OtakuBoards

Three most recent CD purchases

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Okay this is a thread for those poor misguided souls (like myself) who still buy CDs instead of having our friends burn copies or own iPods or MP3 players (My mom's thinking of buying me an iPod for my birthday though I don't know why) I can't help it, I'm in my car more than I'm anywhere else and I need my CDs. I'm just curious, what are your three most recent CD purchases.

Mine are:

[b]Fuel- Something Like Human[/b]- Yes, I know it's an older album. But I had the hardest time finding it after I got into that genre of music. I finally found it at Best Buy for $9.99.

[b]Miranda Lambert- Crazy Ex Girlfriend.[/b]- This is the follow up to her first Album Kerosene. I first found out about this second CD by hearing the title track a few months ago on my local country station. When I heard Famous in a Small Town I was hooked. The best song on there by far is Guilty in Here followed by Gunpowder and Lead.

[b]Jack Igram- This is it[/b]- Yes, another country CD. He did a cover of Lips of an Angel and that's one of the main reasons I had to have this CD. The other reason is because of track 5 titled 'Love you' I can't help it, that song fits me. I drive down 104 blasting it.

So, what about everyone else?[/color][/font]

[size=1][color=teal]Hrm, well if memory serves these are my most recent purchases:

[b]Mute Math - Mute Math:[/b] After hearing their take on the Transformers Theme for the new film I was instantly in love with this band and went out to get their album. I love it, its awesome and I recommended it to anyone. Typical and Noticed are my favourite songs so far.

[b]Hans Zimmer - At Worlds End Soundtrack:[/b] Bought this the day after I saw the movie. While its not my favourite of the soundtracks from the PotC series it is definitely a strong one. The best piece from this album for me is Up is Down, closely followed by One Day.

[b]Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight:[/b] Got this the day after release 'cause I had an exam on day of release and forgot about it, heh. I adore this album, really love all of the tracks on it and recommended to any rock or Linkin Park fan, no exceptions. Favourite songs on this are Valentines Day, No More Sorrow and In Pieces.[/size][/color]

[FONT=Arial]Oh geez, I'm just gonna fall into a trap here.

[B]AFI - A Fire Inside EP[/B] and [B]AFI - Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes[/B] (02/01/07)
I got these at the concert because they were a lot cheaper than they would've been in the store ($10 for the full length and $7 for the EP, which I've only found in distant places such as the Disney World music store). Both of them are amaaazing (of course), even though they're pre-Jade Puget. Shut Your Mouth is pretty much the crossroads album, hinting that the band would be moving in a darker direction.

[B]AFI - Decemberunderground[/b] (06/06/06)
This album is different from the first two on so many levels. For one thing, the lyrics are far more poetic. The genre itself has changed almost completely, and the musicianship is incredible (as I said, the first two albums had a different guitarist. Jade Puget is seriously a musical genius). And though it's very easy to discern Davey Havok's voice from that of any other singer, his voice has definitely matured over the years (partly due to the problem he had with his vocal chords and the surgery he had to undergo).

If I got anything else in between those two dates, I seriously can't remember. I mean, of course I acquired new music (non-AFI even! shock!) but I very rarely have money to spend on CDs, and a lot of the time my friends will have the music I want so I'll just get it from them.[/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]huzzah! Today i just got my first CD in a long while! I'm go glad you posted this just in time :catgirl:

[B]Mogwai [/B] - [B]Mr. Beast[/B]
Ah, the post-rock awesomeness so full of emotion and wonder and soul - I can't help but love it. I haven't really gotten used to the second half of the album since I haven't heard as much of those songs due to the fact that i'd heard the earlier ones on youtube. [B]Travel is Dangerous [/B] is of course one of te best songs evar, though [B]Glassgow Megasnake [/B] and [B]Acid Food [/B] are always fun too.

well, actually, I got his about a week ago if it counts...

