OtakuBoards

Who is better Vampires Vs Werewolves

kitsora

[FONT=Arial]Werewolves, for me, by virtue of being less stereotype-abused.

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"']...arguing over which fictional race of immortals is better seems a shade too close to pointless for me.[/SIZE][/quote]

Aye, but here most of us are just spouting our preferences. I mean, the thread could just as well be Sherlock Holmes versus Mata Hari. Some go for one, some go for the other, and the [I]uneducated[/I] just don't care. (I jest.)

From what I've seen, most vampires are portrayed as mere bloodsuckers, preying upon vulnerable humans, and rarely are they even dignified with tangible personalities. There are a few pleasant exceptions, such as the members of the three Courts as portrayed in the Dresden Files, but by and large the only emotions given to vampires are those manufactured by and to better sate their permanent lust. It's almost as if there's an unspoken rule that all traces of a person's original mind must disappear when they become a vampire.

To that end, there is a sexual element to vampires. It stems basically from their insatiable lust. Offhand, I don't think I can produce any better information, but it is definitely there.

Werewolves in fiction tend to have more of a human personality?probably because they're still mortal?so they have more of an empathetic draw for me as persons torn between their human and animal halves. Also, we aren't just limited to wolves here; although lycanthropes are typically associated with wolves, they can be any type of animal, which gives us a good deal of variety and diversity in the crossover animal characteristics.

I can and do enjoy both when I am able to do as I please with them, but as I said, werewolves are generally more convincingly and more creatively played, so I go with them.

One final thought:
[quote name='Fasteriskhead']Werewolves are metaphors for menstruation.[/quote]
Ummm...I don't quite follow.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]

Ummm...I don't quite follow.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Ever hear of the term "Looney"?

It's a derivate of the term Lunar, which is used in scientific circles for the moon.

It was originally defined because some women would act wierd in the few days before or after a full moon as part of the natural cycle having the same time interval as the moon's phase.

I don't see how a man would be vulnerable to it though unless he was driven looney by his woman during that time.

[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi']Ever hear of the term "Looney"?

It's a derivate of the term Lunar, which is used in scientific circles for the moon.

It was originally defined because some women would act wierd in the few days before or after a full moon as part of the natural cycle having the same time interval as the moon's phase.

I don't see how a man would be vulnerable to it though unless he was driven looney by his woman during that time.[/QUOTE]

[size=1]I think that the comparison was more on the lines of "werewolves transform once a month" and "women menstruate once a month." ;)[/size]

[quote name='Fyxe][size=1']I think that the comparison was more on the lines of "werewolves transform once a month" and "women menstruate once a month." ;)[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Good logic, but then that would mean werewolves transform because they failed to get pregnant for that cycle.

[CENTER]:p[/CENTER][/FONT]

Guest sugargirl11
in twilight by stephanie meyers i aboslutely love edward.
and all jacob [the werewolf] does is grow hair and heal fast >.> okay maybe i jut dont like werewolves.

vampires are too cool :]

[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi']Ever hear of the term "Looney"?

I don't see how a man would be vulnerable to it though unless he was driven looney by his woman during that time.[/QUOTE]
[color=#9933ff]I don't think you're expressing yourself quite clearly. Do you mean to say that if the period of menstruation coinsides with the full moon, women are more crazy? :rolleyes:

The fact is that if you believe the moon affects the moods of people, it affects ALL people, and that ALL people exhibit some sort of craziness when the full moon rolls around, REGARDLESS of gender. Don't make this a gender issue or I'll be all over your *** about it.

I'd also like to say that the craziness has nothing to do with the PULL of the moon on the water in your body. Whether or not you can see the moon, it still pulls the same amount on you all the time. The craziness has to do more with biology - bio-luminesence/over exposure to light, rather than physics. (If, you know, you believe in this sort of a thing anyway...)

I also think Allamorph hit a very important point - Werewolves see to exhibit more human emotions than Vampires, and thus (those of us who LIKE werewolves) feel that we can relate more to werewolves than vampires. No matter what type of mythical creature you're writing about, they must have some human quality to them, or else the reader won't like them at all.[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933ff]Don't make this a gender issue or I'll be all over your *** about it.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]That time of the month eh. ;)

Cool, calm, collected, powerful. You don't have to sprout fur all over the place or smell bad. The night is your kingdom.

Vampire sound aight to me.[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"] Sorry, Remus Lupin definitely owns anime. :p[/font][/QUOTE]

My goodness, you are like my friend! She's obsessed with him. Good thing I wasn't in the same room as her during our discussion of the whole Werewolves Vs. Vampire debate.

