OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy

Shy

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/img][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/img][/center]

Most of the nearby guests were looking at Vincent with a kind of subtle distain; they were trying not to be conspicuous, but in a way this made Vincent feel even more exposed.

Vincent heard a voice just behind him and when he turned, he saw Catherine standing there. No matter how many times he saw her, he was always impressed by her brilliance. She was, in many respects, one of the more senior members of the Almagest family. She carried herself with an air of quiet dignity and she never lost her composure. Vincent was eternally grateful for her small act of earlier kindness.

She smiled at him. ‘I am sorry about what happened earlier,’ she said softly.

‘Please, do not be sorry,’ said Vincent, ‘if anything, the reception here has been overwhelmingly positive. I am lucky to have been invited to such a fine house.’

Catherine laughed. Her laugh was infectious; it carried the same air of confidence that permeated every other aspect of her. ‘You are very good at veiling your true feelings, Vincent. I know it must be difficult. Please just know that you are always welcome at this house, as is your father.’

Vincent nodded but did not say anything. Catherine did not leave his side. She seemed to have something weighing on her mind but was unable to articulate it at first.

‘Vincent,’ she said quietly, ‘I hope you do not think me rude to say this, but I think you should speak to Macey. You rarely have the opportunity to see her and I am sure she misses you.’

Vincent raised an eyebrow and grinned at Catherine. ‘It almost sounds as though you would like to see us together again.’

Catherine chuckled and covered her mouth with a gloved hand. ‘Well, your union was one that united two countries. It is not every day that two great families of the New World come together in such a way. But what must be must be; I believe it happened for a reason. Perhaps you are better for Macey as a friend.’

For a moment Vincent considered this. And then he appreciated Catherine’s wisdom more than ever.

‘What should I do?’

‘Just talk to her,’ said Catherine, ‘she will come around. And you will feel better too. This awkwardness will not last forever; Leonhart considers the Achards to be lifelong friends and there is no way he will want you to feel uncomfortable in this house.’

‘Do you know where she is?’ asked Vincent as he looked around the room, suddenly realizing that Macey could be anywhere.

Catherine nodded. ‘I think you probably know where she is, Vincent. There is only one place in Rosengard for Macey when she needs to be alone.’

‘Thank you,’ said Vincent, ‘you are most wise, dear Catherine. This house will always keep its good name as long a you are here.’

And with that, Vincent kissed Catherine’s gloved hand and bid her goodbye.

The East Wing was deserted. In fact, the only noticeable disturbance in the supremely clean and orderly hall was the slight trace of glass sitting on the carpet. It glinted brilliantly from the chandelier overhead. This was the only place Macey could be; her own private balcony over looking the East Rose Garden. Vincent remembered that she went here whenever she was feeling down. Only this time, Vincent had been the cause and as such, every step toward the glass door was torturous.

And finally, there she was, sitting on an exquisite stone bench, bathed in cool blue moonlight. If Vincent could have frozen time and taken the image away in a frame, he would have done so. Macey was enveloped in luxurious black lace. In the moonlight, her dress took on a strange quality that was reminiscent of some kind of silken skin; it looked as though it were part of her, as though it were alive. And it, too, mourned in the moonlight.

Vincent suddenly did not want to disturb Macey. Something told him it wasn’t right, that he shouldn’t be there. But he was frozen. He could not see her face, but he knew that silver tears were streaming down her porcelain face at that moment.

‘Thank you for coming,’ said Macey quietly. Either she had heard him step onto the balcony or she could feel his presence. Although he romantically entertained the latter, he knew the former was more likely.

He sat down next to her and looked out over the rose garden. It looked just as it had when they were married.

'I miss the way we used to sit and talk for hours on this balcony,' said Macey with a deep sigh.

There was a sense of longing in her voice. It was not necessarily longing for Vincent, but possibly a deep sense of nostalgia for a time that had long since passed. Vincent represented a time in her life when there were so many possibilities, especially for a young bride. Macey had been quickly elevated to a superstar status; she was Czenovia's half of a marriage that was more than two people. It was a marriage of nations.

And now, it had all gone. She had become one of the few black sheep in the Almagest family. And although she had immersed herself in her studies, it was hard to escape the constant feeling of loss; she not only mourned a lost marriage, but a lost life.

'I miss many things,' said Vincent, 'life has never been the same...'

Macey didn't look at Vincent. He felt a certain pressure to say the right words.

'I'm sorry, Ella.'

Vincent was surprised when Macey shook her head. 'You don't have to be sorry Vincent,' she said with surprising resoluteness.

'But...', as he started to try to explain, Macey interjected.

'No, don't feel guilty. The only thing worse than being a walking public scandal is having you feel sorry. You have nothing to feel sorry for. We both faced such pressure. No person could resist that.'

Macey was right, but Vincent could not help but feel responsible. Their marriage had broken up for a variety of reasons - some political. But they both knew that somehow they were not meant to be. Macey loved Vincent, but she was often emotionally vacant. And Vincent adored Macey, but he never felt that he was giving her the love she deserved.

'This is still your home,' said Macey after a long silence. 'You know you are still welcome here.'

For the first time, she turned to him and the faintest hint of a smile crept over her lips. This took great effort, but Vincent appreciated it nonetheless.

'We have a hard road ahead of us,' said Vincent, 'but I think we can make it.'

He reached for her hand, but she instinctively pulled it away. She looked embarrassed by what was clearly an immediate natural reaction.

Vincent and Macey Ellen still had a long way to go, but he realized that she had not allowed him on her balcony for some time. They sat together for almost an hour in silence, just enjoying the comfort that each other's company brought.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[center][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/Almagest%20Legacy/dawlish-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/Almagest%20Legacy/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/Almagest%20Legacy/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/Almagest%20Legacy/helen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]
[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]
Dawlish shifted uncomfortably in his navy-blue suit, his usually-scruffy hair tied back into a loose ponytail, just a few strands at the front falling down over his forehead. He hated formal occasions, as they always required him to wear such idiotic attire as this - he would much rather be wearing a pair of overalls with goggles pulled down over his eyes, hunched over his workbench with some new creation than here. He despised the public scrutiny the members of his family were constantly put under, even more so since the Chronicle had published an in-depth article regarding his accident.

Just as he picked up a flute full to the brim with Czenovia's finest champagne, he saw his foppish cousin Fauntleroy swaggering over towards him, an idiotic smile on his face.

[B]"Ah, cousin," [/B]he said, slurring his words just a little, [B]"How goes your evening?"

"You can't be drunk already, Fauntleroy. The party's barely even begun."

"I waste no time in enjoying myself, Dawlish - I have embraced this family's heritage, while you sit around in your workshop with the shutters closed."

"You embrace this family's heritage? By getting drunk on champagne and flitting from one job to another? What do you even want, Fauntleroy?"

"I just wanted to let you know that a friend at the Chronicle may have...come across some information regarding the, um..." [/B]his gaze darted to Dawlish's leg and back again, [B]"Incident...which lost you your most favoured of appendages."

"There's no need to call it an incident, Fauntleroy - that implies there was someone to blame. This was an accident - everyone knows the story."

"Really?"

"Yes - the Gem refinery I was working on malfunctioned, and it exploded. Simple as that - there's no conspiracy around it, Fauntleroy."

"But what if it wasn't an accident, but an incident? Take this," [/B]he offered a folded piece of paper, [B]"And think about it. And make sure you give the full story to the Chronicle when you're done. Enjoy the rest of your evening, Dawlish."

[/B]Dawlish snatched the paper away from his cousin, who sauntered off into the midst of the crowd, and tucked it into his inside jacket pocket, intending to dispose of it at the first opportunity.

He took a mouthful of champagne and then headed off after Fauntleroy to try and find Nellie again. Out of the entire family, she was the only decent conversation around here.

Eventually, after being forced to greet and make small talk with a number of guests who he felt were not worth his while, he caught sight of Nellie, who was talking with a single person. As he ventured closer, he groaned, seeing that it was his youngest brother, Harrison.

[B]"Dawlish," [/B]he moaned as the eldest sibling got closer, [B]"Get Nellie off me!"

"Nellie has every right to keep a hold on you, Harrison," [/B]said Dawlish, [B]"You're a pain in the neck, and you need to be kept a close eye on."

"But I [I]hate [/I]these parties!" [/B]he groaned.

[B]"Listen," [/B]said Dawlish, his voice lowering as his face got closer to his little brother, [B]"I don't like these parties any more than you. But I stick through them, because of Dad, and Uncle Leonhart. So show a little bit of gratitude for what they've given you, even if you can't stand the sight of them, alright?"

"Fine," [/B]replied Harrison, losing eye contact in that typical moody teenager way.

[B]"Now go and sit down somewhere," [/B]said Dawlish, [B]"You need to calm down." [/B]He watched as his younger brother sulked off to an empty space.

[B]"You handled that well," [/B]said Nellie, a smile creeping onto her face, [B]"You know, Harrison really looks up to you."

"Well he really shouldn't," [/B]said Dawlish, [B]"I'm a grumpy old so-and-so at the best of times, there's no reason for him to follow in my footsteps."

"Oh, I don't think Harrison could ever be as grumpy as you. In fact, I think the only person who could ever be grumpier than you is...well, Dad." [/B]This comment brought out the tiniest of smiles on Dawlish's face.

[B]"There you go," [/B]said Nellie, [B]"That's the Dawlish I grew up with."

"Have you seen Jacob around?" [/B]he asked after a pause of a few moments, [B]"I need to speak to him about something Fauntleroy said."

"Oh, I shouldn't pay heed to anything Fauntleroy says. But if you really do need to talk to Jacob, then Father probably knows where he is. I think I saw him talking to Uncle Leonhart not long ago."

"Thanks, Nellie," [/B]he said, grabbing her shoulder in the most grateful way he could muster, then heading back off into the crowd to try and find their father.
[/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/leonhartavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]After leaving Harrison upon returing to the birthday party that was now in full swing, Victoria Ann looked around for Leonhart. After finally spotting him over next to Catherine she took advantage of her smaller statue to slip among the guests and family alike to get to her grandfather.

"[B]I just know he's going to love it![/B]" She said half to herself, not expecting anyone to say anything, so it was with real surprise when a familiar voice spoke up in response to her statement.

"[B]Who's going to love what?[/B]"

Victoria turned to see her uncle Fonty watching her with an amused look. "[b]Grandpa is going to love my present![/b]" She explained as she skipped over to chat briefly with him stopping when something caught her attention.

"[b]Oh uncle Fonty![/b]" She scolded him. "[b]You've had too much haven't you?[/b]" Victoria giggled, adults were so silly sometimes.

Fauntleroy just held up his right forefinger in front of his lips as if it was a grand secret, causing Victoria to just giggle some more and then give him a quick hug before she was off again on her quest to get to Leonhart.

When she was finally close enough she called out, catching Leonhart's attention. "[b]Grandpa![/b]" Victoria threw herself at him, hugging him tightly before she finally let go.

"[b]There you are Victoria Ann.[/b]" He smiled at her and then winked. "[b]It just wouldn't be a birthday celebration without one of my favorite grandchildren. And I see your mother has gotten you a new uniform. So you're going to be an airship pilot now?[/b]"

"[b]I am.[/b]" Victoria said with a serious expression on her face. "[b]This is for you Grandpa, I made it myself.[/b]" She untied the pouch from her waist and handed it over, waiting patiently for him to open it.

Leonhart smiled as he carefully examined it before turning to respond. "[b]What a beautiful air ship. I don't believe I've seen this one before.[/b]"

"[b]That's because it's my own design.[/b]" Victoria said proudly. "[b]I wanted you to have the first model of it and once I build it, you can be the first person to get to ride in it.[/b]" She finished.

