OtakuBoards

ever deadly cancer sticks (thread for smokers)

Metalcore501

Lots of things you can discuss here, what brands, prices, and for those of you who dont smoke what do you think of smoking? And for those that do when did you start, who gave you your first ECT.

I've been smoking since I was 12, and got my first from a cousin. I smoke 3 different brands Signals, Salems, and Marbarols all menthol. Normally buy in carton signalsare like 10 a carton, salems 35, and marbs depending on what shop I go to 25 to 35 what brand do you guys perfer?

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Funny that this thread would start today seeing as i had my first smoke yesterday night. Some friends offered me some and i figured why not? Well, obviously there are plenty of reasons as to why i shouldn't, but that's only if i continue smoking. I don't plan to continue. I only wanted to give it a shot.

It was interesting, not quite what i was hoping for though.

I don't have a problem with people smoking. I mean sure, it's very unhealthy, but there are worse things you can do and worse ways you can kill yourself. At least smoking is relaxing and whatever else. Most smokers seem pretty cool and sensitive to people who don't smoke so it's all good.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

yeah, thats the same way I was. It didnt taste good and even still I gag on the taste and im 14 now so 2 years. I agree there are worse ways to kill yourself, but smoking does relax me anyway even though it increases your heart rate. If you don't planon smoking then stop nowand don't again, because I said the same thing and now im probably hooked for life. I've tried quitting but i havn't lasted3 weeks without one.

[quote name='Metalcore501']for those of you who dont smoke what do you think of smoking? [/QUOTE]Personally, I think it's a disgusting habit. No offense to those who do smoke, but I've never cared for it. The smell was always a turn off so I never tried it and knowing what it can do to you... I have no plans on doing so. I mean the smell can be pretty bad, especially if the person is a chain smoker or rather smokes so much that they reek of the stuff. Do I care if others do smoke? No. Not my business, unless they want to do do so in my room or apartment. Then I'll boot your butt out the door.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Personally, I think it's a disgusting habit. No offense to those who do smoke, but I've never cared for it. The smell was always a turn off so I never tried it and knowing what it can do to you... I have no plans on doing so. I mean the smell can be pretty bad, especially if the person is a chain smoker or rather smokes so much that they reek of the stuff. Do I care if others do smoke? No. Not my business, unless they want to do do so in my room or apartment. Then I'll boot your butt out the door.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you there, my mother is a chain smoker. I dont live with her but when I visit it's smell is soo horrible. It's a disgusting habit, I do advise many not to smoke I just wish I could take my oun advice. Ive tried it all patchs, gum, cold turkey the works and nothing has worked for me

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Metalcore501']and for those of you who dont smoke what do you think of smoking? [/QUOTE]It's something that I avoid whenever possible. Not that it's anything against the person in question, but I have asthma and breathing in cigarette smoke can often bring on an asthma attack. Something I've learned over the years the hard way. So though it may seem harsh, for the most part I avoid people who smoke because to be blunt, they always forget that it's a problem for me and I hate having to remind them to 'take it outside' And like Rach said... I also hate the smell.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Metalcore501']For those of you who don't smoke what do you think of smoking?[/quote]

[SIZE="1"]Honestly, I think it's a vile and stupid habit, given how well published the links between cancer and smoking are nowadays. I suppose it's fairly personal for anyone who's had to watch people close to them dying of cancer brought on by smoking, like I have but I still don't see why people would ever choose to start smoking in the first place.

I don't have anything against smokers, given my mother and sister both smoke, I don't notice the smell off smokers any more, but I still can't stand to be around people smoking, as I start coughing like crazy and the smell is just awful.

Also, Metalcore, do yourself a favour and quit. My brother was your age when he started and managed to stop after four years, and he'd be the first to tell you he's better off.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Honestly, I think it's a vile and stupid habit, given how well published the links between cancer and smoking are nowadays. I suppose it's fairly personal for anyone who's had to watch people close to them dying of cancer brought on by smoking, like I have but I still don't see why people would ever choose to start smoking in the first place.

