thought was really good) into something that at least sounds like whatever their target audience is currently into, which are bands like Green Day, MCR, and Cradle.

Thanks again, Jake, for putting it in better words than I could have. I'm upset that you, DB, hold this point of view so strongly when you also say that the genre doesn't matter to you basically. Obviously, no amount of common sense will fix this (and I believe I tried in the past and you were a prick then, too). The point is, there is no art that can be defined as "bad," there's something out there for everyone. And if being an elitist means that I go out of my way to look for bands that I like that don't get MTV or radio play, deeply care about the music I like, and will continue to like it no matter what some little **** on the internet thinks, then yes, I'm an elitist.[/font][/size]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]Thanks, Jake. I was going to apologize for not really knowing anything about metal (seeing as the only style of metal I really like is Sludge), but you pretty much got the idea. All I was trying to demonstrate was that AFI was basically changing their sound (which I thought was really good) into something that at least sounds like whatever their target audience is currently into, which are bands like Green Day, MCR, and Cradle.

Thanks again, Jake, for putting it in better words than I could have. I'm upset that you, DB, hold this point of view so strongly when you also say that the genre doesn't matter to you basically. Obviously, no amount of common sense will fix this (and I believe I tried in the past and you were a prick then, too). The point is, there is no art that can be defined as "bad," there's something out there for everyone. And if being an elitist means that I go out of my way to look for bands that I like that don't get MTV or radio play, deeply care about the music I like, and will continue to like it no matter what some little **** on the internet thinks, then yes, I'm an elitist.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]nonono, 'elitist' refers to someone who is a fan of something and refuses to hear misconceptions about it. For instance, if someone told you that you didn't watch enough anime classics, if someone did what i did in that 'taste in manga' thread, or if someone's being overly picjy about genres titles, lol. you, me, and Jake could all easily be considered elitists.

Now, while i am a natural leitist, I also recognize how useless it is to be one - you aren't going to chnge popular opinion, and everything you say comes off as condesceding (which is actually why I wrote such a pissy reply in the first place.)

I don't want to derail this thread, too though, so I'm shutting up. Also, I'm adding Bad Acid Trip to one of those minor lists.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Yeah, not saying that I really know what emo is since Kev here is the expert, because emo has been around for quite a while. I don't really mind not knowing exactly what it is, but I know that there are some really good screamo bands (...well if that's what they're called) like Underoath, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Beneath the Sky and then there's alot of bands that have more of a...(semi screamo...semi not?) feel to them... like Scary Kids Scaring Kids and As Cities Burn, that in my mind may be some of the best bands ever. I also like stuff like Opeth, Cradle, Atreyu, and some indie stuff like Billy Talent and rifftastic stuff like Tenacious D. Now I obviously don't know anything about what genre these things are from, but at least I look outside of the genres and give other stuff a try.

DB, you my friend need to stop bashing and be more open minded.

EDIT: I suppose your ways are forgiven though lol [/B] [/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have many artists in mind, both ends.

Canada: Bryan Adams
US: Linkin Park & Black Eyed Peas
Sweden: Roxette & Abba
UK: The Beatles, U2, & Spice Girls
Japan: Utada Hikaru & Hamasaki Ayumi
Ireland: Boyzone & Westlife
China, Taiwan, Hong Kong: F4

These were some of the best bands and artists I have mentioned...[/FONT] :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=miss april][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have many artists in mind, both ends.

Canada: Bryan Adams
US: Linkin Park & Black Eyed Peas
Sweden: Roxette & Abba
UK: The Beatles, U2, & Spice Girls
Japan: Utada Hikaru & Hamasaki Ayumi
Ireland: Boyzone & Westlife
China, Taiwan, Hong Kong: F4

These were some of the best bands and artists I have mentioned...[/FONT] :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Ye hath ensighted the ressurection!!!!!

[B]Mindless Self Indulgence[/B] - this is one of the easiest bands out there to become a fan of because they have a vast plethora of songs and almost all of them can be found on the internet! Anyway, this band is completely insane and cool and offensive in every way.

First of all, if you're the kind of person who gets offended by anything, this is not for you. The words nigga, ******, bitches, all are used superfluosly in their lyrics and they have tons of songs about or in regard to sex. The lyrics are also very direct and usually pretty hilarious (cept on their newer albums where they seem more angry) The lead singer is a freaking madman - his voice is all over the spectrum and sometimes he sounds like he might be having an orgasm while he's singing. It's amazing, actually.

The music they produce is somewhere between punk and rap with a healthy dose of electronica thrown into the mix. Unlike too many damn songs out there, their songs really break the typical song formula a lot and feature maniacal timing and great execution, often with lightning-fast tempo changes. Very few of their songs break 3 minutes, and on their older albums most are shorter than 2. Naturally this lends them an increadible variety of styles and songs that can get you addicted.

The songs are often catchy (which makes you walk around wondering 'why do I keep saying stupid mother ****er in my head?!') and addictive to the point that I can listen to them all day.