Leaonheart tucked the model back into it's pouch. "[b]I'll look forward to that then.[/b]" He gave her a quick hug. "[b]Thank you very much for the present.[/b]"

Victoria just smiled broadly and then as if remembering something she turned to Catherine. "[b]I got Harrison to change just like you asked me too Auntie Catherine.[/b]"

"[b]I saw that dear. Thank you for your assistance.[/b]" She replied.

"[b]You're welcome.[/b]" Victoria curtsied and then turned and dashed back out into the party. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[center][IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/morphiaavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/henryavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG][/center]
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]The thought of the race had made Morphia a bit sullen as she remembered her unfair disqualification. That baboon Artür…even as she thought of him she felt an itch to get her hands on her whip again. Instead, she stole another glance at the young man beside her, who was still sitting and looking quite nonchalant.

Morphia had heard the rumors (and speculated quite a bit herself); it had made her dislike Dame Grimalkin even more than she had before. Bavaria hadn’t exactly been overly fond of Leonhart’s old friend either. As for Henry, Morphia hadn’t really known what to think. Even if he really was Leonhart’s son, there was no way he would ever be legitimized – the family had too much at stake, and none of the younger Almagest generations would welcome yet another relative to have to share wealth and influence with. Not only this, but with Bavaria present Leonhart would never attempt something like claiming a bastard – it was an impossible thing. Still, it seemed that both Leonhart and Bavaria didn’t mind if Henry was treated as any other member of the inclusive family.

[i]Bavaria is too generous. If Father ever had an illegitimate child, Mother would arrange an ‘accident’ immediately, even though they aren’t even married anymore. If fact, even if Father did marry again, I can’t say with surety that Mother wouldn’t try anything…[/i] After all, more children meant more divisions of power, and there was nothing that Odilie Markham wouldn’t do to protect the interests of her only child thus far. Indiscretions provided opportunities for weakness.

Yet despite Morphia’s obviously frosty reception, Henry had been quite polite. She didn’t like him any better than the other Almagest children, and in the Circuits she had purposely avoided any of the heats that he had been listed in. As a result, even though they had both been jockeys for a number of years, they had barely had any chances to compete against each other. Still, at times she felt a bit guilty for disliking him.
[i]What is it like, to be unable to claim a father?[/i] She studied his face, trying to find some clue about his character.

Suddenly Henry’s eyes locked on Morphia’s own, and he smiled, [b]“Find something interesting?”[/b]

It took a moment for her to register he was speaking, but then her training kicked in (thankfully). She looked away, as if bored, [b]“Hardly. I was only imagining what your expression would be if I passed you during the first lap in the circuit.”[/b]
It was, of course, a horrible retort, but would have to do at the moment while she found some reason to excuse herself. How embarrassing to actually be caught staring! Luckily any blush that might have arisen was already covered by the faint heat she was still feeling from the champagne.

But Henry wasn’t about to let her off that easily, and he liked her challenge, [b]“Well, I do have a race scheduled in next week, if you’re willing to change tiers…”[/b] He didn’t have to see her face; the slight stiffness in her shoulders told him that she knew she had been called out.

[i]Morphia, you are an utter foo[/i]l, she thought as she chided herself. She had definitely let herself walk into that. Still, the idea was interesting, and even excited her a little. Recently she had found herself becoming more bored and irritated by her current competitors – it was definitely seemed time to stop holding back, and actually have some fun in the higher divisions.
Thinking it over, she finally turned to Henry, folding her hands prettily in her lap, [b]“Fine. I shall see you in a week then.”[/b] She stood to leave, offering her hand.
Henry took it like any gracious gentleman, barely brushing the tops of her knuckles with his lips.

[b]“Morphia! So this is where you’ve been hiding!”[/b] Jack’s voice came echoing down the hall, and when Morphia turned she found him walking towards her in brisk strides.

Morphia’s face brightened instantly, and she held out her arm to her older brother, [b]“Jack! I’m sorry, I met Leonhart out here beforehand, and I was just resting before I returned to the party.”[/b] She made no mention of Henry.

Jonathan placed himself protectively at her side, his hand on her back. When Morphia had disappeared from the crowd he hadn’t been too worried, but as more time passed he had found himself becoming a little anxious. He had gone out to search for her, and as soon as he had stepped into the hall he had seen the two fair-headed individuals in a private alcove. Watching, he had waited until the young man kissed his younger sister’s hand before heading towards the pair, with all intentions of interrupting them.
Now that Morphia was safely on the crook of his arm, he turned to Henry, whom he recognized but had never officially met, [b]“I’m sorry, I don’t believe we’ve been introduced.”[/b]

[b]“Oh, I’m so sorry, please allow me,”[/b] Morphia said, [b]“Henry, this is my brother Jonathan Deacon. Jack, this is Henry, the son of Dame Anna.”[/b]

Jonathan extended his hand, [b]“Well, Henry, it’s good to meet you.”[/b] The thoughts in his head were contrastingly different than the words leaving his mouth: [i]Did they arrange some kind of tryst? Surely not; Bavaria told me that Morphia’s rejected all romantic attentions.[/i] Realistically he was probably jumping to all kinds of wild conclusions, but this had been the first time this night when Morphia had not been delicately attached to his arm.

Henry seemed perfectly at ease, and he took Jonathan’s hand quite casually. [b]“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well…Jonathan,”[/b] he said carefully.

Looking up at her brother, Morphia was the only one to notice the slight strain in Jonathan’s jaw-line. [i]I wonder if this was not such a good idea to introduce them…[/i] She merely put a slight pressure on Jonathan’s arm, smiling gracefully as more words were exchanged.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/beatrist-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/charlesavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][INDENT][B]"Oh come on Grandma Beatrist, can't we stay longer?"[/B]Bertram whined, [B]"Look, Harrison [I]and[/I] Victoria are allowed to stay out longer."[/B]

[B]"Well I should think so, Harrison and Victoria are quite a bit older than you Bertram. Now you've been at the party for quite some time, but I think it's time for bed. Now off with both of you. Go clean up."[/B] The children's grandmother sternly grasped Bertram's arm and pulled him out of the throng of people -- Almagests and family friends -- through the dining hall doors.

Bertram was just as stubborn as his mother and alwasy had a knack for breaking the rules. Pearl, however, was much more quiet and patient like her father. She sullenly followed behind her grandmother clutching the side of her evening dress. Tonight, however, Pearl wasn't as cheery as she used to be and she wasn't smiling like she was before the party started.

As the group reached the stairs, Beatrist said to Bertram, [B]"Run along now child. Wash up. I'll be in shortly to tuck you in and you had better be in bed by then."[/B]Then, to Pearl she said, [B]"What's wrong?"[/B]

The child's eyes were downcast, and it took quite a bit of coaxing before she would even look at her grandmother. That was when she saw tears in Pearl's eyes.

[B]"Daddy didn't come. You called him on the phone, and I know he said he wouldn't , but I just hoped with all my heart that he would be here."[/B]

[B]"Don't be so sure about that."[/B]Charles had just arrived at Rosengard and happened to overhear his daughter's words. [B]"I realized that I needed to see you and Bertie more than anything. Now, dry up those tears Pearl."[/B] He said, wiping her eyes. [B]"Now off to bed. I need to speak with your grandmother."[/B]

Pearl started to protest, but Charles insisted, [B]"I'll be up shortly to tuck you in and then we can spend all of tomorrow together. But for now, I need to speak to Grandma Beatrist."[/B]

Pearl left reluctantly, and Charles embraced his mother in-law.

[B]"I hope your healthy. Have you been eating? Why do you look so pale and dirty? I hope the railroads haven't been too unkind..."[/B] Beatrist did this ever time he came to visit. When she was done, he spoke.

[B]"Don't worry. I'm fine. I needed to at least pay my respects to Leonhart even if I'm not really an Almagest."[/B]

[B]"I'll not have that nonsense again. You will always be an Almagest. If anything, you're linked by the two wonderful children you and Elizabeth have..."[/B]

[B]"I know. I can't bear to think of it either."[/B] he replied, [B]"I only came for the party. I'll be leaving in two days."[/B]

[B]"Is that all? Why don't you stay longer Charles?"[/B] Beatrist pleaded for the longest time, but Charles would not discuss it further. Perhaps Bertram's stubbornness was inherited from both parents.

[B]"I'm just happy you're home, regardless of how long. And I know the kids will be pleased."[/B] She continued, [B]"Now. We must get you ready if you're to make an appearance at father's party. You take a bath, while I set out your old suit. Then, you can tuck the children in and you should be ready in time for a good portion of the party."[/B]

Charles started up the stairs to the bithroom. [B]"Charles?"[/B] She asked, [B]"Did you remember to bring a present?"[/B]

His heart raced. How could he have forgotten a gift for Leonhart on his birthday?

[B]"Not to worry. Somehow I knew you would be unprepared. I have one for you. And I have a feeling that Leonhart will be very pleased with it."[/B]

[B]"Thank you,"[/B] Charles sighed. [B]"Now I must hurry and get to that party."[/B][/INDENT][/SIZE]

[center][img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/morphiaavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/henryavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/jackavatar.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img][/center][size=1][indent]Over an hour had passed and Fauntleroy had decided to step out into the Grand Hall. His father’s small entourage was drawing dangerously close to the young man, and the last thing Fauntleroy would like is a forced confrontation, especially given his current inebriation. [I]Perhaps we’ll talk later in the evening,[/I] he thought to himself as he stumbled out of the ballroom, “[I]When he’s not being so childish.[/I]”

A trio of familiar faces greeted Fauntleroy as he exited the ballroom: those belonging to Henry, Jack and.. Morphia, was it? They were engaged in conversation, quietly criticizing both the décor and the guest list. Fauntleroy couldn’t agree more.

“[b]Hello Fauntleroy![/b]” Jack said warmly as he shook the man’s hand, “[b]How are you doing these days? Still working for Prometheo Labs?[/b]”

“[b]I… believe you’re thinking of my sisters,[/b]” Fauntleroy replied dryly, “[b]Last I heard of you Lady Bavaria was keeping you isolated inside of the Czenovian embassy for political asylum.[/b]”

Jack wrapped his arm around Fauntleroy and laughed, “[b]That’s a great story, too. You’d be surprised at how viciously the rest of the New Globe views Czenovian entrepreneurs such as myself. It’s a dangerous world out there, you know.[/b]”

“[b]So I‘ve heard,[/b]” Henry added, “[b]My Mother had told me that you had a bit too much to drink. Are you alright, Fonty?[/b]”

Fauntleroy cringed. While the two had grown up in close proximity, he would never think of Dame Anna’s son as anything but a servant, “[b]I’m doing quite fine, thank you. I was only stepping out to get some fresh air.[/b]”

Morphia nodded her head, “[b]The balcony seems to be… occupied. I saw your sister and Vincent head towards that way almost an hour ago.[/b]”

“[b]Perhaps one of the other balconies then,[/b]" he replied as he admired Morphia's gown, "[b]Miss Deacon. While I question your company, I must say you look lovely tonight.[/b]”

She revealed a small smile, “[b]Mother insisted on the extravagance. If she has it her way the two of us would be engaged by Spring.[/b]”

Fauntleroy raised an eyebrow in suspicion, “[b]You know as well as anyone that I’m… not the marrying type.[/b]”

“[b]What can I say? I welcome a challenge.[/b]”

Beautiful music began to echo through the Grand Hall, catching Morphia’s ears. She closed her eyes for a moment to relish the sounds she was hearing.