I don't have anything against smokers, given my mother and sister both smoke, I don't notice the smell off smokers any more, but I still can't stand to be around people smoking, as I start coughing like crazy and the smell is just awful.

Also, Metalcore, do yourself a favour and quit. My brother was your age when he started and managed to stop after four years, and he'd be the first to tell you he's better off.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Terribly right gavin, but quiting isnt the same for everyone. For some it's harder than others, and plus there is the ever popular question of 'Do I wan't to quit' and honestly there is a part of me that does but another that doesn't. I guess for now all I can do is say if i wanna kil myself I will, and I would like to point out another factor. Some people go there whole lives smoking and don't have a aingle problem, my great grandfather smoked 4 packs a day and was almost always drunk. Aside from his liver failiure he had no other health problems. When on the other hand my aunt margret ended up with throat cancer and now has a huge hole in her neck. Smoking increases you chances of catching these diseases just like not wearing a seatbelt increases your chances of dieing in a car wreak.

[size=1]Much like Rach and Gavin, I think smoking is a repulsive and stupid habit to take up. Unlike Rach though, I take every offense to smoking, especially in my presence. I see smoking as a character flaw in the person as much as most would see being a dickhead. But at least when you're a dickhead you don't ruin the lungs and body of the person standing next to you.

Again much like Gavin, I had to watch my Gramma die from cancer (even though I was only 3 at the time) but the fact that she was an awesome woman and she's no longer here because she did something stupid stays forever with me and I've never once put a cigarette to my lips and I can say in all honesty that I never will.

If you feel like you have to have this thing every fifteen minutes during your day to go on or whatever then I think you've just got a problem. I admit I'm found of booze but I don't have a compulsive need to take breaks out of my working day to drink and I like gaming/anime but I don't get a little break to go do that to keep me going.

Now I'm just kinda ranting, but I guess you get the idea that I really don't like smoking/smokers. It just always seems that no matter where I'm standing around someone who's smoking or what direction the wind is blowing that the smoke always comes in my direction like it knows I hate it. ¬_¬

I'm sorry, but I do have to disagree with 13thMan about so-called 'sensitive smokers' too. There's no such thing. If they smoke at all, whether in front of me or not, they're still smoking and polluting our breathing air with filth.

Despite how cool a guy he is and all the things he's done for me through my life, I still very much hold it against my brother for smoking, especially since he was closer to my Gramma and was old enough to know what was happening to her.

There, I feel so much better now that my daily rant is out of the way.[/size]

[color=crimson]Plenty of my friends are smokers but I've never taken it up. My friend recently has gotten into smoking all natural smokes that he bought at some little mom and pop joint that he seems to like. Hookah is pretty popular and I've been meaning to try it but I just have not gotten around to it.

Myself, I've only smoked a cigar every blue moon. I don't really care for the economics of the habit or the health issues but I am fine if other people want to plop down cash for it. The only drug I've ever had a serious issue with is the smell of marijuana I just can't stand that, lol. Cig smoke is pretty tame in comparison.

Just make your own choices. Never forget that it will shave off years of your life though, that is just how it works.[/color]

[COLOR="Olive"]All I can say is, if you get cancer, so don't blame the company's, blame yourself. That really burns me when people say it's the company's fault. People die from smoking because they subjected themselves to it. "OMG ciggarettes are killing me, I blame those companies" shut the **** up okay? It's your fault.

I've tried a puff, and I'm already getting killed by my grandma's second hand smoke. I don't intent to start. Plus I'm allergic to smoke from them.

So Metalcore, all I hsve to say is this. If you want to die, we can't stop you but don't cry your *** off in the hospital bed, if your stupid addiction gets that bad. Sorry if I seem harsh, but hey, it's serious.

