OtakuBoards

Another reason to hate the Administration.

Allamorph

[FONT=Arial]So I get this nice little letter in my campus box today from our Office or Residential Life, and although it was very nice and courteous, its subject made me ridiculously angry. I quote ... with censors.

[QUOTE][I][FONT="Arial"]Dear A_______:

A flash drive containing the name and social security number of students who resided in _________ __________ and ___________ residence halls last fall was recently misplaced. Although it may be possible for this information to be accessed by unauthorized individuals, we have no evidence that it has been found or used by anyone.[/FONT][/I][/QUOTE]

It went on to state what actions ResLife was taking, what actions they recommended I take (as one of the affected persons) and a decent apology. Obviously I am not mad at the way they are handling the situation (as far as I now know), but what makes me really aggravated is the first half of the first sentence.

Who keeps confidential information like that on a friggin' [I]flash drive!?!![/I] I seriously cannot fathom that decision. There is basically no way to encrypt the data stored there. (Technically there is, but it's easy to crack according to my sources, which to me means it might as well be Cheez Wiz.) And this is not just an average person with mildly sensitive personal data. This is a total of nine entire dormitories that this drive stored information on?information that has now been potentially compromised.

Now then. I propose a massive gripe session where we complain gratuitously about various administrative stupidity like this....bungle, for lack of a more appropriate word. :p Any of you guys have to deal with bonehead mistakes like that?[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Does this count?
[/COLOR]
[quote=digiboy]at the time, i was living in a rather bad neighboorhood and went to a pretty crappy school. It sucked for me being one of about 5 white kids in the building cuz next to no one ever talked to me and stuff. About 3 weeks before we moved away from there was a particular incident that was memorably zany.

At my school, there was this one guy who was like the hall monitor guy or otherwise disciplinary officer of the school - he was pretty useless, but he would get you in trouble for stupid **** (you had to keep your shirt tucked in at all times, for example, though we only did so when he was around.) The guy was basically a freak cuz he didn't seem to have a brain or any sense whatsoever, and he abused his so-called power like crazy. On this day, that guy as well as the officers who worked at our school came into the classroom because they were going to do a backpack check. They lined all the students up against the walls and started going through all the desks and backpacks in the room!

So the crazy man goes into my backback and pulls out my scissors. I was using one of those big pairs of scissors, and this maniac pulls them out and starts going 'who's is this? Who's backpack is this?' and ****. Me being honest raised my hand timidly and was called forth.

'What ere you doing with these?!' what should I say? 'um... it's a pair of scissors' 'but what were you doing with them?!' what the ****? He's never used scissors before? Are you serious? So this guy starts telling me that I can be prosecuted for this, that I might be expelled and promises me that I'm going to get in trouble. He puts the things in a manilla envelope and everything and hands it to an officer! Needless to say I was freaking out for the rest of the day. Thank god i never heard about that again... I guess he really was all talk...[/quote]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Applied to a college in the area, well within the time limit to get admitted in Fall Quarter. They hemmed and hawed and accepted me...UNTIL ...they called me and mentioned that I'd forgotten to send them some obscure transcripts. So that was a wash.

By the time I'd finished doing the bureaucratic dance of paperwork and *** kissing, I'd been admitted by the 4th week of a 10 week quarter. So I was unable to attend and had to spend time screwing around, rather than working while I waited for this quarter to roll around. And THEN they said I had to reapply for the Winter Quarter, which meant another 55 dollars in admissions fees, which I coughed up, but the ended up waiving. So thank god. But other than that, not much terrible has happened yet besides people forgetting to matriculate my classes from previous universities.

Oh well.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=crimson]Part of my orientation was a play, by non-drama students, on making good moral choices. It was on a stage with limited props, planning, or talent. The actors could not act. The lessons were obvious.

Basically kids:

1.) Drinking impairs your capability to do things.
2.) Unprotected sex can turn out to be a social stigma, medical problem, and can get women pregnant(?!?!).

Thankfully I had made two friends earlier in the day and we made fun of it from the rearmost seat.[/color]

[COLOR="Blue"]OMG OMG OMG!! I have witnessed I don't know how many cases of sheer stupidity!! Though some people might say I'm just a bad driver... Okay so the first problem occurred on New Year's Eve.. I was driving to the local Best Buy to check out if there were any Xbox 360 games that I wanted. However as I was about to come upon the local Dillion's a freaking idiot looked both ways at the crosswalk and looked right at me and started to cross!! This is what's the kicker, [B]I had a green light the entire time.[/B] Fortunately I swerved and missed the fool and honked at him but the dumb idiot gave me a deer-in-the-headlight look.

Then yesterday a high-school kid did the exact same thing!! He crossed at the wrong time but I saw him start to so I stopped fully and the dumb prick walked behind my car with a smug look on his face. I really had an urge to get out and yell at him and give him a few well chosen words at the time.

I have got so many driving stories its not even funny. People here in Kansas just don't know how to drive all together...[/COLOR]

[quote name='Domon'][COLOR="Blue"]I was about to come upon the local Dillion's [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Ah! I remember that store from when I visited Kansas.

I guess a recent story would be from Friday, which is when I first walked into my dorm room. School started last Monday, but because of administrative and financial aid problems, my moving in was delayed. Next to the sink on the counter were two letters from the head of the Res Life office addressed to me. They were dated from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, informing me that because they haven't received my business office approval papers that they would "force me to fully evacuate my room". I had given the Res Life office my business office approval papers Tuesday night, and that is when they gave me the key and reactivated my student ID so I could have access to the building. I had spoken to them on Saturday, explaining that I may be a few days late in moving in, so they knew that I wasn't in a dorm on campus.

Does that make sense to you? I mean, even the reasons of why that would irk me?

I haven't really had much issue with the Administration at the university I attend. Though I could bring up plenty of horror stories from my friends who attend a different one a little further south. Perhaps the one I remember the most was when a buddy was moving to a different student housing apartment complex. Like many places he had a deposit that he had been required to present when moving in and the condition to get it back was that he pass an inspection after he had moved out, showing that the place was still in good condition and clean.

Well he passed, and was even given a paper by the Administration showing that he did and yet that refund never came. Finally he looked into it only to find that even though he had the paper, signed by the staff there no less, it was on their records that he had not passed. What made it worse? It was student housing for Brigham Young University and he was attending Utah Valley State College. In the fine print, since he was not a student at BYU, he had no right for any form of addressing the issue and that slip of paper signed by the staff was worthless. They kept the money because[I] technically[/I], they could get away with it legally.

Naturally, he made the point of never, ever staying in student housing that was associated with BYU again. And since then he's learned that he's not the only UVSC student to be shafted by the Administration when it comes to deposits for renting an apartment.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Ugh. Are they still doing that? Taking advantage of the fact that a student isn't attending BYU to cheat them of their deposit? Obviously it's been a while, but I made the same mistake your buddy did by choosing BYU approved housing and had them do the same thing to me as well since I was a UVSC student at the time. And like him, I never made the mistake of choosing an apartment complex that was firmly associated with BYU again, being ripped off once was more than enough. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that headache anymore, even though it was a long time ago. XP

For something more recent? Those stupid fees for paying for services online. The driver's license office presents it as a fantastic way to save you time and money, when I know that it doesn't cost them $5 to process a check or a credit card. It's just a rip off to tack on more fees. I'm close enough that the drive to their office is cheaper, even with the high cost of gas. And failing that one can simply using a stamp and mail it which is a lot less too.[/FONT][/COLOR]