”[b]Do you recognize the song, dear sister?[/b]” Jack asked, “[b]It’s what they played at Bavaria’s wedding.[/b]”

She clasped her hands together, “[b]Such a wonderful piece. I remember that day well, even though I was just a young girl…[/b]”

Henry narrowed his eyes, “[b]I don’t believe I was invited.[/b]”

“[b]You didn’t miss much, Henry,[/b]” Fauntleroy muttered as he took a sip of his orange juice, “[b]When it comes to that wedding most of us would prefer to pretend it never happened in the first place.[/b]”

“[b]My sister is a good woman,[/b]” Jack said as he clenched his fist, “[b]If you only knew how it pained her to live in self-imposed exile while you children soiled your father’s good name...[/b]”

“[b]Please, Jack, let him live in denial,[/b]” Morphia turned her head away in disgust, “[b]I find that’s a recurring theme with The Almagests. Or are you and Leonhart on speaking terms again?[/b]”

Fauntleroy bit his lower lip and there was an awkward moment of silence. Henry looked around the Grand Hall. Although few had noticed the brief exchange, he felt as if the eyes of the room were on them.

“[b]This is getting rather heated. I wonder if we shouldn’t step out onto the balcony ourselves.[/b]”

“[b]A splendid idea![/b]” Jack exclaimed as he patted Henry on the back, “[b]I have an interesting business opportunity I’ve been meaning to discuss with you anyway, Fauntleroy…[/b]”

“[b]I’ll pass for now,[/b]“ Fauntleroy replied as he turned to Jack, “[b]But if you don’t mind, good sir, I’d like to borrow the lady for a dance.[/b]”

“[b]You’ve got to be joking…[/b]”

Morphia’s eyes lit up as she curtsied, “[b]Why Fonty, I thought you’d never ask![/b]”

An Almagest would never admit defeat, and Fauntleroy had learned from his father that some battles required a unique solution. When dealing with the Deacons such was the case; it would take all of Fauntleroy’s strength to keep his temper in check. That, and a little more champagne...[/size][/indent]

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Macey stood, and as she did, looked down at her newly torn skirt, then across the floor, then down back to her skirt again. Goodness knows exactly how she managed it, but the tulle and silk of her skirt had caught in the door, and now a good bit of her right leg was visible. Vincent raised an eyebrow, then politely turned his head to one side.[/i]

"Oh bother."

"Who knows. You may just start a new trend."

"In poor taste and improperly kept clothing? Of course if I do change my outfit, the headlines in tomorrow's society notes will read 'Macey Changes Dress Every Half-Hour While At Father's Birthday Celebration.'"

[i]Her expression vexed, Macey turned and jerked open the now somewhat broken doors and found one of her personal servants lingering in the curve of the wall. At the sight of her mistress, she curtsied and then went downstairs to the party, presumably to get Marie Evangeline's attention. Any fashion question went instantly to her more equipped and competent sister, and since Macey's servant knew trouble when she saw it, best to anticipate need. Vincent turned to Macey with a courtly bow.[/i]

"Will I see you later this evening? Perhaps for a dance?"

"I'd be delighted."

[i]Caught up in the spirit of jest and finally feeling a bit less glum, Macey held out her hand to Vincent and let him kiss it. Unbeknownst to them, one of the more gossipy servants saw, and quickly disappeared down the stairs as well. Macey let Vincent leave first, and then backtracked to her bedroom to find Eva there, wondering exactly how it was she had made it back first.[/i]

"So......? Did you bash his head into the bench?"

"No dear sister. I was nice."

"Well to each their own. But back to the serious issues. Get out of that skirt this instant. It's a disaster."

[i]Macey rolled her eyes at her sister's official tone. If she hadn't known better, she would've sworn that her sister felt a wardrobe malfunction her own personal responsibility. Eva swirled a new skirt down from one of the open chests she'd dragged into the middle of the room. Macey instantly glared at her sister with a jaundiced eye.[/i]

"It's not black. I'll have to change my entire outfit."

"You always wear black. Why not shake things up?"

"........ .......it's not black."

[i]Eva set her hands on her hips, with a perfectly good silver skirt draped over her wrist. The two stared at each other, unblinking, until Macey tossed her head with an audible sigh of resignation and began to untie her skirt. Eva grinned in triumph and helped her sister out of her black lace corset, pulling the ribbons quickly and efficiently, as her sister held out her arms carefully to make the job easier. Ten minutes later, the ensemble was pronounced complete, and Macey stood with her sister behind her, both staring into the full length mirror. Macey had to admit that in this color her skin no longer resembled that of a china doll's.[/i]

"...it's still not black."

"But at least you look alive again."

[i]Macey threw up her hands in frustration and swirled back towards the door, her sister bounding up next to her. Arm in arm, the two stepped down the hallway, across the foyer, and into the ballroom once more, their entrance noticed by virtually everyone with eyes. Perhaps it was because Macey no longer resembled a gothic bird of prey. Or because she and Eva nearly matched and looked more like twins than ever. But then again, it might've just been because both of them were gorgeous. Her Uncle Daedalus strode up to Macey from the dance floor as Eva slipped off to dance with one of the young officers of the Royal Guard.[/i]

"You look good in silver Macey. Brings out the color of-"

"If you complete that sentence, I will redecorate your brain with alchemy."

"Always a pleasure my dear. Won't you honor me with this next dance?"

[i]Macey narrowed her eyes at her Uncle for a moment, then let him take her hand and lead her down to the dance floor. Several heads turned, ones that hadn't seen her make a reappearance. Floating on the strength of her Uncle's rather impressive presence as well as the fact that she'd gotten her dreaded meeting with Vincent over, Macey was finally beginning to have a good time. And as she held up the hem of her skirt to avoid tripping, she smiled in a rare display of ivory teeth and a glitter of dark eyes flecked with red. Her Uncle let her spin around him, then drew her back for a dip and turn. Across the floor, she saw her sister doing much the same, albeit with a man at least 20 years younger than their Uncle Daedalus.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/leonhartavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
"[B][I]As well as one can be these days. But I hope you two enjoy the party. And for goodness sake Alexander. Loosen up. Nobody is going to cook you.[/I][/B]"

Alexander's eyes widened just a tiny bit at Macey Ellen's blunt statement, making him feel even more self conscious of how out of place he felt. And yet at the same time the statement was delivered without any trace of the usual sarcasm he was use to getting, giving him the impression that she sincerely meant him well.

"[B]Ah... Thank you.[/B]" He finally stammered. "[B]I appreciate the advice.[/B]"

"[B]There's no need to be so formal either.[/B]"

Alexander paused again and then made up his mind, deciding to take her words as intended and speak more freely. "[B]So how have you been?[/B]"

"[B]I was wondering that myself.[/B]" Alecia chimed in. "[B]I understand that you've been quite busy at Prometheo Labs.[/B]"

"[B]But of course, what with my new project and all. But really, I'm more interested in what you two are up to.[/B]"

Alexander couldn't help but be amazed at how easily Macey Ellen used only a word or two and yet steered the conversation to idle talk as to Alecia's and his work. And since she carefully steered clear of any mention of Vincent, who Alexander as a member of the Royal Police Guard was well aware would be attending the party, he too made a point of avoiding any mention of him.

Not that he would have anyway. Alexander's career was still in it's early stages but not so short that he didn't have first had experience in dealing with the inevitable fall out often caused by a divorce. The last thing he would ever do was to bring up something like that.

A moment later and Macey Ellen favored both of them with a sad smile. "[B]You're my favorite nephew Alexander, for being the very soul of tact in not bringing up pointless things.[/B]" And then with yet another sad smile Macey Ellen was gone.

[CENTER]-------------------------------------------------[/CENTER]
The rest of the evening continued to go smoothly, even though it was obvious that some of the guests did not care for Alexander. They would never openly say anything in front of Alecia but it didn't stop a handful of looks sent his way that were far from kind. To her credit, Alecia merely ignored them with all the grace and dignity of a member of the Almagest family, enough that before long, when it became apparent that they would get no reaction out of either one of them, those few who would create a scene if given a chance, merely moved on to other amusements.

If not for the horrible gift that had been delivered anonymously to Leonhart, Alexander could have probably managed to relax a bit. But even though he knew that the Almagest Estate would not be without it's own protection, it still weighed on his mind as he worried just a bit over who would send such a malicious gift. All thoughts of it were brushed aside as they finally found a moment to speak to Leonhart though.

"[B]Grandfather.[/B]" Alecia said warmly as she reached forward and kissed him on the right cheek. "[B]It's good to see you doing so well.[/B]"

"[B]Thank you for coming Alecia, Alexander.[/B]" Leonhart smiled a bit at the obviously happy couple before him. "[B]So how have the two of you been? I understand you've been quite vocal with your views for health care in High Czenoble Alecia.[/B]"

Alecia looked down, "[B]True grandfather, though I'd much rather discuss how your day has been.[/B]" As much as she loved her grandfather, Alecia did not want to get into the usual banter over their opposing views in regards to the treatment the citizens of High Czenoble received.

Leonhart just chuckled. "[B]You always were and still are a thoughtful and kind granddaughter.[/B]" He smiled when she looked back up at him. "[B]As much as I would enjoy one of our discussions, your reluctance only reminds me that there are those who would see it in the wrong light.[/B]"

Alecia gave him an impish grin. "[B]In other words they would use it as an excuse to claim you and I are fighting when both of us know that would be far from the truth.[/B]"

"[B]Well only in that it would not be a true fight.[/B]" Leonhart sighed a tiny bit. "[B]It is a pity since such a lively discussion would brighten my day.[/B]"

"[B]Then you should come to dinner sometime grandfather,[/B]" Alecia gave him a knowing look. "[B]We can argue to our hearts content without wagging tongues to overhear.[/B]"

Leonhart laughed. "[B]I'll have to take you up on that offer.[/B]" He turned to Alexander, "[B]In the meantime, you keep taking good care of my granddaughter.[/B]" He said with mock seriousness.

"[B]Of course sir.[/B]"

"[B]That just won't do.[/B]" Leonhart said sternly and yet kindly. "[B]Leonhart or grandfather will do just fine.[/B]"

"[B]Uh.. yes s... I mean grandfather.[/B]" Alexander stammered and then jumped slightly when Alecia elbowed him and indicated his right pocket where the gift they had brought was still residing.

With a slightly embarrassed smile he pulled out the small satchel and handed it to Leonhart who opened it, pulling out the small little booklet that upon opening, careful writing could be seen on each page. Each one a short little snippet or saying of either wisdom or humor that Alecia knew her grandfather was fond of quoting.

"[B]Now this is actually quite useful.[/B]" Leonhart said with a laugh. "[B]No more hunting to see just which book had what quote in it.[/B]" Which was something he often did when looking for a particular one. "[B]You must have gone to quite some trouble to have this made.[/B]"

Alecia just smiled, after all, she had a good memory for that sort of thing and other than to have someone carefully write in the pages since her handwriting though neat, was hardly elegant, it had actually required very little fuss.

"[B]Not at all grandfather,[/B]" She said mischievously, "[B]Finding something you would like is no trouble at all.[/B]" And then after a few more pleasantries were exchanged, her and Alexander returned to the rest of the party to make room for the next set of well wishers.

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/morphia-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/jackdeacon-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Jack leaned casually against a pillar, holding his fourth flute of champaigne. He'd gotten so used to liquor and moonshine that this little taste of alcohol had little if any effect on him. He was done pitching his new ship to possible investors and was instead trying to enjoy the rest of the evening. He watched the people dance in circles and thought to himself. This was their life, a neverending party. He couldn't help but think of all the other citizens, sleep in bed lest they want to wake up late for work. He looked around and spotted a familiar face, Meredyne Artemis.

[B]"Jonathan!"[/B] she exclaimed as he walked up to her, taking her hand and kissing it. [B]"Taking a break from pillaging and plundering to grace us with your presence I see. Oh, I forgot, you don't have a ship anymore." [/B]

[B]"Actually, I do. And I'd be delighted if you come with me for a mid day sail."[/B] replied Jack, smiling his easy smile.

