OtakuBoards

Effin' Robots!!! (Robot Sex)

The13thMan

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I was listening to my favorite podcast (The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe) during calculus class today and they started to talk about sexual encounters with the robot kind. Needless to say, i turned down the volume on my iPod to make sure nobody overheard it and started to give me funny looks. They talked about how far away from the present they thought sex-bots were and the moral boundaries involved. And that's the question i thought to myself, "Hey! This would make an interesting topic on some message board!" So, naturally, i came here.

Where would you draw the line with robot sex? What do you think about marrying a robot? Is sex with a robot just like masturbating or is it closer to bestiality and the like? What do you think of it morally? Would you ever be interested (don't lie, guys)?
Have you ever seen the anime Chobits? What was up with that sexual tension between Chii and Hideki? And whatever other questions you feel like answering.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Funny how this makes me think of the episode of Futurama:animesmil. Yes, this is a weird subject that's going to have a strange answer. I think it would just be masturbation. No matter how much of human like personality you give a robot, does it have a soul, feel pain, or is conscious and self aware? Animals have all of these traits (souls are up in the air for argument). So basically, I think having sex with a robot is just have sex with a really animate blow-up doll that can also be a slave. I'm not sure how marriage goes. Heck, I've heard people married a dolls and dolphins. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]I'm with Desert on this one. Sex with a robot seems to me to be nothing more than a really complex way to pleasure yourself. And personally, although not being nagged by a significant other sounds nice at times, I'd like my wife to have some independence and personality. Clockwork and lights just don't cover the companionship that people can offer.

By the way, am I the only one here who thinks metal-on-genital doesn't sound satisfying?[/FONT]

The issue is whether artificial intelligence can come to establish thought processes so complex that they can be said to have life--after all, the human brain is just a bunch of nerves firing off electrical signals to each other. And I think as long as souls don't come into the issue, it's true that robots can eventually become what we would call "alive" (anyone who doesn't think so hasn't seen Short Circuit).

I, however, do believe in souls, so I think robots can never become more than objects. Thus, for sex they'd just be toys and for marriage they'd be sources of delusion.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Masturbation, people? What if you think of the robot as a person? What if they evoke the emotions in you a person would? Just because they don't reproduce, it's not called sex?

EDIT: It's a bit NSFW but if your the type who calls them inhuman, then it's fine [url]http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/1161/Orient+Industry/[/url][/COLOR]

[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]I see what you are coming from John. The possibilities are there. Makes me wonder if you can justify a clone as an organic robot. I think that is technically what it is. So maybe they can be considered alive, and I also agree with you on the soul part.

As far as the act of sex with a robot goes. Lets just hope existing toys will just be attached to them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it:p.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Masturbation, people? What if you think of the robot as a person? What if they evoke the emotions in you a person would? Just because they don't reproduce, it's not called sex?

EDIT: It's a bit NSFW but if your the type who calls them inhuman, then it's fine [url]http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/1161/Orient+Industry/[/url][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]I consider a person to be someone who eats, breaths, sleeps, dreams, and feels emotion.

As for the "not called sex" comment, What do you think masturbation is? It's nothing more than artificial sex. It's what you do when sex isn't an option.[/FONT]

[quote name='Sojiro47'][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Your choice. What do I care.

Along the same lines as organic clones, if you clone yourself and have sex with the clone, is that:
a)Masturbation
b)Incest
c)Homosexual sex

Just one of those random side questions.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Two words - female clone. Actually, if I actually had the time money power will and ability to create a clone of myself, considering the extreme that it exists at I would also get a sex-change operation so that it would be homosexual incest, but now we'd both be female, and after all, I've always wanted a little sister who was in love with me.

However, the clone won't pop out looking like you or anything, it has to grow up and all, so I'd still have to wait like 15 years and by then I'll be thirty and the whole plan's gone to ****. But a clone has a concousness and stuff, so calling that masturbation is just plain ****** up, and I would consider that descrimination against my clone. [/COLOR]

[B]Where would you draw the line with robot sex? [/B]
That's easy... I wouldn't have it to begin with.

[B]What do you think about marrying a robot? [/B]
I wouldn't, even if it was possible, because it's a robot, something that isn't a living breathing human being.

[B]Is sex with a robot just like masturbating or is it closer to bestiality and the like? [/B]
It's probably like using an overly expensive sex toy really and since they aren't real bestiality does not apply.