[B]Necessary Listens [/B] (not necessary videos )([B]VERY EXPLICIT LYRICS[/B]):
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=TLMnrT5AY9c][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]1985 (Naruto AMV)[/COLOR][/B][/url]
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=hujey2QPmx0&mode=related&search=][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Stupid MF (Naruto AMV)[/COLOR][/B][/url]
[b][url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=qIYhbRiuVK0][color=darkorange]Shut Me Up (Music Video)[/color][/url][/b]
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=hgKmk7jvXSs][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Capitol P (American Dad Fanmade)[/COLOR][/B][/url]
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=oSICioxSTus][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Tight (FLCL AMV)[/COLOR][/B][/url]
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=5imV4UT9e3w][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]What Do They Know? (Samurai champloo AMV, trails off for 2 minutes after song)[/COLOR][/B][/url]
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=5h7-ZV-DFEk][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]London Bridge (Naruto AMV)[/COLOR][/B][/url]
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=899MGCOOQVI][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Wack (Naruto AMV)[/COLOR][/B][/url]
[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=ub66oBciDok&mode=related&search=][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Tornado (legendary Naruto AMV)[/COLOR][/B][/url][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=#DAA520']Though not new in the world of music, one of the best in my experience is Enya, having just become familiar with the album Watermark. With my favorite song in it being Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) I like the new age and Celtic themes and instrumentation. I also like how it has a ballad sound with the piano and vocal harmonies and symphonic synthesizer movements. I'm definitely going to go and get some more albums by this artist.[/COLOR][/quote]

[color=olive]I hear ya. I have Sail Away on my iPod - it is my favourite Enya track. I've always liked it.

My tastes are incredibly varied so I wouldn't even know where to start. Most recently I've been getting back into Rage Against the Machine a little. I've been playing Renegades of Funk quite a bit lately - 'tis rather good.

On the completely other side of the coin, I've also been playing a pop song called Stay by Australian group Emaar. They're a very small dance/pop outfit and although this song is completely mainstream fare, it's rather catchy (I quite like the guitar build-up toward the beginning, which is fairly inoffensive but rather unique nonetheless).

I have also been listening to a bit of Moloko lately (the band which [b]stole[/b] the word I was going to use for...something!) Anyhoo, they only have the one album as far as I know (Catalogue) but I've found myself getting into some tracks that I never used to like. The Time is Now and Indigo come to mind.

Oh, I also recently (finally) bought Leftfield's Rhythm & Stealth. Beautiful album. I'm loving Dusted and Afrika Shox (the latter of which I bought on single a very long time ago...but I'd been very late buying this album, which is one of their earlier ones).

Also, I've been quite enjoying Eat Me, Drink Me by Marilyn Manson. Not sure if I like it as much as some of the older albums, but I [i]love[/i] Putting Holes in Happiness. It may very well be my new Dope Show.[/color]

[color=darkred]I've been well into Machine Head recently. I bought their newest album, The Blackening, the day it came out and have found myself listening to it several times a day. Although I think that every track on the record is perfect (apart from Wolves, which just oozes Slayer... but in a good way), my favourite song is Halo just for the fact that it contains this short, amazingly beautiful harmonized guitar solo between Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel. Aesthetics of Hate does a similar thing too, but Halo's is much better. Some of their older tracks such as Old and Davidian from Burn My Eyes are quickly becoming favourites too (Old has a groovy riff dudes, check it out).

Megadeth also released their latest studio effort a few weeks ago, United Abominations. I've heard each song once, and even though the album doesn't appeal to me much, it's got me right back into Rust In Peace because it delves on that formula so much. That being said, Sleepwalker is pretty killer.

Nothing else has piqued my interest, but I'm definitely wanting to get into Manson's Eat Me, Drink Me. I've heard good things.[/color]

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess"']AFI was a punk band until they ruined their sound by becoming something of an alternative rock band with black metal vocals thrown in to cash on the Cradle of Filth obsession that everyone got into several years too late.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial]Cradle of Filth...? As far as I know, Dani Filth is well known for his mix of low-growls and high-pitched squeals. I haven't really listened to anything by them myself, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing like AFI at all. And trust me, I know what AFI sounds like. :P

As for whether or not they're emo, I don't have much input. I know I'm not an expert on any genre at all, but I really don't consider them emo at all. "Miss Murder" is a terrible representation of their sound and lyrics as a whole.

Oh yeah, there are a couple reasons why AFI have changed their sound. The biggest one is that they like to reinvent themselves with each new release; they said they'd get board if they just wrote the same sounding stuff over and over again. I don't understand how people can relate their current album to bands like MCR or Green Day (maybe because I don't listen to those bands).

The other reason is that the singer, Davey, developed nodes on his vocal cords before the release of Sing the Sorrow and he had to get surgery. Now, in order to protect his vocal cords from further damage, he has to sing and scream in a completely different way. They still play their older songs live, but he can't do the punk style screaming anymore.[/FONT]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Mindless Self Indulgence[/color'][/B][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]
Very yes! This band is seriously a lot of fun. My favorites by them are Shut Me Up, Planet of the Apes, I Hate Jimmy Page, and Straight to Video. I only own a few of their songs, but I haven't heard any I didn't like.