[B]Hare Hare Yukai [/B] -[B] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya[/B]
Oi, this came with my special edition DVD. It's got the ending theme [B]hare hare yukai [/B] and this other nifty song, and then the non-lyrics versions of both. All-around fun and bouncy.

(reaching way back here)

[B]Agalloch [/B] - [B]Pale Folklore[/B]
i think this was the last one before i shifted from focus on buying lbums to buying manga and anime DVDs. I got it before i moved, so I know it's definitely been a while. Anyway, this is probably my favorite [B]Agalloch [/B] album if for nothing other than it's their most well-rounded release, featuring nothing but solid tracks. One of my favorite albums.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]Ironic, I just got two new CD's today. A few days ago I got another one too.

[B]Disturbed - Ten Thousand fists:[/B] A good CD. Includes two of my favorite songs. I was originally looking for something else, but I saw this and BOOM; I bought it. A lot of thw songs are good, but I hardly listen to this CD. Once I get my new MP3, I'll listen to it a lot more.

[B]Breaking Benjamin- We Are Not Alone: [/B] This CD has a lot more heavy songs than the third one. "So Cold" and "Sooner or Later" are two of the best songs on this album. I love the noises they make with the insruments. I almost got A.F.I. but I should get a different album from them instead, so I'm used to their music more.

[B]Bullet for my valentine - the Poison:[/B] I've only heard one track from this CD on the radio. But I think they're a good band. I'll update this post once I listen to them more.[/COLOR]

I don't tend to just buy CDs, so I'm including vinyl in here too... why not.

Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me :: Obviously not for most people by default, but I've been a fan for a long time. Pretty solid album, a handful of very fun tracks (Evidence, Red Carpet Grave). Not comparable to earlier output in importance or even sheer listenability, but I don't think it has to be.

Battles - Mirrored :: Came out last month, but I just picked it up. They're basically a weird math rock band. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, but it's good. It's different from previous albums if you've heard them before, mostly because of the vocals. Not for every one, but if you like mostly instrumental, slightly-experimental rock music it's pretty cool.

Bollweevils - Heavyweight :: Picked this up on vinyl, already owned it on CD. Couldn't pass up a sealed copy for $5. They're a a somewhat infamous local Chicago punk band that's been broken up for quite a while (although they've done at least one reunion show). This is a live recording, but it's solidly recorded. Plus it has a cool Bad Brains cover.

[QUOTE=Premonition][COLOR=Navy]Ironic, I just got two new CD's today. A few days ago I got another one too.

[B]Disturbed - Ten Thousand fists:[/B] A good CD. Includes two of my favorite songs. I was originally looking for something else, but I saw this and BOOM; I bought it. A lot of the songs are good, but I hardly listen to this CD. Once I get my new MP3, I'll listen to it a lot more.[/COLOR][/QUOTE][size=1][color=teal]Just want to say good buy with that, Disturbed rock, heh. Can't wait for their new album, woo.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Jokopoko][size=1][color=teal]Just want to say good buy with that, Disturbed rock, heh. Can't wait for their new album, woo.[/size'][/color][/quote]

[COLOR=Navy]A new albm you say? Intersting. Plus I forgot to menion that I also have The Sickness. that's also a good CD.[/COLOR]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Okay this is a thread for those poor misguided souls (like myself) who still buy CDs instead of having our friends burn copies or own iPods or MP3 players (My mom's thinking of buying me an iPod for my birthday though I don't know why) I can't help it, I'm in my car more than I'm anywhere else and I need my CDs. I'm just curious, what are your three most recent CD purchases.[/color'][/font][/quote]
iPod? it's because it's just the way to go nowadays. get a casette adaptor and you don't even need to fumble with your CD's anymore. I miss my iPod...

anyway: As far as I remember the most recent legit CD's of mine are: [B]Poodle Hat[/B] and [B]Dare to be Stupid[/B] by "Weird Al" Yankovic, because i'm a big fan and an incurable dweeb, and who can resist the unique allure of "Couch Potato," anyway?

