OtakuBoards

Talents, and Other Strange Things

Aberinkula

[COLOR="1234"]Do you have any talents that are strange, and can you do other stragne things, that other people can't?

As for me, I'm not very talented, ecxept for my vocabulary and for the fact that my firends call me Mr. Scientific. I have a tendency to correct people about the dumbest things. In fact it's a talent, cause I can annoy people pretty well with it. Someone says something wrong, I have to correct them, even if I know what they said.

I can also bend, and I can dislocate(right word?) my thumb, my pinky and my hip. I can crack my knuckles on que, and I can even bend down to my, you know. It has a specific name, but let's not go into that. But if you must know, the word is [spoiler]auto-fellatio[/spoiler] And that's all I'm going to say.

Oh, I can also eat an incredibal amount of meats and candy, and I can chug a whole Mt. Dew in one gulp.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I can repeatedly crack my toes and my right and left hand pinky fingers. There's something amusing about talking about your vocabulary only to misspell incredible in the last sentence. Now that's talent.

I have the ability to see through people's clothing...

The power to control sea animals.

....actually I have a talent for sight reading piano sheet music, making others feel comfortable with talking about personal things, and stroking the egos of poor nerdy boys that just wanna be loved.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#CC0066][font=tahoma][size=2]I have this really amazing gift of telling when someone in upset and being able to type or text like 100 words per minute (Actually my typing score really is 104 words per minute). I'm also talented at dancing without sounding too cocky since I've been a dancer all my life. So I pretty much know many different styles well.

That, and I'm catwoman. [/size][/color][/font]

[COLOR="Indigo"]I can convince anyone of pretty-well anything, provided they have an open mind and some free time.

I can switch seamlessly between big-***, affluent words like "moribund" and "superfluous" and Ebonics. This relates back to number one; so long as yer speaking English, I can talk on your level.

Er... I can break the century mark for words-per-minute if I concentrate enough.

I don't have any real physical talents, unless you consider being big a talent. Oh, wait, I got one: if I'm braced, I'm nearly impossible to knock over. **** ya, center of gravity![/COLOR]

[quote name='Room Service'][COLOR="Indigo"]
I can switch seamlessly between big-***, affluent words like "moribund" and "superfluous" and Ebonics. This relates back to number one; so long as yer speaking English, I can talk on your level.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] I'm pretty sure "superfluous" isn't a big-*** affluent word. [spoiler]Words can be affluent?[/spoiler][/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"][spoiler]Words can be affluent?[/spoiler][/font][/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]Of course dahling. For instance, the word "prosperous" is most certainly living large.

Bad jokes aside, I don't have many talents to be honest. I'm good at making people laugh (at least in person). I'd also like to think I have at least above average analytical and writing abilities. Oh, and I can blow some pretty hardcore smoke rings.[/font]

[FONT="Arial"]I don't usually consider what I have "talent." I can play guitar and sing decently, but for how long I've been doing so I feel like I should be so much better than I am. To me, that's just a learned skill, rather than a talent.

I used to think I was natural really good at acting, but I haven't been able to do it in so long (and I've also met people who are, of course, much better at it than I) that I don't really even know anymore.

The only talent I believe I have is that I'm a pretty good writer. At least, for my age, and compared to other teenagers. My mom is an english teacher and my dad and grandpa have had journalistic jobs, so I guess it's just in the blood. A downside to that is always noticing grammatical errors and dying to correct them and stuff like that. Whenever I see the Nutrisystem "IT WORKS SO GOOD" commercial, or the Proactiv one where the guy was like "I put it on at night, and when I woke up in the morning...you don't have acne!" it hurts my heart.[/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]"I put it on at night, and when I woke up in the morning...you don't have acne!" it hurts my heart.[/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]Urgh, have you ever read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"? You probably have but if you havent, you'll love it lol.

As for me, I'd like to consider my unbelievably positive attitude to everything and my disgustingly patiently patience (yes) as my favourites from whatever talents that I have. I'm also very flexible with my sleeping pattern. Snooze-chameleon!

I havent ever broken any bones in my body before. That's a combination of luck; not bothering to have the worrying things checked out; and being big on my milk lol. Best 'other strange thing' I could do at this time of the night..[/size]

[color=#4B0082]I have a talent for the Subtlety. It's dark green and silver.

I'm talented at most video games and a lot of other stuff that requires good hand-eye coordination. I can pick up most games for the first time and usually at least do above average for a beginner. And if I care to spend the time and effort I can get really freakin' good. Click the Game Videos link in my signature if you want to see examples.

I also have a talent for writing, though I have more trouble writing under pressure or about things I don't have any interest in?so that one only goes so far. I'm mainly good at expressing things clearly, so that they're easily understood, rather than creating stories. Not that I can't write narrative, I just lack the creativity inherent in creative writing.

