OtakuBoards

Things Your City Is Known For

Rachmaninoff

Usually when you think of things that your city is known for, at least in my case, you think of arts, unique places to visit or perhaps even being voted one of the most livable places in the US. But recently I came across an article that just made me laugh as to what SLC is also known for this year. [URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22507910/"][U]America?s Most Lustful Cities[/U][/URL] Apparently we somehow managed to make it to the number five spot on that list and all I?ve done is laugh and laugh over it since I found that article.

So my question to you is what is your city known for? Other than that article which cracks me up, SLC is pretty much known for being the place the Mormons came to. As well as for having good ski resorts, beautiful national parks, etc.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Our city is rich in Folklore...dunno where to begin....

I live in El Paso, Texas. We live right on the Mexican/ US border and we have had a rich tradition of both cultures. Pancho Villa had lived in El Paso for many a year. Billy the Kid has stopped by the area more than once to elude the law. One of our very own is right now floating up on the ISS as an astronaut. Most people know us for our very famous song by Marty Robbins "El Paso". I won't sing it, cause frankly I'm tired of hearing it...but we have lots more things I'm sure I'm not telling you. I still have a lot of things I don't know about this city and I've lived here for almost 14 years.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]My city is known for being a ******-*** tourism spot because it's right on the (disgusting) beach and pretty soon it's going to be known for more I'm gussing since our buildings recently started getting much, much bigger. Mostly we are known by the fact that we are 'For Lovers' - lovers who like ****** beaches I guess, but luckily as a city native I know where the uncrouded ones are, hehehe.

Oh, and I hail from Virginia Beach. Yeah, that's right, we advertise it in our goddamn title. That's just blatantly misleading. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Crime. We export, we import, it comes in hot, or cold, and sometimes bottled.

We're also famous for being the place where people come to when they have warrants in nearby cities. Shy and I joked about this when I first moved here. We're also famous for gangs, predominantly Latino and black. Once we were called "A City On The Move" but now I guess we still are. If you count movement towards inane poverty and crime.

Our main export is crystal meth. Our main import is crack for some reason. I haven't figured out why. Maybe it tastes better? Who knows. But that's where I live. Also famous for the college, but that's like an island of vague sanity in a sea of filth.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Lahti, Finland has a reputation of being "Finland's Chicago", due to a couple of criminal gangs that ruled the streets here few decades ago. It has all calmed down now, though.

Currently Lahti is more known for these ski jump towers, familiar to anyone who watches winter sports frequently (which I don't, btw):
[IMG]http://www.paijat-hame.fi/maka/selvitykset/MARY/ph/kuvat/398/105358.jpg[/IMG]

Also, said to be one of the best concert houses in the world for it's acoustics, the Sibelius Hall (named after the renown Finnish composer) is also situated in Lahti.
[IMG]http://juva.mercuriusonline.com/ezfiles/750/45/O_Sibeliustalo1.JPG[/IMG]

As a bonus, the house I live in is the one below the tall chimney in the above picture. ;D Feel free to pop in for a visit if you ever get lost in this corner of the world!

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I have to admit Rach, that is pretty funny about SLC, but then the rest of Utah knows all of you living there are weirdos. :p [[SIZE="1"]I kid[/SIZE]] Anyway, I live south of where Rach is in what is known as Utah Valley and in my case Provo. Which is known for being home to the highest concentration of Mormon's in the entire state. XP Apparently 88% of the population is Mormon and out of all who attend church 98% of those are Mormon churches. XP

We're also known for being home to Brigham Young University as well as a lot of other establishments that are connected to the Mormon church. We've also been voted most livable city in the US as well as most conservative city in the US. Oh and when the Olympics came to SLC, most people don't realize that part of the venue for the ice hockey was actually in Provo. ^_~ Beyond that though, we're a pretty boring city. XP[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]I've never been to the actual city part of the place that my mailing address comes from, I spend a lot more time in two of the cities that border it, Greensboro and High Point, North Carolina.