Ans the reason you can't quit, even when you tried is simple, ou can't help yourself. the reason it's not working is ebcsue you don't try to quit. It's all about commitment. If I got married and I wanted a divorse, would sitting on my arse help those papers come any faster? Nope. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Andrew;791226][size=1]Now I'm just kinda ranting, but I guess you get the idea that I really don't like smoking/smokers. It just always seems that no matter where I'm standing around someone who's smoking or what direction the wind is blowing that the smoke always comes in my direction like it knows I hate it. ¬_¬[/size][/QUOTE]That's so true and it's one of the reasons I hate smokers. If someone is smoking near you, it [I]always[/I] ends up in your face somehow. And though I don't have asthma like Crystia does, I am allergic to a lot of air pollutants so smoke just gets my allergies going and if it's too close, it makes my sinuses burn. So I avoid people who smoke since I want nothing to do with it. Plus, I've got uncles and aunts who, though I wasn't close to them, died from lung cancer from smoking. So it's clear that doing something like that isn't very smart.[quote name='Andrew'][size=1']I'm sorry, but I do have to disagree with 13thMan about so-called 'sensitive smokers' too. There's no such thing. If they smoke at all, whether in front of me or not, they're still smoking and polluting our breathing air with filth.[/size][/quote]I have to agree, being 'sensitive' has nothing to do with smoking because to be blunt if they really were so 'sensitive' you wouldn't have to ask them to smoke elsewhere. It's an addiction and other than one older woman that I knew, not one of them [I]ever[/I] gave a damn that they were exposing others to second hand smoke. We have a law here in Utah that says they have to be 50 feet from a public building, so what do they do? They smoke just outside the door and don't give a damn that when others leave work they have to walk though the stench.

In the end it's up to the person to decide if they want to smoke, but honestly, you won't be doing much with me. I hate the smell and I sure as hell won't let anyone smoke in my home. It's one thing I simply won't tolerate in a boyfriend, because I hate the smell and I've yet to meet a smoker who on some level doesn't smell of smoke. Now you might think that's no big deal, but it does come up as a turn off in certain situations, I'm not going to explain since I'm sure you can grasp what I'm getting at. Anyway, in the end I simply avoid it since it's unpleasant, and I've no interest in getting cancer from second hand smoke either. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]All I can say is, if you get cancer, so don't blame the company's, blame yourself. That really burns me when people say it's the company's fault. People die from smoking because they subjected themselves to it. "OMG ciggarettes are killing me, I blame those companies" shut the **** up okay? It's your fault.

I've tried a puff, and I'm already getting killed by my grandma's second hand smoke. I don't intent to start. Plus I'm allergic to smoke from them.

So Metalcore, all I hsve to say is this. If you want to die, we can't stop you but don't cry your *** off in the hospital bed, if your stupid addiction gets that bad. Sorry if I seem harsh, but hey, it's serious.

Ans the reason you can't quit, even when you tried is simple, ou can't help yourself. the reason it's not working is ebcsue you don't try to quit. It's all about commitment. If I got married and I wanted a divorse, would sitting on my arse help those papers come any faster? Nope. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Revolver I agree with you compleatly about the company ********, I think they should ban those stupid commercials. Ciggerett companies are like any other they are trying to sell their product, yeah it's not good to subject kids but hey their product can kill they know it and need new consumers. Second hand smoke has not been proven compleatly harmful to peoples health! I say this to everyone! Mrs. Cummings my science teacher showed me a site about it if I remembered it I'de put the link down. There isn't enough evidance each time a lab tests it results alwayscome up different, Addictions do get bad and eventually if Idon't quit I will die young and honestly im ok with that I wont cry and tell them to let me go in peace. I do have the commitment **** face you of all people should know how commited I get! I tried it all, and not even smoking I'm commited to my work, music, school, and relationships so don't judge me like that.
And deathknight those herbal cigs suck ***, they taste like it to and I'de know. Not to mention there very expencive around here they're 75.00 a carton.

[SIZE=1]Wow, lots of negativity O_O

Well, I was never one to really care what people think about me in general... and I won't care if people think I'm a bad person for this. My grandmother also died of cancer and my father smokes. My mum did and quit as well.

