OtakuBoards

Anyone Still Like Board Games?

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Once upon a time, before a red, yellow, and white hole were on every TV and controller was as commonly associated with your PS2 as it was with your cable box, there was a form of game that many found entertaining known simply as a 'board game'. Most likely because most of them used a game board as their basis.

From the classics like [B]Monopoly [/B] (now in 40,000 versions) and [B]Life[/B], to the slightly less popular ones like [B]Sorry [/B] and [B]Trouble[/B], down to the closest you'll get to playing a turn-based strategy RPG, [B]Risk[/B]. Even though their digital counterparts have put a stranglehold on our entertainment, everyone has memories of their family sitting all together enjoying (and pretending to be bored of) a game of this kind.

So, what board games can you stomach? Are there any you actually like? Personally, I have a very deep-seated hatred for most of these games... Monopoly... Life... but at the same time, I can always remember the warmth of sitting around a [B]Clue [/B] board and everyone's simultaneous 'AGG!' as someone guesses the Confidential cards, or a game of Sorry with everyone going 'no! no!' and getting into it as you reel in your last little blue friend.

No one can say that they've never had fun with a board game, so let's hear your stories.[/COLOR]

I enjoy board games quite much, the only downside in them is that you can only play them with a companion (and many board games even require a minimum of three players). I've had to learn many different types of board games because of my line of work with children and youth, and I dare say that I'm quite good at many of them as well. ;D

Currently I have here in my student appartment [B]Trivial Pursuit[/B] DVD-edition, [B]Carcassone[/B] with all of it's expansions and [B]Lord of the Rings[/B] board game. I have a few more, older board games at my granny's, including [B]13 Dead End Drive[/B] (one of the sources of inspiration for my Otaku Idol 2 event, the Labyrinth), which still is my dearest board game.

As for memories related to the games, I have to say that I always hated the sore losers who'd get pissed off if they lost and then threw the whole board and all the pawns and possible cards to the floor and marched out of the room, leaving the others to clean up after them. >:/ Unfortunately I had to grew up with many of that ilk.

[FONT=Arial]I don't have a big enough attention span to play most board games. The only one I really love is [B]Clue[/B], and that's partly because of how much I love the movie based on it. Pretty much the only fond memory I have of playing it is when two of my friends were at my house after having a fun outing with them. After we watched the movie, I whipped out the board game and we sped through it. One of my friends, who is very interested in logic and that sort of thing, guessed the right answer fairly quickly.

I would love to have a lot of friends over on a dark and stormy night that knocks the power out. Perfect Clue atmosphere.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]I've actually finished a few games of [B]Monopoly[/B]. It is - hands down - my favorite board game ever. My only really "interesting" story is the one in which my best friend and I were playing it well into the wee hours of the night. We kept landing on Community Chest and would obviously laugh, pissing off her parents, who - multiple times - had to come downstairs and tell us to be quiet. I also had hotels on Park Place and Boardwalk, although she lost the game because of my 2 hotels on Mediterranean Avenue. =][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=crimson][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers_of_Catan]Settlers of Catan[/url] is where it's at. I've played several games IRL and have found a neat java version of it that I play when there's no one IRL nerdy enough to play with me. I really enjoy the game although it is heavily influenced by the luck of dice rolls. I recommend people try it out, it's simple to understand and a great lot of fun.[/color]

[SIZE=1]What is this 'board' game you speak of? Sounds interesting. Do you use furnished wood for this, or do you rape a tree for it? Exciting!

Anyway. I loved board games when I was younger. Sorry!, Candy Land, Monopoly, Clue, Scrabble, Pictionary, and Jumanji(yes from the movie. I still love all of these. I don't play them much anymore, but thats just lack of time. When I do get to play its always fun.

Hm, does Twister count? Because I love Twister too; I'm really flexible so this is always awesome! Unless you have someone's butt in your face, and they 'accidentally' let out a deadly one. That can be ugly.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Though I don't really play them all that often, I do love a good board game. Read [i]good[/i] as [i]Monopoly[/i], [i]Risk[/i] and other such games. Basically, any game where the goal is to achieve total and absolute domination over the other players over a period of several hours is good in my book.