[B]What do you think of it morally? [/B]
Morally? Nothing really, like I said it would be nothing more than an overly expensive sex toy. So the question would be if you think using those are wrong. lol

[B]Would you ever be interested (don't lie, guys)?[/B]
No. I prefer a real relationship over pretending I have one with an object.
[B]
Have you ever seen the anime Chobits? [/B]
Part of it.

[B]What was up with that sexual tension between Chii and Hideki? [/B]
lol Nothing, it was a make believe story and doesn't have any bearing on how a real relationship would be. Since we aren't even close to having robots like they portrayed in the show. So everything they did with that is nothing more than guesswork on the author's part. XP

Seriously, real relationships are where it's at. Not attempting to have one with something that is artificially made. And in this case, it would be nothing more than an expensive sex toy. And even if we ever did reach that point, I'd rather be with someone who is real like I am.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Seriously, real relationships are where it's at.[/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]Nah, random hook-ups are when it's at, but that aside I more or less agree with your points. :p

I don't think that robots will ever be human by simple virtue of the fact the word "human" is not synonymous with "intelligent and anthropomorphic". It's sort of like the following predicament -- when video games have graphics equivalent to real life, who's to say that video games don't carry lives of their own within them (to the players, say of an MMO)? Robots/graphics are simulated and constructed, while humans reproduce sexually.

However John brings up the important point -- considering our brains are just a bunch of firing neurons, and our bodies are a sack of bodily functions, what truly separates us from a robot? Very little, it would seem. I don't have intimate knowledge of robotics and the like, but is it possible for a robot to feel fear or happiness? Certainly both humans and robots would have a "programmed" response to it, but humans have the ability to truly feel it and not simply exhibit the facade of the emotion, if this makes any sense.

This also begs the question of "what is the mind?" Is the mind a deux ex machina, does it exist at all? If it is a deux ex machina, well, I guess a sufficiently complex computer would be able to have a mind, although I doubt we'll approach that complexity for several hundred more years.

Erm, yeah. Enough musing on that for me.[/font]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Rachmaninoff']Seriously, real relationships are where it's at. Not attempting to have one with something that is artificially made. And in this case, it would be nothing more than an expensive sex toy. And even if we ever did reach that point, I'd rather be with someone who is real like I am.[/QUOTE]Agreed. Why even attempt to make or settle for something artificial when real people exist? And by real I don't mean random hook-ups like Retri suggested, I mean real relationships since the question of marriage was brought up. I have no interest in the idea of Robot Sex or marriage since I agree with John, for sex they would be toys, for marriage they would be mere delusions. And I'm more interested in the real deal, not something that will not be real like another human being is. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=green]Anyone else read about those Japanese otaku who prefer their inanimate dolls over real women because "they don't judge and always love you?" Even the creator of the dolls became enamored with his harem. If anyone finds the article, I think it's a good segue into this topic.

Anyway, I agree with Sojiro about this being under masturbation. Masturbation is ultimately an attempt to simulate real sex, whether it is imagining it or using a fake orifice to thrust into. Although if I had sex would a robot, I probably wouldn't consider myself a virgin...

I think it would be a good way to prevent those who can't get a girl from procreating and creating more losers and freaks, though... So I'm all for it.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]See, when you guys say "robot", I think steel. And steel is hard, and usually kinda cold.

Yeah.

Anyway, as far as the sentience angle goes, I'm deferring to Asimov. I think he pretty much laid down the law for robotics. (Haha, pun. :animesmil) Other than that, I say the heck with robots, all you guys should wait for androids. At least they [I]look[/I] human.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Robot, android, no matter what the fancy name. It's still not real. I can see the sex toy aspect here, but marriage? As John said, that would be delusional. And I agree. I'd rather stick with what I already do, date real guys. If I ever get married, it certainly won't be to an object that isn't even human. lol[/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]Robot, android, no matter what the fancy name. It's still not real. I can see the sex toy aspect here, but marriage? As John said, that would be delusional. And I agree. I'd rather stick with what I already do, date real guys. If I ever get married, it certainly won't be to an object that isn't even human. lol[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Chobits[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

But you are not accounting for the fact that at some point in time it may be possible to construct a machine that is passible in all accounts as human. Already it is possible to construct a robotic body that at least looks human. Using dyed silicone skin for realistic color and feeling, aluminum tube frame for comparable weight, pneumatic-sheath muscles for realistic movement patterns and comparable strength, we even have means by which to construct realistic and working humanoid faces that only need a suitable control mechanism to perfectly emulate facial expression.

The only part we can't construct yet is a brain and soul that would fit inside such a construct. It is really the only missing piece to having a robot that could be considered human. Unfortunately our present computing technology is too large to be used, nor is it capable of providing the intelligence thresholds for sentience.

