OtakuBoards

Anime Game

Vigilance

does anyone have an opinion on what anime game should i play that i already didn't played yet ? i played Xenosaga, it has a good story line to it and gameplay is fun. i also played the naruto games and the ghost in the shell game. i also played the disgaea series which is good. so i'm hoping to play something different that is in a anime video game.

I'm-a go out on a limb and say people probably want to know what consoles you have, as well, but I already have a basic idea from your thread about currently owned consoles.

PS2: the only one you haven't mentioned that I can think of is:

[B]Tales of the Abyss[/B]
See Dagger's banner above you? Ask her more about it. I have not played this game, but I have heard almost nothing but praise about it. And I'm addicted to one of its predecessors. The storyline makes you come, the linear motion battle system makes you stay.

Other than that, all I can say is:

Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2 (if you're into it, decent fighter,) Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia, Zelda: Twilight Princess/Windwaker (Shaddup, Cel-da haters.)

For the love of PETE you need a Gamecube, man! Anime stylized games practically flock to this machine (Although Wii IS backwards compatible with it, so that will save you a fair bit of money on your next console purchase, practically buying 2 and all.)

In general, if you can find anything with "Tales of" printed in the title, just buy it. With the possible exception of Legendia, which I have heard mediocre reviews about.

You said you've played the Disgaea series. Do you mean just Disgaea 1 and 2 or have you also played the other Nippon Ichi games? If it's just Disgaea then I'd highly recommend Phantom Brave and La Pucelle Tactics. Makai Kingdom which is the other game is good but no where near as good as the other 4 games.

[quote name='Meggido']You said you've played the Disgaea series. Do you mean just Disgaea 1 and 2 or have you also played the other Nippon Ichi games? If it's just Disgaea then I'd highly recommend Phantom Brave and La Pucelle Tactics. Makai Kingdom which is the other game is good but no where near as good as the other 4 games.[/QUOTE]
I'd consider against La Pucelle, It's fundamentally pretty weak compared to the Disgaea games. Of course, Disgaea is top-notch

If you want a real kick then check crunchyroll.com for videos relating to Suikoden. The AMV contains the Anime-Style cutscenes from the series is pretty awesome.

[quote name='PWNED']I'd consider against La Pucelle, It's fundamentally pretty weak compared to the Disgaea games. Of course, Disgaea is top-notch
[/QUOTE]

Well La Pucelle was their first PS2 game so it's only fair that Disgaea which was their second would be better. I have to say though that Makai Kingdom which was their 4th doesn't seem to hold anything over the others except that it seemed to be quite a bit easier. Been a while since I played it but it's the only one that I finished as it felt fairly quick.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I've got all four. [B]Disgaea[/B] is naturally the most fun because it can be as simplistic or as complicated as you want, and if you're into it, you can play it forevar.

[B]Makai Kingdom[/B] is just pure fun. It's got the most over-the-top attacks and a way better system than Phantom Brave stategically, IMO. Plus the story stuff is absolutely hilarious with a memorable cast of characters (Mickey! XD)

[B]Phantom Brave[/B] is the most complicated of the games, which can get annoying, becase it can be unforgiving, and the story is good but way more serious than the other games.

I haven't gotten very far in [B]La Pucelle[/B], but what I've played was excellent. There's more to it than Disgaea, but not so much that it becomes a pain, and it's really fun once you get used to it. [/COLOR]

now since you metion La Pucelle Tactic and Phantom Brave, I have already played those game on the Ps2 already, but i never played Makai Kingdom before. its just that i didn't have enough money back then to buy it and Tales of the Abyss, i saw that game at the store, but i never played it before. I haver played Tales of Legendia and that was a good game. The Tales of Legendia has anime cut-scene which was awesome to the game. I might considered Makai Kingdom, since it sound like a good video game to play.

Wow no one mentioned [B]Z.O.E 2 [/B]yet? For shame! That is probably not only the best anime game ever created but the best mecha game ever created. The graphics hold their own against oblivion and other overclocked games. Completely awesome battle system which a few people have ripped off...
The story is good if you buy both games and understand it. The music is AMAZING. It fits very well and sounds great.

So basically buy this game...

Hmmmmm, how about the Dot Hack game series?

[color=darkred][size=1]I could've swore I edited this post yesterday. Weird.

Anyway, when replying to threads like this try and put a little more input. Instead of simply recommending .hack, say why you like it and why you'd recommend it. It's a lot more helpful, trust me.[/size][/color]

[color=#4B0082]I removed the edit because he started this thread and he's asking about .hack, not recommending it. But then I forgot to PM you about it. . . . Anyway, this post is fine; carry on everyone, nothing to see here. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

[quote name='PWNED']I wouldn't recommend them. They're interesting for a while but they have a tendency to get dull somewhat quickly.[/QUOTE]

Not G.U. since it is so story based it keeps you craving for the next thing to happen. Also the characters are very good and well developed. Then there is the extremely fun gameplay. Your character actually has mods for his weapons and can upgrade his class which is really fun. So I would definitely not say that.

[quote name='Blitz_Kid']Tales of the Abyss, i saw that game at the store, but i never played it before. I haver played Tales of Legendia and that was a good game. The Tales of Legendia has anime cut-scene which was awesome to the game.[/QUOTE]
Abyss is generally considered to be superior to Legendia. It also has occasional anime cut-scenes, so I imagine you would probably like it. I loved the comedy & the chemistry between the characters. The battle system becomes deeper & more interesting as you progress in the game. By the end, I was excited about the idea of playing it again with clear-file upgrades and at different difficulty levels.