The other one is [B]Intermission[/B] by dc Talk , which is the most awesome contemporary christian group evah. This is a Greates Hits Album and the music is just that.

My last three CD purchases were more of ones I've been hunting to find a used copy of.

The first, even though I already have it, was [B]Rachmaninoff: Complete Works For Piano & Orchestra.[/B] The difference? This one is the copy where[B] Abbey Simon[/B] was the pianist. Every time I find something where he performed I snatch it up. That guy is amazing.

The second,[B] Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major[/B]. For the same reason as the first. I like the pianist and in this case it's [B]Daniel Barenboim[/B]. I'm always looking for stuff like this.

The third. I got the three CD's with the soundtracks and complete vocal's for[B] DNAngel[/B]. I'm rather happy with that one since I like the instrumentation as well as the bit of more rock sounding songs on one of the disks.

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Okay this is a thread for those poor misguided souls (like myself) who still buy CDs instead of having our friends burn copies or own iPods or MP3 players (My mom's thinking of buying me an iPod for my birthday though I don't know why) I can't help it, I'm in my car more than I'm anywhere else and I need my CDs.[/color'][/font][/quote]

Most modern car radios have a line in jack that you could use for this. Mine didn't have specific iPod support, but a simple cheap cable would allow me to really hook any audio device into it and play through it.

It's obviously possible that your car doesn't have that at all, but it's worth mentioning. I'd almost suggest buying an inexpensive radio that does have it because not having to worry about 15 CDs in a car is very nice.

[color=#db2007]I don't listen to a lot of music, and I don't know if I have [i]ever[/i] bought a CD for myself... I am trying to find soundtracks for [i]The Prince of Egypt[/i] and [i]Hoodwinked[/i], though. I really enjoyed those songs, and I owe my mom a birthday gift.[/color]

[size=1]Well, for mother's day, I bought [b]Mika[/b]'s album: [b]Life In Cartoon Motion[/b]. It's an enjoyable album, I must admit, so I ripped it for myself. Na-nah. She was very happy with it, so once again, I'm the best son in the world.

Shortly before that I bought the special edition version of [b]Linkin Park[/b]'s new album: [b]Minutes to Midnight[/b]. Despite a lot of bad feedback I really enjoy the album. It's not the same as their old stuff, and I don't necessarily say that it's better, I just love how they developed themselves through time and will keep developing, hopefully. The special edition case looks really neat too.

Euh, and I legally downloaded the new album of the [b]Arctic Monkeys[/b]. Think it's [b]Your Favourite Worst Nightmare[/b]. I downloaded it off a Russian site, mind you, so it was still only a dollar or so, but at least I was being legal. Sort of. The album is nice, though listening to it for the first time was sort of a let down, as I heard to many great things about it. It isn't so great, it's just... nice. Every once in a while.

But if you wouldn't count the pay-download, my last purchase was probably [b]Franz Ferdinand[/b]'s second album [b]You Could Have It So Much Better[/b] (with Franz Ferdinand), which was a long while ago, mind you. I never really buy CDs unless I really love the artist.

[b]Edit:[/b] Okay, I forgot to mention the new album of [b]Wir Sind Helden[/b], called [b]Soundso[/b]. I adore the CD. It's almost as cool as their last album Von Hier An Blind, which says a lot. German indie, hurrah.[/size]

[quote name='Semjaza']Most modern car radios have a line in jack that you could use for this. Mine didn't have specific iPod support, but a simple cheap cable would allow me to really hook any audio device into it and play through it.[/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I drive a 2003 Olds Alero if that helps at all. Love to elaborate, but I have to run to my next assignment.[/color][/font]

CHW: Not really, lol. Basically you're kind of just looking for something that looks like a headphone jack on the radio's face.

[quote name='Boo][size=1]Well, for mother's day, I bought [b]Mika[/b]'s album: [b]Life In Cartoon Motion[/b']. It's an enjoyable album, I must admit, so I ripped it for myself. Na-nah. She was very happy with it, so once again, I'm the best son in the world.[/size][/quote]

This is actually quite a good album. Very diverse. Sometimes it reminds me of Junior Senior, but at other times it's almost radically different.