I'd probably go with vampires. The whole hairy werewolf thing doesn't appeal to me. But, wow I never realised how much it must suck to be a female werewolf. You finish menstrating then, bam! It's the full moon![/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='orbindo'][COLOR=red]PEOPLE, PEOPLE!! i believe a certain movie called Underworld already proved that a Vampire/Werewolf (vampwolf, or werepire?) kicks both their butts.[/COLOR][/quote]

Quick vote here... how many people in this thread have seen the movie Underworld, or Underworld: Evolution?

I have, and yes, a vampire/werewolf hybrid is better, but according to the movie only a few special people can even survive being bitten by both creatures.

Besides, the thread is asking vamps, or lycans, not both in the same...

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Whew, I'm back from the dead again! Yes! (no pun intended :animeswea)

Well I've been reading Michael by Kimm Soo Young (?) off and on and the title character is a very vain vampire with a lot of secrets and the author tends to de-bumk some vampire myths such as not being able to see themselves in mirrors. So I have to say vampires pwn Were creatures.... But not by much.[/color][/font]

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=green']I haven't taken astronomy in ages, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the location (not the phase) of the moon responsible for high and low tides?[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]The moon's location and phase are tied together. A full moon occurs when the moon is on almost the exact opposite side of the Earth from the sun (a lunar eclipse happens when the alignment is perfect), and a new moon when the moon is between the Earth and the sun. When the three bodies are aligned in either way, the gravitational pull from the sun is combined with the pull from the moon, and we have more extreme tides. When the moon is half-full (waxing or waning), its pull offsets the sun's pull because it is forming a right angle with the sun and the Earth, and so we have less noticeable tides.

So both are true. (^_^)

As for pwning, I don't know that I can say anything. The difference in physical/mental prowess is ultimately up to the individual author, so what have we. All I can say is that werebeasts appeal to me more; I could write a story in which lycans hold the superiority, but that would be my interpretation.

Of course, I also like the whole were-shifting at will deal, if that says anything.

(Thank you, [COLOR="DarkRed"]Roxie[/COLOR].)[/FONT]

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][COLOR=#9933ff]I don't think you're expressing yourself quite clearly. Do you mean to say that if the period of menstruation coinsides with the full moon, women are more crazy? :rolleyes:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#9933ff]The fact is that if you believe the moon affects the moods of people, it affects ALL people, and that ALL people exhibit some sort of craziness when the full moon rolls around, REGARDLESS of gender. Don't make this a gender issue or I'll be all over your *** about it.[/COLOR][/quote] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=gray]The same concept applies to the word lunatic, but to my understanding it affect all people not just women. Althought I have heard that scientific studies have proved it to be nothing more than a myth. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=gray]I can't remember exactally how it was explained but it was something to the extent of a full moon illuminates the night more, so normally there were more people that would go out, as well as it was easier to see the actions the people were preforming. So even if you could see ok with the full moon, preforming actions that would normally be done by daylight at night made some people seem a bit crazy. It was something to that extent if I remember right.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=gray]Anyways to answer the thread question, I don't really think there is a better of the two, I prefer vampires. It's more a matter of elegance for me, I guess you could say I'm kinda a vain person, as well as unemotional, so the image of vampires just mesh better with my own personal thoughts and self image. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=gray]In matter of fact I'm being a vampire for halloween, ha ha.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='MistressRoxie][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Do you mean to say that if the period of menstruation coinsides with the full moon, women are more crazy?[/COLOR'] [/quote]

[COLOR="Olive"]Tis true Mistress. Women go crazy during full-moon, and during the period. It's not proven however, becasuse scientists are too afraid to study women during this time. They fear for their lives.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Olive"][QUOTE]Vamps seem to suck in my view because they're too preppy.[/QUOTE]

Aww, wah. So what, they're much better than werewolves. And they don't look preppy, they look nicely dressed. Werewolves like to parade around naked, not something that shold be seen.

I mean do you want some hairy animal's penis waving in your town? I think not.[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="Magenta"]I'd say Vampires but that's just me. I have this obession with Vampires right now but some of you have a good point. Vampires are somewhat like Werewolves just less hairy and love the darkness. For Werewolves the whole hairy back thing is just creepy. I mean not being able to see the full moon is kinda bad for my case. Vampires one the other hand seem to just have really good smell and really good taste for blood. [/COLOR]

Werewolves being naked is bad? That's like saying dogs should wear clothes, and not just the short-haired in the winter up north. I really wouldn't mind naked werewolves everywhere, but that's probably because I'll turn dogs over and try to see if they are male/female, plus I've seen my dad in his underwear, and the fact I live out in the country.