~Dagger~

I'd say get the first .hack game if you want to give them a try but don't feel committed to getting all of them. I'm still somewhere in the 4th of the first series. Definitely get .hack//GU though as it is the superior. I haven't played it myself due to no PAL release yet but from what I've seen it's a lot better. If you do play GU you might want to check out the anime .hack//ROOTS for a little background but that's purely optional.

[quote name='Meggido']I'd say get the first .hack game if you want to give them a try but don't feel committed to getting all of them. I'm still somewhere in the 4th of the first series. Definitely get .hack//GU though as it is the superior. I haven't played it myself due to no PAL release yet but from what I've seen it's a lot better. If you do play GU you might want to check out the anime .hack//ROOTS for a little background but that's purely optional.[/QUOTE]
Wait you were reffering to the first game? Unless you like the anime series you shouldn't buy that...period. Poor graphics confuzzling story make it a rent if you haven't seen the anime.

Yesterday I was playing the .hack//G.U: Rebirth Volume 1 and I had to say that this game was pretty good. Its been awhile since I'd played a good video game with a good story-line that goes with it. When I'm playing the game, I wanted to see what happen next to the story-line. Right now I'm into the game 8 hours into it already. So if the second volume is good like the first volume I might considered to get all of the .hack//G.U volume. Can someone tell me when does the third volume of .hack//G.U comes out? I only see the first and second volume in the Gamestop store in the mall. I ask the employee "when does the third volume of .hac//G.U comes out?" He said "It comes out in October 10th" So is it true that the third volume of .hack//G.U comes out on October 10?

10th of september is the release I'm able to get from websites but stores are sometimes more accurate. I'm just disappointed that the GU series isn't getting a european release at any foreseeable date simply because I loved the ROOTS anime and though the first series of games can be tedious at times I do enjoy them.

Well, for an anime style, I just picked up "Blue Dragon" yesterday. It's got the style of Dragon Ball, and made with a lot of the Final Fantasy people, including Nobuo Uematsu (the guy who did the music for FFX).

For an anime based game, I actually enjoyed the Full-Metal Alchemist games, even though a lot of people hated them. I even like Dragonball Z Budokai 3, as far as a fighting anime game. Of course, you can't go wrong with .hack games.

Wow those game you people mention sound like, they are very fun to play. I was wondering, is Odin Sphere is like one of those good video game to play? What about Grimgrimoire? I know that the name look funny or isn't spell right, but actually that is actually the name of the video game. I saw this game in the Gamestop store and thought that it wasn't a anime game. So is it or is it not a anime game?

I've heard/read some very good things about Odin Sphere. However being in Australia we get done over bad when it comes to having some of the better rpgs released. I've heard about half a dozen good ones we have never got. Can't help you on th other though.

I'm surprised that no one has recommended [B]Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King[/B] yet. Style wise it's done like the anime DragonBall, and the overall graphics and storyline is fantastic. Basically the story goes like this:

[INDENT]Dragon Quest VIII begins when the evil jester Dhoulmagus steals a magical scepter from Trodain Castle. With this powerful scepter, he transforms the inhabitants of Trodain into thorny plants, as well as changing the king into a toad-like monster and the princess into a horse. The hero, a young Trodain guardsman, is the only resident to remain uncursed. Accompanying the cursed king and princess, he hunts Dhoulmagus, in hopes of restoring Trodain to its former glory.[/INDENT]
With fantastic music, great voice acting and each main character having different skill sets you can develop, making it a great game for replaying, it's one of my favorite anime styled games. Just go here to check out more as well as seeing a trailer on the game: [URL="http://www.dragonquest8.com/"][U]Site[/U][/URL]

[quote name='joshdude89']Nobuo Uematsu (the guy who did the music for FFX).[/QUOTE]

As well as... ALL the other FF's, he's only the series's composer is all!:animesmil

I'll just put some GBA suggestions, since if you want a new system at some point, it's an affordable option.

Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku I &II/Buu's Fury:
I don't like #1 much, but I was addicted to #2 for a while. Buu's Fury I have not played.

Tales of Phantasia: Yes, ANOTHER one. Other than minor translation errors (the epic battle of "Kangaroo",) this is a fantastic piece of work and the only (legal) way to play a translated version of this game. Symphonia was created as a prequel to this , but stands on it's own quite nicely, too.

[quote name='Aceburner']As well as... ALL the other FF's, he's only the series's composer is all!:animesmil
[/QUOTE]

He didn't do the soundtrack for 12...and not sure about 11 but I never count that anyway.

But damn can't believe I forgot to mention [b]Dragon Quest VIII[/b]. I love that game and still putting lots of time in it as I'm no where near finishing it.

Another suggestion would be [b]Rogue Galaxy[/b]. From the creators of the [b]Dark Cloud[/b] games this game has a very animeish feel to the graphics. though I still have to wait 2 weeks for an Aus release, I thoroughly enjoyed the [b]Dark Cloud[/b] series, so this should hopefully live up to the same standard if not be better.

[quote name='Meggido']He didn't do the soundtrack for 12...and not sure about 11 but I never count that anyway.[/QUOTE]

Right, sorry about that. I've basically only played the ones before VII, so I wouldn't know. I hope to change this when I buy a PS2, though (The current game library of PS3 coupled with the price of the system and limited backwards compatibility make it unjustifiable for me to buy one. Nice going, Sony. "No Guitar Hero controller for you!")