[B]"I don't believe you."[/B]

[B]"You don't have to. Show up in my hangar tomorrow, I'll make it worth your time."[/B] Meredyne curtsied and left him. Jack knew she'd pass by, but pretend like she's too busy to have anything to do with him. But he knew how to work her heart, he always had. No sooner than this thought crossed his mind did Jack realize that Charles had walked in. He first looked at Meredyne, and then in the direction she came from. He and Jack locked eyes for a brief moment before Jack gave him a gentlemanly nod and walked off. No sooner than he began moving, Jack felt a jerk at his arm. He turned to find himself staring directly at his sister. [B]"Dance with me Jack!"[/B] she said grinning widely at her older brother. Jack immediately fell into step.

[B]"Where's that git Fonty at?"[/B] Jack asked as he and Morphia spun to a waltz.

[B]"Big brother that was ages ago, I think the dancing got to his stomach and he excused himself. I could not have been happier."[/B] she replied.

Jack looked down at her with a smile and thought back to when she was younger. The last time he saw her was when she was thirteen, and honestly he was surprised that she was so excited to see him. He didn't dare ask why, because he knew she had good reason to hold a grudge against him. [B]"Jack, what are you thinking about?"[/B] she asked, noticing the sparkle of imagination in his eyes.

Jack scrambled to think of an answer. [B]"Err...Did I ever tell you about the time I narrowly escaped the Royal Police Guard while smuggling yeast to the citizens of New Czenoble so that they could make bread?"[/B]

[B]"A thousand times over."[/B] replied Morphia rather dryly.

[B]"I've been here long enough to say it a thousand times?"[/B]

[B]"Trust me, it sticks as if you've said it that much."[/B] Morphia put her head against Jack's chest as a sign for him to be quiet. Jack looked around over her head at the other people in the hall, but one set of eyes caught his. That of his father.

After the dance concluded, Jack made his way over to him. On his way, he noticed Macey Ellen was directly in his path. As he passed he grazed her lower back ever so slightly, reaching his arm under her sleeve. He kept it brief, concealing the move by keeping is hand in motion and scratching his chin. The glittery fabric folded back into place as if he'd never touched her at all and with his ego in tow, Jack continued walking. As he approached his father, the same gruff, judgemental look he was so used to waited for him.

[B]"What in ruddy hell was that? Anyone could have seen you. Or better yet, she could have made a scene."[/B] said his father hastily, referring to Jack's touching of Macey Ellen.

[B]"Relax Father, I don't think she'll bite."[/B] said Jack. He could tell that his nonchalant attitude was annoying his Father. [B]"I'm surprised you're not shoving some beau's ring onto Morphia's finger right about now. You sure did for Bavaria."[/B]

His Father's face became a tone pinker. [B]"Boy, you know damn well you can't talk to me like that. After all you've put me and your family through. You're a shame to the name Deacon. And to think poor Morphia is even speaking to you. She cried for weeks after you ran off to fulfill your low-life fantasies. Its astonishing she's even speaking to you right now."[/B]

Jack's smile faded as he looked into his father's eyes. He didn't hate the man, no, he could never hate his own flesh and blood. Right now, though, he utterly disliked him. He looked around to see who was near before speaking. [B]"Sir, may I make a statement?"[/B]

[B]"Make your statement. And make it brief, I doubt we want to ruin each other's night."[/B] his father replied.

[B]"You will not judge me or what I do. And you will not force your will on my sister. You got lucky with Bavaria in the fact that she wanted to be a part of this bureaucratic nonsense. Morphia is a special case, as am I. I don't know maybe there's too much of you in us, but we can and will make our own choices. Is that understood?"[/B]

[B]"Let me make something clear Jonathan."[/B] he and his father were eye to eye right now, and any passerbys could see that things were taking a turn for the worst. Both of them knew better, but the arrogance and strong will of Jack's father, which he inherited, could not be hidden in hallways and behind closed doors and both of them never backed down easy from a challenge. [B]"[I]You[/I] will not corrupt my daughter. You did once, filling her head with ideas of airships and adventures, and you know what that did to her. I don't know why you're back, and word is you're here to stay, but do us all a favor and leave as soon as possible." [/B]

[B]"Gee, father. I guess I love you too."[/B] the two turned from each other to face opposite sides of the ball. Jack's smile was once again on his face and Agron was just as jovial as he'd been before speaking to his son. Jack, by chance, caught Macey Ellen's eye and winked at her. She turned around again as if she hadn't noticed.

Jack took another fleeting glance at his father before stepping back into the thick of things.

[I]A lone man in the watchtower of Artemis Air Transports sat patiently, wishing his shift were over. He'd been waiting for an hour for some mystery ship to pull in. One whose hangar rental ticket read 'J. Deacon'. It was speculated that this ship was one of the infamous Jack Deacon, but he already had a ship docked in the station, albeit busted beyond repair. His particular hangar could fit two vessels, but the general idea was that pirates only operated one ship, especially small time ones like Deacon. No sooner than he had this thought a figure came darting out of the horizon. It was fast, and small also, probably only needed a small crew. As it drew closer, it looked as if it were going to crash into the hangar, but instead it stopped midair and gently hovered in. The watchtower employee looked on and noticed that it was heading into Jack Deacon's hangar. He thought about it, but then chuckled as he realized. Deacon wouldn't bust up a ship if he didn't have one waiting for him.

It was quite beautiful, resembling a swan. The large aircraft, the watchman noticed, had few if any sails, and no baloons to keep it afloat in the air. This would of course mean that it was heavier than air. It also had no propellors on its small frame, which left the watchman to also wonder how it moved. There was no steam, smoke, or even heat waves coming off of it. It was like a painting come alive.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/crushgoil/Hurt%20and%20Heal/Gamespot%20Blog/RW-small-airship2.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

As he prepared to end his shift, he saw a group of men walk past him holding what looked like long scrolls of blue prints and projector slides. They also carried suitcases and luggage sacks which were embroided with the name Deacon Group on them. Whoever they were, they were indeed affiliated with Jack Deacon, but to what extent he could not tell...[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Moving through the steps of the waltz with surprising grace for a man of his unusual size, Daedalus took a moment to survey his niece. Macey looked every inch her usual impeccable self, a flawless beauty, very much like her departed mother, but her dark eyes belied an exhaustion uncommon even among the Almagest clan. Few would have noticed, as she had managed to mask the tiredness almost completely, but for Daedalus, the most workaholic prone Almagest since Celsius himself, it was born of decades of looking into a mirror.

"[b]You look overworked my dear.[/b]" He dipped her elegantly to the rhythm of the music.

"[b]You're one to talk Uncle.[/b]" There was a tone of mischief in her voice, reflected by the small smirk on her face. "[b]How poor Aunt Harriot puts up with you I should never know.[/b]"

With the quick twirl, the pair were once again moving across the dance floor, to avoid giving anyone the chance to eavesdrop on the conversation. He simply smiled at the girl's witty retort, indeed, she was quite correct, Harriet was perhaps the most giving, loving woman he had ever met, the very fact that they had been married for over fifty years without incident was as much proof that she had the patience of a saint. Something she certainly needed when married to Daedalus.

"[b]Perhaps you should ask her, I simply accept my good fortune without hesitation. But that aside Macey dear, I am merely concerned about your health. As you quite aptly stated, I'm better aware of the effects of overworking than you are.[/b]"

"[b]Thank you, but I'm sure you also know how caught up you can get in personal projects.[/b]"

Daedalus raised an eyebrow, he was not aware of the details of Macey-Ellen's latest project, though she had a vested interest in the more... biological end of alchemy, something which disappointed him greatly, she had far too much talent to waste it on such a mediocre area of the arts. Of course so many of his so-called scientific peers would disagree with him, telling him his field of view was too narrow, fools.

"[b]All too well, I recall one particular incident, in which I believed I had spent four days in my lab continuously working, when in reality, I had spent nearly two weeks. Needless to say, I required some minor medical treatment for exhaustion and dehydration.[/b]"

"[b]Oh, you mean the time father threatened to kill for nearly killing yourself ?[/b]" Her own eyebrow was cocked in a similar expression of curiosity. Daedalus merely coughed awkwardly.

"[b]Yes, well, it was simply a minor oversight on my part.[/b]"

Macey's short laugh was musical, and reminded him very much of Patrice, and even his own mother to a degree. The two simply continued to dance quietly, listening to the soft tones of the music playing around them.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Victoria Ann was bored. Now that the party was in full swing and the night was progressing, like at any party, the adults were becoming more and more [I]relaxed[/I] as they often did after having [I]too much[/I]. It was amusing since she found it rather silly, but still, after a while it was no fun and it was too soon for her to admit that she was feeling tired. After all, she was eleven! Not some baby that needed to go to bed already like Bertram and Pearl.

She was wondering what to do when she noticed Harrison taking advantage of the fact that most of the adults were occupied to slip out of the Grand Hall. With a smirk she took off and followed him as he made a beeline for his room, slipped in and reemerged with his sword strapped on.

"[B]Sneaking out again?[/B]" She asked him as he came back out, giggling at how he nearly tripped over his own feet as he whirled in surprise at the sound of her voice.

"[B]Would you get lost already?[/B]" Harrison replied with more than just a note of exasperation in his voice.

Victoria Ann just rolled her eyes at him. "[B]Oh come on Harrison! You're suppose to be older and smarter than me! Unless you plan on climbing over the walls, there's no way you'll get past all of the servants. Besides, where would you go anyway? It's too late to really do anything.[/B]"

"[B]Not too late for one of them to come and fetch me in my room.[/B]" Harrison pointed out.

"[B]True.[/B]" Victoria said slowly and then smirked. "[B]That's what you get for sneaking out all the time. They won't believe you if you say your tired and ready for bed.[/B]"

Harrison just turned and stalked off, heading towards the exit anyway, ignoring Victoria Ann who raced to keep up. That is until the got to the main door leading out into the courtyard where the main gates were. True to what Victoria had said there were far too many servants and security for him to slip past.

"[B]Great.[/B]" Harrison muttered to himself.

"[B]You know,[/B]" Victoria spoke up. "[B]If you really want to do something fun, we could always sneak into the garage where all the cars are parked.[/B]"

"[B]Are you stupid?[/B]" Harrison asked her. "[B]They won't let either one of us in there. Even your precious Uncle Fonty won't let you near one of his cars.[/B]"

"[B]I know, but look![/B]" She pointed to some of the servants at the gate. "[B]They've got even the servants who tend to that part of the Estate helping out. It's the perfect chance to sneak in and take a look! I've always wanted to get inside Uncle Fonty's car![/B]"

Harrison just chuckled at the sight of the servants, "[B]You're right pest.[/B]" He turned and went back down the hallway towards where the cars were kept. Unwilling to admit that Victoria's idea was a good one. And sure enough once they got there, only a single servant was in the area. He turned to face Victoria who was waiting patiently for him to make the next move.

"[B]You determined to sneak in? Remember, you'll get in just as much trouble as I will if they catch us.[/B]" He pointed out.

Victoria just giggled. "[B]No I won't, I'll just tell them it was your idea.[/B]"

"[B]Even if you said otherwise, they'd blame me anyway.[/B]" Harrison said with a sigh. "[B]Anyway, which car is Fonty's?[/B]" Victoria Ann pointed to one of the vehicles further into the garage. "[B]Right, well then, don't go and trip over your own feet, got it?[/B]"

Victoria nodded and then suppressing the urge to giggle some more, she hunched down and sneaked from car to car, hiding behind them to keep the single servant in the area from noticing them. In no time they were finally to the car in question. She tested the doors, finding one of the back one's unlocked. Slowly she opened it and both of them crawled into the back seat, and with a small commotion, Harrison shut it at the same time someone else in the garage closed a car door.