I'm pretty good at understanding horribly typed posts (including most leet speak :o) but I'm not sure if that's something I should be proud of.

And, uh ... I'm awesome?[/color]

120 wpm! Hahaha! FTW!
Nah, it's around 100 when I'm not really focused and I don't have what I'm going to write down. When I'm focused, have what I need to write in front of me, then I easily go 120+ every time. In short, writing essays, memos, and business letters, I'd be an awesome secretary. IMs/chatting... not so much, haha.

Uhm... I can do one full one-handed chinup with my left hand (meaning from straight arm, to chin over bar). Oddly enough, I can only hold a one-handed handstand with my right hand.

I haven't played a fighting game in ages, but I used to get in "the zone" frequently (that's when everything seems like it's moving slowly so you can respond to even your opponent's fast attacks - not the same as anticipating or guessing). I played Assassin's Creed recently, which has AI fighting at least, and I seemed to have lost it (or the game engine just sucks, not sure).

Even though I'd like to be the opposite, I can get lost in my own world and not notice even the most obvious things. I'm not detail-oriented or observant. I'm absent-minded and can pretty much ignore a person in a conversation. Like, three of us could be talking, and if he bored me enough, I could involuntarily ignore (REALLY IGNORE) the person, not even have a clue he's there.

I know/comprehend/read three languages, but I can only speak one (english, if you were wondering, lol).

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I just lack the creativity inherent in creative writing.[/color][/QUOTE]

I was absolutely certain I couldn't write creatively all through high school, but when confronted with a fanfic concept by my sister, I quickly uncovered a hidden talent within myself. So, don't decide you can't do it until after you've spent months on something you truly enjoy thinking and writing about, and if after that you it still isn't just flowing from you, then, yeah you probably just don't have the knack.

I have some normal talents and some freakish ones that some may consider more of a curse than anything else. I know I have at times. A normal one - after I hear a rhythm once, it can be recalled months later. This proves very useful in the Taiko troupe of which I'm a part. We start writing a new song (none of which is written down - oversight), the weather turns ultra crappy and we can't meet, then a long break means no taiko, leading to a total of over six weeks since we started. Johnie, the main creator, can't even remember what all we'd come up with, and I just pound it out for them on our odaiko. I love receiving applause from my colleagues.

A talent I'm very thankful to have (due to my great passion for the musical arts) is the natural ability to harmonize with pretty much any melody. I think this may have been more a learned skilled than I give it credit for, but I'm thrilled either way. I typically enjoy singing or playing harmony while in my trio more than melody. As a musician, I realize that when it comes to recognizable music, harmony is harder to do, straight up.

Now the wierd one - for about the last twelve years, I figuartively "see" every word I hear anyone say. So, if you're talking to me, I visualize each word as you speak. I see the shape, the way the vowels flow. Depending on how you stress the word, it may be italicized or bold. I see punctuation, drop-downs for new trains of thought. You get the picture. You also get how it can be distracting at times and therefore a hinderance. If too many people are carrying on conversation around me, I get overwhelmed. For this reason, I prefer to be in smaller groups, not so much enjoying parties with dozens of people. There are other people with this "gift". One woman was even published reporting that she sees [I]different colors[/I]. If I had to name a color, it would black. Oh, and pretty much it's always in Times New Roman. I don't know why, so don't ask. It can come in handy. I rarely, if ever, can't properly spell a word. I mean I've been seeing it spelled for over a decade. And in my family, I get quite the plethora of terms set before my eyes. Since I've begun learning some Japanese, I now see most Japanese words spelled out in romaji. And because I've taken some Spanish, I see that too. Any other language just rolls off and I don't visualize it. If there's a word I [I]don't[/I] know how to spell, it kind of sticks out at me, as if it were flashing, perhaps.
So far, I haven't actually met anyone that shares this quirk with me. With a little research, we discovered it's linked to a mild form of OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder, for you non-Monk fans). Oh well. Mystery solved.

[quote name='TwistedChick']Now the wierd one - for about the last twelve years, I figuartively "see" every word I hear anyone say. So, if you're talking to me, I visualize each word as you speak. I see the shape, the way the vowels flow. Depending on how you stress the word, it may be italicized or bold. I see punctuation, drop-downs for new trains of thought. You get the picture. You also get how it can be distracting at times and therefore a hinderance. If too many people are carrying on conversation around me, I get overwhelmed. For this reason, I prefer to be in smaller groups, not so much enjoying parties with dozens of people. There are other people with this "gift". One woman was even published reporting that she sees [I]different colors[/I]. If I had to name a color, it would black. Oh, and pretty much it's always in Times New Roman. I don't know why, so don't ask. It can come in handy. I rarely, if ever, can't properly spell a word. I mean I've been seeing it spelled for over a decade. And in my family, I get quite the plethora of terms set before my eyes. Since I've begun learning some Japanese, I now see most Japanese words spelled out in romaji. And because I've taken some Spanish, I see that too. Any other language just rolls off and I don't visualize it. If there's a word I [I]don't[/I] know how to spell, it kind of sticks out at me, as if it were flashing, perhaps.
So far, I haven't actually met anyone that shares this quirk with me. With a little research, we discovered it's linked to a mild form of OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder, for you non-Monk fans). Oh well. Mystery solved.[/QUOTE]Sounds more like that condition Dagger taught us all about: [U][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia]Synesthesia[/url][/U], but doesn't look like any of the particular ones listed in the wikipedia article.