I bought it as an import because at the time it seemed like no one was interested and I figured it wouldn't be coming out here. I was very wrong, unfortunately and spent too much money on it lol. More than $10 like it is now, anyway.

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I like Battles too. They is good.

1.)[B] Queens of the Stone Age[/B]: [I]Era Vulgaris[/I]

Amazing album. I think there isn't a more diverse rock album out there today. Josh Homme is becoming one of my favorite singers and he wrote some great, hooky riffs for this album. [B]QOTSA[/B] keep outdoing themselves with every release.

Key Tracks: Make It Wit Chu, Sick Sick Sick

2.) [B]The Number Twelve Looks Like You[/B]: [I]Mongrel[/I]

A very good album. I am afraid to say its a metal album, fearing Jakehammaren's wrath, so were just going to call it a *whatever*-core album (goddamn genres). The members are beyond talented at their instruments, and there is more of a melodic sense to the songs, regardless of all the screaming.

Key Tracks: Imagine Nation Express, The Weekly Wars

3.) [B]Crime in Choir[/B]: [I]The Hoop[/I]

Phenominal. I heard the title track at a friends house and bought it at the Virgin Megastore a while later. Its progressive rock in the sense of the song structures, but not in the sense of melody or legth. All the songs are easily accesable and aren't twenty minutes of weedly-woo prog-jerkoffery. Just some instrumental stuff and Zach Hill drumming like he has a billion arms and feet.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Well, why not.

1. [b]Pergolesi's La Serva Padrona[/b] (Hans Ludwig Hirsch conducting). This is the piece that destroyed Baroque opera, and you can actually hear why if you're familiar with what else was being written at the time. In the midst of very stuffy, very long works stuffed to the gills with bells and whistles, the 20-something Pergolesi dropped a 45-minute comedic intermezzo about a dirty old man with a thing for his maid and all the music stripped to bare essentials - it was insanely popular, and suddenly no one could write like Handel or Scarlatti anymore. It's a lot of fun (imagine - fun opera!) and extremely easy to take, requiring less than an hour rather than an afternoon. This recording, on the Arts Music label, is quite good (I especially like the bass). No translation with the libretto, though. :(

2. [b]Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero[/b]. No, I didn't really follow the mad chase through the internet. Something about a hand and drugs in the water? Anyways, this is pretty good as an [i]album[/i], although I think a lot of the songs are weaker than on With Teeth (and no fair comparing them to anything earlier than that). Basically what you've got here is Trent Reznor trying to write a kind of requiem for the United States (or its soul, at least), with each song being a little episode recording the last days. Vessel sounds like a T-1000 on the dance floor; In This Twilight is a power ballad in a burning office building. Most of the album is unrelentingly dark and claustrophobic (and almost all electronic), although there are bits of hope towards the end. Unexpectedly, this is a really [i]sexy[/i] album; most of the tracks slink along well below 100 bpms throwing bass and static all over the place, making this ideal music for a night of lovin' (or altered consciousness, or both).

3. [b]Gesualdo's Quinto Libro di Madrigali[/b] (performed by La Venexiana). One of the last published collections by one of the most infamous composers ever (I'll let you [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Gesualdo][u]read up[/u][/URL] on Carlo in your own time), and still some of the freakiest music ever written. This album completes my collection of the Gesualdo madrigals. Like the others, it's impossible for me to get all the way through in one sitting; there's so much detail in each madrigal and they require so much attention that listening to more than three or four at a time is completely exhausting. All the strange dissonances and harmonies are like a bad acid trip. Still, the stuff is incredibly beautiful; "sweet poison," as the prince might've put it. La Venexiana have a long history with extremely difficult vocal music, and they acquit themselves well here (sometimes their pitches are slightly off, but that's it). Difficult, and definitely not driving music, but worth it.