The inside of the car was quite elaborate with plush leather seating and shiny panels of a substance that Victoria was unfamiliar with. "[B]Wow! This is really cool![/B]" She said as she moved to crawl into the front seat.

"[B]Don't do that fool![/B]" Harrison hissed at her, grabbing her tunic and pulling her back. "[B]Look![/B]" He pointed to the doors leading to where the party was. A group of party goers, most likely on their way home had entered the garage.

Both of them hunched down quickly to avoid being seen, Victoria covering her mouth to muffle the giggles as well as a couple of yawns. "[B]Once they're gone we can finish checking out the car.[/B]" She said as another yawn caught up with her. She looked up just enough to see out, missing that Harrison was also hiding a yawn himself.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Macey giggled like a schoolgirl and swept by Mr. Deacon as the dance drew to its close. He quickly and quietly slipped a hand under her sleeve to draw a finger across her lower back and then was gone, the movement missed by virtually everyone. Her spine contracted slightly, and then she relaxed when she realized that nobody had noticed. With a toss of her head, she returned her attention to her Uncle Daedalus and smiled prettily.[/i]

"That wasn't so bad now, was it?"

"Hardly dear niece. It's always good to see you having a good time."

"Do I look like I am? I was under the impression everyone thought I was two steps away from suicide."

"Perhaps earlier, but not now."

[i]She shrugged her shoulders carelessly and turned and curtsied in the same movement as the waltz ended. Standing next to her Uncle, she clapped with the rest of the crowd, then turned and nearly tripped over Vincent's feet. He caught her hand and steadied her in an instant, giving her a reassuring smile. Heart racing, Macey smoothed down her skirt and breathed a sigh of relief.[/i]

"I'm dreadfully sorry. I didn't see you there."

"No harm done."

[i]He gestured to her for one more dance, while she looked over her shoulder at Uncle Daedalus. The somewhat imposing man gazed at Vincent impartially, his expression closed and unreadable, then he gave Macey Ellen a brief smile and disappeared into the crowd with surprising ease. She turned and smiled at Vincent carefully, aware once more of everyone's attention drifting towards the pair of them. Deliberately, slowly, she let him take her hand and lead her into the position for the next dance. He placed his left hand just above her waist and she placed hers at his shoulder. Once the music began, she found it easier to ignore their audience. Vincent spoke, keeping his voice low enough to carry only to her.[/i]

"I was thinking your Uncle might refuse to let you dance with me."

"Doubtful, he's a big softie underneath it all."

"If you say so Macey."

"I do in fact."

[i]He turned her carefully around him, as she lifted the hem of her skirt so it fluttered properly at the next phrase of music. Her sister was there as well, dancing with a somewhat more relaxed looking Alexander. Halfway through Eva waved to Macey enthusiastically and her twin smirked back. Attention back on Vincent, she allowed him to lead her through the steps flawlessly.[/i]

"I take it you and Beatrice have been keeping up with your practices."

"Every day we can. It's a pleasant distraction."

[i]Vincent dipped her lightly back and then swung her back around to stand quite close to him, so close that she could feel the heat of his body against hers. With a nearly imperceptible shake of her head, she banished the sensation that came from that and paid attention to him once more. As the dance wound down to its close, she turned and the pair ended it perfectly. As he bowed her a good evening, she curtsied back and he smiled at her with a hint of amusement.[/i]

"I do hope we can do this again some time."

"It would be my pleasure."[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alexanderedward-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/alecialeanna-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/catherinesaraavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Alecia carefully stifled a yawn as she glanced at one of the time pieces on the closest wall. It wasn?t quite late yet, but both her and Alexander had already had a very long day with work and though she would wish it otherwise, she was starting to feel quite tired. She kept it well hidden from the other guests but not Alexander who leaned over and spoke in a near whisper.

?[B]Unless it would be considered rude, perhaps we should call it a night and head home?[/B]?

She looked up and favored him with a smile. ?[B]No it would not be considered rude and though I would have liked to have spoken with more of my relatives, I do need to be up early for work tomorrow.[/B]?

?[B]It?s settled then,[/B]? Alexander took her arm in his and together they headed for the doors leading out of the Grand Hall. They were almost there when they came across Catherine Sara who had just finished talking with someone else. Upon seeing both of them she moved to intercept both of them with a smile.

?[B]I?m pleased to see that you youngsters have common sense.[/B]?

?[B]Common sense?[/B]? Alexander asked her confused as to what she meant, a remark that caused Alecia to chuckle a bit.

?[B]She?s referring to sensibly calling it a night instead of partying into the early hours of the night.[/B]? Alecia explained. ?[B]A smart student is a rested student.[/B]? She quoted a saying that Catherine was known for.

?[B]You are quite correct.[/B]? Catherine said with a smile. ?[B]Not that relaxing and having a good time doesn?t serve a purpose, but at the same time it?s good to know when you?ve reached your limits.[/B]?

?[B]Thank you Catherine.[/B]? Alecia said as she leaned forward to give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. ?[B]We enjoyed the party very much.[/B]?

?[B]Yes, thank you.[/B]? Alexander said with a small formal bow, a gesture to which Catherine laughed a bit.

?[B]Goodness, there?s no need to be so formal, I assure you. Now off with the two of you.[/B]? She said kindly before heading off to attend to yet another guest.

Both of them watched Catherine as she moved off and smoothly interjected herself into other gatherings, going from group to group as she tastefully made sure that everyone was enjoying themselves and that any potential disagreements were nipped in the bud.

?[B]She?s really quite amazing,[/B]? Alexander finally said when they turned and left, pausing only long enough for one of the servants to fetch Alecia?s cloak.

?[B]She is.[/B]? Alecia said once Alexander had helped her into her cloak and it was fastened. ?[B]She?s a fantastic teacher as well. I only hope she?s still teaching when we finally have our own children.[/B]?

?[B]Ah? yes.[/B]? Alexander finally replied. ?[B]She teaches at Chaos right?[/B]?

Alecia nodded as they lazily strode through the nearly empty street on their way back to their small home. It was a clear night out and the soft breeze from earlier was now a bit more stiff and chilly. Alexander walked with his left arm around her shoulders and the two of them simply walked home in silence enjoying the peaceful night. A short while later they were home and the two of them discussed their plans for the next day while they got ready for bed.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[indent][size=1][center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/charlesavatar.jpg[/img][/center]
The evening was drawing to a close, and many of the guests were beginning to leave. Fauntleroy was growing tired himself, not only of the pomp and circumstance surrounding the evening but also of his father’s disapproval. The two had passed one another at least a dozen times in the Great Hall without exchanging a single word, and while most of the party guests were oblivious to this snub it was slowly driving the young Almagest insane.

Fauntleroy was pacing on the balcony when he noticed his nephew Charles enter from the Grand Hall. The two exchanged a nod, and Fauntleroy noticed that the man looked even more unhappy than he did.

“[b]Is everything alright, Charles?[/b]” he said as he leaned against a large stone gargoyle. The two were never very close, but Fauntleroy had always taken sympathy to the young widower.

“[b]I’m doing alright, I suppose,[/b]” Charles muttered as he took a sip of champagne, “[b]I always feel like such an outcast when I attend these functions.[/b]”

Fauntleroy nodded, “[b]I assure you that it’s not any better from the inside looking out. When did you get back in High Czenoble?[/b]”

“[b]Just an hour or so ago. I was hoping to spend some time with Bertram and Pearl before the evening began, but once again I found myself running late.[/b]”

“[b]Perhaps tomorrow then?[/b]

“[b]I’ll be in High Czenoble for the next few days. I’m hoping to take them to the Dynast Zoo, since Pearl love animals so much...[/b]”

“[b]I’m not sure if she does anymore, actually. She walks around Rosengard in a lab coat pretending to be a potionist, like her Aunt Alecia.[/b]”

“[b][I]Oh,[/I][/b]” Charles replied, “[b]It’s amazing how much can change in only a few short weeks, isn’t it?[/b]”

The two stood in silence as they looked out at the gardens below.

“[b]What did you end up getting your father for his birthday, Fauntleroy?[/b]”

"[b]I’d like to think my presence is simply enough. And you?[/b]”

“[b]Nothing, actually. Beatriste handed me the most beautiful silver box I had ever seen and I gave it to him… I’m not even sure what it was for, but he seemed to like it well enough,[/b]” Charles said with a heavy sigh, “[b]Elizabeth was always so much better at these sorts of things. It seems like only yesterday that the three of us were standing here during Leonhart’s 60th birthday celebration.[/b]”

“[b]Yes. We seem to do a lot of hiding at these functions, don’t we?[/b]”

Charles nodded and the two men laughed.

Fauntleroy raised his glass, “[b]To the balcony?[/b]”

“[b]And to Leonhart Almagest. For without him, we wouldn’t have a balcony to hide on.[/b]”

"[b]Cheers.[/b]"

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/beatrist-chronicle.jpg[/img] [img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/henryavatar.jpg[/img][/center]
[right][font=garamond][size=4][b]Flight[/b][/right][/font][/size]
Fauntleroy awoke the next morning to find Rosengard as clean and as beautiful as ever. The servant staff had worked tirelessly overnight removing any mess that the party had created. In fact, the only reminder Fauntleroy could find of the night before was his dull, lingering headache.

He rubbed his forehead as he dressed for the day’s work. After neglecting to write his article the night before no doubt his editors at The Chronicle would want to speak with him. He was about to exit his bedroom when he noticed a small wooden camera sitting in his nightstand. A small note was attached: “[I]I found Mother’s camera while going through some of her things. Maybe you can use it. - Beatriste.[/I]” Fauntleroy already had a camera, a very expensive one, but he tossed the antique into his bag and headed downstairs for a late breakfast.

Sitting around the dining room table were his sisters Eva and Beatriste, gossiping to one another about the night before as they enjoyed their meal. At the other end of the table was Henry, quietly reading the latest issue of The Chronicle.

“[b]Good morning, Fonty![/b]” Eva said cheerfully as she summoned a kitchen servant with a small bell, “[b]We were wondering when you would get up.[/b]”

Fauntleroy sat down at the table and poured himself a cup of coffee, “[b]I must have gotten to bed later than I realized… where is everyone?[/b]”

Beatriste sighed, “[b]Father and Macey left for work early this morning, and Aunt Catherine volunteered to show the new Headmaster of Chaos around the campus. She must have taken Victoria Ann with her because she was gone when I woke up.[/b]”

A servant placed an enormous tray of food before Fauntleroy. He grabbed a single bagel and waved his hand dismissively at the rest, “[b]And what are you up to today, Eva?[/b]”

“[b]I’m going with you to New Czenoble.[/b]”

Fauntleroy’s eyes widened, “[b]Excuse me?[/b]”

“[b]You got a wire this morning, Fauntleroy,[/b] Henry said as he thumbed through the pages of the newspaper, “[b]The Chronicle doesn’t sound very pleased with you, and they want you to go back to New Czenoble to cover today’s rally.[/b]”

“[b]Ugh, as if anyone cares what the factory workers have to say,[/b]” he replied crudely, “[b]Isn‘t there any real news happening in Czenovia today?[/b]”

“[b]It won’t be too bad, Fonty. Besides, father wants me to keep an eye on the Magitech factories. The last thing he wants is for production to be slowed down by these protests.[/b]”

“[b]Very well,[/b]” Fauntleroy said, “[b]Henry, can you get someone to ready one of my steamcars? It’s such a lovely day out, we’ll have an airship ferry us down the mountain so that we can drive ourselves...[/b]”

Henry tossed his newspaper against the table in anger, “[b]I’m not one of your servants, Fauntleroy. You can get the damned carriage yourself![/b]

Beatriste stirred her coffee as Henry stormed out, “[b]You shouldn’t be so hard on the boy, Fonty. You know he’s just as much your family as Anna is.[/b]”

“[b]That’s a conversation for another day, dear sister. Now let’s get going, Eva. We have a long day ahead of us.[/b]”

Eva nodded, “[b]Yes, let’s.[/b]”

“[b]Well they both certainly have their father’s temper…[/b]” Beatriste mused as Fauntleroy and Eva left the room. She pulled Henry’s newspaper in front of her and took a sip of her coffee, “[b]It seems that I’m all by myself today… perhaps now I can finally get some rest.[/b]”

[center][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/landmark02-chronicles.jpg[/IMG]
[font=garamond][size=4][b]Landmark 02[/b][/font][/size][/center][/size][/indent]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Georgia"]When Gadget came to, he didn't know if it was day or night. He still wasn't sure where the dark people had taken him and the other boys, but from what he had gathered during the fleeting moments of clarity, they were being experimented on. [I]Specimen 071[/I]... Was it him?