I smoke about once a fortnight but I don't get any cravings, it's normally just social smoking or the fact I can. And I get crap off some people for it, but I don't call those people my friends. The simple fact is, it's my life, and it was my gran's as well. I think sometimes it's apparent to most people that I'm not obsessed with living forever or even keeping myself from being hurt - if I die sooner, I die sooner, it was my choice and the one thing I [i]am[/i] obsessed with is keeping this life mine. However, I do feel bad for those who have lost people from smoking, but I'm not commenting on that.

I don't smoke in front of people unless they say it's okay. I don't buy my own, I get offered and take them. I don't make a point of standing outside of buildings or smoke in public areas, since I'm pretty much never in a public area. The only time I smoke around people are smokers who say it's fine. I may be a ****, but I'm a bit courteous when I want to be.

Whilst everyone focuses on the bad points, are they're any good points? Yep. I found a site the other night about the good effects of smoking on people with mental diseases. I'll have to find it again, it's not solid proof, but it'll do. And, it's calming, I think. Seems that way sometimes when you get really stressed out.

I pretty much feel like half the people I know will be funny or nasty with me if they know I smoke. Why does it make me a bad person? I'm not blowing it in your face. I'm not addicted. I'm not forced into anything. It doesn't change anything at all about me, only the fact that I might die sooner one day - [i]by choice[/i].

On a lighter note my favourite brand is Mayfair ^_^[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]Well, I was never one to really care what people think about me in general... and I won't care if people think I'm a bad person for this. My grandmother also died of cancer and my father smokes. My mum did and quit as well.

//

I don't smoke in front of people unless they say it's okay. I don't buy my own, I get offered and take them. I don't make a point of standing outside of buildings or smoke in public areas, since I'm pretty much never in a public area. The only time I smoke around people are smokers who say it's fine. I may be a ****, but I'm a bit courteous when I want to be.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]I wouldn't go so far as to think someone is bad for smoking. ^_~ As for the second part, half if not most of the negativity, at least from me, comes from dealing with smokers who can and do make an issue of basically telling you to F off while they blow it in your face. It gives those ones out there who are polite a bad name even though they've done nothing wrong because it's hard to forget those rude jackasses.

I'm sure people who are considerate like you are do exist, but then based on what you've said, it sounds like I never see them. Because you know... They aren't smoking near you. And in that case, honestly, I have no issue with it at all. In that respect I agree with Rach, it's your business not mine. I may not care for it, but if someone else wants to do that on their own time or in their own space, that's their right in my opinion. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=Arial]Hm. Well, everyone here (NYC) smokes it seems, so I'm a bit desensitized to it.

I personally really don't care if someone smokes or not. I've tried a few cigarettes and didn't like it, but I definitely think it looks cool. The unparalleled burning feeling really turned me off to them. The smell doesn't bother me so long as I don't have to live with the person. It doesn't matter to me if someone wants to light up in front of me.

I'm rather confused as to why people are so adamantly anti-smoking. I understand if you've witnessed the impact of addiction firsthand (either yourself or watching a loved one die), but that aside, bah.

And as a random sidenote: let people smoke in bars.[/font]

[font="trebuchet ms"] I don't care is someone smokes, but I care if someone smokes obnoxiously around other people and make them cough. Like, what is that? "I'm really cool, so I'm going to sit here and make everyone around me smell how gross cigarette smoke is and not take a hint when people around me start hacking."

It's like how people take pictures of themselves getting drunk and post them on Facebook or wherever. You don't look cool, you're pale and sweaty and you look piss-disgusting. [/font]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I've been smoking on and off since I was a Freshman in college. Mostly off since none of my friends smoke and ever since my custody thing was finished back in July I don't have the stress that I did anymore.

Not that I was much of a smoker to begin with- I may have smoked like three a day, if that. But then when I realized that I had to make a choice between gas or smoking I chose putting gas in my car.

My brother smokes. And some family members of people I take care of smoke. Now that I've quit (for good this time because my boyfriend will kill me if I ever start again and it's one of the few thngs I actually listen to him about) I realize how nasty it is, the smoke gives me a head ache and just gets everywhere. Plus the taste is horrid. I don't know what possesed me to start the last time.... oh yeah I do, the lady who wore clown make up and threw things at me!