I have a weird "talent" of getting people to confide the strangest things to me. I'm an open person myself, I like to blabber about all sorts of things that other people would usually keep to themselves, but recently I've found out that perhaps because of that, people tell me their worries and troubles. I guess it helps them to be able to confide to [I]somebody[/I]...

If only I was a totally trustworthy person, which unfortunately I'm not. XP I can keep a secret to myself, sure, but not much else. Yes, I'm a gossiper of the worst kind.

[COLOR="#004a6f"]I play violin, but I wouldn't call this a talent, just a skill. I've never taken lessons or went to music schools, so I don't have the level of skill people who take lessons would, because I just haven't learned all the techniques they've been taught. But I play pretty well for someone who just took music class in middle and high school (I was one of the few people who had good tuning and overall tone and musical expression in the orchestra, and usually got high 90's on our tests).

But I would say my real talent is that I'm very good at playing by ear. Unless a piece has very complex and fast notes, I can always figure it out. But having a good ear has caused me to be pretty bad at sight reading, so I always used to fall behind in music class when the teacher gave us the notes to a new piece without letting us hear it first.

One weird talent I have is that I can roll my tongue in a wave motion. I?m not sure if many others can do that, but it always surprised my friends when I was young, so I guess not many people can do it.[/COLOR]

[quote name='TwistedChick']I was absolutely certain I couldn't write creatively all through high school, but when confronted with a fanfic concept by my sister, I quickly uncovered a hidden talent within myself. So, don't decide you can't do it until after you've spent months on something you truly enjoy thinking and writing about, and if after that you it still isn't just flowing from you, then, yeah you probably just don't have the knack.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Well, it's not that I [i]can't[/i] write creatively. I sometimes get bursts of inspiration and I can act on those. But I'm not naturally creative; I can't just sit down and go, "Okay, I'm going to work out a plot for this story concept I have." I have to wait for good ideas to come to mind or else my writing is aimless and those ideas are pretty rare. My DailyOtaku fanfic is a good example of this since I've only managed to write six issues in the four years it's been around yet what I have written has gotten a lot of compliments.

The same is true of working with graphics. I'm decent at editing but when it comes to original compositions I'm usually pretty lost even if I have a subject I want to work with.

And this is something I've discovered over the last six or so years, so it's not exactly a sudden decision.[/color]

[font=arial][size=1]Like Sandy, people confide in me for no particular reason. I know most of their deepest fears, who they like, etc.

I'm amazing at recommending new music to people, even if they don't listen to anything close to what I listen to. I have found the favorite band for several of my friends, haha.

Strange things about me include the fact that some sort of defense mechanism has stopped me from remembering my dreams. I've had like two dreams since I was eight years old. Also, my life from fifth grade to eleventh grade is extremely foggy. I had a girlfriend who messed me up really bad psychologically and I had a breakdown when I finally left her, and I don't really remember much about it now! I really want to see a psychologist to work all this stuff out.

There's other things that I do better than most, but it's not enough for me to really say anything about it.[/font][/size]

[quote name='AzureWolf'][U][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia]...Synesthesia[/url][/U], but doesn't look like any of the particular ones listed in the wikipedia article.[/QUOTE]

I've also seen how studies indicate there is a likeness between this condition and autism - not that one accompanies the other, but that they both shape the way someone interprets things around them. My case seems to be unique, but I'm fine with that. Funny though, how a person like me who was barely able to hear until age three would no more than five years later have a condition in which [I]everything[/I] I hear is impressed upon me with twice the emphasis. It's like I'm making up for what I'd missed out on before.

Another strange thing (while we're on the subject of my abnormalities), like Face mentioned, I've also had some memory lapses. There are specific things I still remember, but within the first few months after I graduated high school, most all of my memories up until that point simply disappeared. It's as if I've repressed them, but there'd be no reason for that. The only thing "traumatic" that happened during school was the whole experience. I stress over things far more than is healthy for any individual. Everyone had high expectations for me, following after my "genuis" brother, expectations I knew I'd fulfill and did, but I never would have guessed that would lead to latent stress that once released would have catastrophic results. Now that it's been a few years, it saddens me to realize how much I've lost. Maybe a psychologist could help bring some of it back, I don't know. My younger sister has mentioned dozens upon dozens of things we did together growing up that I simply have to take her word for. (Now if you couldn't tell, this is the part where you feel sorry for me. ... yeah, right. Who am I kidding? I'm out of school! Bye bye, childhood memories. Hello life.)