Gadget tried to move his limbs, but soon realized that he had been bound to the bed he laid in. He slowly lifted his eyelids, but a light as bright as the sun made him quickly close them again. After a few attempts, he grew accustomed to the light, and saw that it was nothing but a simple lightbulb hanging from the ceiling.

He could hear beeping and humming sounds coming from behind him, but he couldn't turn his head to see what they were because of the restrictive belt around his neck. He managed to lift his head so that he saw his bare body, and the dozens of thin metal pipes stuck under his skin, each of them leading to the machine behind him.

He could also see the small room he was in: dark stone walls, no windows, only one metal door leading out of it. No furniture besides the bed he was in and a small table on the opposite wall with several vials of strange glowing substance and a few injection needles.

Gadget realized what had caused the pain and the bright flashes in his mind: during his stay there he had been injected with whatever was in those vials. But he didn't understand how he had been allowed to wake up. How come no one had come in and given him another injection?

Whatever the reason was, Gadget knew that this could be his only chance of escape. He had to save the others too, although something in the back of his head told him that it would be too late for them.

And what about [I]her[/I]? What about the female voice who kept calling him her "treasure"? She must've been the one who had injected him. But she had been so kind to him! Nothing made sense to him anymore.

Suddenly he could hear steps coming from the other side of the door. He knew that he probably should not have been awake, so he quickly put his head back down and closed his eyes.

The door creaked open, and several people entered the small room.[/FONT]

[RIGHT][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/leonhartavatar.jpg[/IMG][/RIGHT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]I woke up after the party, feeling moderately refreshed, if mildly sore from the unnatural position I'd slept in. For some reason I had woken up under a pile of pillows that weren't there before, and there was a twinge in my lower back. Maybe it was because after my dance with Vincent, a line of single young males from New Czenoble, sensing potential glamour and a chance to touch the famous me all clamored for dances of their own.

Oh what's the point anyway. I stood and lumbered down the hall in a daze of mild headache and general ache when I stopped for a moment and stared at the mirror. A dull haze of flush spread across my cheeks and I slowly began to remember what was coming. Father. Labs. Specimen 071. Drat. Moving quickly now, I shed my nightgown and headed for the bathroom, my servant drawing a bath while I picked out an appropriate dress and a clean lab coat. Settling on a cream colored dress and a dove colored underdress, I bathed myself quickly, scrubbing away the scents from last night, replacing them all with the smells of roses and lavender. As I stepped out, Gennie, my virtual nurse, held out a thick white towel to wrap me in.[/i]

"Was the party a pleasant experience for you?"

"Oh don't pretend like you haven't heard it all from the others Gennie. It had its moments of both good and bad as you well know."

[i]She smiled at me with a flash of wickedness while she helped dress me, her fingers flying as quickly as mine. I pounded down an apple by way of breakfast as Gennie twisted my hair up in an elaborate knot, fastening it carefully with the usual pins. I stepped across my own threshold, towards the general life of the family, dressed like the usual scientist, perhaps with just a slightly better hairstyle. My father waited for me at the bottom of the stairs, but fortunately I wasn't as late as I was fearing. Leonhart held out his arm to me after we'd slowly made our way to the docks where the family airship was berthed. I let him lead me up the stairs, as he maintained a stream of steady, bright conversation.[/i]

"You did well at the party last night Macey dear."

"And everyone thought you were wonderful. Was there much hero worship"

"No more than the usual amount I should think."

[i]I giggled behind an upraised hand. My father was so modest, at least when around me. I'm sure he had to play pompous businessman in front of others, but that didn't matter so much.[/i]

"Today I have a bit of a marvel to show you Father."

"Marvelous? Are you sure you're not exaggerating?"

"I'm positive. I hope you really do like it though. I've worked on it now for months."

"And you look as tired as Daedalus at the end of one of his massive projects."

[i]A wry grin was the best I could manage there. I didn't think I was overworked. Not that I hadn't thrown myself into this project to escape unhappiness, but at the same time, I love my work. I always have. Perhaps I loved it more than I loved Vincent. As the airship took the skies, I leaned back in my seat and closed my eyes. I hated flying.[/i][/FONT][/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/jackavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
[COLOR="Olive"][SIZE="1"][I]So in the end, in order to streamline the building process as well as cut down costs, we should start building airships through assembly. It is unattractive, I realize, to have a great number of identical ships in the sky, but the need for better public transportation is apparent. In the state that we are in, the general public has to beg for rides at the airship owner's behest and price. Because of this, they can not hope to visit other lands without paying a lifetime's worth in boarding costs and other fees.
[CENTER][IMG]http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/fs7.deviantart.com/i/2005/217/d/9/Super_Airship_Plus_by_The_Necromancer.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
I once spoke to a foreign woman whose father was on his deathbed. She and her husband took out their savings to send her alone to her home country to see they dying man. Upon arriving at the airstation, she was told that her money would not pay for even a one way trip to her home country. Before she even had time to weep, she was whisked away by one of the ship's crewmen to a private room and told what she had to do to get on that ship. Knowing that it was the only way to see her father, she lifted up her dress and let the crewman inside of her.

Months later she felt her belly swelling, and with no money to return home and her father long dead and gone, the woman had not an ounce of luck left. She did not want to come back to Czenovia, as she felt her husband whom she loved dearly would surely never take her and her bastard child into his home. So she lived in her home country, sifting through trash for food and hiding under stairs and in alleys for shelter. As she went into labor, one cold and wet night in the alley, a priest arrived and arranged for her to have her child in his church, safe and away from the gutters of the alley. She named him James after her husband.

No sooner than the child was born, the priest came to the poor woman and told her of a place for her. A young man's wife died in childbirth, and in order for his baby to survive, it needed a woman's milk. She took this young man's offer and went to live with him in his house. There she played the role of nanny and mother to both of their children. His child, however, always got first meal. As a result, his child grew up strong and healthy, whereas poor James the bastard grew sickly and was ill for much of his young life.

Eventually, the young man and woman became more than borders and fell in love and soon wanted to be married. The woman felt guilty though, and decided to come back to Czenovia and face her estranged husband to seek a divorce. She owed him that much. So she and her new lover decided to put their money together and get her and her son back to Czenovia. The problem once again arose where the prices were too high, and once again she was whisked away into a private room by an airman. This time however, the Airman promised her a round trip and told her to keep her money. He whisked her away so that his crew would not know that she was boarding for free, and he tampered with the ship's logs to show that she had paid. I know this story because I was that airman, and I decided from that day on that people shouldn't have to go what she went through just because air-fare is too high.
[CENTER][IMG]http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs12/300W/i/2006/273/5/5/Fantasy___style_Airship_by_Claevius.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Here is my proposed ship. I've designed it to be produced quickly and easily repairable. This comes by making each part in separate factories and thusly making each airship built exactly like the next. The cost of production will be inherently lower, and by association the cost to board will be reduced. Cheap inter-regional/inter-continental travel for anyone who wants it. The ships will be able to hold at least 150 people each and travel at a constant speed of 90mph. One may argue that this is unprofitable, but if more people are travelling, then more profit can be made. A plan like this will also undermind the monopoly which is Artemis Air Transports. AAT has long been stunting innovation, but now the common man as well as those who want AAT out have a fighting chance...
[/I]

Jack looked up from the typewriter and let out a long yawn. Checking his watch he remember that he was going to meet his sister at the tracks that day. She had left before dawn and Jack had lost track of time while typing his book, [I]The State of the Skies[/I]. He looked to the side at the sketchbook which held his designs and drawings. Yawning once again, Jack decided to raise up and get ready for his trek to the track.

OOC: Something I was itching to put down on paper, it deviates, but at the same time is in place.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[center][img]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/vincentavatar.jpg[/img][/center]

"Please, help me..."

"Protect me."

"I love you..."

Vincent's eyes snapped open. His room was still dark. Thin rays of light slipped through the blinds and danced across the ornate furniture in the bedroom.

With a groan, Vincent stood up and flicked a small lever on the wall. Pulleys in the corners of the room came to life and the curtains lazily rolled open, revealing the vast, bustling city beyond. From here, Vincent could see almost everything: the famous Clockwork Lane shopping district, the Chimaera stables and, further in the distance, a grand palace sitting majestically above the city.

The party had been better than Vincent had expected. He'd had the chance to speak with Leonhart and, most surprisingly, he had in some small measure found peace with Macey. No doubt it would be a long time before he could feel completely comfortable with his ex-wife again, but they had made a strong beginning. No matter what, she was still important to him and he knew that he would do anything for her.

Vincent grabbed the robe from the back of a large armchair near his bed and put it on. And then, his phone rang.

The phone sat on the opposite side of the bedroom, atop a small wooden writing desk. The writing desk had been a gift from his father when he moved to Czenovia. And the phone was a classic Anovan model. Its large, circular receiver sat on top of a tall and slender column, with an elaborately decorated base. The entire phone was made from pure silver.

Vincent sat at the desk and put the receiver to his ear. It was his father, Olivier.

'Sorry if I've woken you,' were his first words. 'I wanted to make sure you weren't feeling too sorry for yourself after all those drinks!'

Vincent grinned to himself. 'I'm fine, thanks. I did not drink much last night.'

'Did you have a good time?'

'Yes,' said Vincent. He paused slightly before continuing. 'Leonhart was sorry you were unable to attend.'

'Ah yes,' said Olivier, 'I have been extremely busy lately. Business is difficult right now.'

'Why?' asked Vincent. The Achard family business had always run exceedingly smoothly under Olivier's presidency.

'Have you checked your newspaper?'

Vincent looked over his desk and rummaged through its papers. The newspaper was sitting near the edge. Audrey must have dropped it in earlier in the morning.

He lifted it up and glanced over the front page. Sure enough, there he saw it: "Tensions Continue to Rise Between Czenovia and Old Globe Nations"

'What does this have to do with the family business?'

Olivier sighed. 'These days, son, we export many products to Czenovia. Didn't you know that Anovan Silver is one of the most sought-after items in Clockwork Lane? It is becoming an increasingly important part of our business.'

Vincent nodded, even though Olivier could not see him. 'I see.'

'And,' Olivier continued, 'something has changed recently. There is more security on the border. The Czenovian authorities are quarantining objects all over the place. They are checking everything and slowing down trade. They seem to be worried about something.'

'But that's ridiculous!' cried Vincent. 'Nothing dangerous would come from Anova.'

'Yes, well, we know that, don't we?' said Olivier. He sounded tired.

'I will see about this at work,' said Vincent. 'There must be an explanation. Commander Rosier is sure to know.'