And speaking of which, it sounds like Jimmy might've gotten some kind of vocal inspiration from the Exorcist 2 music. Jeeez.

Oh yeah, there's a new group I'm very very fond of: [U][URL=http://myspace.com/blaqkaudio]Blaqk Audio[/URL][/U]. And it's not just because it consists of AFI's Davey Havok and Jade Puget. That may have something to do with it, but I truly love the songs they've released so far. Blaqk Audio is completely electronic--no guitars whatsoever--and has been likened to Depeche Mode and Joy Division. Their album is coming out August 7th, and it makes me crazy with excitement.
[FONT=Arial]
Argh, I keep forgetting stuff:[/FONT]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']As you know, Slipknot and their ilk are nowhere NEAR being metal bands, but the MTV community defines them as such. My Chemical Romance isn't an emo band, just as Korn isn't metal.[/quote]

[FONT=Arial]I was watching VH1's Forty Most Metal Songs, and Slipknot and KoRn somehow made it to the list. Now, I like KoRn, but it really pissed me off that both of them made the list. As opposed to someone like Danzig or something. (Which may or may not be metal either, but hell!)[/FONT]

[/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR="Navy"]Well, I have started to becme desensitized to[B] A7X[/B]. For 1 big reason... I love [B]Breaking Benjamin![/B] Can't explain thr obsession, I blame my first concert ever. The first concert I went to featured [B]Shelflyfe [/B]and [B]Breaking Benjamin[/B]. [B]Shelflyfe [/B]is from [B]Rochester NY[/B], so not many have heard of them outside of NY, I think anyways!

[B]Bullet for my Valentine[/B] is another good band, I bought their CD recently. And I must say, they are da bomb!

Now I haven't heard much of [B]Cradle of Filth[/B], but they're good. Yet it's hard to find anything from them around here, go figure! [/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]Well, I have started to becme desensitized to[B] A7X[/B]. For 1 big reason... I love [B]Breaking Benjamin![/B] Can't explain thr obsession, I blame my first concert ever. The first concert I went to featured [B]Shelflyfe [/B]and [B]Breaking Benjamin[/B]. [B]Shelflyfe [/B]is from [B]Rochester NY[/B], so not many have heard of them outside of NY, I think anyways!

[B]Bullet for my Valentine[/B] is another good band, I bought their CD recently. And I must say, they are da bomb!

Now I haven't heard much of [B]Cradle of Filth[/B], but they're good. Yet it's hard to find anything from them around here, go figure! [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I think that first concert has a lot to do with it. I have a friend who's a complete idiot when it comes to music and he pretty much hates every bit of music there is. It's funny cuz he listens to it constantly, but he will only listen to like 1 song by a band and he doesn't know that many. The only band he's always liked all the music of is [B]Rammstein[/B]... that ws until him, I, and a few of his goth friends went to see [B]Static X[/B] in concert. He immediately became obsessed with Static X and basically declared them his new favorite band, even though he's only really listened to their newest album :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you like [B]bullet for my valentine [/B]and [B]A7X [/B]you're basically entirely inclined to like [B]Trivium[/B]. The three of them seem to share a lot of the same fans, and they are all a little similar, though personally for me I love [B]City of Evil [/B]and hate anythiing else that any of the three bands have ever done.

Also, in the case of CoF, i haven't heard much, but I can't stand [B]Dani Filth [/B]in the slightest, nor his crappy vocals. The few songs I have heard sucked except their cover of [B]Hallowed Be Thy Name [/B]which is among my faves...[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Also, in the case of CoF, i haven't heard much, but I can't stand [B]Dani Filth [/B]in the slightest, nor his crappy vocals. The few songs I have heard sucked except their cover of [B]Hallowed Be Thy Name [/B]which is among my faves...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I think I have a new favorite for you. Have you heard about this great band... Lothlorian's Ogrish Melanol? It's headed up by real live trolls, so you know it's the real deal. Someone's been working on English translations of their songs for years, but since there's no Troll Rosetta Stone it's not going so well. Their true fans call them by their Troll name, but I dare not write it here.

But guess what? They hate Slipknot too. There's a whole song about it. They've managed to translate that one since there's not a troll word for Slipknot. They just say it in English. Ogres and Leprechuans do the back up. It's one of DJ Rumpelstiltskin's final productions... right before he got eaten by that dragon.

[quote name='Semjaza']I think I have a new favorite for you. Have you heard about this great band... Lothlorian's Ogrish Melanol? It's headed up by real live trolls, so you know it's the real deal. Someone's been working on English translations of their songs for years, but since there's no Troll Rosetta Stone it's not going so well. Their true fans call them by their Troll name, but I dare not write it here.

But guess what? They hate Slipknot too. There's a whole song about it. They've managed to translate that one since there's not a troll word for Slipknot. They just say it in English. Ogres and Leprechuans do the back up. It's one of DJ Rumpelstiltskin's final productions... right before he got eaten by that dragon.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]2 months ago this would have been damn hilarious. Now that Jake isn't even around anymore, it's just monotonous.[/COLOR]