OtakuBoards

I Forgot What You People Look Like (Image Heavy)

2010DigitalBoy

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fun fact here, I just finished my enlistments two months ago. 

Cropped out your rank tab, but not your surname, I see.  =P  But also, congratulations for putting in the effort to get your warfare qualification.  I know it doesn't mean as much to the surface community as the submarine warfare does to ours, but it still takes effort and knowledge, so good on you.

Enjoy the new PT standards lol

Thank you!

I'm certainly not looking forward to the new madness that is PRTs after such a long lazy period.

Congrats on making it out alive! How long were you in for? And what would you say was your favorite port while out and about?

Just over nine years, so right about the point where the Chief's Mess starts plying you with phrases like "oh man, that's almost ten, and if you do ten, you might as well do twenty!" lol.

I was attached to the Connecticut for sea duty, and its overhaul took roughly half a decade, so the most ports I got to see were Pearl and Ketchikan during Sea Trials and shakedown runs, unfortunately.  I did have a full deployment on one of the Ohios, but since their entire mission is to go lurk somewhere in case a weird world leader decides to get froggy, it was basically three months of Five Knots To Nowhere with a permanent forecast of 60°F and fluourescent, haha.

But I did get to see far more of the country than most of my family or friends back home ever have or will, and in the process fell in love with the Pacific Northwest, so I count myself fortunate in that regard.

How about you?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reaching that midway point for sure now, but I've already done the unthinkable and reenlisted for six more years, ha. I'm probably gonna wind up doing the full twenty if possible; similarly already getting bugged by the mess since I'll be eligible for the Chief exam here soon, and I'm not so sure I want to put it on. If it happens I feel it'll be a huge mistake on their part.

Eventually I plan on settling down in the Pacific Northwest. All my childhood memories of that area were splendid - all the dark, rolling mists and sprawling pine forests. Beautiful. When I come back from being stationed in Japan I'd like to take shore duty around that area to get started.

As far as the countries I've managed to explore, my first tour was aboard the USS Gravely out of Norfolk, so my two deployments took me to the Mediterranean and Middle East. Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Israel, and Bahrain were some main hubs that we frequented, and stops like Croatia, Santorini, Cyprus, and Montenegro were absolute gems. Though I am pissed that after I checked off the ship they went on a NATO tour all around Europe and basically partied in each country for like a week at a time. Still, I am thankful for the sights I've seen and the memories I've made at each of the breathtaking locations in that part of the world.

At the moment I'm enjoying the student life at GSM C school stateside, so it's a welcome break.

Though the sub life is something foreign to me, I'm glad you were at least able to still see locales that you were able to fall in love with.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...