But seriously why waste your money on something that's gonna kill you?[/color][/font]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

I don't smoke, I hate the smell. Plus, I have always subconciosly linked smoking with irresposibility. My biological father smoked, and he was horrible. My ex smoked, and was nearly as bad. Now there is this girl.

There is a girl in three of my classes this year. Now, I'm a freshman in college so I'm not really integrated yet, but I'm quite sure that it is not common to refuse to buy your books and reading materials and just bum them off of classmates. The very idea seems ridiculous to me. Now, this girl is a smoker. She smokes three packs a day. Newport 100s (The type she smokes) are 3.25 per pack here. That is 68.25 per week she spends on cigarettes. We have been in school four weeks, but residents moved in a week early. Meaning that she has spent aprox. 341.25 on her habit since the start of school.

This girl could have easily bought the books for her classes with that money, our English book was $75, our algebra books were $140, and our FS materials were $65. Then she has a legal studies class I am not in, but I'm sure she could scrape up the cash to buy the books for that class.

I work my arse off to go to school. I live off campus so I am closer to my job. I am taking seven classes, two of them are difficult design classes. Also, I'm sixteen years of age. Every scholarship has been a battle. Even getting accepted has been horrible. Yet this girl gets in on a full ride, and she blows all the money her mum and dad give her on smokes, rather than books. Then she has the audacity to try and borrow mine!

I don't have a problem with cigarettes. If you really feel the need, go ahead. Just be responsible about it! Don't neglect other financial responsibilities to fuel a habit. I guess it's just the smokers I know who are jerks and idiots, I really have no beef with smokers in general.

Just a question though, what is it about breathing in tainted air that is so desirable? I'm not condemning it, I just would like to understand. Thus far people have only mentioned the calming factor, but there are plenty of things that are calming, I just don't see a point in smoking.

(This mostly off-topic post has been brought to you by a raving lunatic. Thank you, and goodnight.)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]What do I think of smoking? Seems like a waste of time and money to me. Especially when you consider how bad it is for you. Do I care if others do? Not really, I only care if they want to do so where I live or near me. Because like others said, it stinks. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='sakurasuka'][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]Just a question though, what is it about breathing in tainted air that is so desirable? I'm not condemning it, I just would like to understand. Thus far people have only mentioned the calming factor, but there are plenty of things that are calming, I just don't see a point in smoking.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]Tobacco smoking is recreational and social. You want a smoke? Yes or no, that still can start a conversation. Gives people something to do. Calms people down. Doesn't do much else but slowly poison you.

Not seeing a point in smoking is a personal decision. Other people choose to see a point in smoking.

Either way the one who chooses not to see a point in smoking will probably live to have that point of view longer so you win.[/color]

[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]And as a random sidenote: let people smoke in bars.[/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]On an equally random sidenote, since Ireland introduced it's smoking ban, bar workers apparently experience better health records. Go them. [/SIZE]

[COLOR="Olive"]Metalcore, just because there isn't solid scientific proof, doesn't mean it not bad. It is, there is still stuff in that smoke. It does affect you. Just not as much because the chemicals aren't all there anymore.

Science isn't always needed to prove stuff, common sense helps as well.

I agree with Gavin, even though I never knew Ireland banned smoking from bars. But if it works!

I don't mind Pot though. Heard it tastes like ****.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]On an equally random sidenote, since Ireland introduced it's smoking ban, bar workers apparently experience better health records. Go them. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] New York state instituted a smoking ban inside resturaunts, bars and the like in 2002. Let me tell you it was a nice breath of fresh air when I moved back up here from Texas in 2003. Texas still (I haven't been there since 2005) has designated smoking areas and you can smell the difference.

This year Monroe county went a step further and now prohibits smoking on any hospital grounds which makes sense since people are sick and the last thing they really need is second hand smoke. Plus the whole deal with Oxygen being in use.

Also we have a hotline to help people quit called NewYork Quits. There's a website and everything.[/color][/font]