One of my fondest memories on the Monopoly side was from a game where I was so confident in my uncontestable victory that I started to bend the rules a tad and allowed [well, more like forced, hehe] another player to get into debt, just so that I could humiliate her even more by watching her rack it up as she landed on my hotels every other turn. About half an hour later, I got bored and finally let her lose. Such a gentleman, eh? : P

[i]Monopoly[/i] and [i]Risk[/i]. Best board games [i][b]ever[/b][/i].
[/size]

[QUOTE=Dodeca][size=1]
[i]Monopoly[/i] and [i]Risk[/i]. Best board games [i][b]ever[/b][/i].
[/size][/QUOTE]
I declare this thread over. ;)

A lot of games are still diverting--Stratego, Battleship--but only Risk and Monopoly can stay interesting for such a long time. They're different from the games I might take out once in a while for nostalgia (e.g. Enchanted Forest).

~Dagger~

I don't play board games these days. If I could, I would, but everyone is either too busy or too tired to play any board games. My brother tells me he's going to challenge me to a game of chess or checkers, but we never get around to it.

Thanksgiving use to be board games galore though because my family would meet over at my grandmothers' house and my cousin would bring alot of games to play, ranging from Jenga all the down to Clue. Clue and Monopoly are some of my favorites though.

I love playing board games! It's nice to unplug once in a while and play a good old fashioned board game with friends. I totally rock at Pictionary but find playing against my hubby and brother unfair since they are both very talented artists (college degrees and all that jazz) that can draw really well, really quickly. I make up for my lack of drawing skills with superb guessing skills. Oval + 3 short lines = daschund. Yeah, I totally rock that game.

Clue, Monopoly, Risk, Trivial Pursuit (80's edition is super hard!) Checkers, Chess... they are all just fun to play! Someone mentioned Scrabble, I haven't played that game in ages! I should dig through my closet and see if I still have that game somewhere. I really want to play it now. Ah, so many board games so many wonderful memories of spending time with friends and family. Memories like fighting with my brother over Monopoly "rules" and the ethics of whoever is the banker. :animeangr

[b]Othello[/b] is my board game of choice. I think you crazy American types call it [b]Reversi[/b] - it's the one where you trap your opponent's tiles between two of yours and flip them over to your colour. I used to be quite good at it. You don't have to think quite as many moves ahead as you do in chess. But I haven't played for ages and recently my new MacBook has been beating me at it repeatedly. I'm trying to get good again but I need a human opponent!

[quote name='Raiyuu]I think you crazy American types call it [b]Reversi[/b']....[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Nope. I in fact have Othello sitting in my cabinet at home. Good game, too. (Come to think of it, Othello would be an excellent Chess trainer for me. I'm horrible at it.)

I love board games that make you think. Clue, Risk, [B]Axis and Allies[/B] (which no one has mentioned so far), Sorry, Stratego, etc. I also like Battleship, but there's less thought involved in that one since one can win by reducing their firing pattern to a simple grid system of elimination.

To date, I have never beat my father at Monopoly. Actually, I don't think anyone has....[/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue]I love board games.
I have many at home, oh the times I used to have.
My favorite games range from CLUE, MONOPOLY, 13 DEAD END DRIVE, and FIREBALL ISLAND.

We have an advanced version of CLUE from the '80s, called "CLUE: MASTER DETECTIVE". It has more rooms, more weapons, and more suspects, which added to even longer gameplay.

I recently purchased some new board games like "NEXSUS OPS", a sci-fi game where rival mercanaries hired by coperations on Earth fight for control over a moon.
The second is "RISK 2210 A.D." It's Risk in the FUTURE! It's pretty cool, you can even make your own cards, too.

Finally, theirs "ZOMBIES!!!". This game is played with tiles, so it's never the same game twice. In it, you have to fight off zombies, and escape a town infested with the undead.
There are add-ons too. There's one that adds a mall, one at a military base, and even one in the woods, searching for the pages of a cursed book that will stop the dead from coming to life. "Groovy." (Grabs Chainsaw, and shotgun.)

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Cranium.

And yes I'm a sell out.
But the way they integrated four different board games is just.....fun.
Other board games are ........
...Sequence?
Or would that be a Card game?
I also use to play pinochio, yes.... Pinochio
(sp?) The wooden doll with the nose...
Anyways, you pretty much moved your 'Pinochio' through the storyline on the board.

Tip the waiter
I hated monopoly.
...I cant think of any others that I've played.[/SIZE]

Truthfully, I never really liked them to begin with. Other than a few exceptions like Scrabble , Rummikub and Uno. Except Uno is a card game and not a board game. And that's where the trouble really lies as I like card games a bit better like Uno, Phase Ten and Solitaire. Most of my friends are the same so we rarely play board games.