I would just as soon stick with a flesh and blood woman, but there may be a point in time where such things are in fact practical and potentially even widespread. While I doubt a robot could be fertile, at the very least they would still qualify as being human enough for marriage. Instead of the gay marriage debates we have now we would be arguing over if robots should be allowed to marry or not. Imagine that.

Sorry about the nerd rant, but Artificial Intelligence is among my lines of interest and one of my own theories say that while we cannot engineer AI directly, if we engineer a humanoid compatible form and give it the capability to learn, eventually by experience it would grow a soul of it's own.

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi;795105][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Chobits[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]Not real and therefore irrelevant to this debate.[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi;795105]But you are not accounting for the fact that at some point in time it may be possible to construct a machine that is passible in all accounts as human. Already it is possible to construct a robotic body that at least looks human. Using dyed silicone skin for realistic color and feeling, aluminum tube frame for comparable weight, pneumatic-sheath muscles for realistic movement patterns and comparable strength, we even have means by which to construct realistic and working humanoid faces that only need a suitable control mechanism to perfectly emulate facial expression. [/QUOTE]And you're not taking into account that all of this is still out of the realm of knowing if it actually[I] is [/I]possible or not. And your talk of constructing something that looks human proves this out. The materials in such a robot are artificial and man made. It's not human it's simply emulating one. That's my point to begin with. [QUOTE=Odin M Yggdrasi;795105]The only part we can't construct yet is a brain and soul that would fit inside such a construct. It is really the only missing piece to having a robot that could be considered human. Unfortunately our present computing technology is too large to be used, nor is it capable of providing the intelligence thresholds for sentience. [/QUOTE]And we may never reach this point and even if we do being considered human is still not human. And even gaining sentience won't change the fact that they wouldn't be human. It would still be something else altogether.[QUOTE=Odin M Yggdrasi;795105]I would just as soon stick with a flesh and blood woman, but there may be a point in time where such things are in fact practical and potentially even widespread. While I doubt a robot could be fertile, at the very least they would still qualify as being human enough for marriage. Instead of the gay marriage debates we have now we would be arguing over if robots should be allowed to marry or not. Imagine that. [/QUOTE]Though that is possible, I don't see it happening in my life time. And honestly debating over marriage? Just as I have no problem with gay marriage I wouldn't care if someone considered themselves married to something that isn't human. I'll save the debate over civil rights and other legal issues for another time since I don't see this happening anytime soon if at all. [QUOTE=Odin M Yggdrasi'']Sorry about the nerd rant, but Artificial Intelligence is among my lines of interest and one of my own theories say that while we cannot engineer AI directly, if we engineer a humanoid compatible form and give it the capability to learn, eventually by experience it would grow a soul of it's own.[/quote]And that's just it... It's still nothing more than a theory. ;) And though it's repetitive, I have no interest in something that isn't human like I am. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Blayze'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I've only got one thing to say on this topic: make sure your sex-bot is wired up properly otherwise you might get a shock in your [insert rhyming word here][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]XD bout time we got some lulz in this topic. I can't even wrap my mind around why people don't wanna love sentient robots :O Am I the only one who doensn't think humans are all that great? Also, I'd like to throw a nw queston into the arguement:

Would you have sex with an alien woman? She's not human, after all...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]XD bout time we got some lulz in this topic. I can't even wrap my mind around why people don't wanna love sentient robots :O Am I the only one who doensn't think humans are all that great? Also, I'd like to throw a nw queston into the arguement:

Would you have sex with an alien woman? She's not human, after all...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Well to be fair, I can't wrap my mind around why people actually [I]want[/I] to love a robot. lol Also... I am a woman DB and therefore I wouldn't have sex with an alien woman. I prefer guys since I'm straight. :p As for a guy... That would depend, my objection to not being human stems more to the part where it's clear that they were made by a human out of [I]artificial [/I]parts. Where an alien, though not human, would not be manufactured at least. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]See, when you guys say "robot", I think steel. And steel is hard, and usually kinda cold.

Yeah.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1]That's exactly what I was thinking.

God, marrying a robot...that sounds like fangirling/fanboying to the next level. And while I do have my fair share of fangirling over nonexistant characters on pieces of paper [take that as you will], I am completely and totally open and ready for the real deal. :animesmil

Because, really. It's not that hard to find someone for you. You just have to look. Why settle for a robot that has no emotions, or farbicated ones? Just sounds silly to me.[/size]