Greensboro is known for its abundance of awesome colleges and nightclubs. About half of the nightclubs are all run by the same guy (I met him) and usually within eyesight of any club there is also a "social gathering place" full of anarchists that go around protesting. Usually, once they start, the church gets all nasty and both just start doing silly things.

High Point is known as the Furniture Capital of the World, but in the past few years, all the furniture has become outsourced. Residents like my parents can still find great deals on "real" furniture, but tourists can't! When it's furniture market time, people put up their houses for rent and all the stores put more on the shelves because High point almost doubles in size for a week when market comes.[/font][/size]

[FONT="Georgia"]Ahh, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada... Home to a really big mall. I forget if it's biggest in North America or just in Canada.. but it's pretty damn big, regardless, lol. It has 2 theatres, an amusement park, a full size pirate ship and some flamingoes, an aquarium, a seal show, a skating rink, driving range on the roof and a waterpark.

Other than that.. uhh.. we have a nice river valley and art gallery?[/FONT]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Two maximum security prisons, a juvenile detention center, a tree where three white men were hanged for killing Indians (Native Americans), and more antique shops than you can shake a senior citizen at.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]
And then 20 minutes away, we're known for rich snobs, 86000 banks, big houses and giant neighborhoods, speeding (20 over is pretty normal), & a flag that doesn't make any sense.
[IMG]http://www.fishersfind.com/information/images/FishersFlag.gif[/IMG]
(I think it looks like a no smoking sign.)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Anomaly'][FONT="Georgia"]Ahh, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada... Home to a really big mall. I forget if it's biggest in North America or just in Canada.. but it's pretty damn big, regardless, lol. It has 2 theatres, an amusement park, a full size pirate ship and some flamingoes, an aquarium, a seal show, a skating rink, driving range on the roof and a waterpark.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

So those didn't leave any room for any shops, then? ;D

[COLOR="Navy"][u][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf%2C_Maryland"]Waldorf[/URL][/u] is known for the home of Dr. Mudd, who aided John Wilkes Booth after he assassinated Abraham Lincoln. It's also the home of Chuck Brown, 2 members of Good Charlotte, Christina Milian, and a few others. According to Wiki, it's been called the "shopping capital of Southern Maryland." And Hilary Duff thinks we're ghetto, lol. The worst we have are little ***holes who break windows or spray paint signs and think that makes them "gangsta.":animesmil[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hmm.... Detroit... The most known city in Michigan.

[b]The Motorcity[/b] - That should explain itself, but, honestly, we shouldn't even be called the motorcity anymore. Chrylser, Ford, and GM are doing terrible. All this laying off and crap. If anything, they're struggling to survive. Perhaps it's time to start looking into Toyota... Nissan or something.

[b]Motown[/b] - I never did know why we were called Motown, nor do I really care, but I figure that it's probably because most of your oldie legends (Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross...) were born here and whatnot.

Leave it to me, I'd say we were known for crime, but I found out that our crime rate went down last year... "shrugs" Could've fooled me.[/COLOR]

• 3 years later...
[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]In my hometown in Illinois.. nothing. Except for it's the gateway to a national forest. [spoiler]And drugs.[/spoiler]

As for my current city, Battle Creek, Michigan, it is the world headquarters of the Kellogg Company. Pretty sweet. Known as the 'Cereal City'. And it's the third largest city in MI (not population-wise, but area-wise) after Detroit and Grand Rapids. Known for it's air shows, World's Longest Breakfast Table, it's Aviation School, annddd, I think that's it.

[spoiler]And you may wonder why I said my city name since it's not a major city like Detroit - it's freaking HUGE area-wise, and its unlikely I can be found :V[/spoiler]

AND UGH, since Boo is trolling me about this... I know this is super old, but oh well. The thread just popped up and I decided to post. so leave me alone ;-;[/font][/size][/color] Edited by Elle Jay