'I don't want you getting yourself into trouble,' said Olivier. 'You are the Assistant Commander now. You are loyal to Czenovia. Do not make trouble.'

Vincent grinned to himself again. His father never asked for favors. He knew that somehow his father would deal with the issue the best way he could. He never needed help.

'Okay,' said Vincent finally. 'Business as usual.'

'That's the way,' said Olivier. 'By the way, when are you coming to see me?'

Vincent laughed. 'As soon as I get a day off!'

Olivier chuckled over the phone. He had a deep, husky laugh that was unmistakable. 'I will see you soon, son. Goodbye.'

[center][IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/morphiaavatar.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/henryavatar.jpg[/IMG][/center][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]The day was not going to be a good one. Morphia sighed as one of the servants handed her a hot cloth dampened with rosewater. She held it to her forehead, lightly wiping the dust away from her face. The day, which had dawned bright and clear, was now slightly gray as clouds began to gather. There was already too much moisture in the air, and the dampness had affected her reptilian creature in an unhelpful way, making Fervus sluggish and ill-tempered. Not only that, but Jonathan was still absent? She herself had been at the Circuit since 4 a.m. that morning, prepping herself for the races and taking care of Fervus.

The two heats that she had been in had allowed her to qualify for the finals, but they definitely had not been enjoyable races. The beast had been jumpy and impetuous, almost costing her a place in one of the races. When they had crossed the finish line the stable hands had taken Fervus from her immediately, knowing her temper would be on the rise. All of the regular servants knew her moods ? taking the beast from her probably saved it from a lot of unnecessary pain.

Morphia snapped at one of hands, who immediately brought her a personal kit of tools and clothes. Wiping her hands off on the cloth before tossing it away, she slowly peeled off her boots, one which had been ripped when another rider?s beast had tripped and almost taken her down with them. She took out an extra pair, made of supple brown calf-skin that slid up easily to mid-thigh. Stalking to the stall where Fervus was currently being held, she watched with contempt as the beast threw off the stable hands who were currently attempting to remove the saddle and clean the creature.

[b]?Get away from him,?[/b] she said, her voice cutting through the dust. The others obeyed immediately, relieved to get away from the rowdy reptilian creature. Morphia snapped her whip, and Fervus eyed her warily in his cat-like gaze, sensing her thunderous mood. Oh, she did want to beat him so very badly?but instead she set down the whip and walked over, removing the saddle roughly and hanging it on one of the pegs on the wall. The beast drew away from her, crouching and growling in the corner. Morphia?s breathe hissed out, [b]?Fervus, come here.?[/b] Despite it being a great deal larger and very able to disembowel her with its vicious talons, Morphia held no fear of it. Instead, Fervus?s behavior was only serving to piss her off even more. Footsteps alerted her to company,

[b]?Tch tch, Morphia, the poor thing is terrified of you. How do you even manage to ride such a beast??[/b] Henry said as he entered uninvited, his smile as charming as ever.

Morphia sighed again, [b]?Did you just arrive, Henry? I?m afraid that all my races for the day are finished?no thanks to this ?poor thing.??[/b]

The young man said nothing, only taking the oil and cloth from Morphia?s hands as he walked towards Fervus. Murmuring quietly he began to clean the beast?s scales, and slowly the growling subsided into a relaxed breathing. He offered another cloth to Morphia, [b]?See? Such a foul temper does not suit such a pretty face ? even your creature agrees with me.?[/b]

Sullenly she took the cloth and followed Henry?s lead. It was the first time they had actually even spoken at the Circuit; she realized that she didn?t even know what chimaera Henry kept. Polishing Fervus?s scales, despite the work Morphia found herself looking every so often towards the entrance, looking for Jack?s familiar figure. [i]I?m sure that he told me he was coming?[/i] Unless?could it be possible that he had left again?

Henry interrupted her thoughts, [b]?Waiting for someone??[/b]

[b]?No, of course not,?[/b] Morphia replied a little too quickly, schooling her grim expression into one more pleasant. Still, she could not get rid of the dreadful feeling that Jack had left her? [i]No, it cannot be. He wouldn?t do such a thing?but where in the world is he?[/i] She sat silently, her emotions matching the gray clouds that gathered outside in the opening of the day.

[b]"Well, I'll be off then. Do come and watch if you're not otherwise occupied,"[/b] Henry said finally as he stood. There was no jesting today - he felt her mood quite clearly.

Morphia nodded, [b]"Good luck in your races."[/b] She felt a little relieved when the young man left her and Fervus, but at the same time wished he had stayed to distract her growing dread that Jack was not going to show up at all.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1] [right][img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/Minneymin/henryavatar.jpg[/img][/right]

Henry's smile betrayed nothing that he was truly feeling, what was running through his head. His outburst at Fauntleroy from earlier that morning, his splitting headache from the night before, the distinct butterflies fluttering around his stomach.

His brief encounter with Morphia had been something of a relief from his 'inner turmoil', as it were, despite her rather chilly disposition towards him. Her chimaera had been extremely intimidating, exceeding even the size of Henry's own formidable beast. He wondered to himself what could make such a beautiful girl so angry, so bitter. He had seen Fevrus's mistake, the one that had almost cost Morphia, but he knew this sort of pressure could make even the most experienced crack.

But any sort of compassion quickly disappeared for now, as he remembered how she had treated him the night before, and from there, how Fauntleroy had [i]always[/i] treated him. Though he could never, ever reveal it to anyone, most of all himself, Fauntleroy had always been the one Almagest Henry strove to impress. He, Beatriste, Macey Ellen and Eva had all been treated as siblings, grew up as so. Beatriste had a sort of indifference towards him, as she was the oldest, but showed some affection towards the young man. The twins arguably had the better relationship with Henry, as they had only a few years difference.

But Fauntleroy had been the only boy he had been told to call a brother, and the man couldn't even stand him.

[b][i]"I wonder if they realize none of this is my fault, that it has [/i]never[i] been my fault.[/b][/i]" He thought bitterly as he entered his stall, his grinned greeting an expertly fine-tuned mask. His stable hands all mumbled their Hello, Sir Henry's, busy at work; polishing Henry's saddle, trimming his chimaera's long talons - leaving them long and lethal, but manuverable.

Altheo stood proudly in the middle of a stall, one large, golden eye turned upon his master. His short, black hair, much like that of a panther, lay sleek and shining, well brushed to look like liquid night. His sturdy paws were wide and positively giant, the only physical indication of his canine genes - the claws were every bit as feline as the rest of the beast.

[b]"Is everything ready Kenneth?"[/b]

A tall, brown haired man, close in age to Henry, nodded distractedly, glancing down at his watch. [b]"Yes, he's looking fine, Henry... you've half an hour, forty five or so until the race starts."[/b]

Henry winked at him. [b]"Get the lads together, eh? We'll go out after we win, celebrate."[/b]

Kenneth, one of Henry's closest friends since childhood, was the son of Dame Anna's friend Karen Ultina, wife of one of a prominent politician in High Czenoble. He raced in the circuits in the amateur level, helping out Henry the rest of the time. [b]"Don't do anything stupid out there, and we'll have ourselves a time."[/b]

[b]"[i]Stupid?[/i] Me? I never!"[/b] Kenneth just shook his head, grinning, and excused himself, going to claim a choice seat for the races.

Henry moved forwards, placing one hand on Altheo's forehead. [b]"Hello, boy. Are you going to win these for us?"[/b] He whispered softly, the hands nearby quickly dispersing, knowing full well they were intruding upon something personal.

Altheo yawned hugely, giving his impossibly long tail a wicked flick, cracking into a bucket full of soapy water. Henry's grin widened as the stable hands quickly moved to clean up the mess. [b]"My thoughts exactly."[/b][/size]

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Harrison was a sound sleeper, like many teenagers, waking up in the morning was an ordeal that often left him sluggish and out of sorts until he had been awake for a while and had some breakfast in him for a bit. Given a chance, he'd sleep half the morning away, though usually the servant assigned to wake him up always made sure that never happened. Cheerfully entering his room and opening the curtains before shaking him away. But this morning it was different and he was too groggy to figure it out as he slipped in and out of sleep.

At one point he realized that he was laying funny, as if something was pressing against his sides as he lay on his stomach, but his tired mind convinced him that he had probably just rolled in the middle of the night and gotten tangled in the blankets as he often did and he kept his eyes shut and drifted back to sleep. Even the sensation as if he was moving and the soft whisper of voices was not enough to drag him out of sleep, but rather served to make him feel like he was dreaming when a loud noise startled him enough to crack one eye open a bit, but since it was dark he merely shifted slightly and went back to sleep.

Harrison didn't know what time it was when the voices became more prominent and hints of light kept hitting part of his face. [I]Why are the servants talking in my room? [/I]He wondered as he opened up his eyes and realized that he was staring at something he did not recognize. Some sort of material that was not the cotton sheets of his bed. He was still struggling to put things together when a jolt from whatever he was lying on caused him to bounce a bit and then something heavy and warm landed on top of him. [I]What the hell?[/I] Harrison froze at the sound of voices coming from close by.

"[B]Careful Fauntleroy, you wouldn't want your steamcar to break down would you?[/B]" A familiar female voice chided.

"[B]Don't be silly.[/B]" Fauntleroy answered. "[B]A simple bump in the road is hardly enough for the car to break down.[/B]"

[I]Fauntleroy? [/I] It was then that Harrison realized that what had landed on top of him was none other that Victoria Ann, still half asleep as she stretched a bit, poking him in the face with her right hand.

"[B]Gah![/B]" Harrison exclaimed as he woke up enough to realize that he had somehow fallen asleep in Fauntleroy's car and ended up wedged between the back and front seats, facing the floor.

"[B]Get off me pest![/B]" He growled loudly as he attempted to get out, finding it difficult as his arms and legs were half asleep.

"[B]Unh...[/B]" Victoria Ann grunted as she hit the back of the front seat as the car came to a quick and sudden halt. Confused she lifted her head and then sleepily scrambled back onto the seat, lying on her back as someone opened the back door to the car.

"[B]What the hell are you two doing here?[/B]"

"[B]Uncle Fonty?[/B]" Victoria Ann said sleepily as she rubbed her eyes with her hands and started sitting up.

"[B]Would someone help me out of here?[/B]" Harrison said with exasperation as he realized that the scabbard his sword was in was caught on something, making it hard for him to get out of the spot he was wedged in.

"[B]You can scold them in a minute Fonty,[/B]" Eva said as she brushed past him and tugged Harrison's scabbard free and then helped him get out of the spot between the front and back seats. Getting him up and sitting on the back seat next to Victoria Ann who was yawning.

Harrison, upon finally seeing just where he was and Fonty's angry expression just cringed.[I] Oh hell![/I] He thought as he realized what had happened. [I]Dad's gonna kill me when he finds out.[/I] But then as he looked out the windows of the car his eyes went wide... There was no mistaking that he was no longer in High Czenoble. [I]Where are we?[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/daedalusavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Opening his eyes slowly, Daedalus sighed softly as the growing light in the bedroom illuminated the room and it's occupants. Harriet looked radiant asleep next to him, she always looked radiant, every morning he had woken up for the last half century he considered it to be his inspiration for the day. Running his fingers down her cheek, he leaned over and kissed her by way of a greeting, she stirred and gave him a loving smile.

"[b]Did you enjoy the party ?[/b]"

"[b]I did, you looked beautiful, better than the day I married you.[/b]" He winked playfully at her.

"[b]And they say your brother is the charming one. Any other children I should know about ?[/b]"

He laughed gently at the thought. No, his brother could have all the women he wanted, looking for the exact combination he wanted to match Patrice, but Harriet was all Daedalus could ever wish for.