• 1 month later...
i'm a very sensitive girl... sometimes i know what's gonna happen next...like premonition for me or for other peopl, i have those on dreams or just imeges/ words oming into my head anytime, i have a strong intuition....i can see other pple's aura and feel what they're feeling... also see, feel and hear spirits...............................

but all of us can do that. really.:animesmil

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Wow, I'm going to have to do a LOT of quoting in here. Starting with the one of utmost importance, so brace yourselves for another of my lengthy posts.

[/FONT][/COLOR][QUOTE]Now the wierd one - for about the last twelve years, I figuartively "see" every word I hear anyone say. So, if you're talking to me, I visualize each word as you speak. I see the shape, the way the vowels flow. Depending on how you stress the word, it may be italicized or bold. I see punctuation, drop-downs for new trains of thought. You get the picture.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I have the exact same problem. It really is distracting. Whenever I spell something wrong, I perfect it. Drill it into my mind. (Did you notice 'figuartively'? That one bothered me.) Do you ever lie in bed, trying to sleep, but words keep popping into your mind? I spell them, spell them backwards, count the letters in each word, words in a sentence, letters in a sentence, characters including punctuation in a sentence, and so on.
I just can't understand people who can't spell. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

[/FONT][/COLOR][QUOTE][COLOR=#4b0082]Click the Game Videos link in my signature if you want to see examples.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ah! Someone who shares my passion for Super Metroid (Well, actually, Metroid in general. I can't get past the very beginning of Super Metroid). I love video games. I really do. But I have neither the skill nor patience for them. Not something I can REALLY get into, if you know what I mean. I think it's stress-related. In fact, I'll look into your walk-throughs because like I said, can't get past the beginning. Lack of patience.

[/FONT][/COLOR][QUOTE][U][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia"]Synesthesia[/URL][/U],[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]My absolute favourite word. Take a look at my AIM screen-name.

[/FONT][/COLOR][QUOTE][SIZE=1]Urgh, have you ever read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]My absolute favourite book! Jeebus, this thread seems to be made for my reply.

[/FONT][/COLOR][QUOTE][FONT=Arial] Oh, and I can blow some pretty hardcore smoke rings.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Me too, me too. I was just about to get to that, when I looked back whilst quoting the last one, and I was like woah. Now I have to quote something ELSE.

Anyway, on to the main course.

If you haven't noticed, I spell everything right. I never have to use spell-check. On the rare occasion that I do, someone's bound to correct me eventually and it sticks.
I wouldn't call this a talent, but I also speak French. It isn't a talent because I was raised bilingual. I learned English after I had grasped the concept of language and knew basic French. Around 6 years old.
However, even though I knew French before English, my French spelling is often poor. Grammar also. I confuse 'es' and 'est' frequently, because the pronunciation is similiar and my concept of French is phonetic.

A talent that I have often concerns my friends and family. I have a poor memory and can't remember facts, except for two things. The first is serial killers. I could tell you name of a serial killer, date born and date died (if any), MO, childhood experiences, and the date each murder was committed and the names of the victims.
That's what bothers my family and friends.
[U]Also I have a gun, knives, and swords mounted on my wall next to the serial killer dictionary.[/U]

The next thing I can memorise would be music. The genre of a band, the members, what instruments they play, albums, lyrics. But only if I actually like the band of course. I have to REALLY like them.

Both of these things just stick in my memory. I don't TRY to remember them, just happens.

So I guess that's all. I'm not very talented, I don't think.
Sorry for the post length, guys. I got a bit carried away with this one.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Something unique to me and only few others in my family is ambidexterity, I, one of my uncles, and my niece are all ambidextrous, we can easily do with one hand what we can do with the other, like writing, painting, drawing, anything. It's kind of a weird thing in my family given most of them are right-handed though there are a few southpaws (term not meant as an insult) as well.

Another thing I have going for me is art related. I'm self taught in pencil art, photography, and pyrography (that's wood burning in case the term is unfamiliar). I kind of have a knack for being able to do visually artistic things pretty much by eye.

A weird and unsettling thing about me relates to extra-sensory stuff, specifically numerology. If I see a certain number repeating (I'm not posting the number to prevent anyone from testing me on this, it upsets me to that degree), I know that within one to three days, I'll be seeing on the news or hearing about someone dying or being killed. That actually began to happen last year when my aunt passed away.