"[B]Well... maybe a few...[/b]" He grinned, fishing for a kiss.

"[b]You're awful.[/b]" She rolled her eyes before reaching up and pressing her lips against his.

The pair lay there for what seemed like an age, perfectly content in their embrace. Daedalus was sorely tempted to drift back to sleep with his beloved in his arms, but he'd promised his sister that he would guest lecture at CHAOS and he sensed Moebius would be sorely disappointed if he did not. Admittedly he did not know much about the new headmaster, the man being a historian as opposed to a scientist, it was an odd situation for CHAOS to be run by someone outside of those with a alchemical background.

Daedalus’ own bane in the situation was if the man failed to do his job as per the satisfaction of the board of governors, he would inevitably receive a few pieces of personal correspondence begging him to take over the position. It happened every time and he was becoming quite tired of it. His sister was by far the better candidate, Daedalus did not understand how to raise children, nor did his have a vested interest in the other areas of alchemy outside his own.

“[b]Don’t forget you’ve got that lecture today.[/b]”

How did she always seem to know exactly what he was thinking. It was a puzzlement even the great Daedalus Almagest could not solve. Maybe it was just love.

Slowly he edged his way out of the bed, yawning and stretching before taking his dressing gown off it’s rack and slipping it around his mammoth frame. He leaned back over Harriet and gave her a parting kiss before striding out of the bedroom towards the bathroom. Waiting patiently as always was his manservant Gravius, though in reality, manservant hardly summed up the litany of tasks for which Gravius was responsible, he was Daedalus’ friend and trusted advisor as much as he was his butler.

“[b]Good morning sir.[/b]” No matter how many times Daedalus asked him not to add the sir, it seemed the man could not accept such informality.

“[b]Good morning Gravius.[/b]”

“[b]Your bath is already run, your clothes pressed and waiting for you and breakfast will be served in approximately half an hour as usual. The airship to bring you to the High Academy of Sciences will be here in an hour.[/b]”

“[b]You’ve thought of everything as usual my old friend. What would I do without you ?[/b]”

“[b]Lord knows sir.[/b]” Such a warm comment was as informal as Gravius got, Daedalus merely chuckled.

“[b]Lady Harriet will probably be resting a while longer, ask Maria-Anne to postpone her meal until she requests it.[/b]”

“[b]Of course sir.[/b]”

Scratching his chin, Daedalus walked into the opulent bathroom and sank into the warm bath that awaited him. Allowing his thoughts to drift away for a few minutes.[/SIZE]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b16/Blayze54/Almagest%20Legacy/dawlish-chronicle.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]
[LEFT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Dawlish opened the shutters of his workshop, allowing the early-morning sunshine to flood into the dingy room, and forcing him to shield his eyes with a forearm against the radiance. He hadn't slept at all the previous night, but he didn't usually sleep that much anyway, so it was no big loss.

He had been thinking all night about what Fauntleroy had said, and although he knew that it was probably the half-drunk ravings of an idiotic fop, he couldn't shake it from his thoughts.

He found the crumpled remains of the previous night's outfit on the floor, and pulled the piece of paper from his jacket pocket. He unfolded it, hoping that it would set his mind at ease so he could continue with his work for the day.

What he saw when he unfolded the paper was something he never expected. To be honest, he didn't really know what he
had expected, but this definitely wasn't it.

He looked down upon an old newspaper article, a yellowed page torn out of an archive copy of the Chronicle. It was a fairly small article, probably plucked from the back pages of the newspaper with the obituaries, but the headline was still in bold, clear writing.

[B]Almagest Son In Refinery Accident[/B], the headline read, and Dawlish flattened the paper out on his workbench and sat down to read.
[/FONT][INDENT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Early yesterday morning, a refinery at one of the Almagest family's mines in Brigit Town was destroyed in an explosion, apparently caused by the waste gases from the Gems the Mines were created to collect. Several people were caught in the blast, including Daedalus Almagest's eldest son, Dawlish.

Working as a supervisor to the activities at the Mine, Dawlish was carrying out a routine inspection of the refinery when it exploded. He is currently in a critical condition, and it is unknown whether he will make it out of the Infirmary alive at this stage.

But the events leading up to this supposed "accident" have cast some doubts over the reasoning for it. Many eye-witnesses, mostly mine-workers, claim they saw someone tampering with the refinery early that morning, and when they went to confront the saboteur, they were threatened at sword-point. None of them managed to identify the figure, although some claim it was a large man, dressed entirely in black. Whether these eye-witness accounts are reliable is currently debatable.

So was Dawlish Almagest the unfortunate victim of an horrific accident, or was he the unknowing victim of a murder plot? A court case must surely follow, in which we will hopefully find the answer to this question.
[/FONT][/INDENT][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Dawlish read the article three times, then a fourth, before sitting back in his chair, taking a deep breath and re-folding the paper, tucking it into one of the many pockets in his scarlet overalls. He would definitely confront his Father later in the day, and he should probably find Jacob after he failed to at the party. But right now, it was time for him to go to work. He picked up his identification slip and tucked it into his top left pocket, then headed out of the door on his way to the Magitech Corporation head offices.
[/FONT][/LEFT]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/gadgetavatar.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/maceyellen-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/leonhartavatar.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
[FONT="Georgia"]Gadget listened with his eyes tightly shut as the people who had entered the room walked to his bedside

[B]"This is him, Leonhart"[/B], a voice of a mature woman said. But it wasn't [I]her[/I].

[B]"Yes, I can tell. His blood has started to glow faintly. Are you telling me that it hasn't affected his bodily functions?"[/B] and old man, apparently called Leonhart, asked.

[B]"It really is a miracle, as your daughter says"[/B], the woman replied. "Whereas the rest of the specimens have perished, 071 has been in a stabile condition during these three weeks. It must have a very special heritage, and if we could only pin-point it, then we could seek out other suitable candidates for the project. But I think Macey could do better with explaining this."

[B]"Thank you, Professor Prometheo"[/B], a much younger woman said. This was her! Gadget finally knew her name! [I]Macey[/I]...

[B]"Father, I think it has become time for Project Alchimaera to enter the second phase. We only have this one case where the treatment has been proven to be effective, but one is enough. We should wake him up, discuss with him and ask about his background..."[/B]

[B]"The time is not ripe, Macey"[/B], the other woman intervened with a chilly tone that Gadget was all too familiar with - after all, his supervisors at the factory had all spoken to him with that same voice. [B]"Specimen 071 was taken from a filthy slum in New Czenoble where most of the inhabitants are orphans, and even if it happened to have living parents, they couldn't possibly be substantial to the project."[/B]

[B]"But professor, I cannot think anything else that could separate this [I]boy[/I] from the others..."[/B]

[B]"[I]It[/I] is a [I]specimen[/I], Macey. No need to get your emotions mixed up with it. I do apologize, Leonhart, but the project is simply not far enough for us to be able to move to the second phase yet."[/B]

There was a brief silence, and then the old man spoke. [B]"I understand, Callisto. The Magitech Corporation will continue funding the project, but I suggest you go find more specimens. Unless you find another "miracle" like this one, you have little to give to the Dynast King. Nevertheless, just the idea that thousands of people could do what you've enabled this specimen to do... It is too exciting to simply pass up."[/B]

Gadget was utterly confused. This was the first time he had heard a full conversation in this place, but it seemed to have given him more questions than answers.

[B]"Now, I would like to see the failed experiments. To my understanding you couldn't get anyone else's blood to glow."[/B]

[B]"That is correct, unfortunately"[/B], the woman named Callisto said. [B]"Right this way, Leonhart."[/B]

Gadget heard the three people turn around and walk to the door. He dared himself to take a peek, and managed to get a glimpse of dark hair and a dark dress under a white coat. That was [I]her[/I]. Macey, who considered him as her treasure.

[CENTER]~*~*~*~*~*~[/CENTER]

Gadget tried long and hard to wriggle out of his ties, but all his attempts were futile. He cursed and heaved, until he was simply too exhausted to try anymore. There was a constant risk that someone would enter through the door, or that Macey and the older people would return.

Out of a sudden he heard a mighty explosion, and the whole room shook. The belts were the only thing stopping him from falling to the floor. And just as he came to realize something had happened, there was another explosion further away.

He heard his heart start to race, and the machine behind him beeped louder, until suddenly it fell silent, and the single light bulb in the ceiling went out.

He was alone in a dark room for the longest while, trying to listen to the noise coming outside the door. Finally, the metal door swung open, and Macey rushed in followed by pillows of smoke.

[B]"My treasure, are you alright?"[/B][/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/marieevangeline-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/fauntleroy-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/victoriaann-chronicle.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/Runaway511/almagest/harrison-chronicle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
Victoria Ann had been having the funniest dream, she dreamt that she was in the back of her Uncle Fonty?s car as he drove it through High Czenoble, loaded it into the cargo bay of an airship and then once they arrived and it was unloaded he along with Aunt Eva were heading somewhere in a city she did not recognize. It all seemed so odd, that is until she heard Harrison?s voice growling at her to get off of him. [I]How did I end up here?[/I] She wondered as sudden movement caused her to be shoved into the back seat of Fonty?s car.

A few minutes later, after staring at everyone in a bit of a dumbfounded state, she woke up enough to realize that it wasn?t a dream, she really was in her Uncle Fonty?s car in some strange city. Harrison was sitting next to her, looking as if he were about to be clobbered and looking at how irritated Fonty seemed to be, Victoria Ann wasn?t surprised. After all, niece or not, she was not allowed near his car. But that couldn?t stop her from being excited and with a rush of excitement she practically bounced out of the car.

?[B]Uncle Fonty![/B]? She squealed in an excited voice as she threw herself at him and hugged him tightly before letting go and started walking around the car. Completely missing his look of anger and bewilderment over her actions.

?[B]I can?t believe it! So I wasn?t dreaming! It?s my first adventure![/B]? She exclaimed as she finished walking around the car and started looking around at the buildings. It was a far cry from what she was use to in High Czenoble.

?[B]Now listen here?[/B]? Fauntleroy started to say, but Victoria Ann in her excitement interrupted him and continued.

?[B]What?s the matter with this place? Why are the buildings so poorly made?[/B]? Victoria Ann wondered as she examined a home that was clearly in need of repairs. ?[B]They don?t even have room for a dog or a garden! What kind of servant lets a place get into such a state?[/B]? She turned back to her aunt and uncle with a questioning look.

?[B]Forget about the city,[/B]? Fauntleroy said shortly, shooting Eva an irritated look when she stifled a laugh. ?[B]You aren?t suppose to be here.[/B]?

Victoria Ann just waved her right hand and made a scoffing noise. ?[B]Bah! That?s your fault Uncle Fonty! If you weren?t so stingy about not letting me see your steam car, I wouldn?t have needed to sneak in to get a peek![/B]?

This time Eva couldn?t hold it back as she laughed out loud and then quickly suppressed it when Fauntleroy started to object.

?[B]There?s no changing what happened,[/B]? She pointed out. ?[B]What we need to do is decide what to do next.[/B]?

?[B]Oh that?s easy![/B]? Victoria Ann interjected as she straightened her outfit and then started to fix her pigtails. ?[B]I need a place to wash up and though I?m sure you two have eaten, I have not. If I?m hungry, then I know for sure that Harrison is.[/B]?

?[B]Leave me out of this pest.[/B]? Harrison growled as he too finally got out of the car. Though unlike Victoria Ann he merely stayed near the door and carefully avoided looking Fonty in the eyes.

Victoria Ann turned for a second and stuck her tongue out at Harrison before turning back to her Uncle Fonty. ?[B]Well? What are we waiting for?[/B]? She said in a bossy tone. [/FONT][/COLOR]